the Beatles: Abbey Road

glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
edited January 2008 in Other Music
i'm absolutely convinced that this album is beyond perfection.

the beatles has never been my fovorite band (still not), but some time ago i bought this album (Abbey Road) just for the sake of giving their music a listen. at first i did not really understand the fascination with this album, but 2 days ago i decided to revisit the album. i've been listening to it non stop, and it may be the greatest album i've ever heard. i never thought i'd be such a conformist, but it's just that fucking brilliant
Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• glasshouse wrote:

the beatles has never been my fovorite band (still not), but some time ago i bought this album (Abbey Road) just for the sake of giving their music a listen. at first i did not really understand the fascination with this album, but 2 days ago i decided to revisit the album. i've been listening to it non stop, and it may be the greatest album i've ever heard. i never thought i'd be such a conformist, but it's just that fucking brilliant
    it is almost as good as riot act.....

but not quite....

still a decent album......
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • it is almost as good as riot act.....

but not quite....

still a decent album......

Lol.
    Not even sure how to take this, but if we are taking it like most people take Riot Act ... yeah ... Abbey Road not nearly my favorite from the Beatles ... but if it is good enough to get you diggin' on them, i'm happy.

:D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    glasshouse wrote:

A brilliant album, no doubt. :)
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Abbey road is easily in my top ten albums ever. Brilliant album.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    My personal favourite Beatles album.....love it......
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I think Magical Mystery Tour is a better album than Abbey Road...
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Your record must not have Octupus Garden on it then
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • my favourite beatles album...yeah it's perfect
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf
    DOSW wrote:
    I think Magical Mystery Tour is a better album than Abbey Road...

Really?

I think its very patchy and half arsed.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Really?

I think its very patchy and half arsed.....

Yeah, but that's how Abbey Road feels to me. Abbey Road has some of the Beatles best songs on there, but also some of the dumbest and worst. Magical Mystery Tour isn't my favorite but I think it's much more enjoyable than Abbey Road.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, but that's how Abbey Road feels to me. Abbey Road has some of the Beatles best songs on there, but also some of the dumbest and worst.

Well, i wouldnt mind seeing the back of Maxwells Silver Hammer......

But that second half of Abbey Road just blow me away, especially the bit where Paul, John and George take it in turns doing the guitar solos, it just sounds such a great jam.....
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Shitloads of money was spent on Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Paul thought it had single potential. I think more was spent on it than all the other songs on the album put together (or at least, that claim was made anyway).
    Shitloads of money was spent on Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Paul thought it had single potential. I think more was spent on it than all the other songs on the album put together (or at least, that claim was made anyway).

Really? Man, Paul is so inconsistant with his output...its an AWFUL song....
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440

that is true

Great record
    should be in everybody's top ten of all time
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Really? Man, Paul is so inconsistant with his output...its an AWFUL song....

He'd been trying to push it on the other Beatles since The White Album. George walked out on the Get Back (later Let it Be) album/film sessions largely because of Paul telling him what to play on the track and how to play it.
    DOSW wrote:
    Yeah, but that's how Abbey Road feels to me. Abbey Road has some of the Beatles best songs on there, but also some of the dumbest and worst. Magical Mystery Tour isn't my favorite but I think it's much more enjoyable than Abbey Road.

I agree with you
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Get_Right wrote:
    that is true

Great record
    should be in everybody's top ten of all time

Why should it be in everybodys top ten?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Listen to 'Abbey Road'... think about this...
    It was only 6 years earlier that the Beatles wrote 'She Loves You'. So, in a 6 year period, The Beatles went from 'She Loves You... Yeah. Yeah. Yeah' to that brilliant Side Two... and everything in between.
    All before reaching the age of 30.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    Cosmo wrote:
    Listen to 'Abbey Road'... think about this...
    It was only 6 years earlier that the Beatles wrote 'She Loves You'. So, in a 6 year period, The Beatles went from 'She Loves You... Yeah. Yeah. Yeah' to that brilliant Side Two... and everything in between.
    All before reaching the age of 30.

Exactly, thats why they piss over most bands today.....

Beatles output and how fast their music matured was stunning, even if you dont like their stuff, that alone has to be appreciated.....

I fuckin' love them.....
  • I'll never understand why people hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Only Paul Freakin' McCartney could write a tune that catchy about a guy who goes around killing people by hitting them in the head with a hammer.

Side 2 owns, though I don't like Sun King at all. You Never Give Me Your Money is probably my favorite on the album (I love how he sings the 'outta college, money spent' part). and the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley is probably the greatest thing ever created.

so yeah Abbey Road is pretty great. best guitar album from the Beatles if ya ask me. I'll still take Pepper's, the Mystery Tour and the White Album over it any day of the week though.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HushBullHushBull Posts: 996
    Possibly my favorite album all time. The McCartney/Lennon suites are amazing.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    i just had to come and share my love for the medley. side 2 is the most amazing thing you can do for your ears since the q-tip
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I have MASSIVE problems with later Beatles stuff, particularly McCartney's work, but Abbey Road is as close to perfect as they came. Just incredible.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Why should it be in everybodys top ten?

cause its that good
    and even if your not a beatles fan it deserves to be recognized as one of the best of all time
    Get_Right wrote:
    cause its that good
    and even if your not a beatles fan it deserves to be recognized as one of the best of all time

Im a pretty big Beatles fan but there are still many albums that I prefer to this
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I'll never understand why people hate Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Only Paul Freakin' McCartney could write a tune that catchy about a guy who goes around killing people by hitting them in the head with a hammer.

Side 2 owns, though I don't like Sun King at all. You Never Give Me Your Money is probably my favorite on the album (I love how he sings the 'outta college, money spent' part). and the Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End medley is probably the greatest thing ever created.

so yeah Abbey Road is pretty great. best guitar album from the Beatles if ya ask me. I'll still take Pepper's, the Mystery Tour and the White Album over it any day of the week though.
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a shite song. McCartney has some sort of bizarre penchant for writing irritating nursery rhyme style songs that just get in the way of some genuinely brilliant songs on the album.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer is a shite song. McCartney has some sort of bizarre penchant for writing irritating nursery rhyme style songs that just get in the way of some genuinely brilliant songs on the album.

Maxwells Silver Hammer is still a million times better than Octopus Garden
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

Im a pretty big Beatles fan but there are still many albums that I prefer to this

except for you then-and like I said, even if its not your favorite, it deserves that much respect

yeah except I always think of Steve Martin when I hear that song
    ugh

At least Octopus' Garden KNOWS its a bit shit.....

I love Macca's earlier Beatles stuff, but not the later stuff.....

Sgt. Pepper is very overated....and im a HUGE Beatles fan.....