Whos The Greatest Guitarist?

Comments

• BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    boroff89 wrote:
    Who honestly gives a shit about technical skill? Joe Satriani may be a great technical guitar player, but when he plays something that actually reaches and touches my soul, I'll give a shit about him.

Of course people will make a discussion out of it, and everyone has different criteria for what makes a great guitar player. But as far as I am concerned, the question begins and ends with Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. There is not another rock guitarist who is in the same ballpark.

Satriani without a doubt touches my soul...you just don't know a lot of his stuff.

Try his self-titled, bluesy album. It's intense.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    all this talk of Satriani, im suprised nobody has mentioned Eric Johnson
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    BinFrog wrote:
    Satriani without a doubt touches my soul...you just don't know a lot of his stuff.

Try his self-titled, bluesy album. It's intense.
    such a typical appraisal from that kind of musician's fans. Perhaps he just doesn't feel anything from Satriani. I've heard a shit load of Satch. I certainly know a lot of his stuff. I don't rate him much at all, as an artist. I don't even rate him amongst the shredder types. He's a very technically able musician. He just doesn't make music that speaks to me.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    Has anyone mentioned Nels Cline yet? Because I have not read this thread. I just happen to think he is the best.
    Cock Fight.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    boroff89 wrote:
    Who honestly gives a shit about technical skill? Joe Satriani may be a great technical guitar player, but when he plays something that actually reaches and touches my soul, I'll give a shit about him.

Of course people will make a discussion out of it, and everyone has different criteria for what makes a great guitar player. But as far as I am concerned, the question begins and ends with Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. There is not another rock guitarist who is in the same ballpark.

Funny that you said this when today on my way home from a long day at work I was playing and kept repeating this song by Satch called......Clouds Race Across The Sky.

I have everything by this guy, seen him live near 12-15X. It takes awhile for his music and licks to sink but man when it does it's a awesome feeling. I love his slower almost love type songs and on the other end his speed more fast pace song with that masterful Stu Hamm bass is overwhelming.

The other coincidence it that I had The Essential Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble and Jimi Hendrix's Best of in my 12 disc player. However like I posted earlier on page 5 I think amongst the Living Joe SATRIANI Is The MAN.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    such a typical appraisal from that kind of musician's fans. Perhaps he just doesn't feel anything from Satriani. I've heard a shit load of Satch. I certainly know a lot of his stuff. I don't rate him much at all, as an artist. I don't even rate him amongst the shredder types. He's a very technically able musician. He just doesn't make music that speaks to me.

Thanks, that about covers it. I love the assumpions people on this board make. Whenever you don't react to something in the same way they do, they assume you haven't listened to enough of it.

In terms of living guitarists, the ones that speak to me most are Mike McCready, Lindsey Buckingham (horribly, horrible underrated), Nels Cline, David Gilmour, and Mike Einziger.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • I think the issue is more that Satch is lumped in as a "shredder" along with Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci et all. Joe isn't as technically proficient as any of these or similar guitarists and writes songs with meaning. They aren't endless runs of fast notes, they mean something. For me he isn't really comparable to any other guitarists; no other instrumental artists can affect me the way Satch can and that makes him unique. I hate for him to be stereotyped.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    ^^ You make a valid point in that Clapton has been fairly boring for some years now, but I am of the opinion that he is still absolutely capable of turning out blistering solos...he just chooses not to
    You obviously haven't seen him live. His albums suck badly but on stage brilliant.

But no love for my favourite of all time.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE9IpD4fc3M&feature=related
    Rory G RIP
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,932
    Sweet Little Angel - BB King, Clapton, Buddy Guy, Jeff Beck, Albert Collins

Let the Good Times Roll

Buddy Guy and Clapton

Fuck Yeah! Clapton is awesome in that last video, in the others too, of course, but damn! And Buddy, as always, kicks ass!
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    hoopinman wrote:
    all this talk of Satriani, im suprised nobody has mentioned Eric Johnson

Love him too. It is impossible for Cliffs Of Dover (or Trademark, or SRV, or Victory, or Zap, or Righteous) to not put me in a good mood.
    I like Roy Buchanan too! And Petrucci.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
    boroff89 wrote:
    Thanks, that about covers it. I love the assumpions people on this board make. Whenever you don't react to something in the same way they do, they assume you haven't listened to enough of it.

In terms of living guitarists, the ones that speak to me most are Mike McCready, Lindsey Buckingham (horribly, horrible underrated), Nels Cline, David Gilmour, and Mike Einziger.

