Introduce an obscure old band/artist you think people should hear

FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
edited August 2006 in Other Music
Taking kdpjam's idea about introducing new bands and artists, introduce people to acts that you think are underappreciated, and/or might have slipped under people's radars.

I'll start. Here's Fotheringay, featuring Sandy Denny, whom Zep fans will know sang on Battle of Evermore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTae4KLRn9c&mode=related&search=
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• psycosmicpsycosmic Posts: 504
    not obscure but totally underappreciated:

THE KINKS

ray davis is a songwriting genius (at least he was in the 60s and early 70s, i can do without most of his 80s stuff)

if you don't agree that "waterloo sunset" is a masterpiece chances are you might be deaf...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psj4an971NA
    ~~~
    Some days you wake up and sit on a park bench next to an eighty year old Russian architect, and some days you don't. I think this is my new life philosophy.

http://epplehausradio.blogspot.com/

pearl jam @ the astoria, london, 20/04/06
  • MetalGod75MetalGod75 Posts: 262
    Heres my recommendation;)Freak Of Nature early 90's band that released 2 albums while together and 1 posthumously.Their 2nd album Gathering Of Freaks is my favourite easily as good as Ten and Superunknown IMHO:)The band featured Mike Tramp(ex White Lion) on vocals.If ya wanna know more visit http://www.miketramp.com
    The albums are now deleted but you can get a boxset of the 3 together called Freakthology from Mikes website.Classic stuff that fit in perfectly with the "grunge" scene but were never heard of outside of Europe.
    Cornell pwns u
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    Here's Ray Davies's myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/raydavies
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    psycosmic wrote:

THE KINKS

ray davis is a songwriting genius (at least he was in the 60s and early 70s, i can do without most of his 80s stuff)

if you don't agree that "waterloo sunset" is a masterpiece chances are you might be deaf...
    odd, I picked up their 1972 disc (name is escaping me at the moment) just yesterday. I thought I'd give them a shot.

good thread, I can't really contribute because I don't know any obscure older bands (like 60's/70's bands). I hope to pick up some good recommendations here.
  • Neutral Milk Hotel: Released mid- and late-1990s CDs, the latter of which Magnet Magazine called the best indie release of all time. Others, including me, call it the best indie record of all time.

At the heart of "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" is Jeff Mangum's wild, scratchy voice spouting out incredibly image-rich lines. It takes several listens to "get it," but once you do, you're free to roam in a world steeped in Anne Frank's traumatic experiences.

At just about 40 minutes, it's a tight record, save for the sprawling 8-minute "Oh, Comely." Mangum recorded that track in one take, and you can hear Apples in Stereo frontman and this record's producer yelp, "Oh, shit," at the end.

Oh, shit, indeed. "Aeroplane" is about as genius as they come.

And wouldn't you know it, Mangum has largely disappeared just like his hero, Brian Wilson, once did. Wilson returned to complete his unfinished masterpiece (his second, with "Pet Sounds), and only hope can bring Mangum back to record one more grassroots epic.
    http://www.myspace.com/kevncoyne

Try track two, House on the Hill.
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Here are a couple of Chapel Hill bands that were on the edge of becoming pretty big in the early to mid 90's:

Archers of Loaf - There is a video at the VH1 page (click the link for the page) for "Web in Front". The video is pretty bad, but its a great song and if anyone has the soundtrack to Kevin Smith's Mallrats you will recognize the song.

Superchunk - My favorite song was "Driveway to Driveway"
    Brian
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    Check out early Steve Miller Band. A lot of people think of him as being the ultimate hack boogie pop-rock cocaine artist of the 70's but his early stuff is awesome! The first three albums are the ones to check out. I have them on vinyl and their names escape me right now. Its VERY psychadelic, garagey maximum R&B, with some Hendrixy guitar jams, and even some Floydian space rock. He was part of the San Fransisco scene. It has a LOT more grit and testicals than his later stuff. It is underappreciated because that is all you hear on the radio, and people right it off.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Thelonious Monster
    Saxon
    The Buck Pets
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Ahhh, Todd.

Here's some solo Sandy Denny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rd_gMrmf6g&mode=related&search=
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    you fuckers are taking me back to the fuckin' day!!!

too much of nothin' by dylan et al.. YES!

another underrated band, not totaly under the radar, was Little Feat. they even recognized this fact in that they titled what was at the time the best LIVE LP ever released, "Waiting For Columbus."

the current edition is very good. many survivors from the early days, including Bill Payne, a key board genius who has been employed as a studio musician for countless bands.

sadly, however, the real deal, Lowell George (who also had been a member of the Mother's of Invention), had a big time weakness for cocaine. thus he is dead and so is the original genius of the band.

highly recommend that you give Little Feat a listen. Mr. George played a mean slide guitar.
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Okkervil River
    I would have added Wolfmother to this list 12 months ago.
    Guided By Voices
    Mexico City
    The Panics
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    olderman wrote:

another underrated band, not totaly under the radar, was Little Feat. they even recognized this fact in that they titled what was at the time the best LIVE LP ever released, "Waiting For Columbus."

