AUDIOSLAVE would be a lot better with a different drummer?

BriskBrisk Posts: 84
edited October 2006 in Other Music
This dude is one of the most boring drummers i've ever heard. He rarely fills out any of that room Audioslave give him and makes me cringe whenever he tries to play Soundgarden songs like Outshined & Spoonman.

I just get annoyed listening to Audioslave because of this Roger Federer lookalike. If they had Matt they would be 10 times better imo! What do you think?

How can I make a poll?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    Brisk wrote:
    This dude is one of the most boring drummers i've ever heard. He rarely fills out any of that room Audioslave give him and makes me cringe whenever he tries to play Soundgarden songs like Outshined & Spoonman.

I just get annoyed listening to Audioslave because of this Roger Federer lookalike. If they had Matt they would be 10 times better imo! What do you think?

How can I make a poll?

See I don't know how much of a RATM fan you are, but his style was PERFECT for them, true it's sparse obviously, but the music was meant to be a fusion of rap and rock and obviously on a rap album you wouldn't play like Danny Carey. Audioslave is a bit of a different one because they are quite clearly a far more straight forward rock band, BUT they do have a funky undertone to a lot of their music and again, Wilk's style fits this better than a balls-to-the-wall style.
  • thatgirlthatgirl Posts: 3,671
    i think brad wilk fits perfectly with what they have goin on...
    "I hear Fanch has a Pimp Cup and loves Kiss. I think that's all that really matters."
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    Brad's staying...........

get over it.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I agree with Brisk. Brad is the weakest link.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Listen to Rage's Evil Empire and tell me he isn't a good drummer. It's just Audioslave makes lame songs nowadays. Morello's riffs on Original Fire are bland and lack originality.
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    They'd be better if they fucked Morello off:)
    Cornell pwns u
  • bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    wow brisk,i think brad wilk is one of the better drummers in rock today....i don't know what i'm missing...
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I think Audioslave are weak all together... There is something missing I'm not sure if it's Brad Wilk at all. I think Cornell just doesnt fit with the RATM type sound matched with the fact that Cornell's vocals makes my stomach churn these days.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    bluemonkey wrote:
    wow brisk,i think brad wilk is one of the better drummers in rock today....i don't know what i'm missing...

:D

Awesome sense of humor!
  • mike_s_6mike_s_6 Posts: 160
    I have love only for Timmy C. in Audioslave. Although I'm soooo awaiting Chris' solo album more.
  • The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    It's a bit harsh to pick on the drummer of a band who seem to be going nowhere. Tired riffs and ordinary lyrics do not help!! The first album was promising, the second crap. Leave 'em be.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    He was a great drummer with Rage.
    I just think these guys have tremendous potential, but are missing something.
    I've said it before. Their songs are so repetitive. When's the Morello solo coming? Oh, there it is...you know it sounds like every other solo he's done with Audioslave. Well, that's because all their songs are structured the same with similar Morello solos.

Their first album was good. Beyond that...terrible.
    Sooooo much talent...it's really too bad.
  • they'd be better with a different lineup.
    ^ How different? :D

Hey, you guys remember Tom saying that in Audioslave, when someone has an idea, they all work very hard on that idea to create the best song? What I don't get is that when it's time for Tom to create a riff that fits the song, his band mates tell him "do something else, please!" and he does not listen to them!

Screw them!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    This thread is 100% correct.

Brad Wilk is the weak link. Drumming can make riffs much more powerful... it's not just the guitar. Wilk worked great in Rage... he fit the hip-hop style very well. But rock needs more complicated drumming than most rap. That's where Wilk drops the ball.

Audioslave would be ten times better if 1.) they dropped Brad Wilk, and 2.) Tom Morello stopped the effects-drenched solos. Tom's solos also worked well back in the 90's, but all of the originality is gone. He needs to do "real" solos that display his talent and put all the naysayers to rest.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • mike_s_6 wrote:
    ^ How different? :D

Hey, you guys remember Tom saying that in Audioslave, when someone has an idea, they all work very hard on that idea to create the best song? What I don't get is that when it's time for Tom to create a riff that fits the song, his band mates tell him "do something else, please!" and he does not listen to them!