Actually I think it is a perfectly valid response w/ regards to Satriani. Most people think of him as still stuck in the "Surfing With The Alien" pure shred stuff. He has a ton of really good albums since then, most are very well done and not as flashy. He makes really good music but, in my experience, MANY people just write him off as soulless and gimmicky. I'm saying that a lot of other guitarists are that way, but not him. I find a lot of people group him in with the shred/solo guitarist genre, but the man has soul more than most people know.

"You haven't heard much" is a valid response. How many times have people told you they loved PJ when Ten came out but that everything after sucks...when really all they know is Daughter and Betterman? Without knowing you, I am only assuming you do not know a lot of his music. I may be wrong, but with MOST people that is the case.

Give these an honest listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFS9NBztaXw
    Down, Down, Down (from my favorite album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fExyjlG7Q
    Cool #9 (from the same album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vVRaAtKQAE
    Chords Of Life
    Two more: Justin King and Doc Watson.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Here's the second greatest guitarist of all time, in my view. One note from this man wipes out whole universes of shredders. This, my friends, is tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZHT2XvoLM
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Here's the second greatest guitarist of all time, in my view. One note from this man wipes out whole universes of shredders. This, my friends, is tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZHT2XvoLM
    Nobody seems to care about tone anymore which is a shame.

Tone = Mark Knopfler, Dave Gilmour, Clapton, Doyle Bramhall.. I'll think of some others.
    I think the issue is more that Satch is lumped in as a "shredder" along with Vai, Malmsteen, Petrucci et all. Joe isn't as technically proficient as any of these or similar guitarists and writes songs with meaning. They aren't endless runs of fast notes, they mean something. For me he isn't really comparable to any other guitarists; no other instrumental artists can affect me the way Satch can and that makes him unique. I hate for him to be stereotyped.
    Vai does the "slow, meaningful" songs just as well as Satriani does. They're both very talented guitarists. Thing is, this thing that their fans say about them doing slow, meaningful songs is not really a strong argument as to why they are a cut above the other shredders. The slower songs are generally over-produced cheesefests that are the lead guitar equivalent of a Michael Bolton ballad.

Where's the fucking danger in this music?
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    My favourites:

Hendrix (always liked him)
    Lindsey Buckingham (awesome rhythm player)
    Johnny Marr (the most underated guitarist in the world)
    Marc Ribot (Love his work with Tom Waits)
    John Frusciante (overlooked because everyone hates the chilis....but such a beautiful player)
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    BinFrog wrote:
    Actually I think it is a perfectly valid response w/ regards to Satriani. Most people think of him as still stuck in the "Surfing With The Alien" pure shred stuff. He has a ton of really good albums since then, most are very well done and not as flashy. He makes really good music but, in my experience, MANY people just write him off as soulless and gimmicky. I'm saying that a lot of other guitarists are that way, but not him. I find a lot of people group him in with the shred/solo guitarist genre, but the man has soul more than most people know.

"You haven't heard much" is a valid response. How many times have people told you they loved PJ when Ten came out but that everything after sucks...when really all they know is Daughter and Betterman? Without knowing you, I am only assuming you do not know a lot of his music. I may be wrong, but with MOST people that is the case.

Give these an honest listen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFS9NBztaXw
    Down, Down, Down (from my favorite album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2fExyjlG7Q
    Cool #9 (from the same album)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vVRaAtKQAE
    Chords Of Life

NICE....choices and her's another that started it all with Satriani...called Hordes Of Locusts. I heard by accident at Circuit City listening room for speakers way back when and man I cranked it up till the walls were shaking. I've been hooked ever since.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I am very glad to see I'm not alone in my choice and that John has gotten a few honorable mentions :)...and its great to see the debate ongoing...I think its a great debate
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • mohomoho Posts: 540
    Any fool who doesn't agree that Jimi is clearly the best is... well.. a fool! ;)

SRV comes close, there's a host of others though... Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, BB King, Paco De Luca etc etc, you could go on forever and ever but in terms of playing the blues, playing rock, playing rhtyhm, playing lead, improvisation, innovation with effects, the artisitic and musical use of noise and feedback etc etc Jimi wins hands down on all those accounts. No one else comes close.

To argue that Jimi is overrated or to say he is clearly the best is a cliche is a very silly argument.

