Options

A GOOD Christmas Mix CD

2»

Comments

• Options
    Since someone already mentioned The Flaming Lips, I'll throw one out there that doesn't really fit the "style" of this board, but I think it's great and is widely regarded in some circles as one of the greatest non-traditional Christmas songs ever.

"Merry Christmas from the Family" by Robert Earl Keen

If you can't find his version, I know at least The Dixie Chicks have covered it, but his version is superior if you ask me.
  • Options
    twisted sister have released a christmas album. that might just be the thing . it would certainly get rid of any unwanted relatives that won't take your subtle hints.
    listening to them sing 'o come all ye faithful' at the moment.

I've actually listened to that - probably not something that I would want to do more than once but it was an experience. Is it "O Come All Ye Faithful" that sounds exactly like We're Not Gonna Take It?
  • Options
    Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    I made an X-mas mix CD a couple years back with a bunch of alt-rock artists.....

the Dandy Warhols - Little Drummer Boy
    Low - Silent Night
    Victoria Williams - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    Flaming Lips - Christmas at the Zoo
    the Pogues - Fairytale of New York
    U2 - Baby Please Come Home
    Weezer - The Christmas Song
    Tori Amos - Little Drummer Boy
    Sonic Youth - Santa Doesnt Cop Out On Dope
    Mighty Mighty Bosstones - X-mas Time
    Little Drum Machine Boy - Beck
    Martin Tielli - River
    Local H - Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
    the Ramones - Merry Christmas (I Dont Want To Fight Tonight)
    Juliana Hatfield - Make It Home

.....Sufjan Stevens has a new Christmas album out too - haven't heard it yet
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • Options
    disgruntiled xmas- Local H
    Minneapolis 98, Chicago 00, San Fransisco 00, Fargo 03, Thunder Bay 05, St Paul 06 (night 2), Chicago 08 (EV) both nights

Don't it make you smile?
  • Options
    I'm not sure if anyone knows about a guy named Hawksley Workman...but he put out an amazing Christmas album called Almost A Full Moon. It is totally mind blowing.
    Also, Gord Downie has a song called Christmastime in Toronto. Great, great song.
    Listen to the Sadies.

"Who's better than Eddie Vedder?" - Oranje by Orson Corson
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    Santa Claus and his old lady - Cheech and Chong

They used to play that song on the rock station a lot back when I was home during Christmas time.

That tune always makes me laugh.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    no christmas mix is complete without "Christmas Card From a Hooker in Minneapolis" by Tom Waits.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    Anything Christmasy by Tom Waits is going to go on. There's no way it's not.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    bovy_j wrote:
    Anything Christmasy by Tom Waits is going to go on. There's no way it's not.

good man.

i like that attitude.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    doogdoog Posts: 59
    I posted this link in another thread awhile back, so i apologize if people have already seen it. There's a guitarist named Gary Hoey who does Xmas songs that are actually pretty good. I have 2 of his cds (Ho Ho Hoey and Ho Ho Hoey II). Some of them rock pretty good and some are nice and mellow. You can sample them here.

http://www.music.msn.com/search/all/?ss=ho+ho+hoey

Enjoy!