Options

The 'why dont you like STP' thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Tnerb248 wrote:
    no one had really said anything regarding why they dont' like them.

I thought I did
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Seems to me like Scott has an ego problem.
    not disagreeing, but it's probably more of a heroin problem
  • Options
    I have to say, I hated STP for a looong time... Weiland's voice can be super annoying... then they did two things:

1) released Lady Picture Show, which is one of my all time favourite songs

2) opened up for the Red hot chilli peppers like 5 years ago or something.. I went there for the Chillis, but Weiland blew them off the stage before they even came out. He is a really wild front man, and they played a wicked set.

I don't hate STP (anymore), but I don't own any of their albums either.

-stef
    * Molson Amphitheatre - June 28, 2003
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 19, 2005
    * Eddie Vedder- Massey Hall- Aug 12, 2008
    * Molson Amphitheatre - Aug 21, 2009
    * HSBC Arena - May 10, 2010
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 11 2011
    * Air Canada Centre - Sept 12 2011

• Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    because there music sucks
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Core was a great album.... awesome.. loved it

Trippin in a hole in a Paper Heart is an awesome song, too
    Nothing Better than Leather, man!

''i dont wanna think, i wanna feel''
  • Options
    IThey were a good band for good rock singles but they don't have an album that stands the test of time.

I think their second album "Purple", is an album that will stand the test of time. It is the second best sophomore effort that I can think of (Vs. being #1).

Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, and Big Empty were the three singles. But just listen to some of the "b-sides":

Pretty Penny
    Silvergun Superman
    Lounge Fly
    Still Remains
    Army Ants
    Kitchenware and Candybars

and I think you will see that this album is work of genious.
    all encompassing trip...
  • Options
    They did some catchy tunes, but am I the only one who remembers that it was said that they were manufactured as an ersatz PJ?
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    because there music sucks

So does your use of the word "there" :D But we still love YOU, Dont we?
    twisted thoughts....

www.myspace.com/twistette

"Na-noo Na-noo!"
  • Options
    crmb1c wrote:
    I think their second album "Purple", is an album that will stand the test of time. It is the second best sophomore effort that I can think of (Vs. being #1).

Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, and Big Empty were the three singles. But just listen to some of the "b-sides":

Pretty Penny
    Silvergun Superman
    Lounge Fly
    Still Remains
    Army Ants

AMEN.. Purple is an amazing album. I will never get sick of it. Still Remains..
    twisted thoughts....

www.myspace.com/twistette

"Na-noo Na-noo!"
  • Options
    They did some catchy tunes, but am I the only one who remembers that it was said that they were manufactured as an ersatz PJ?

This definitely isn't true. Scott and Rob met at a Black Flag concert in '85, I believe, and the whole band was together by '87 or '88. They released a demo in early '90 that included Wicked Garden, Naked Sunday, Where the River Goes, a song called Only Dying which was the basis for Big Empty, and several funk-based songs. I think the PJ reference you remember is the critics originally bashing them as PJ ripoffs, which in hindsight is a bit ridiculous. But no, they had an organic formation.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    .I think that their first 3albums were all great without in my opinion reaching 'classic' status. The last two records were a litte trite and seemd to echoe too much of the shit that abounds today(that annoying rat with the backwards baseball cap- he had some fuckwit song wit the chorus:'keep rollin, rollin rollin......'). One thing is that I never heard the scott weiland solo record which I was always curious about--remember it got terrible reviews at the time and that(should not have)put me off taking the potiential risk...................Anyway, I really do rate STP and perhaps they suffered only because there were so may great bands around at that time. If 'core' was released tomorrow it'd be like a fuckin god-send but then I suppose it could just as easily fall by the wayside;maybe the musical epoch of 'core' and 'purple' helped to propel it.....hmmm. As for the pj comparisons, which a big deal was made out of, and songs like 'plush' really would have been pearljam to any musical layman, well they were just as trying for that led zep thing as well...............................didnt like the velvet revolver record but am glad that weiland didnt succumb the way others did and is still around.
  • Options
    crmb1c wrote:

Pretty Penny
    Silvergun Superman
    Lounge Fly
    Still Remains
    Army Ants

Purple is a great album. It's one of my favorites to throw in when I am going on a long drive. I saw STP at UIC Pavilion in 94. Awesome show. Got so close to Scott I could see in his eyes that he had no idea where he was. Saw VR last year too and they didn't put on too bad of a show. Weiland is a good frontman and always puts on an entertaining show. I wish there were more bands like STP around today...
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    crmb1c wrote:

Pretty Penny
    Silvergun Superman
    Lounge Fly
    Still Remains
    Army Ants

Great, great album....you are dead-on about its ranking in the sophmore category........"Unglued" deserves some serious mention as a great song, and the bonus track is just a hoot!!!
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    i remember seeing the Plush video for the first time........i honestly thought eddie cut his hair and dyed it orange.......then when i noticed the other guys in the band were not PJ, and the name at the end of the video was STP, i was confused.......i couldn'nt believe that WASN'T eddie
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,070
    I think...STPMatt likes them.
  • Options
    STP is a great great band, one of my top 5 easily. With Pearl Jam up there too. I really don't understand the hate for Weiland, I love him! Sure, he has changed a little bit since vr but he is still an awesome artist.
    `~.:.~`.History doesn't make something right`~.:.~`
  • Options
    The pilots rocked and their abums still do time and time again, wish people wouldnt make comparisms with PJ, i really dont think they sound like each other at all.
    They did well to keep it going for so long with the state of Weiland over the years, not many bad songs on any album, if you either sing or play an instrument you ll appreitiate just how good some songs are, and i cant help seeing lennon and bowie when i hear weilands melodies on some songs.
    If your unsure about this band then check out "purple" (2nd album) , "no.4" (yes,4th album), and weilands solo project "12 bar blues", excellent.

I remember buying "TEN" when it came out back in the day and since then i ve pretty much grown up with Pearl jam and no other band comes close, but some deserve a bit more credit and in my opinion STP were alot better than most of the sh*t out there.

Anyone who got a ticket to apr 20th at astoria (london) enjoy !!
    - i didnt get one, gutted !!

Cant wait for new album even more now. Bring it on.
  • Options
    stpmattbstpmattb Posts: 956
    bobasfeet wrote:
    I think...STPMatt likes them.

They are okay ;)
  • Options
    blacknapkinsblacknapkins Posts: 2,176
    The pilots rocked and their abums still do time and time again, wish people wouldnt make comparisms with PJ, i really dont think they sound like each other at all.

If I remember correctly, the comparisons go back to the early days of STP and may have been record-company created. Radio stations playing them and magazines writing about them didn't do anything to discourage that.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    STP is great sooo underrated. Def my 2nd fav band behind PJ. And i love VR too. maybe i just love Scott Wieland
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    StuffnJunk wrote:
    i remember seeing the Plush video for the first time........i honestly thought eddie cut his hair and dyed it orange.......then when i noticed the other guys in the band were not PJ, and the name at the end of the video was STP, i was confused.......i couldn'nt believe that WASN'T eddie

I thought the same, but I was only 9 or 10 at the time so I can be forgiven ... right?

;)