Options

New Strokes

mouthfulofsoupmouthfulofsoup Posts: 397
edited January 2006 in Other Music
Anyone else think they borrowed Barry's 'Mandy' hook on 'Razorblade?' LOL.

...Just on first listen, sounds good...but I'll give my conclusion after a few more listens. (Cuz I know you all care.) haha.
"Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    The new strokes is amazing (si), a rock n' roll masterpiece full of brilliantly amazing hard kicking good vibes badass songs and Julian Casablancas voice is phenomenal to say the very minimum.........
  • Options
    The new strokes is amazing (si), a rock n' roll masterpiece full of brilliantly amazing hard kicking good vibes badass songs and Julian Casablancas voice is phenomenal to say the very minimum.........

A "masterpiece" is an exaggeration if ever there was one...Although, you're entitled to your opinion. It definitely loses its kick after 'Razorblade' for me. I heard such great things about this album, I was definitely expecting better...Especially after 'Juicebox' & 2 really good albums...After 2 good listens, it pains me to say that I'm starting to think they shoulda taken their "We could drag it out but that's for other bands to do" advice.
  • Options
    The more I'm listening, it's not as bad as I thought...although still not as good as the others by far. "Ask Me Anything" needs to be shot though. lol.
  • Options
    It's kind of in the vein of Exile On Main Street. They could have made it another 35 minute "masterpiece." But I like the fact that they left it worts and all.
  • Options
    Anyone else think they borrowed Barry's 'Mandy' hook on 'Razorblade?' LOL.

...Just on first listen, sounds good...but I'll give my conclusion after a few more listens. (Cuz I know you all care.) haha.

I think borrowed from EVERYTHING on this album. From the songs, the lyrics, and the artwork. Hell even Julian sings about stealing chords and words.
  • Options
    Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    Kinda been digging Juicebox lately...Anyone going to see them Friday night?
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Options
    I think borrowed from EVERYTHING on this album. From the songs, the lyrics, and the artwork. Hell even Julian sings about stealing chords and words.

...Yeah, "Vision of Division" reminds me of a Queens of the Stone Age song, don't ask me which one...whatever they released, I don't know their stuff...& I thought it was funny he mentioned stealing stuff too.
  • Options
    The strokes are allready legends in my book!
  • Options
    shahrilshahril Posts: 288
    The Strokes will never be a great band. They will be a solid, rocking, catchy band. A good band. And so it this album, good.
    I've seen so many people try and copy Eddie Vedder's voice. It's as if if you don't sound like him you're not a man. - Emmett Roslan

http://theshahril.blogspot.com

London 20/04/2006
  • Options
    MookieJam wrote:
    'you only live once' is their best song ever...i can't stop playing it

Totally agree.
  • Options
    I cant stop playing the whole album: From top to bottom, yes you only live once is great, but my favourites so far is vision of division and heart in a cage, and on the other side is really cool too and lets see.... ize of the world and everything else :D !!!!! What an album, what great way to start 2006!!!!!
  • Options
    Yeah the whole album is amazing all the way through. Every song rocks.
  • Options
    The album is good but loses a bit of steam after Killing Time, IMO.
  • Options
    To me it's perfect up to the last note.....
  • Options
    PJ_GAPJ_GA Posts: 121
    i hate everyoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee i hate myselfffffffffff forrrr hating themmmmmmmmmm la la la la
    ITS MY BLOOOOOOODDDDDD!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    You're no funnn!!! You're no funnnn!!! You're no fun!!!! You're no fun!!!!
  • Options
    i cant stop listening to it, it's more addictive than crack/cocaine :)
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Man, I need to get this album, I love Juicebox, my favourite Strokes song I think.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    strokes lovers are gonna kill me for this opinion but this record sucks ass. its utter garbage. I was really really really looking forward to this album and it completely blows.

I absolutely hate it, and will most likely never listen to it ever again. its that bad. long drawn out slow boring songs. this is my first major disappointment of 2006.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    I finally found a song by The Strokes I can bare listening to, the title track from this album... aside that nothing special with the rest of the songs, really I can't explain to myself why so many people are into these guys.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    Well there's no title track for First Impressions... Two people like them because their music is catchy.
  • Options
    barcoachbarcoach Posts: 413
    Well there's no title track for First Impressions... Two people like them because their music is catchy.

