Options

Alice In Chains Touring again

2»

Comments

• Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    This better be a joke. What a crock of shit.

Why would this be a joke? They've already performed as AIC w/ guest singers. They'll be doing so again in a couple of weeks. Why not take it on the road?
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    They could do a Rock Star INXS move, and find a replacement for Layne on the TV.

As long as I get to look at Brooke Burke's titties, it's a win.
  • Options
    Im there. As much as I loved Layne, I love Jerry and AIC more.

ACDC pulled it off.
    Benjamin, TouringVan 05/06

"Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving, how can that be?! ...Car full of midgets!"

Photobucket: MagicBus2006
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Yeh no one can replace Layne, but its good to see the boys getting back out there. I'd go see them in a second.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    Them Bones
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • Options
    so who will take the vocals ...?just jerry...?
  • Options
    bertanbertan Posts: 266
    this festival is nuts!
    "hey na na na na hey that's something"

30.09.2006 Athens | 18.06.2007 London | 18.08.2009 London | 05.07.2014 Werchter | 17.07.2018 London | 08.07.2022 London
  • Options
    I hope you guys get what you pay for. Can't wait for you to hear the Ben Harper wannabee singing Would?

Yeah it's just music, but fucking come on.
  • Options
    schmoffschmoff Posts: 428
    I'm seeing them at the Heart tribute in 2 weeks, the guy (Duvall) from Jerry's band is performing vocals, he does the vocals for AIC songs on Jerry's tour, I've heard he is awesome, I have never heard him before. Also Dave Navarro will be at this Heart show also, maybe he will be announcing that AIC will be doing the next rockstar show, I've heard that rumor alot and him being at this show kind of souns like it might actually happen now. I'll post a review after the show in a couple weeks.
    50+ shows and lost count somewhere along the way
  • Options
    That's fucked up for sure...I don't care how much "passion" whoever sings the songs puts into them, fact is it's not ALICE IN CHAINS without Layne, and they shouldn't call themselves that. period.
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    That's fucked up for sure...I don't care how much "passion" whoever sings the songs puts into them, fact is it's not ALICE IN CHAINS without Layne, and they shouldn't call themselves that. period.

Seeing them live though, i was surprised how much Jerry sings..... Layne was practically a back-up singer at a few shows i saw. Maybe Layne was a little too wasted to do his duties but i assure you Jerry can do quite well on his own.
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    schmoff wrote:
    I'm seeing them at the Heart tribute in 2 weeks, the guy (Duvall) from Jerry's band is performing vocals, he does the vocals for AIC songs on Jerry's tour, I've heard he is awesome, I have never heard him before. Also Dave Navarro will be at this Heart show also, maybe he will be announcing that AIC will be doing the next rockstar show, I've heard that rumor alot and him being at this show kind of souns like it might actually happen now. I'll post a review after the show in a couple weeks.

I'll be there too! William Duvall from Comes With The Fall is amazing. His voice is a cross between Jeff Buckley and a Lajon Witherspoon. You can check his dynamic voice out on the track "Blackest Hour" from their self titled 2000 release. They have audio on their site: comeswiththefall.com

Should definitely be a good show!
    ::Mike
  • Options
    I hope you guys get what you pay for. Can't wait for you to hear the Ben Harper wannabee singing Would?

Yeah it's just music, but fucking come on.

What he's a Ben Harper wannabe just cause he has an afro? Have you ever heard Ben Harper? This guy sounds nothing like him. Having listened to some of the songs on Comes with the fall's site, I think the guy has an excellent voice, and definitely has the appropriate range and style to pull of singing AIC songs.
  • Options
    In the words of Jerry Cantrell, "There will be some Alice in Chains shows this year — that's a fact."

There may even be a new record from the grunge rockers, who've been idle for close to 10 years. At this point, the guitarist said, all

[0]

he can really say is that the band is active, and that the remaining members of Alice — himself, bassist Mike Inez and drummer Sean Kinney — will be taking the stage this summer to perform songs from the band's catalog.

"We're making it up as we go along," Cantrell explained. "It's what we always did in the past. We're writing the book as we live it. We feel confident that we will have a good time and that it's something that will live up to the same level. It's an exploratory thing, and we're just having fun with it. We'd like to go out and play for the people that supported us and love the music as much as we have all these years. We want to celebrate what we did and the memory of our friend."

That friend, of course, is late Alice frontman Layne Staley, who died in April 2002 from a mixture of heroin and cocaine (see "Layne Staley, Alice In Chains Singer, Dead At 34").

