~ REM appreciation thread ~

Comments

• Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Going to Twickenham with Audiodave, || Release Me || and Chime on 30th August.

Is playing my whole top 5 too much to ask? :D
    Crossing my fingers so they at least play WTFK? and So Fast, So Numb... surely that isn't too much... is it?!
    I'd really like to see Lotus and Mr Richards from my top 5 but I don't think there's much chance of that tbh :(
    Wake Up Bomb would be awesome to hear and Sing for the Submarine would be great... if only keep Ross happy ;)
    From the new album (well, the one's that are most likely) i'd love to see Man Sized Wreath and Living Well is the Best Revenge. The new album is incredible and I think it'll be well recieved by the crowds. I was only joking about SS being a crowd pleaser ;)

ooo...you know Audiodave? He's a dangerous man to know!

Only kidding, he's a good guy :)
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    G-Man23 wrote:
    reveal,up,and 'round da sun suck sooooooo bad! the new one though is pretty damn good! a sort of return to form.

I'm not crazy about Up, but I enjoy Around the Sun and Reveal is one of my favorite R.E.M. albums ever.

The Lifting, Leaving New York, Boy in the Well, All the Way to Reno, I'll Take the Rain, I Wanted to Be Wrong, Final Straw, Disappear, Electron Blue
    Good stuff!!!
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I'm not crazy about Up, but I enjoy Around the Sun and Reveal is one of my favorite R.E.M. albums ever.

The Lifting, Leaving New York, Boy in the Well, All the Way to Reno, I'll Take the Rain, I Wanted to Be Wrong, Final Straw, Disappear, Electron Blue
    Good stuff!!!

I love ascent of man and boy in the well from ATS. I'm the same not great with Up or Reveal for that matter.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
    WOO! Document and Life's Rich Pageant have just arrived on my desk at work :cool:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
    WOO! Document and Life's Rich Pageant have just arrived on my desk at work :cool:

exhuming mcarthy, superman, begin the begin, end of the world, the one i love, fall on me... whats not to like about these albums.. classics.

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    Zoso wrote:
    exhuming mcarthy, superman, begin the begin, end of the world, the one i love, fall on me... whats not to like about these albums.. classics.
    This is very true! I can't stop listening to REM.

In the past few days i've been listening to Accelerate, Reveal (which I seem to have found a new appreciation for), Document, Life's Rich Pageant, Fables Of The Reconstruction, Automatic For The People, Murmur, Reckoning...

I think i'm addicted.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
    audiodave wrote:
    This is very true! I can't stop listening to REM.

In the past few days i've been listening to Accelerate, Reveal (which I seem to have found a new appreciation for), Document, Life's Rich Pageant, Fables Of The Reconstruction, Automatic For The People, Murmur, Reckoning...

I think i'm addicted.

I love ignoreland on automatic and all the early stuff is gold... I prefer early R.E.M. but a few songs on Reveal are great including I've Been High. I have to say that I'm addicted also especially since they announced a tour and released an new album.

Zoso wrote:
    I love ignoreland on automatic and all the early stuff is gold... I prefer early R.E.M. but a few songs on Reveal are great including I've Been High. I have to say that I'm addicted also especially since they announced a tour and released an new album.
    I've ignored Reveal for years. I bought it on it's release and didn't really like it. But i've listened to it a few times recently and love it. It's very un-REM though, as is Up, but I adore both albums.

Early REM is fantastic. I'm so glad they seem to be playing some songs from their early days. I can't believe they've been playing Gardening At Night! If they play Life And How To Live It when I see them...i'll be very happy indeed. :)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

There seems to be a distinct lack of love for New Adventures in Hi-Fi in this thread?

Am I the only one who thinks it's the band's finest record to date?
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    There seems to be a distinct lack of love for New Adventures in Hi-Fi in this thread?

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    There seems to be a distinct lack of love for New Adventures here.

Am I the only one who thinks it's their finest record to date?

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
    There seems to be a distinct lack of love for New Adventures here.

Am I the only one who thinks it's their finest record to date?
    You didn't have to make your point three time. :p

I think that New Adventures is one of their finest records to date, and gets a lot of love around these parts, and for that reason i'm trying to emphasise the other REM albums I love. I've probably listened to New Adventures as much if not more than any other REM album. It truly is a masterpiece, and I think you'll find there are a LOT of fans of that record here. It's just so good...we don't NEED to talk about it. :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

New Adventures is also one of my fav REM albums actually one ofmy favs of all time... E-Bow, Leave, Wake-up bomb and you gotta enjoy new test leper.... wow what an album it's perfect R.E.M. and I think it captures them are at their best...

I love patti smith's voclas on e-bow!

• ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    Going to Twickenham with Audiodave, || Release Me || and Chime on 30th August.

