Options

5 Most overrated bands right now

Comments

• Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,450
    Fall out boy
    System of a down ( there just fucking horrible)
    John Lennon- 1 good fucking solo album
    and last but not least....

RADIOHEAD
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    Franz Ferdinand.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    miller8966 wrote:
    RADIOHEAD

yeah, i cant believe i forgot them. they havent released a decent song since ok computer. key word being SONG. sure they've released some pleasant sounding ambient noise... but a tune, or melody, or anything would be nice.

also, i dig coldplay but i cant see how people would say they're over-rated. they get billed as rock's saviors or something. but they're really more like a good u2 tribute band :)
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    -Coldplay does have potential to be a good band. They're talented musicians, but the vocals in my eyes are a bit too whiny.

-Fall Out Boy is just another pop punk band that needs to fade away quicker than they appeared.

-The Mars Volta are also talented musicians but the vocals are horrendous. The vocalist sounds like he's crying during every song on Frances The Mute.

-Jack Johnson is an ok musician, his music just tends to sound the same. Personally I think Ben Harper deserves a lot more radio play and credit than Johnson does. Harper's lyrics and songs are much more complicated and beautiful.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    JSBE wrote:
    for pure argument sake, i would like to know EXACTLY why you think the beatles are overrated. your argument cannot include "i don't like them" as one of your reasons.

half the bands listed so far (if not more) i either don't like or have never heard a song by them, but i wouldn't go and say they are overrated.

all overrated means to me is that someone (your friend, a person on a message board, a magazine, etc) LOVES them and then when you heard them you think they suck.

i personally think overrated is a meaningless word.

I agree one hundred percent.

The Beatles are a great band and have influenced music as much or more than anyone. yet they have become the default answer for the question..."who is the greatest band of all time". I strongly suspect the vast majority of people who answer that question with the Beatles as doing so simply because that is the accepted answer. I don't think they are worthy of the worship they receive because I don't believe it to be authentic in most cases.
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    Mars volta, Radiohead? Did you listen to them first?

AHHH one can't argu about taste, I know, but you should really reconsider.
    Go see them LIVE they kick ass.

Both off them.
    ive seen mars volta 2x and radiohead 1x. saw mars 3 years ago open for chili peppers thought they were alright, saw them last summer open for system of a down and thought they were horrible. somebody on here said something about the vocals and i gotta agree. . . saw radiohead at field day festival 3 years ago, i dont know thought they were kinda dull. didnt do anything for me
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Green Day
    Matchbook Romance
    Atreyu
    Hawthorne Heights
    Fallout boy - They should Dance, Dance off a fucking cliff.
  • Options
    Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    I like all the bands everyone listed except Nickleback and Good Charlotte. I like overrated bands then? Hahaha... :(
    Cock Fight.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    Atreyu.

I thought you liked them?

In any case, great call
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    I can not agree with the White Stripes...I was told about them a couple of years ago, I heard 1 song and I was hooked. But that is just me.

Jack Johnson, well since I have 2 little boys who loved Curious George, they also liked the music that went along with it. The album is pretty good. I find myself singing along all the time. I like Jack Johnson even if he is main stream.

My list is as follows

Snow Patrol-Kinda lame for the hype.

Velvet Revolver-Scott needs to do full time with STP

AudioSlave-I was excited to hear about the 2 parties hooking up but in reality they should stay as Rage against the Machine and Soundgarden.

Death Cab for Cutie-I ahd heard great things about them, but I thought they sucked when they opened for the VFC tour

Green Day- I think Dookie is the best 35 minute album out there to this day. I loved them and I have had my fun with them. The song September something just plain sucks!
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    yeah, i cant believe i forgot them. they havent released a decent song since ok computer. key word being SONG. sure they've released some pleasant sounding ambient noise... but a tune, or melody, or anything would be nice.

Spinning Plates?
    Morning Bell?
    Idioteque?

Those are just the first ones that come to my head

Oh my goodness they are awesome...
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Death Cab isn't overrated.

Yes, yes they are. Heard "Plans" twice to give the album a fair chance, nearly put me to sleep both times. It should come with a "Do not operate heavey machinery while listening to this album" disclaimer.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Fetus Jr.Fetus Jr. Posts: 26
    Dave Mathews overrated? Wow......

System of a Down? Are you kidding me?

And Audioslave, if you've seen them live, you won't think they're overrated, but that's just my opinion.

Green Day, Modest Mouse, Jack Johnson, Fall out Boy, alot of the aforementioned....one I haven't seen, U2
    I traded magic for fact...then I traded back.
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    DMB
    Kaiser Chiefs
    Franz Ferdinand
    Lenny Kravitz
    Matchbox 20
    Papa Roach
    Robbie Williams (isn't maybe a real band)
    Simple Plan
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    MCG wrote:
    Yes, yes they are. Heard "Plans" twice to give the album a fair chance, nearly put me to sleep both times. It should come with a "Do not operate heavey machinery while listening to this album" disclaimer.

try one of their good albums
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    HawkHawk Posts: 3
    U2.
    Most overrated band ever.

