Options

5 Most overrated bands right now

Comments

• Options
    For overrated, simply choose any British band currently selling their wares/ whoring their dubious talents/ peddling their style over content.

I'm with Henry Rollins on this one:

"The UK has a music scene; just no music"

Wise words H.

Notable exceptions include Radiohead, Oceansize and Muse.
    Decipher the illusion, know the facts but retain the magic.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    For overrated, simply choose any British band currently selling their wares/ whoring their dubious talents/ peddling their style over content.

David Gilmour
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    David Gilmour

My vitriol was aimed at the current crop of ne'er-do-wells and never-will-do's such as:

Arctic Monkeys
    Bloc Party
    Futureheads

NME darlings all...
  • Options
    Dark GrinDark Grin Posts: 33
    No one that has seen Audioslave live would call them overrated.
  • Options
    Dark Grin wrote:
    No one that has seen Audioslave live would call them overrated.

I concur.

I guess some people just don't like them though...
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    i will say that bloc party is OVER rated but that doesnt mean they arent good! just too much media hype.

white stripes rock..

falloutboy licks
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Options
    culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    The White Stripes listed twice? Do you just hate them because everyone else loves them? Fucking incredible songwriter. Deal with it.

Agreed...There is nothing overated about White Stripes. All the hype is deserved because they are just fllat out incredible.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • Options
    adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,505
    My Chemical Romance
    Panic At The Disco
    Green Day
    The White Stripes
    Silverstein

The White Stripes are top notch rock and roll. Other than PJ, they are my favorite band. Start with their self-titled album then De Stijl and work your way up. Incomparable.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    annoying voice, boring, grating guitar riffs, a paper thin sound with no depth... deal with it. just becos jack white is wierder than fuck all doesnt mean he's a genius songwriter.

Check out their DVD Under Blackpool Lights to see if they still suck. His guitar playing is impeccable.
    prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    Sonic19 wrote:
    Fall Out Boy
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Death Cab For Cutie
    The Killers
    My Chemical Romance
    sounds about right.
  • Options
    Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    DE Jammer wrote:
    If my two teenagers play THE USED one more time, I'm gonna PUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess its ok I puked the day away :)
    (wonder if anyone will get this...)
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    my2hands wrote:
    Coldplay

finally I was like "how did it take 19 posts before someone said this" and for teh record fall out boy is not overrated they are simply popular there is a difference
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    I agree the White Stripes are not overrated and White is a great songwriter.

I also agree that Audioslave is very overrated. It's embarassing they can be mentioned in the same sentence as Soundgarden. I hate Rage and Audioslave isn't even as good musically as they were. Audioslave is a waste of talent.

The Shins, though they aren't getting raves much anymore, were always overrated. They had that great song from Garden State...and thats it. Pretty much every other Shins song is absolute trash.

Death Cab could be good in that Modest Mouse sort of way but instead they are boring.

Ryan Adams is overrated.

The Beatles remain the most overrated band in the history of music.
  • Options
    Inkdaub wrote:

Harsh statement but ultimately true. This will probably get flamed for heresy. I personally greatly prefer the Stones to the Beatles. They just weren't that great as musicians. Sure Paul and John wrote some great songs, but they definitely were lucky enough to bring a new sound to the U.S. End of story.
    fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Fall Out Boy
    Green Day
    My Chemical Romance
    The Killers
    Franz Ferdinand

can i say The Arctic Monkeys as well? i love them but there not as good everyone makes out:)
    they are better.
  • Options
    SiDSiD Posts: 76
    pjfan020 wrote:
    Personally, I don't see the big fuss around The Mars Volta.

WHAT?!?! The Volta dominate.
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    Inkdaub wrote:

for pure argument sake, i would like to know EXACTLY why you think the beatles are overrated. your argument cannot include "i don't like them" as one of your reasons.

half the bands listed so far (if not more) i either don't like or have never heard a song by them, but i wouldn't go and say they are overrated.

all overrated means to me is that someone (your friend, a person on a message board, a magazine, etc) LOVES them and then when you heard them you think they suck.

i personally think overrated is a meaningless word.
  • Options
    mr carlomr carlo Posts: 3
    Artic Monkeys
    Franz Ferdinand
    Hard-Fi
    Maximo Park
    Kaiser Chiefs

All british and all shite. Tragic
  • Options
    Audioslave
    Velvet Revolver
    Anything that has a guy crying on a low beat, then crying louder on a hard beat
    Nickelback
    Kanye West
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Audioslave
    Velvet Revolver
    Anything that has a guy crying on a low beat, then crying louder on a hard beat
    Nickelback
    Kanye West

Kanye West? Are you nuts? You can put Kanye in company with the other greats,ex.

beatles,
    hendrix,
    zepplin,
    kanye

see how smoothly that fits.
    4-30-03
    7-06-03
    7-11-03
    9-28-04
    9-29-04
    5-13-06
    6-03-06
    6-27-08
  • Options
    Kanye West? Are you nuts? You can put Kanye in company with the other greats,ex.

beatles,
    hendrix,
    zepplin,
    kanye

see how smoothly that fits.

:)

sorry, but no, i think this guy music is way overrated, he's done nothing different than any other rap/hip hop artist. Although i'm not a connaisseur of the genre, but he's getting way too much recognition for what he does.

