Mike Patton Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    HUGE fan of Mike Patton......I enjoy and appreciate all of his projects on different levels and for different reasons - a totally inspired mad scientist

any fans out there should track down the soundtrack he has released for the short film "A Perfect Place"......its GREAT!!!!!!!!!
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    There's a difference between you not liking his voice and it being average. Just accept that you're dislike is a matter of taste and that assuming he is bad because you don't like his music is sheer lunacy. I know someone who HATES Patton's music and recognises that his voice is unnaturally impressive. He uses it as an instrument in the most literal sense. His range is insane, his power unparalleled by any of his contempories and some of his music (FNM, his work with Eyvind Kang, Kaada and the Dillinger Escape Plan) is utterly brilliant.

Agreed. His voice is far beyond average. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-XzqcP79vQ
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
    LongRd. wrote:
    Crudo??? whoa nice, I haven't read much on the recent activities of Patton. Last I heard was he did the voice-over for alot of the characters in I Am Legend.

Can't wait for that Mike-Dan duo. Been a fan of the Automator since he released the HandsomeBoy Modeling School stuff. Then discovered his old produced classic "Dr. Octagon" CD with Kool Keith- which is freckin' insanely hilarious.

He actually ruined the movie for me (not that it was great to begin with). Every time I heard the creatures howling or screeching I pictured Mike in the studio screaming his ass off. LOL

He's done a lot of video game work too. He did voice work for Bionic Commando and he also voiced The Darkness. I'm not a gamer but I heard that if you finish the game you get treated to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw6N7H1OWm0

Dan is the man. His work on the Gorillaz first album was great, they went downhill after he stopped working with them.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
    He's a crooner. That's why I like him. On the flipside though, his voice sounds great on songs like 'Surprise you're dead'. Oh and 'RV'. :D
    I always just found Faith No More's stuff to be really catchy. I don't know any of his side projects.

He brings those two voices together quite nicely on this one. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXI47_URvmE
    Mike Patton is my favorite singer, period. I just got a ticket to see the first Crudo show ever and I can't wait. If anyone is in the Bay Area, it's May 22nd at the Great American Music Hall and I think tix are still available

Wow! That's awesome. I really wish I could make the trek out to the Bay for this show but I just took a week off to see Eddie in Santa Barbara. If this show was on a Saturday I would have been able to make it.

I'm crossing my fingers for a tour and hoping they'll play Philly, Cleveland or somewhere within driving distance.

You'll definitely have to post a review, I'd love to hear about it. :)
    jimed14 wrote:

HaHa!! That vid has started more arguments I think than the old Chili Peppers debate (which still goes on!) LOL
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    This Mike Patton is an amazing singer. Just blows my mind. This guy is not a great frontman or performer, his voice is average at best. Saying its lunacy cuz I think is voice is average, call it what ya want. Ya he makes the music he wants too, big deal that dont make him great.
    This Mike Patton is an amazing singer. Just blows my mind. This guy is not a great frontman or performer, his voice is average at best. Saying its lunacy cuz I think is voice is average, call it what ya want. Ya he makes the music he wants too, big deal that dont make him great.

Not everyone likes the same things. That's what makes music great, there is always something out there for everyone. Who do you think are great vocalists?
  • This Mike Patton is an amazing singer. Just blows my mind.

THIS PART...

Does not match with this...
    This guy is not a great frontman or performer, his voice is average at best. Saying its lunacy cuz I think is voice is average, call it what ya want. Ya he makes the music he wants too, big deal that dont make him great.

1. you are HORRIBLE at sarcasm

2. You haven't listened to a single second of music the man has made

3. goodbye.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    THIS PART...

Does not match with this...