the current edition is very good. many survivors from the early days, including Bill Payne, a key board genius who has been employed as a studio musician for countless bands.

sadly, however, the real deal, Lowell George (who also had been a member of the Mother's of Invention), had a big time weakness for cocaine. thus he is dead and so is the original genius of the band.

highly recommend that you give Little Feat a listen. Mr. George played a mean slide guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eCvNEpWcIE

"put my money in your meter baby so it won't run down,
    but you got in a squeeze play on the cheesy side of town.."

thanks fins. a rush of blood to the brain that one is..

little feat is also responsible for the classic "don't bogart that joint"
    olderman wrote:
    "put my money in your meter baby so it won't run down,
    but you got in a squeeze play on the cheesy side of town.."

thanks fins. a rush of blood to the brain that one is..

little feat is also responsible for the classic "don't bogart that joint"

I have all their albums on original Warner Brothers vinyl, inherited from my bro, who bought them at the time but now "can't find them". ;) (Shhhh.)

I love Sailing Shoes. Early Feat!
  • the kinks and steve miller are obscure?
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    How about Uriah Heep? Late 60's - possibly '70, album called Salisbury. Awesome band. And.... anybody remember a guy named Alvin Lee - from England? Can't remember the name of his band but the dude could play guitar like a madman. Saw him and his band in Miami back in '70 or so, man he could wail. For some reason he never made it big. Dunno why, I thought he was really talented.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • olderman wrote:

Didn't Lowell and Linda Ronstadt have a thing way back when?
    weenie wrote:
    And.... anybody remember a guy named Alvin Lee - from England? Can't remember the name of his band but the dude could play guitar like a madman.

Ten Years After

one of the highlights of the original woodstock film is "I'm Going Home" by these hard rockin sonsa bitches. awesome stuff.
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    How about Leaf Hound? I have a CD reissue of their album Growers of Mushroom.
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    Guided by Voices - best indie band of all time.

these shoegazer bands are all amazing:

slowdive - "souvlaki" is their masterpiece. the song "allison" brings me to tears

my bloody valentine - check out "loveless". greatest shoegazer record ever made.

ride - "nowhere" - second best shoegazer record. check out the song "vapour trail"

spiritualized - another good shoegazer band. check out "ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space"

the verve - most people know them as the band that sings "bittersweet symphony", but their best record is "A Storm in Heaven"
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • SathogwaSathogwa Posts: 227
    the kinks and steve miller are obscure?

EARLY Steve Miller Band, homeboy.

Most people are completely unaware of what he was doing at the begining of his career, and how vital and real that music was. Very different from the stuff that made him popular.
    Sleep on horseback
    Far moon in a continuing dream
    Steam of roasting tea

--Basho
  • BeBeBeBe Posts: 229
    psycosmic wrote:

THE KINKS

What a way to celebrate my 200th post! GREAT SONG!!!! Check out also Chrissie Hyndes' version of it at the Hall of Fame ceremony.

The Kinks...I agree...

I will add Blur to the list.
    Where is Lowlight?
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Quicksilver, Spirit and Procol Harem. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Quicksand
    Heatmiser
    Sunny Day Real Estate
    Hammerbox
    Paw
    Sweaty Nipples
    NERDS!
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • EbizzieEbizzie Posts: 240
    The Paul Butterfield Blues Band -- i love this shit

Son House -- i love this shit too

Nick Drake -- great shit

The Stooges -- early punkish shit

check 'em out
    "Worse than traitors in arms are the men who pretend loyalty to the flag, feast and fatten on the misfortunes of the nation while patriotic blood is crimsoning the plains." -- Abraham Lincoln
    Kevin Ayers, of the original Soft Machine:

http://www.myspace.com/clariettarag
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Guided by Voices - best indie band of all time.

these shoegazer bands are all amazing:

slowdive - "souvlaki" is their masterpiece. the song "allison" brings me to tears

my bloody valentine - check out "loveless". greatest shoegazer record ever made.

ride - "nowhere" - second best shoegazer record. check out the song "vapour trail"

spiritualized - another good shoegazer band. check out "ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space"

the verve - most people know them as the band that sings "bittersweet symphony", but their best record is "A Storm in Heaven"

Now those are some AMAZING bands.....

I would also include:

the Cure - anyone who doesn't own Disintegration is missing out on one of the best albums of all time, takes me to places that no other CD ever has

Cranes - check out the album Loved (Shining Road is a good song to start with), the girls vocals are a little different but I love 'em

Mojave 3 - Neil Halstead (from Slowdive - i LOVE that they got recognition here, Souvlaki is one of the best albums EVER)....amazing new album just came out called "Puzzles Like You"

the Jesus and Marychain - Honeys Dead....so good its scary

Spiritualized - good call, one of my all time favourites....Cop Shoot Cop (from Ladies & Gentlemen....) is incredible, although my favourite albums are Laser Guided Melodies and Pure Phase
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!