Their songs are all the same. Purely commercial crap.

The Killers/The Strokes/The White Stripes...it's all the same to me. Listen to one or two songs and you're done.

I've seen System Of A Down mentioned...they're good.
    "Oh, you know what it's like..."
  • Options
    EarthgirlEarthgirl Posts: 695
    Nickelback- most cheesiest Rock ballad band ever. horrible.
    White Stripes
    Cold Play -sucks horribly.. I would fall asleep at a concert
    Velvet Revolver
    Simple Plan
  • Options
    Velvet Revolver
    Audioslave
    Fall Out Boy
    DMB (suck it Brian)
    Nickelback
    Please don't smoke in smoke free buildings. You aren't cool, you're just an asshole
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Hawk wrote:
    U2.
    Most overrated band ever.

Their songs are all the same. Purely commercial crap.

The Killers/The Strokes/The White Stripes...it's all the same to me. Listen to one or two songs and you're done.

I've seen System Of A Down mentioned...they're good.

Agreed! Couldn't have said it better.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
    Echoes wrote:
    I thought you liked them?

In any case, great call
    No, I don't like them..i just said one time that I thought a cover they did was pretty cool.
  • Options
    BlackCorduroyBlackCorduroy Posts: 1,374
    Beatles ove ?! come on now... thats just plain silly.

And although I like them a lot, Nirvana is probably ove . At least compared to other Seattle "grunge" bands.

All Fall out boy, my chemical romance, hawthorne heights, etc bands.

and i agree with Green day, DMB, Coldplay..
  • Options
    KBaxter74KBaxter74 Posts: 30
    Pretty much every band that has come around in the last few years. The music industry just sucks.

Oh yeah plus the White Stripes suck. Even if Jack White is a talented guitarist, his drummer is sooo untalented it's annoying. And he has no bassist to give the band any depth. Just not my cup of tea.
    Cannot stop the thought, running in the dark, coming up a which way sign, all good truants must decide.
    -Immortality
  • Options
    eshermanesherman Posts: 1
    the mars volta
    death cab for cutie
    Matisyahu

those are the only three i can think of right now, but they are all way overrated in my opinions, as is fiona apple's new album but i don't think she is overrated.
  • Options
    Fetus Jr. wrote:
    Dave Mathews overrated? Wow......

System of a Down? Are you kidding me?

And Audioslave, if you've seen them live, you won't think they're overrated, but that's just my opinion.

Green Day, Modest Mouse, Jack Johnson, Fall out Boy, alot of the aforementioned....one I haven't seen, U2

Yes DMB's vocal pitch has gotten on my nerves, it's clown shoes.
    System of A Down I don't agree with, but the 2nd part of the recent duo (Hypnotize) is a letdown from Mesmerize, they're just too inconsistent for me. There's always a "Boom" or "BYOB" and then the rest of the album is clown rock. Too bad...
    I'm sure Audioslave is good live only because they have a near legendary vocalist and a tight backing band. The material is what IS lukewarm piss. THey should be held to a higher standard, or step aside, it's that simple.
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com
  • Options
    U2
    The Strokes
    The Streets

Paul McCartney
    Morrisey
    ♥ ♪ ♪
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    Arctic Monkeys
    Fall Out Boy
    Franz Ferdinand
    Death Cab for Cutie
    Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson!!---wow, my jaw dropped on that one. It really hurts to look at it still.....must go now....blink, blink...yep still there--ouch--its just so harsh, so cold. where has all the love gone?

I love ya Jack!!!
  • Options
    samquigleysamquigley Posts: 220
    Coldplay, again. There was that first single that sounded like a pretty average Jeff Buckley B-side, then that bloody "Yellow" song, then it just kept getting worse.
    The Arctic Monkeys shocked everyone by selling all those albums but I don't know that they're necessarily overrated. I personally would never buy their album but I haven't heard anyone say anything other than that it was a surprise. They're not saying that it was expected because they're so great or anything. Or even that they deserve it, just that it's a shock.
  • Options
    oktacomaoktacoma Posts: 335
    esherman wrote:
    Matisyahu

Best response yet. :) I don't get the fascination with this guy. Thumbs down for me.
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    oktacoma wrote:
    Best response yet. :) I don't get the fascination with this guy. Thumbs down for me.

it's Hebrew Rap/Reggae! how can you not?

I actually think it's really cool

I don't get sufjan stevens
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Coldplay - they are good but NOT that good
    Yellowcard - just plain crap
    The Mars Volta - they are good but WILL never as good as At the Drive-In
    I had it all once I gave it back