1. you are HORRIBLE at sarcasm

2. You haven't listened to a single second of music the man has made

3. goodbye.

ah ah, great post :D
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    aside from a few tracks i think Angel Dust is one of the best albums.

i love Patton, but i must admidt, all his projects of lost me, not because i dont like them, but because i couldnt keep up!! lol. but now that the music scene is in the shitter again, ill be able to catch up on some of his work i missed.

my contribution.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGKjeRgn4CA&feature=related

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnVZDvUh1I
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    My mind is finding it hard to compute this post.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Mike Patton is a musical genius... he could possibly pass for God... after Ed of course ;):D:D

end of thread. ;)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Still my favourite funny Patton video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHrGLkFG6U
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    Mike Patton is a musical genius... he could possibly pass for God... after Ed of course ;):D:D

end of thread. ;)

it's statements like this that i just don't get. i understand the differences of opinions, but there are so many people that seem to think that he is the greatest thing in music, but i can't get into anything he does. i've watched most of the videos posted in this thread only to stop them after a minute or so with an increased dislike of what he does!

i can normally respect someone's talent even though i do not like the music, but in Patton's case, i make an exception. maybe when i am older and my hearing is mostly gone, i will like his music more ;)
  • This is when I first became aware of Faith No More. Keep in mind this was on local TV. I think I was watching this show for MC Hammer or something.

Best acceptance speech ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQS5Ypj3PYc

Long version, with performance footage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp8WHtlA0QU
    Eric
    lephty wrote:
    it's statements like this that i just don't get. i understand the differences of opinions, but there are so many people that seem to think that he is the greatest thing in music, but i can't get into anything he does. i've watched most of the videos posted in this thread only to stop them after a minute or so with an increased dislike of what he does!

i can normally respect someone's talent even though i do not like the music, but in Patton's case, i make an exception. maybe when i am older and my hearing is mostly gone, i will like his music more ;)

Are you a huge Wolfmother fan by chance? I just have to ask. ;)
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    mbangel10 wrote:
    Are you a huge Wolfmother fan by chance? I just have to ask. ;)

heh.. not at all, though i did get that album and grew tired of it quickly. though if i had to choose between seeing a Wolfmother concert or seeing some Patton band concert, i would choose Wolfmother!

i must admit, i am interested to see what he is going with dan the automater. does anyone have any info on what this is?
    lephty wrote:
    heh.. not at all, though i did get that album and grew tired of it quickly. though if i had to choose between seeing a Wolfmother concert or seeing some Patton band concert, i would choose Wolfmother!

i must admit, i am interested to see what he is going with dan the automater. does anyone have any info on what this is?

Nope, pretty much what's been posted in this thread is all that's known so far. After they "debut" the new music in May at the Sasquatch Festival (or the warm-up show a few days before) is when everyone will know more about it. No release date for the record is set that I know of.

I'm on the other side of the fence when it comes to his music. I don't know how anyone cannot like at least one thing that he does. Patton (and his previous bands) has inspired so many musicians that are on the radio right now it's crazy. Incubus (their early albums are a total homage to Mr. Bungle, they even got their name from a Bungle song), SOAD, Disturbed (who I hope do not massacre "Midlife Crisis" on their new album), Papa Roach, Deftones, Slipknot, Korn, and the list goes on.....

I get that everyone has a different ear for music but I just can't figure out what's not to like about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJAX_JSe9Wk
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    lephty wrote:

I cannot imagine how anyone could NOT love FNM's The Real Thing and Angel Dust :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Still my favourite funny Patton video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHrGLkFG6U

Anthony Kiedis really was a dick to Mike back in the day. They did this concert to mock the Chili Peppers after Kiedis got Mr. Bungle knocked off the bill for a couple of major music festivals. The Chili Peppers had final say as headliners but Kiedis did it on his own. The bands manager apologized to Mike on behalf of the rest of the band after it happened and said that it was all on Kiedis.

What's odd is that those two had even met prior to this and Patton thought they had buried the hatchet but then Kiedis turned around and did that.

I don't blame Mr. Bungle for the mocking them. Plus, it's funny as hell. :)

I just gotta add another vid... this is my favorite Mr. Bungle song of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZFyhZY84w&feature=related
  • Anthony Kiedis is a talentless fucking hack.