Screw them!

i just think audioslave is a very shitty commercial band with good musicians in it. all their songs sound the same and were just made to be on modern/alternative rock radio.

i feel bad not taking them seriously cause chris is amazing and the rage guys are pretty ok...but if robert plant fronted the surving members of van halen and made the same shit noise as audioslave is doing, i still wouldn't take it seriously.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,717
    audioslave wouldn't be audioslave with any of the guys missing.

and stop comparing them to ratm and soundgarden- they aren't the same bands (hence the different names).
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    i just think audioslave is a very shitty commercial band with good musicians in it. all their songs sound the same and were just made to be on modern/alternative rock radio.

i feel bad not taking them seriously cause chris is amazing and the rage guys are pretty ok...but if robert plant fronted the surving members of van halen and made the same shit noise as audioslave is doing, i still wouldn't take it seriously.

Fair enough if you don't like them, but their songs do not all sound the same. Be yourself doesn't sound like Cochise, or Shadow on the sun, or Doesn't Remind me, or Original Fire, or Wide Awake etc etc. I can totally understand people not liking them, but please enough with the lame insults.
  • Far from being unoriginal these guys have made a concerted effort not to sound like their former bands. Rage or Soundgarden never wrote songs like Getaway Car or I am the Highway and Tom has shown that he is cable of some very delicate and complex guitar solos like Shadow on the Sun. People are upset that they are successful because they never thought that this thing would work as well as it has.
  • BriskBrisk Posts: 84
    If he is such a good drummer why can't he play the beat correctly in Outshined or do all the super fills in Spoonman ? Don't give me "he's doing his own lovely rap style BS" - it's because he doesn't have the ability to play it! I've been drumming for ages and know a lot about drums/drummers and being in a band.

Maybe this is the reason why, in some of their more recent shows, they have been making Brad face away from the crowd ? and the rest of the band?

Don't get me wrong I do like Audioslave they have some really good songs and piss all over most bands out there today, but I tend to agree with the whole "there seems to be something missing" argument, generally speaking.

I thought Euphoria Morning was a very very good album - I look forward to some more solo stuff from Chris.

You'd have to be very bold to say that Audioslave are NOT even slightly overrated? They’re definetaly NOT a “great” band. I don’t think they will stand the test of time and I sincerely doubt that people in 10 years time will chose to buy an Audioslave CD over a Soundgarden CD.
    DOSW wrote:
    This thread is 100% correct.

Brad Wilk is the weak link. Drumming can make riffs much more powerful... it's not just the guitar. Wilk worked great in Rage... he fit the hip-hop style very well. But rock needs more complicated drumming than most rap. That's where Wilk drops the ball.

Audioslave would be ten times better if 1.) they dropped Brad Wilk, and 2.) Tom Morello stopped the effects-drenched solos. Tom's solos also worked well back in the 90's, but all of the originality is gone. He needs to do "real" solos that display his talent and put all the naysayers to rest.

Ye the guitar parts often sound quite detached from the rest of the band - I think you could point some fingers at Brad here. He often just lays down a simple beat for the whole song that stays roughly the same. If I were Brad I’d be changing it up all over the place and really trying to make the drums accentuate what my other bands mates were doing at all plausible opportunities.
  • Brisk wrote:
    Ye the guitar parts often sound quite detached from the rest of the band - I think you could point some fingers at Brad here. He often just lays down a simple beat for the whole song that stays roughly the same. If I were Brad I’d be changing it up all over the place and really trying to make the drums accentuate what my other bands mates were doing at all plausible opportunities.

audioslave sounds great to me. i guess because of where the members hail from everyone thinks they should do this or that and the expectations are outrageous. i don't notice any other band being talked about like AS. it's like yall expect perfect rock and nothing else from these guys. i would never be satisfied if i only looked for perfect rock from anyone even led zeppelin. its just straight up rock music. i personally love both audioslave albums i have, but may be thats cause i don't need them to be or sound like anything specific. and their songs don't sound alike. thats a half informed opinion by people who don't have the albums, and i invite anyone to list AS songs that do. I expect the new pearl jam and audioslave and neil young and RHCP and thom yorke and whatever else albums that come out to be excellent music but never expect anything specific, that would just ruin it for me.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
    Brisk wrote:
    If he is such a good drummer why can't he play the beat correctly in Outshined or do all the super fills in Spoonman ? Don't give me "he's doing his own lovely rap style BS" - it's because he doesn't have the ability to play it! I've been drumming for ages and know a lot about drums/drummers and being in a band.

