Options

AUDIOSLAVE would be a lot better with a different drummer?

Comments

• Options
    ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    yeah...........what Travis said!!! Plus they DO kick ass live.....I've seen them 14 times so far, 7 each tour and they've come a long way and they're not done growing......pick away if you wish.......it doesn't matter......don't like em, don't listen............simple...........but just because some of you don't like them, does NOT mean they suck.
  • Options
    BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    I like Audioslave. I think most people on this thread do! Just rekon they could sound better.
  • Options
    I think Audioslave is better off broken up to be quite honest. I liked Soundgarden, I loved RATM, but this isn't working. And it's got nothing to do with the drummer.

Cornell and Morello compromise their styles and strengths in this band, when they should be complimenting eachother. I think Cornell could have a very successful solo career, and he'd be making better music. I liked his solo stuff a lot. And the remains of RATM would be much better off with Morello providing the main creative direction for a harder band.
  • Options
    enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    travis2000 wrote:
    I would like some of these Audioslave and Velvet Revolver bashers to please offer some alternatives... Rock radio these days is INFESTED with EMO SHIT so when a new Audioslave or Velvet Revolver arrives, I have to buy it because I NEED straight up new rock and roll. I can't think of any other bands that can offer that to me. And there are a ton of bands who's songs sound the same, especially to people who don't pay attention to the lyrics, which is what I think we have here. All I require from these guys is a solid rock record, and they deliver every time.

Oceansize
    Porcupine Tree
    QOTSA
    Animal Pharm
    Jordan Cook

Muse finally made a good album worthy of their hype. Even the new Helmet rocks harder, though Page Hamilton is no Chris Cornell.
  • Options
    BRAD WILK = ROGER FEDERER?!?!?!?

you're off your nut!
  • Options
    mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    ^ They DO look alike.
  • Options
    enharmonic wrote:
    Oceansize
    Porcupine Tree
    QOTSA
    Animal Pharm
    Jordan Cook

Muse finally made a good album worthy of their hype. Even the new Helmet rocks harder, though Page Hamilton is no Chris Cornell.

Some good bands there. Are you in the Uk? Going to see Porcupine Tree @ Astoria in September?
  • Options
    Brisk wrote:
    Some good bands there. Are you in the Uk? Going to see Porcupine Tree @ Astoria in September?

Sadly, I am not in the UK. It's twice as hard for me to find the good stuff because most of it has already happened by the time it gets here.

We have some good bands, but the music that is having the biggest influence on me these days comes from the UK for the most part.

Oh, and http://www.jordancook.com/ for those of you who don't know him. His band consists of Ben Shepherd on bass, and Matt Chamberlain on drums. That doesn't suck.
  • Options
    Don't blame anything on wilk, hes amazing, keep giving their cd's listens, it catches on eventually.
    PearlJam134.gif
  • Options
    rage333rage333 Posts: 157
    I like AS. I have both thier albums and saw them live. They were great live I thought.

However, I do think Brad Wilk needs to go and Tom needs to mix it up a bit with the solos. It gets so fucking annoying listening to them sometimes cause they are so predictable now. every song goes like this:

verse
    chorus
    verse
    chorus
    build/breakdown of somekind
    solo
    Chorus
    end

Has anyone else noticed that??? Change the arrangements!!!
    I am not saying all the songs SOUND the same, cause they dont. Its just the way they are arranged.
    God its annoying. I just notice they have done that same arrangement in all their albums since Evil Empire. I think a new drummer would change that. Does anyone else notice that? It was kickass in RATM, but now its just overdone and boring cause its so predictable. I heard original fire for the first time and I called out how the song would go and I was right. They need to challenge themselves more. Or fire Brad. He used to be good, but he lost it. So did morello in a way but I know he can redeem himself. Chris is great tho! I cant wait for the solo shit.
    "when the power of love overcomes the love of power,the world will be at peace"-Jimi Hendrix
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    I think Audioslave are weak all together... There is something missing I'm not sure if it's Brad Wilk at all. I think Cornell just doesnt fit with the RATM type sound matched with the fact that Cornell's vocals makes my stomach churn these days.
    I'm not a big Audio Slave fan either, but Cornel is gettign ready to work on a solo album as we speak rather than tour with the band, so maybe he's starting to feel the same way. They all claim that things are great and that they all just have alot going on in their lives, but it seems to me that he feels a little stifled in that lineup. I haven't enjoyed anything he's done in a while, but he really does have the potential to put out a truley great album.
    Let's keep our fingers crossed. Dog knows popular music could use a kick in the A.
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    are u kidding me?!?! brad is FUCKIN AWESOME!!!!!! :D:D:D
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    depplover wrote:

Erm are you kidding all of us???
  • Options
    depplover wrote:

I wouldn't want him drumming on my stuff...but that's just me.
  • Options
    depploverdepplover Posts: 189
    ^^ yes that's just you.. he rocks!!! :D
    5/09/06, 5/10/06 - FUCKIN AMAZING!!!!
  • Options
    Fair enough if you don't like them, but their songs do not all sound the same. Be yourself doesn't sound like Cochise, or Shadow on the sun, or Doesn't Remind me, or Original Fire, or Wide Awake etc etc. I can totally understand people not liking them, but please enough with the lame insults.

Let me get this out of the way, I love Audioslave. They are way better than most bands out there. I agree with you on the difference of songs BUT, they are lazy at times. Cochise & Your Time Has Come have a STRIKING similiarties in terms of the main guitar riff. Like A Stone & Be Yourself, same deal. Thats my only beef with them.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    Maybe they could give Dave A. a ring !?!
    ;)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I just saw their new video the other day and oh man what an awful song. My friends and I were laughing out loud at the guitar solo.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    ^ You mean, you were laughing WITH the solo :D
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    that works
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Thats my problem with them.

Original Fire is sooo generic.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Maybe they could give Dave A. a ring !?!
    ;)

That would certainly be a vast improvement. I agree with many in this thread, Wilk is dull.
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Thats my problem with them.

Original Fire is sooo generic.

Name me another modern rock song right now that sounds comparable with Original Fire. It's not one of their best songs, but I don't think generic is really the right word at all.
  • Options
    Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Name me another modern rock song right now that sounds comparable with Original Fire. It's not one of their best songs, but I don't think generic is really the right word at all.

Just compared with alot of other great stuff out there its generic.

It maybe a good Audioslave song for Audioslave fans but for me, someone who was a huge Soundgarden and RATM, it sounds very uninspired and, ironically, unoriginal.
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think I might have figured out part of the problem with the drumming. It's not so much that he's a bad drummer, but it's the fact that the drums are so LOUD on the Audioslave's albums. I think the loudness makes his average drumming much more noticeable, and therefore all subtlety is lost and it gets boring. I bet if the drumming were mixed a bit softer it would sound a lot better.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    bucket1988bucket1988 Posts: 212
    I think Wilk is quite powerful and satisfactory on the straight songs, like Cochise, Exploder, I Am the Highway, Be Yourself, etc., but whenever he tries to do something more complicated, like the chorus or Your Time Has Come, he sounds sloppy and kinda kills the energy.
    The words you say never seem to live up to the ones inside your head...
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    sacralidge!

seriously, i LOVE wilk's style. listen more, and you'll see. ;)

now is he my most fave drummer of all time? no, he's not quite as nuanced as a few others that i love...such as stewart copeland or jose from incubus for example...however, brad wilk is still quite good and i personally think a great fit for ratm/audioslave.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    Audioslave are so piss poor it's embarrassing, to be honest. Probably the first thing I noticed back when they released the first album was how pedestrian the drums were, how he never seemed to stray from the standard beat of a song. In fairness, i've been listening to rock music for about the last 15 years and I really expect a little more from a rhythm section than just standard drumming that could easily have been programmed on a drum machine.
    Imagine what someone like Jimmy Chambewrlain would do to an Audioslave song. I'm sure most of you have heard songs like Jellybelly by SP, that's what modern rock drumming should bloody well sound like! The drums are so important to bringing a band from just average to great, imagine what Siamese Dream would have sounded like with freaking wilk behind the drums. Boring is what!

Of course, he's not the only problem with Audioslave. The whole format just doesn't work. Morellos solos and riffs get more and more predictable with every album, he has seriously run out of ideas, big time. Cornell sounds okay, but not a patch on his SG days.

Ech, Audioslave just doesn't work!
  • Options
    I don't think you can break up Brad and Tim up because their chemistry is great once they hit their stride together, and I think they've finally hit it on "Revelations."

I think Audioslave would be a lot better if they got a different guitarist.
    I share a cigarette with negativity.
  • Options
    I think the drummer is great! he is very talented and musical. and the musical co-operation between him and the bass player is so damn good! tight!

ooooh yeees... they are goooooood
    Good-bye for now.