If he hadn't have been friends with great musicians, he never would have done fuckall in music and would still be nothing but a Z-list actor named Cole Dammet
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    I'm firmly in the Mike Patton Is Genius camp. No one has mentioned Mondo Cane yet:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=patton+mondo&search_type=

The sound quality on some is better than others.

Fantomas really has to be seen live. I only pull out their records once a year or so. Tomahawk's first two are excellent...Anonymous is interesting, but I know I won't listen to it frequently. Same with A Perfect Place. Lovage is fantastic. Peeping Tom is ok...they were also better live. Much of that is because Dub Trio was the backing band and did an excellent job. His collaboration with John Kaada is pretty good.

And what more can be said about FNM and Bungle...
  • everything by faith no more is fucking incredible

fantomas, eh... hugely dissapointed with the first one, like their concepts alot (remaking movie themes, recreating looney tunes music) probably will never buy another fantomas album, but i would burn a copy from a friend

peeping tom - sounded great for a while but i burned out on it. time to pull it out again, though

tomahawk - first album has some extremely good stuff on it, some that is just kinda whatever. curious about the other records

lovage - heard it once... pretty good... big automator fan, too

mr. bungle - "california" is fucking jaw-droppingly brain-blowingly phenomenal. don't know the other albums at all

never heard of this new band with the automator... thanks for the headsup.
  • mbangel10 wrote:
    Anthony Kiedis really was a dick to Mike back in the day. They did this concert to mock the Chili Peppers after Kiedis got Mr. Bungle knocked off the bill for a couple of major music festivals. The Chili Peppers had final say as headliners but Kiedis did it on his own. The bands manager apologized to Mike on behalf of the rest of the band after it happened and said that it was all on Kiedis.

What's odd is that those two had even met prior to this and Patton thought they had buried the hatchet but then Kiedis turned around and did that.

I don't blame Mr. Bungle for the mocking them. Plus, it's funny as hell. :)

I just gotta add another vid... this is my favorite Mr. Bungle song of all time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeZFyhZY84w&feature=related
    Yeah I remember reading about that. Patton is more talented than Kiedis will ever be, but Kiedis was still an ass to prevent Bungle from playing those festivals.
    everything by faith no more is fucking incredible

fantomas, eh... hugely dissapointed with the first one, like their concepts alot (remaking movie themes, recreating looney tunes music) probably will never buy another fantomas album, but i would burn a copy from a friend

peeping tom - sounded great for a while but i burned out on it. time to pull it out again, though

tomahawk - first album has some extremely good stuff on it, some that is just kinda whatever. curious about the other records

lovage - heard it once... pretty good... big automator fan, too

mr. bungle - "california" is fucking jaw-droppingly brain-blowingly phenomenal. don't know the other albums at all

never heard of this new band with the automator... thanks for the headsup.

You're welcome!

The other two Tomahawk albums are really good too. Mit Gas especially...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37OshaFTi6E

Anonymous is old indian tribal music that is redone with the Tomahawk touch... it's very cool but definitely different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PgJcSM-cbQ&feature=related

California is a masterpiece.... I still love that CD. I think it's even better than Angel Dust, which is a hard album to top.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    but nothing he has done is great.

King for a day and the 2nd Tomahawk album

lemme guess, you haven't heard either
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    Mr. Bungle > all.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I cannot imagine how anyone could NOT love FNM's The Real Thing and Angel Dust :)
    How I feel.

I never liked their subsequent albums and the debut was patchy.

As for Peeping Tom and Mr Bungle, well partly due to this thread I've acquired their music, haven't gotten round to listening yet.

EDIT- The Live in Brixton video was a classic!
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,275
    bharQ wrote:
    King for a day and the 2nd Tomahawk album

lemme guess, you haven't heard either
    I've always thought that start to finish KING FOR A DAY was FNM best album. Although Angel Dust of course is their most ambitious. And Tomahawk1 to me was what FNM would have gone on to sound like if they were still together and Patton had full control.