Maybe this is the reason why, in some of their more recent shows, they have been making Brad face away from the crowd ? and the rest of the band?

Don't get me wrong I do like Audioslave they have some really good songs and piss all over most bands out there today, but I tend to agree with the whole "there seems to be something missing" argument, generally speaking.

I thought Euphoria Morning was a very very good album - I look forward to some more solo stuff from Chris.

You'd have to be very bold to say that Audioslave are NOT even slightly overrated? They’re definetaly NOT a “great” band. I don’t think they will stand the test of time and I sincerely doubt that people in 10 years time will chose to buy an Audioslave CD over a Soundgarden CD.

Yeah but then I doubt Matt would play Spoonman exactly the same now either. Matt plays Given to fly much more simply than Jack Irons did, but the song as a whole still sounds good. I think you're being a tad pedantic mr brisk!!!! His drumming with rage was superb, and dare I say it but probably better than most drummers could ever hope to be. Just a question, but are you actually a ratm fan?

I'm not sure either who it is you think is rating Audioslave so highly? Ok obviously some fans, but critics aren't exactly crawling up their arses. Remember Soundgarden didn't really hit their stride till their fourth release, and by the sound of the new song clips this new Audioslave record definitely looks to be a step forward, so perhaps it will be the same kind of situation with them.
  • pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    i too like audioslave a lot. You guys can't keep comparing them to rage or sg. Granted them playing old rage songs or sg might not be as good as the originals, but as a band audioslave puts out some good stuff. Their first album had some great tracks, cochise, gasoline that had some simple but powerful drumming. If you listen to ac/dc it definitely isn't complicated drumming but it fits. I have yet to see them live but from what i've heard they tear it up live. Audioslave is great.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05
  • i've listened to AS today and i really think they play great classic rock. they have their own style and it is one i definately dig. for that straight up rock they are my favorite of current bands, along with pearl jam.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • We All BelieveWe All Believe Scarsdale, NY Posts: 420
    Hilarious. He does look like Roger Federer (who lost a match in North America for the first time in 2 years earlier today).

He's a so-so drummer. Original Fire is terrible. Their first 2 albums weren't bad, but at least they aren't Velvet Revolver, which is awful.
    If not for love, I would be drowning.

Join the fight to prevent suicide at www.afsp.org
    You guys know what, no one shoved into my head the idea that Brad sucks as a drummer. Aren't you guys wondering why there are so many people who bitch about his skills? I think he really, just, sucks. I don't care how great he was in Rage - even in Rage, he still does not par up with the best of them. He's in a new band now, and he can't make himself sound dynamic, and that's a fact.
    Hilarious. He does look like Roger Federer (who lost a match in North America for the first time in 2 years earlier today).

He's a so-so drummer. Original Fire is terrible. Their first 2 albums weren't bad, but at least they aren't Velvet Revolver, which is awful.

Ye was flicking between that and the England match. First time he has lost outside the final for 17 tournaments! Even better was beaten by the rising star in the UK:)
  • I would like some of these Audioslave and Velvet Revolver bashers to please offer some alternatives... Rock radio these days is INFESTED with EMO SHIT so when a new Audioslave or Velvet Revolver arrives, I have to buy it because I NEED straight up new rock and roll. I can't think of any other bands that can offer that to me. And there are a ton of bands who's songs sound the same, especially to people who don't pay attention to the lyrics, which is what I think we have here. All I require from these guys is a solid rock record, and they deliver every time.
    9/4/05 Calgary
  • lephtylephty Posts: 770
    get rid of Brad?

when i heard there new song.. the only thing i disliked about it is the SAME GOD DAMNED GENERIC TOM MORELLO SOLO!

either make him stop doing those solo's or make him not part of the band.

bass/drums kick ass IMO~