Well, heard it on the radio, they said it was the title track... I just feel good of finally liking some of what everybody else seems to enjoy so much.
    Stone: Thanks for the pick and the night of complicity, you rock!
    -The crazy guy with the Ramones t-shirt.
    Mexico C. 12/10/05.

"There is a rose that I want to live for
    although, God knows, I may not have met her"
    -J. Strummer

"And you'll never know just how dark this screen could be"
  • Options
    PJguy wrote:
    strokes lovers are gonna kill me for this opinion but this record sucks ass. its utter garbage. I was really really really looking forward to this album and it completely blows.

I absolutely hate it, and will most likely never listen to it ever again. its that bad. long drawn out slow boring songs. this is my first major disappointment of 2006.

Well I completely disagree with you. While I still feel Is This It will be their greatest album of all time this one has sooooooo much quality to it.
  • Options
    the strokes bore me. one of the most overrated bands around. that's just my opinion. i've listened to the new album and it's good but certainly not a "masterpiece". it's not even that great. and so far, the reviews for the album have been pretty horrible.
  • Options
    the strokes bore me. one of the most overrated bands around. that's just my opinion. i've listened to the new album and it's good but certainly not a "masterpiece". it's not even that great. and so far, the reviews for the album have been pretty horrible.

Well personally I don't care about reviews but from what I've seen it's half and half. It's not all bad. The problem I think people have when listening to the Stokes is they take it way too seriously. I love the Strokes because they have a sense of humor in their music.
  • Options
    artjamartjam Posts: 227
    I cant wait to get it! The Strokes are definately shaping up to be a favorite for me. Off to the blood bank!
  • Options
    Well personally I don't care about reviews but from what I've seen it's half and half. It's not all bad. The problem I think people have when listening to the Stokes is they take it way too seriously. I love the Strokes because they have a sense of humor in their music.

i'll agree with that. people need to stop anticipating this unbelievable masterpiece from the strokes. they're just a good, fun band. but that's why i get upset when all these people i know and all these people on this board say that the strokes are the second-coming of the fucking beatles or something. they aren't bad, but this certainly is not the "album of the year". it's fucking january and it got mixed reviews. let's not fill the board with hyperbole
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    here's my opinion for what it is worth:

after roughly 3 full listens to the album over the past 2 days driving to and from work, i've come to the conclusion that the album is a grower.

after the first listen there were a few songs that were good, but nothing great. felt it was just dragged out for 50+ mins when it could have been round 38-40 mins. and it also sounded like julian just woke up and stumbled into the studio to record.

after the 2nd and 3rd listen i started to find songs that i liked. the first half of the album is a lot stronger than the 2nd half.

they definately could have dropped tracks 5 and 9. those are just songs that kill the albums flow.

don't expect an album full of songs like 'juicebox' because there are none. if you like the strokes, you've probably already bought the cd or are planning on doing so. if you don't like the strokes, that's cool too - different people like different music.

and that's my $0.02.
  • Options
    i'll agree with that. people need to stop anticipating this unbelievable masterpiece from the strokes. they're just a good, fun band. but that's why i get upset when all these people i know and all these people on this board say that the strokes are the second-coming of the fucking beatles or something. they aren't bad, but this certainly is not the "album of the year". it's fucking january and it got mixed reviews. let's not fill the board with hyperbole

Yeah people overrate them. It won't be album of the year at all. It's just another cool edition to their catalog with some songs that will stick around for their live shows and others that will fall by the wayside.
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    I've already voiced my opinion in another thread but I'll do it here as well. :D I am MAJORLY diggin this album. Rockin, catchy as hell and super fun. This band is definitely getting better and better. The first time I heard Juicebox on the radio I was already hooked and convinced the album would not disappoint. What a catchy ass song! Love it!! The entire album is even better than I expected. I've become hooked on SO many songs. There's lots of greatness on here...so much that I find that my favs keep changing. I'm super hooked on Razorblade, Heart In Cage, Fear Of Sleep. Also instantly loved Evening Sun and 15 minutes. The one that has recently knocked me the hell out is On The Other Side. The whole thing really does just keep getting better and better. I can't get it outta my head! I agree El Riot Actor...what a GREAT way to kick off this gurateed SUPER AMAZING musical year. :)
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••