~ REM appreciation thread ~

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited May 2008 in Other Music
Ok, so it's 08:55am and i'm sat at my desk listening to Monster for the second time this morning and i've decided we should pool together and show some appreciation for the Georgia boys!

Me personally, I never really liked REM that much. Afterall, I wasn't supposed to like REM - I was a 'metal' fan :rolleyes:
I don't understand how such a great band have passed me by for so many years?! :confused: Sure, like most people, I knew the singles like Great Beyond and Shiny Happy People but never looked into them further... if i'd only known songs like Leave and So Fast, So Numb existed!
What started it was, a few months ago Audiodave copied me Accelerate and compiled me a CD of some of their stuff, for me to give them a better chance than just their singles collection... it was love at first listen (Actually i'd just like to openly thank Dave for doing those CDs for me, for starting my obsession and giving me the opportunity to see them live in August)
They've managed to weedle their way into my top 5 bands of all time (brutally pushing White Zombie into the '6' position) and i'm currently in the process of purchasing their album back catalogue.
As I said, I'm seeing them in August at Twickenham and i'm about as excited as a kid in a candy store. I can't wait to see What's The Frequency, Kenneth? (my favourite REM song - tbh, I loved it since it came out in '94... I reiterate: "if only i'd known" :rolleyes: ) So Fast, So Numb (that's gonna be great to see with Dave and Ross *grins*) and Mr Richards, live... I just know it's gonna be amazing!

So here goes...

*stands*

Hello, My name is Sian and I love REM :o:D
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• chimechime Posts: 7,838
    :o *coughs* I'll be there too :p
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Great band *obviously*.

One think that stands me apart from most other fans is that I love 'Reveal' and like 'Around the Sun' quite abit. For me their weak period was 'New Adventures' a rather bland album with 4 outstanding tracks and 'Up' which aside from 'Walk Unafraid' was easily their worst album (for me).
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    chime wrote:
    :o *coughs* I'll be there too. :p

Shit!! Didn't mean to forget you, Pip *feels stoopids* Sorry hun :(
    Soupy wrote:
    Great band *obviously*.

One think that stands me apart from most other fans is that I love 'Reveal' and like 'Around the Sun' quite abit. For me their weak period was 'New Adventures' a rather bland album with 4 outstanding tracks and 'Up' which aside from 'Walk Unafraid' was easily their worst album (for me).
    Really? I love Up and New Adventures :o
    Reveal is next on the list to buy :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    REM is one of my favorite bands.
    Monster, new adventures in hifi, up, accelerate... so many good albums !
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
    Julien wrote:
    REM is one of my favorite bands.
    Monster, new adventures in hifi, up, accelerate... so many good albums !
    Favourite songs? :)

• JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    Favourite songs? :)
    e-bow the letter
    walk unafraid
    accelerate
    crush with eyeliner
    radio song
    leave
    finest work song
    lotus

...and many more
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Shit!! Didn't mean to forget you, Pip *feels stoopids* Sorry hun :(

Really? I love Up and New Adventures :o
    Reveal is next on the list to buy :D
    Did you buy Document? If not, I think that should be your next to buy. ;)

Awesome band. Grew up listening to them, and the more I hear by them, the more I love. Loving old REM especially at the moment.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    audiodave wrote:
    Did you buy Document? If not, I think that should be your next to buy. ;)

Awesome band. Grew up listening to them, and the more I hear by them, the more I love. Loving old REM especially at the moment.

bugger.

*adds to list and logs into amazon*

:o

• muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I've never really liked R.E.M and I don't know why. Stipe is a great singer, and I like a few songs. But I can just never get into them. Their songs sound so "flashy" and over produced and I didn't like their recent album at all.
    muppet wrote:
    I've never really liked R.E.M and I don't know why. Stipe is a great singer, and I like a few songs. But I can just never get into them. Their songs sound so "flashy" and over produced and I didn't like their recent album at all.

I used to feel like that but something changed and I don't quite know what. It could've been because I listened to an album (Accelerate actually!) all the way through instead of a few songs on the radio every now and again. I think listening to some less well known material also helped in that I realised how diverse this band are.
    I love Stipe, he appears to be a great performer and IMO his lyrics are second only to Ed's. Besides, he's quirky :D

• ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    WOOOOOOOO! i have no problem admitting that R.E.M is in my top 3 favourite bands list. I love Stipe's lyrics, his voice, and the fact that some of the music isn't too complex but manages to sound absolutely fascinating/beautiful at the same time.