Is playing my whole top 5 too much to ask? :D
    Crossing my fingers so they at least play WTFK? and So Fast, So Numb... surely that isn't too much... is it?!
    I'd really like to see Lotus and Mr Richards from my top 5 but I don't think there's much chance of that tbh :(
    Wake Up Bomb would be awesome to hear and Sing for the Submarine would be great... if only keep Ross happy ;)
    From the new album (well, the one's that are most likely) i'd love to see Man Sized Wreath and Living Well is the Best Revenge. The new album is incredible and I think it'll be well recieved by the crowds. I was only joking about SS being a crowd pleaser ;)

You forgot Inside|The|Well (Naomi) :)
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• pipedreamspipedreams Posts: 99
    Noisy cats are we
    PJ Cincy 00, Lex 03, Columbus 03, Hershey 03, Benaroya 03, Boston 9/28/04, Toledo 04, Grand Rapids 04, St.L 04, Asheville 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Hamilton 05, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Philly 05, Chicago I & II 06, Cincy 06, Las Vegas 06, SD 06, EV LA2 08, Columbia 08, Camden I & II 08
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    seeing the boys this evening......anyone know what time rem comes on stage? not really interested in the openers :o
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585

Me too.

REM, in my opinion, has more "perfect" albums than any other band. Perfect as in, I love every song and I never want to skip even one.

The ones that I never skip any songs...

New Adventures in Hi Fi (my favorite, hands down)
    Automatic for the People
    Reveal
    Out of Time
    Reconstruction of the Fables
    Document
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • I get to see them for the first time ever next Sunday night and I'm soooo excited! I love Accelerate, much more than I have any of their past few albums, which makes the anticipation even greater. I can't wait for this!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    cutback wrote:
    seeing the boys this evening......anyone know what time rem comes on stage? not really interested in the openers :o

8:55

Last one in the pool is a rotten egg!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408

I love that album because they played a lot of it on the Monster tour before it was released, so it brings back great memories!
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    8:55

Last one in the pool is a rotten egg!

ha! i just saw your post over at murmurs.com :)

do you know if the shuttles from the external parking lots run constantly? on the bowl website it says "The last bus departs each lot at concert time."

do you think that means the headliner or when the show starts? :)
    cutback wrote:
    ha! i just saw your post over at murmurs.com :)

do you know if the shuttles from the external parking lots run constantly? on the bowl website it says "The last bus departs each lot at concert time."

do you think that means the headliner or when the show starts? :)

nevermind....i just called and the shuttles stop at 6:30 :(
    Me too.

REM, in my opinion, has more "perfect" albums than any other band. Perfect as in, I love every song and I never want to skip even one.

The ones that I never skip any songs...

New Adventures in Hi Fi (my favorite, hands down)
    Automatic for the People
    Reveal
    Out of Time
    Reconstruction of the Fables
    Document

I'd add pagent and accelerate in there also but nice list agree hands down.

• AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,204
    cutback wrote:

dude, if you haven't seen The National, seriously check them out. I didn't like them until I saw them live.

Fuck Modest Mouse, though.
    cutback wrote:

setlist would be awesome?

Zoso wrote:
    setlist would be awesome?

would it now? :p:D

wow....loss for words....why haven't i seen them live before now!! :mad:

here's the setlist from murmurs.com.....:)

Pretty Persuasion
    Living Well
    Kenneth
    Sitting still
    Ignoreland - loved this
    Man Sized Wreath
    Circus Envy
    Drive
    Accelerate
    Hollow Man
    FALL ON ME (Peter's request)
    Houston
    Electrolite - dedicated to los angeles
    Final Straw
    I've Been High (beautiful)
    Let Me in
    Losing My Religion
    Horse to water
    Bad Day
    Walk Unafraid
    DJ
    Supernatural
    One I love
    Until the Day
    MOTM

(alternate encores listed on set list NOT played: Orange Crush, Secong Guessing and Imatation of Life)

the accelerate songs were GREAT!!! michael is one rocks best front men

:D
    cutback wrote:
    would it now? :p:D

wow....loss for words....why haven't i seen them live before now!! :mad:

here's the setlist from murmurs.com.....:)

Pretty Persuasion
    Living Well
    Kenneth
    Sitting still
    Ignoreland - loved this
    Man Sized Wreath
    Circus Envy
    Drive
    Accelerate
    Hollow Man
    FALL ON ME (Peter's request)
    Houston
    Electrolite - dedicated to los angeles
    Final Straw
    I've Been High (beautiful)
    Let Me in
    Losing My Religion
    Horse to water
    Bad Day
    Walk Unafraid
    DJ
    Supernatural
    One I love
    Until the Day
    MOTM

(alternate encores listed on set list NOT played: Orange Crush, Secong Guessing and Imatation of Life)

the accelerate songs were GREAT!!! michael is one rocks best front men

:D

I like pretty persuassion as an opener and circus envy. wow. nice.. cant wait to see what they bring out in philly.

• magikevmagikev Posts: 296
    Just got back from the show. It was phenomenal, besides the sound at the beginning. You could barely hear the vocals when the band came out, and once that was adjusted, it was still the quietest show I'd ever heard. It was a good 6 or 7 songs until the levels all sounded right. Great setlist though. Just wish we could have heard Country Feedback like the other night.
    audiodave wrote:
    You didn't have to make your point three time. :p

I think that New Adventures is one of their finest records to date, and gets a lot of love around these parts, and for that reason i'm trying to emphasise the other REM albums I love. I've probably listened to New Adventures as much if not more than any other REM album. It truly is a masterpiece, and I think you'll find there are a LOT of fans of that record here. It's just so good...we don't NEED to talk about it. :D

It's this damn board....it always crashes on me at 12.20 every single day!!

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • ooo...you know Audiodave? He's a dangerous man to know!

Only kidding, he's a good guy :)

He is a good guy... He's my boyfriend :p
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.