JIMI HENDRIX
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
    moho wrote:
    SRV comes close, there's a host of others though... Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, BB King, Paco De Luca etc etc
    Paco is a beast.
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    moho wrote:
    Any fool who doesn't agree that Jimi is clearly the best is... well.. a fool! ;)

SRV comes close, there's a host of others though... Pat Metheny, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, BB King, Paco De Luca etc etc, you could go on forever and ever but in terms of playing the blues, playing rock, playing rhtyhm, playing lead, improvisation, innovation with effects, the artisitic and musical use of noise and feedback etc etc Jimi wins hands down on all those accounts. No one else comes close.

To argue that Jimi is overrated or to say he is clearly the best is a cliche is a very silly argument.

JIMI HENDRIX

I think the argument that some have is the same argument that some have saying Elvis is the greatest performer who ever lived...the fact that you're first doesnt mean someone can't come along and take what you've done and expand on it..Jimi is the master teacher..hands down...SRV is the master teacher...hands down...but who has come along and grabbed the torch and expanded..Jimi and Stevie died too early because I think they had so much more to offer but to see the students of their trade taking their style and interpreting to what may have come next is exciting..Thats why I love John Frusciante..I think he's the closest thing we have to what Jimi's teaching have brought to music. Satriani I saw in concert (amazing technical guitarist) I saw Vai..I saw Otmar Liebert (sp) all amazing in their own right...
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

"hi, i'm john frusciante. i take the less-is-more approach because i am too inferior to even play more than i do"

"hi, i'm stevie ray vaughn. i graduated from the jimi hendrix school of guitar playing. when i bend one note for 87 seconds, people think i have soul"

in case you haven't figured it out, i think every one of these guys is a fucking joke.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

"hi, i'm john frusciante. i take the less-is-more approach because i am too inferior to even play more than i do"

"hi, i'm stevie ray vaughn. i graduated from the jimi hendrix school of guitar playing. when i bend one note for 87 seconds, people think i have soul"

in case you haven't figured it out, i think every one of these guys is a fucking joke.
    Well, you're entitled to your opinion, I guess. Even though you're clearly wrong on at least two counts.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
    "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

ha
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    "hi, i'm jimi hendrix, i can play novice blues songs through a wah peddle. call me the greatest ever"

Do you watch Buckethead videos with the sound muted? I can see his appeal, then.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Vai does the "slow, meaningful" songs just as well as Satriani does. They're both very talented guitarists. Thing is, this thing that their fans say about them doing slow, meaningful songs is not really a strong argument as to why they are a cut above the other shredders. The slower songs are generally over-produced cheesefests that are the lead guitar equivalent of a Michael Bolton ballad.

Where's the fucking danger in this music?
    Call me crazy but I don't remember mentioning the word "slow" in any of my posts. Flying In A Blue Dream and Made Of Tears are two of my favourite Satch songs because they convey such emotion. Neither are slow, they are both uptempo with a driving rhythm. Satch has evolved with the times, as has Vai to an extent. If you think the old stuff is too cheesy just listen to the new stuff; the majority of it is very contemporary.
    Call me crazy but I don't remember mentioning the word "slow" in any of my posts. Flying In A Blue Dream and Made Of Tears are two of my favourite Satch songs because they convey such emotion. Neither are slow, they are both uptempo with a driving rhythm. Satch has evolved with the times, as has Vai to an extent. If you think the old stuff is too cheesy just listen to the new stuff; the majority of it is very contemporary.
    "They aren't endless runs of fast notes, they mean something."

I looked to the deeper meaning of the sentence. I didn't mean to misquote you. I was referring to other people in the thread as well though, not just you.

I guess it's all a matter of taste. I don't see anything in Flying in a Blue Dream but a shallow attempt at "soulful" playing but it's entirely your right to think otherwise. I guess with these types of guitarists, they are TOO technically able for me, to the extent where they sound far too clinical and perfect, even when not playing a demanding piece. I'm not opposed to guitar virtuosity at all, I'm a jazz fanatic and people like John McLaughlin and Sonny Sharrock could easily give Satch and Vai a run for their money. I guess it's just that the style of music that Satriani and players of his ilk traffic in isn't for me. It doesn't get under my skin, doesn't provoke any feelings in me.
  • ^ Fair enough. When a post is well-explained and justified I can totally understand it. :)
  • jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    The most awesome and original sounds I've heard for a while. Also check out their version of Stairway to Heaven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGQ6imfUrSs&feature=related
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....