Favourite albums are Life's Rich Pageant (first 5 or 6 tracks are mind blowing), New Adventures, Around The Sun, and Accelerate.

The show in August is going to be off the charts, i can't wait to experience it with you guys. Crossing my fingers for Electron Blue, Fall On Me, So Fast So Numb, and of course Sing For The Submarine. That last song haunts my dreams!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,547
    R.E.M. is among my most favorite of rock bands. And they have been for 15 years or so. Their catalog is quite impressive and I can't wait to see them live.

Great idea for a thread!

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
    rhinomagic wrote:
    R.E.M. is among my most favorite of rock bands. And they have been for 15 years or so. Their catalog is quite impressive and I can't wait to see them live.

Great idea for a thread!

Erm... I've only really listened to them for about 2 months... not quite 15 years... :o but I can't wait to see them either! :D

Which gig/s are you going to? :)

• Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    R.E.M. were one of the first bands I get into. My cousin did me a copy of Out of Time and it went from there. I remember pooling all my pocket money for weeks so i could buy Automatic for the People on cassette!!

I loved Monster and was a bit gutted when I couldn't seem them on that tour as I was away. I love New Adventures in Hi-Fi, I think in the long run it's my favourite R.E.M. album, even if Monster is totally about "doing it" :D

First managed to see them play at the T in the Park festival in 2003 and they did not dissapoint. The sound and sight of Country Feedback gently drifting out over the crowd as the sun went down was really quite beautiful.

Saw them again with my now wife in 2005, who had also grown up loving them, and even though we both didn't find Around The Sun all that great we had high hopes for the live show. It was a massive let down. It just seemed like all their magic had gone to be replaced by a bland stadium rock show, designed to please those who had bought the Greatest Hits.

However, I absolutely love Accelerate. It's an incredible record or refound energy and spark and I can't wait to see them in Cardiff this August :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    R.E.M. were one of the first bands I get into. My cousin did me a copy of Out of Time and it went from there. I remember pooling all my pocket money for weeks so i could buy Automatic for the People on cassette!!

I loved Monster and was a bit gutted when I couldn't seem them on that tour as I was away. I love New Adventures in Hi-Fi, I think in the long run it's my favourite R.E.M. album, even if Monster is totally about "doing it" :D

First managed to see them play at the T in the Park festival in 2003 and they did not dissapoint. The sound and sight of Country Feedback gently drifting out over the crowd as the sun went down was really quite beautiful.

Saw them again with my now wife in 2005, who had also grown up loving them, and even though we both didn't find Around The Sun all that great we had high hopes for the live show. It was a massive let down. It just seemed like all their magic had gone to be replaced by a bland stadium rock show, designed to please those who had bought the Greatest Hits.

However, I absolutely love Accelerate. It's an incredible record or refound energy and spark and I can't wait to see them in Cardiff this August :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I really like R.E.M's 80s stuff and Automatic for the People but I'm not a huge fan of much they've done since, give or take a few songs.

This is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnhthxTrlSE

Favourite songs are probably:

Nightswimming
    So, Central Rain
    Pretty Persuasion
    The One I Love
    Orange Crush
    Find The River
    Daysleeper
    The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • augustwestaugustwest Posts: 739
    Bruce and REM...man on the moon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BisS5JxeUW0

when i first saw youtube clip a few weeks ago i pretty much freaked right out on how incredible it was. im not a hard core rem fan but im fan enough of the new cd to pay the money to see them play again live on this tour. i love the new cd :)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    I started listening to them too

I like murmur, automatic for the people, monster, out of time.

I really like them

but i cant see them on their stadium tour in august as its £55.80 a ticket...
  • TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Chronic Town EP, Murmur and Reckoning are the closest to my heart, but I can enjoy something from each album.
    I'm going to see them in Philly on June 18th!
    If you can, watch them on Austin City limits this weekend (May 24th)!
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    My fav band since kindergarten (I just graduated college so thats a long time). Sooooo many great albums.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    R.E.M. is one of my favorite bands, if not my favorite.

They have such an incredible catalog of work - going all the way back to the IRS stuff with Murmur and Chronic Town.

If you had asked me what my favorite album was by them several years ago, I would've said Monster; however, that's not the case anymore. I still really like the album, but there's not a whole lot of depth to it - just 12 really good songs. Automatic For the People or New Adventures in Hi-Fi might be my favorite.

