the Beatles: Abbey Road

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Maxwells Silver Hammer is still a million times better than Octopus Garden
    I disagree. Octopus' Garden is dumb but fun. Maxwell's silver hammer is dumb and about as fun as renal failure. Never understood the hate for Octopus' garden.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    Polythene Pam???
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    DOSW wrote:
    I think Magical Mystery Tour is a better album than Abbey Road...

this was released as an EP in Europe. The last six tracks weren't included.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    My second favourite Album of all time just behind Pepper
  • Joan was quizzical
    Studied pataphysical science in the home
    Late nights all alone with a test tube
    Oh oh oh oh....
    Maxwell Edison majoring in medicine
    Calls her on the phone
    "Can I take you out to the pitcures
    Jo oa oa oan?"

But as she's getting ready to go...
    A knock comes on the door...

:D
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    the 2nd half of the album (medley) is beyond genious.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Shitloads of money was spent on Maxwell's Silver Hammer. Paul thought it had single potential. I think more was spent on it than all the other songs on the album put together (or at least, that claim was made anyway).

I don't think that's true at all. It was a pretty straightforward recording. I think Paul spent a lot more time on "Oh Darling", for which he re-recorded the lead vocal at least a dozen times. Some of the alternate takes have been bootlegged and judging from their lame quality, I think it was time well spent. They also spent an assload of money on the orchestral overdubs. I doubt that Maxwell's costed as much to record as the orchestral overdubs did.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    it is almost as good as riot act.....

but not quite....

still a decent album......

oh now that explains why i was a little disappointed when i bought it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    Cosmo wrote:
    Listen to 'Abbey Road'... think about this...
    It was only 6 years earlier that the Beatles wrote 'She Loves You'. So, in a 6 year period, The Beatles went from 'She Loves You... Yeah. Yeah. Yeah' to that brilliant Side Two... and everything in between.
    All before reaching the age of 30.

Thank you for summing this up so perfectly...now I know exactly what to yell and scream at people who say "the beatles are overrated" or "the beatles were a boy band"...it amazes me that people fail to recognize the scope of what they achieved in such a short time...its staggering.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Has anyone got the 50th anniversary (2019) mix?
    Is it worth getting? I have the 2009 version.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298

Im also interested in this.

I loved the White Album anniversary release.

Sgt Peppers 2017 mix blew me away, more than White Album last year.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • willbarclaywillbarclay Ottawa, Canada Posts: 3,298
    I just really liked the White album release for all the extras. Demos and such. It just had a lot more than the Sgt Peppers release
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    I've heard a few cuts on the Beatles XM channel. An organ heavy I Want You(She's So Heavy) was really good. Looking forward to hearing more.
    #FHP
    Mr negativity Anthony Fantano did a review on YouTube, he said the only thing that is different is it is louder, more compressed.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Mr negativity Anthony Fantano did a review on YouTube, he said the only thing that is different is it is louder, more compressed.
    Nope, lots of differences.. fun to pick out... and if you really want a great listen.. get the set with the Blu-ray.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited October 2019
    I Want You (She's so heavy) is one of my all time favorite songs. I love the guitar mixed with the synth. Side B is amazing, but Side A has Harrison's best song ever, Something, and the great songs Come Together and Oh Darling. Briefly listened to the new mix last week, but need to give it a full spin. Probably do that tomorrow on the way to work.

I doubt it will match the White Album release quality for me. That one was amazing. Plus those Esher demos.
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
    MedozK said:
    Nope, lots of differences.. fun to pick out... and if you really want a great listen.. get the set with the Blu-ray.
    What is on the blu ray?
    I kind of cannot afford it now, just the standard single CD will do.
    tbergs said:
    I Want You (She's so heavy) is one of my all time favorite songs. I love the guitar mixed with the synth. Side B is amazing, but Side A has Harrison's best song ever, Something, and the great songs Come Together and Oh Darling. Briefly listened to the new mix last week, but need to give it a full spin. Probably do that tomorrow on the way to work.

I doubt it will match the White Album release quality for me. That one was amazing. Plus those Esher demos.
    Here comes the sun makes me cry almost every time.
    Yeah I love I Want You (She's so heavy) and Oh Darling.
    I also really love Because. 
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    i wish i had had the string/instrumental version of Something for my wedding.  would had been cool to have my wife walk down the aisle to that.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • rummyrummy British Columbia, Canada Posts: 4,345
    DOSW said:
    I think Magical Mystery Tour is a better album than Abbey Road...
    Not sure if it's a better album but it does have the better singles. I love 1967 Beatles!
    Maxwells Silver Hammer is still a million times better than Octopus Garden

At least Octopus' Garden KNOWS its a bit shit.....

I love Macca's earlier Beatles stuff, but not the later stuff.....

Sgt. Pepper is very overated....and im a HUGE Beatles fan.....
    I've recently grown to reappreciate Sgt. Pepper. I too was a bit down on it (probably due to its lack of great singles) but it really works well as a whole - even Paul's "granny songs!"

It's really good. Nice that the vocals a "centered" in the new stereo mixes.
  • rummy said:

It's really good. Nice that the vocals a "centered" in the new stereo mixes.
    Amen. That's what I liked most about all three of these remixed albums. They actually did this in 1999 when they remixed the songs on Yellow Submarine. For example, on that record, they centered the lead vocal on Elanor Rigby. I don't know how in the hell they didn't have it centered before. So with these recent anniversary releases, it was great to hear songs like Mr. Kite with the vocals centered. Now I don't have to listen to it in Mono (which is what I've always done with Beatles songs that didn't have the lead vocal centered).

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Yes, I love this mix. Listened to it last night and today.
    I'm hoping they (Giles Martin & Co.) get around to doing a few more reissues...maybe take a year or two off with Peter Jackson's Let It Be/Get Back film coming out and then start thinking about 60th anniversaries for the earlier albums...or better still, do a proper Beatles UK Singles release (US version, too?) where they put together all of the A-Sides and B-Sides in one two-disc (or 4-LP) set.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    edited October 2019
    Abbey Road is amazing.  I still remember the first time I heard "I Want You"...the way that song trails off and then fades back in still blows my mind.  

"Something" might be the greatest love song ever written.

Side Two is just perfect.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I love Because. 
    Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry.
    Far out John was such an awesome songwriter. 

I learned how to play that lead part in 'I want you' that copies the way it is sung. It is easy and fun.
    I just don't know how to play those chords. Had a look on Youtube, it seems hard.
    As a depression sufferer, Here Comes The Sun hits my heart.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    edited October 2019
    I love Because. 
    Because the sky is blue, it makes me cry.
    Far out John was such an awesome songwriter. 

I learned how to play that lead part in 'I want you' that copies the way it is sung. It is easy and fun.
    I just don't know how to play those chords. Had a look on Youtube, it seems hard.
    That repeated d minor walk can be a little twisty but not too bad and the chords that counter the lead that follows the vocal is dead simple.