Options

Name a good Double-Album

2»

Comments

• Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    yerrey wrote:
    london calling..............not only the greatest double album....greatest album ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

at the very worst top 5 ever
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    "L" by moe.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • Options
    rcs wrote:
    Ben Harper - Live from Mars

Damn, that was mine!!

Nice call!!! ..... it's one of my favourites ever!!
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    redred Posts: 57
    the Tragically Hip - Yer Favourites
  • Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    great ones listed so far

also

Neil Young & crazy horse 'weld'

& beastie boys' 'hello nasty' is a double album if you have it on vinyl
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06
  • Options
    ok i know my nick is london calling, but if you take the bullshit out of Sandanista and made it a double album instead of a triple, it is probably the best piece of work by the Clash.
  • Options
    Yep Physical Graffiti for sure.

And the Wall, if it hasn't been mentioned already.

I don't think Lost Dogs counts, because its not really an album, just a compliation of old songs that were never released on other albums. Live from Mars hardly counts as an album either, although it is my favourite Ben Harper stuff.
    It doesn't matter if you're male, female, or confused; black, white, brown, red, green, yellow; gay, lesbian; redneck cop, stoned; ugly; military style, doggy style; fat, rich or poor; vegetarian or cannibal; bum, hippie, virgin; famous or drunk-you're either an asshole or you're not!

-C Addison
  • Options
    Brant Bjork and the Bros: Saved by magic
  • Options
    Live albums and greatest albums shouldn't count because the songs on the discs are by default great music from the band. Would a band put together their crapiest music and play it live to record? I doubt it. I think one could certainly say, "who has the best live record?" because then you are comparing apples to apples. Comparing stuff in the studio and stuff on stage is apples to oranges. And obviously a greatest hits record is the greatest from the band, how can that be compared to something that was written at once and not pre-selected from many, many albums based on record sales?

Not a big deal really, just my opinion.
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    being that im only 15, these are the albums i know to be doubles on CD:

Foo Fighters-In Your Honor
    The Beatles-White Album
    Guns n Roses-Use Your Illusions I/II
    Led Zeppelin-Physical Graffiti
    The Clash-Sandinista!(yeah its excessive, but its got some of the best Clash songs out there)

and I know the Clash's London Calling was double on vinyl and thats just simply one of the greatest albums of all time
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    This thread got me thinking so I googled. This link has a pretty complete list. There are quite a few really good ones. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_double_albums
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    the fragile
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Lost_Clay wrote:
    great ones listed so far

also

Neil Young & crazy horse 'weld'

& beastie boys' 'hello nasty' is a double album if you have it on vinyl

Hell yeah Weld! Of course Lost Dogs would probably be my favorite. The White Album is at the top too. And there are some greatest hits collections -for instance Beastie Boys Anthology and the Rolling Stones London Years (it's actually a three disc set).
  • Options
    mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    Live albums and greatest albums shouldn't count because the songs on the discs are by default great music from the band. Would a band put together their crapiest music and play it live to record? I doubt it. I think one could certainly say, "who has the best live record?" because then you are comparing apples to apples. Comparing stuff in the studio and stuff on stage is apples to oranges. And obviously a greatest hits record is the greatest from the band, how can that be compared to something that was written at once and not pre-selected from many, many albums based on record sales?

Not a big deal really, just my opinion.

I was pure going to sya the same thing, I'm a little surprised that a bunch of people haven't started shouting out like "Random Pearl Jam bootleg!!". But anyways I will be the one to add Sign O' the Times by Muthafucking Prince to the list, 1999 is a double as well but just not as good
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • Options
    yerreyyerrey Posts: 183
    ok i know my nick is london calling, but if you take the bullshit out of Sandanista and made it a double album instead of a triple, it is probably the best piece of work by the Clash.

oooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh....that's tough... nevertheless, sandinista! is friggin amazing!
  • Options
    XiangXiang Posts: 73
    Most double albums from the 60's and 70's are no longer than your average CD these days.

Anyway, Beatles White Album and Pearl Jams Lost Dogs are my favorites. Unfortunately a lot of double albums have too much filler.
  • Options
    pazmanpazman Posts: 197
    Physical Graffitti - LED ZEPPELIN
    I had it all once I gave it back
  • Options
    Melon Collie
    The Wall
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    Tool - Lateralus (double vinyl)
    I've done the math enough to know the dangers of our second guessing.

EF-PSYCHO-03!!!
  • Options
    husker du - zen arcade
    sonic youth - daydream nation
  • Options
    {[No_Code}]{[No_Code}] Posts: 4,059
    an Old one: The Beatles - White Album

a new one:

Wilco - Being There
    So that is how I learned the lesson that everyone is alone. And your eyes must do some raining if you are ever going to grow. But when crying don't help and you can't compose yourself. It is best to compose a poem, an honest longing or simple song of hope.
    That is why I'm singing
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    Zep's Physical Graffitti is probably one of the best out there.

the worst led zep ever.
  • Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    My favorite double albums are:

Physical Grafitti-Led Zeppelin
    The White Album-The Beatles
    The River-Bruce Springsteen
    Mellon Collie-Smashing Pumpkins
    Quadrophenia-The Who
    The Fragile-Nine Inch Nails
    Songs in the Key of Life-Stevie Wonder
    Something/Anything-Todd Rundgren
    The Wall-Pink Floyd
    Degredation Trip Vol. 1 & 2-Jerry Cantrell
    Lost Dogs-Pearl Jam
    Being There-Wilco
    Substance-New Order
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    Springsteen - The River
    Genesis - 3 Sides Live (does this count as a double album?)