I'm also in the minority on Reveal, I think it's 3/4 of a great record. Around the Sun was disappointing, but Accelerate is a solid return to form (I wouldn't put it up there with their best stuff, but it's on the higher end of their output).

I've seen them 7 times in concert over the years, going back to the Monster '95 tour. They do not disappoint. I'll see them again if them come back around here, but I won't travel outside the state.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • digsterdigster Posts: 1,293
    My favorite rock band, without a doubt. I'm happy to say that there are probably "better" ones, or ones with more influence, etc. (U2, Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin), but no one for me has made more beautiful music than R.E.M. I can't fathom how a band came up with songs like Losing My Religion, Man on the Moon, Nightswimming, Cuyahoga, etc....they sound like they've been there forever.

Michael Stipe is, in my opinion, rock's best lyricist. He's got such a way with words, and his worldview is completely unique. They've got a lot of staying power; it's hard to be in a band for almost thirty years and make an album as good as Accelerate is.
  • electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,457
    Rem!!

<3<3<3...~
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    a great thread :)

growing up in la in the 80's i listened to kroq constantly.....back then, radio actually played good music....especially kroq.....so i heard a lot of rem and liked it.....but the first rem album i ever bought was document.....i was hooked from there.....although, imo, they sort of got off track starting with monster (which i liked) but have come back strong with accelerate.....i'll being seeing them for the first time next week!! :D:D
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    I've been a huge R.E.M. fan since I was 14 (1992). Basically I have been a fan of them since I have been listening to music. Somehow, I have never seen them live, but I have tickets to the June 8 Toronto show. This has led me into a bit of an R.E.M. binge (translate---I have essentially listened to nothing else for a few months).

Basically, I love every album but Up, which has a few songs I like but that is it. I've recently gained a new appreciation for Around the Sun--I think Boy in the Well should be remembered as classic. My favorite R.E.M. songs...

Electrolite, Begin the Begin, Perfect Circle, Pretty Persuasion, Driver 8, Feeling Gravity's Pull, Maps and Legends, Finest Work Song, Welcome to the Occupation, Fall on Me, Pop Song 89, Losing My Religion, Half a World Away, Drive, Try Not to Breathe, Man on the Moon, Ignoreland, What's the Frequency Kenneth, Bang and Blame, Leave, Low Desert, So Fast So Numb, At My Most Beautiful, The Lifting, Parakeet, All the Way to Reno, Imitation of Life, Leaving New York, Boy in the Well, The Ascent of Man, I Wanted to Be Wrong, and a few from the new album.

I guess you could call me a fan.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Chris1401Chris1401 Posts: 354
    Gotta love R.E.M.

Radio Free Europe is probably my favorite song to roll down the windows and cruise to. Strange Currencies, The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight, Country Feedback....so many good songs I didn't mention.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I love this band and are my favourite band or atleast the equal of pearl jam.

fav album at the moment is accelerate but all time document, green. mumor, life rich pagent, monster and new adventures... I like out of time a lot also.

fav songs:

Man-Sized Wreath
    Exhuming McCarthy
    Begin The Begin
    Don't Go Back (To Rockville)
    Driver 8
    Superman
    New Test Leper
    Life and How To Live it
    Pop Song 89
    Boy In The Well
    Time After Time (AnnElise)

Can't wait to see them in Philly in June :p
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • seagoat2seagoat2 Posts: 241
    Didn't even read most of the thread, but Michael Stipe (& REM) is one of my favorite human beings on planet Earth. ;-)
  • rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Seeing them with a few friends tomorrow night. I quite like the new record and dig tunes from every album, although I'm sorely lacking in the REM albums department (that I actually own). I have Chronic Town (on tape), Document (vinyl), Monster, Accelerate, and Out of Time. Given REM's catalogue, this is a bit lacking! Hopefully I'll be able to fill it out soon enough.

Tomorrow will be my 2nd time seeing them. The first time was at Groundwork in Seattle back in '01, so I only got a shortened set, but Ed Vedder came out and sang on "It's the End of the World ... " so that made up for it. The last time REM came here (to Vancouver) was in '03 - I think - and I wasn't able to go because I worked an evening shift. The next night, however, was the radiohead concert at the same venue, and Michael Stipe came out to sing Karma Police, which was an absolute treat to witness.

Totally stoked for tomorrow.

(Favourite REM song is "Try Not to Breathe".)