"We have played with some [singers] who can actually bring it and add their own thing to it without being a Layne clone," Cantrell explained, adding that the three remaining AIC members will be meeting with several would-be Staley proxies in the coming months, to front the group at European festival gigs. Alice in Chains have been listed as one of the acts performing at Austria's NovaRock Festival in June, but the guitarist said nothing's been confirmed yet.

"We're not interested in stepping on [Staley's] rich legacy," Cantrell said. "It's a tough thing to go through. Do you take the Led Zeppelin approach and never play again, because the guy was that important?" (In 1980, Zeppelin broke up after the death of drummer John Bonham.) "That's the approach we've taken for a lot of years. Or, do you give it a shot, try something? We're willing to take a chance on it. It's completely a reunion because the three of us who're left are back together. But it's not about separating and forgetting — it's about remembering and moving on."

"We're going to go and play the songs one more time," said Kinney. "It seems like the right time, so I figure we'll go out and play a few gigs and see where it goes. I think we might just show up in assorted places in the U.S. in the next few months without much notice and play some clubs and little theaters, and then go to Europe and play these festival gigs. Beyond that, we don't know at this point."

In addition, Kinney said the band hopes to play several North American dates this summer. Cantrell, Kinney and Inez started jamming together late last year, and the reunion will get into full swing March 10, when the reunited Alice in Chains perform at the Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, New Jersey, as part of VH1 Classic's "Decades Rock Live" homage to Heart. Former Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro, Velvet Revolver bassist Duff McKagan, "American Idol" winner Carrie Underwood, Rufus Wainwright and Gretchen Wilson are also set to appear. Cantrell promised a host of other special guests during the show, but he wouldn't give names.

The band will perform with Comes With the Fall frontman William DuVall — a member of Cantrell's touring band. And DuVall could, theoretically, be part of the Alice in Chains fold come this summer. "We've done some rehearsing with Will and we're having a lot of fun with him," Cantrell said. "But we're still in the beginning stages where we're trying to figure out what we want to do. He could cut it, without a doubt — but we haven't made a final decision on that yet."

"If we found some other dude, I'd love to move on," Kinney said, "write some cool tunes and change the name and go on like that. I don't see continuing as Alice and replacing somebody. ... We're not trying to replace Layne. We want to play these songs one more time, and if it seems like the right thing to do, it'll happen. I don't know how long it will go or where it will take us. It's kind of a tribute to Layne and our fans, the people who love these songs. It's not some 'I'm broke and I need the money' situation. We love playing together."

Kinney said Alice in Chains had been approached by the producers of "Rock Star" for the reality show's second season. They turned the offer down.

— Chris Harris

Anyone feel better now?
    Benjamin, TouringVan 05/06

"Who is driving? Oh my god Bear is driving, how can that be?! ...Car full of midgets!"

Photobucket: MagicBus2006
  • Options

i think i have to agree. i am not saying one should never play the material again concert, not at all...go ahead...it's your music! i just think it's a disservice top still call yourselves alice in chains. i'll say it for most bands, when an integral member is gone, the respect should remain...retire the name....come up with a new one....and still play what you like live.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Anyone feel better now?

That sounds really good, clears up a lot of people's worries I think.
  • Options
    Anyone feel better now?

Actually, yes...Particularly because of this..."If we found some other dude, I'd love to move on," Kinney said, "write some cool tunes and change the name and go on like that. I don't see continuing as Alice and replacing somebody. ... We're not trying to replace Layne. We want to play these songs one more time, and if it seems like the right thing to do, it'll happen."
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • Options
    GoBuckyGoBucky Posts: 198
    Actually, yes...Particularly because of this..."If we found some other dude, I'd love to move on," Kinney said, "write some cool tunes and change the name and go on like that. I don't see continuing as Alice and replacing somebody. ... We're not trying to replace Layne. We want to play these songs one more time, and if it seems like the right thing to do, it'll happen."

Fine by me...just don't call it AIC!
  • Options
    Well, if you actually read the whole article on the net, it states that if the guy they use for the European tour is someone that gells pretty good, they will retire the Alice name, and pick a new one. Them using Alice right now is just paying a final tribute.
    Power without Perception is virtually useless and therefore of no true value
  • Options
    "it states that if the guy they use for the European tour is someone that gells pretty good, they will retire the Alice name, and pick a new one. Them using Alice right now is just paying a final tribute."

Which is how it should be. I am much more comfortable with this having read the MTV interview now.