Introduce an obscure old band/artist you think people should hear

Comments

• psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    StoneG82 wrote:
    my bloody valentine - check out "loveless". greatest shoegazer record ever made.

agreed!
    this is one of my favourite songs ever...
    only shallow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB8nCE2EoIw
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Anyone who likes acoustic guitar music should hear Davy Graham. Without him, there'd be no Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, John Martyn, Nick Drake, or acoustic Jimmy Page.

Try track three, Sunshine Raga:

http://www.myspace.com/davygraham
  • caifan82caifan82 Mexico City Posts: 321
    The Gathering:

http://www.gathering.nl

Awesome dutch band. I would say it's a mix between Radiohead, the Cranberries, Garbage and Godspeed You! Black Emperor. Hehe, I don't know how to describe them. Check the following songs to get an idea: "Your Troubles are Over", "Shortest Day", "Mosters", "Black Light District", "Travel", "Saturnine"... and many others!
    Mexico City - July 17th 2003
    Mexico City - July 18th 2003
    Mexico City - July 19th 2003
    Monterrey - December 7th 2005
    Mexico City - December 9th 2005
    Mexico City - December 10th 2005
    Mexico City - November 24th 2011
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    olderman wrote:
    Ten Years After

one of the highlights of the original woodstock film is "I'm Going Home" by these hard rockin sonsa bitches. awesome stuff.

Thanks Olderman. I can see the album cover in my mind's eye, but couldn't remember the band's name for the life of me. Too many fuzzy days back then. :)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    olderman wrote:
    Ten Years After

one of the highlights of the original woodstock film is "I'm Going Home" by these hard rockin sonsa bitches. awesome stuff.

Thanks Olderman. I can see the album cover in my mind's eye, but couldn't remember the band's name for the life of me. Too many fuzzy days back then. :)
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
    olderman wrote:
    Ten Years After

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    olderman wrote:
    Ten Years After

Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
    sorry for all the posts, the servers where I work SUCK THE BIG ONE!!!!
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

Henry David Thoreau
  • JamalJamal Posts: 2,115
    Okay, as we're obviously going for the good old days (which I have sadly not lived :()

- Jethro Tull ... : pure genius
    Surf little waves big... Charge big waves hard

- Antwerp '06, Nijmegen '07, Werchter '07
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    psycosmic wrote:
    not obscure but totally underappreciated:

THE KINKS

ray davis is a songwriting genius (at least he was in the 60s and early 70s, i can do without most of his 80s stuff)

if you don't agree that "waterloo sunset" is a masterpiece chances are you might be deaf...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psj4an971NA

I love the Kinks and have been on a huge Kinks kick lately. Most underrated British explosion band by far.

Anyone know Pond? I keep trying to bring them up in posts like this and no-one ever says anything. Their first 2 albums are awesome but were just lost in the grunge-era shuffle. The 3rd album is ok, but it's all about the first 2.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Sathogwa wrote:
    EARLY Steve Miller Band, homeboy.

Most people are completely unaware of what he was doing at the begining of his career, and how vital and real that music was. Very different from the stuff that made him popular.

Hell yeah, man! I love the first disc of that king biscuit live collection, done just before he was going to break out with the Joker. That's just great shit.
    Spectrum 4/28/03
    State College 5/3/03
    Camden 7/5/03
    Camden 7/6/03

makes much more sense
    to live in the present tense
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Robyn Hitchcock. Love him. Also in the orignial Soft Boys.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    not unbelievably obscure, but- the ventures. from the 60s.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    NCBRI wrote:
    Archers of Loaf - There is a video at the VH1 page (click the link for the page) for "Web in Front". The video is pretty bad, but its a great song and if anyone has the soundtrack to Kevin Smith's Mallrats you will recognize the song.
    this was one of my favorite bands to come out of the 90's. So glad I got to see them live before their demise. Seconds Before the Accident is such a good live disc, White Trash Heroes and Dead Red Eyes give me chills.
  • Big Star.
    "Of course it hurts. You're getting fucked by an elephant."
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    Big Star.

oh yeah!!! alex chilton ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Thelonious Monster
    Saxon
    The Buck Pets

Thelonious Monster was an great band, especially live. ...Baby, you're bumming me out in a supreme fashion is one of my favorite albums. I'd love to find that one on CD. Wonder what Bob is up to these days.

Great to see them mentioned here!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • kdpjam wrote:
    oh yeah!!! alex chilton ;)

I absolutely love the #1 Record/Radio City cd.
  • Survo-Survo- Posts: 72
    Maybe you all know of them but:

Helmet
    TAD
    Dinosaur Jr.
  • Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    The Jesus and Mary Chain
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    not unbelievably obscure, but- the ventures. from the 60s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgHced1hpBk

:D
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • New Edition.

Seriously.
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Survo- wrote:
    Dinosaur Jr.

one of my all time favorite bands. Check out "You're Living All Over Me". your life will never be the same.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Pat HPat H Posts: 101
    Comus - Folk/Prog from the early 70's. They released two albums in their carreer, First Utterance being the only one of importance. They are very weird, but also insanely good

Blue Cheer - Early hard rock

Robin Trower - Amazing guitarist
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Nico.
    Jim Croce.
    Neu !
    Magazine.
    Dna.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Joy division- an old band with a great music vision and dark/depressed lyrics....