Kanye beside Hendrix, makes my head hurt :)
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    oh and i agree with everyone who said Coldplay...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    NothingbetterNothingbetter Wichita, KS Posts: 570
    Death Cab isn't overrated.
    Kansas City 6/12/03 ** Kissimmee 10/9/04 ** Atlantic City 10/1/05 ** Denver 7/2/06 ** Denver 7/3/06 ** Chicago 8/23/09 ** Chicago 8/24/09 ** Kansas City 5/3/10 ** Dallas 11/15/13 ** Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ** St. Louis 10/3/14 ** Tulsa 10/8/14 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ** Chicago - Wrigley Field 8/22/16 ** Oklahoma City 9/20/22 ** Ft. Worth 9/15/23

EV - St. Louis 7/1/11 ** Tulsa 11/19/12
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    My first thought was Green Day. I agree with Coldplay and actually think they should be number 1.

I don't know if Audioslave is overrated but Soundgarden and Rage are both far superior to Audioslave. There music sounds too manufactured to me and really lacks the energy of the previous bands'.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    Bright Eyes
    "I sometimes wonder why there isn't a Tee-Pees R Us."

-Ed
  • Options
    angryyoungmanangryyoungman Medford, NY Posts: 1,028
    top 5 overrated:

5. the killers
    4. mars volta
    3. white stripes
    2. dave matthews band
    (drumroll). . . . . . . .
    number one most overrated band. . .RADIOHEAD

bring on the flames. . .
    i have wished for so long, how i wish for you today
    JEFFREY ROSS ROGERS 1975-2002

9.10.98 NYC / 8.23.00 JONES BEACH /4.30.03 UNIONDALE / 7.9.03 NYC /5.12.06 ALBANY/ 6.1.06 E.RUTHEFORD/ 6.3.06 E. RUTHEFORD/ CAMDEN 6.19.08/ NYC 6.24.08/ NYC 6.25.08/ HARTFORD 6.27.08/ CHICAGO 8.24.09/ PHILLY 10.31.09/ HARTFORD 5.15.10/ NEWARK 5.18.10/ NYC 5.20.10/ CHICAGO 7.19.13/ BROOKLYN 10.18.13/ BROOKLYN 10.19.13/ HARTFORD 10.25.13/ NYC 9.26.15/ 4.8.16 FT. LAUDERDALE/ 4.9.16 MIAMI / 5.1.16 NYC/ 5.2.16 NYC / 8.5.16 BOSTON / 8.7.16 BOSTON/ 8.20.18 CHICAGO/ 9.2.18 BOSTON/ 9.4.18 BOSTON/ 9.18.21 ASBURY PARK

finally, FUCK TICKETMASTER
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    adam42381 wrote:
    Harsh statement but ultimately true. This will probably get flamed for heresy. I personally greatly prefer the Stones to the Beatles. They just weren't that great as musicians. Sure Paul and John wrote some great songs, but they definitely were lucky enough to bring a new sound to the U.S. End of story.

The stones werent that great of musicians. I think John and George could hang with Keef and any of his counterparts in the Stones. Plus, the Beatles wrote better songs.

Both bands are overrated a bit, but when you virtually invent the modern blueprint for great bands, you deserve to be.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    top 5 overrated:

5. the killers
    4. mars volta
    3. white stripes
    2. dave matthews band
    (drumroll). . . . . . . .
    number one most overrated band. . .RADIOHEAD

bring on the flames. . .

Mars volta, Radiohead? Did you listen to them first?

AHHH one can't argu about taste, I know, but you should really reconsider.
    Go see them LIVE they kick ass.

Both off them.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    :)

sorry, but no, i think this guy music is way overrated, he's done nothing different than any other rap/hip hop artist. Although i'm not a connaisseur of the genre, but he's getting way too much recognition for what he does.

Kanye beside Hendrix, makes my head hurt :)

I don't know Kanye but any Hipper de Hop flop next to Hendrix and The beatles would be an insult to anyone's inlelligence.

Oh shit I keep forgettin' that I don't have the monopoly on good taste.

Sorry, it's OK to like Kanye, go right ahead.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    Hip Hop was good in the 80's and early 90's, now it's embarrassing shit.

top 5:

5. Green Day- Rock Opera? I like the message of the title song on AI, but if this is rocks best (even funnier, punk, I suppose if Blink 182 is punk, then GD is) let's all off ourselves
    4. Audioslave- OMG! Cornell's talent is completely wasted, he seems so Hollywood now. For years I had to hear how his "devil voice" was so much better than Ed's, but look who is still relevant now. Soundgarden's gone, Rage is gone, what's left is lukewarm piss that needs payola to get airplay.
    3. Good Charlotte- like Ed said, it's a like a popsicle shoved up someones ass, these MTV kiddies think this is punk too.
    2. Dave Matthews Band- ANNOYING!!! your not the Dead, or Phish, or anyone, your tone is painful, and every song is the same.
    1. Coldplay- horrible. THe funny part is, they could be good, if they weren't so whiny. Martin's voice has a chance, but too nasal, and way too SOFTROCKY.
    "The one's who love us best, are the one's we'll lay to rest. Visit their graves on holidays, at best. The one's who love us least, are the one's we'll die to please..." The Replacements

www.first-avenue.com