Options

Lets end the Kings of Leon comparison!!!

CG49089CG49089 Posts: 110
edited June 2009 in The Porch
Checking out a couple posts on the new song, I came across people (maybe its just one or two people, but it seems like more) comparing the song on Conan to a Kings of Leon song. Actually, they said "KOL"... and I thought is was some indie band I had never heard... but when I realized it was Kings of Leon... I was like are you serious?

I think I read in Rollingstone magazine a few months ago that one of the tracks on the new album wouldn't be out of place on a Kings of Leon album... which I thought was good news because the Kings of Leon songs that I've heard tend to have melodic hooks... and it would be great to see PJ do some more "radio-friendly" songs. But I doubt that the writer at RollingStone was referring to this song "get some".

Nevermind the not terribly unlikely possibility that Kings of Leon was influenced by PearlJam... I don't think it would be terribly out of bounds to say that the Kings of Leon singer has a delivery that is reminiscent (I'm not accusing him of copying or anything) of Eddie's delivery... in which case it would then be a bit strange to say that PJ sounds like Kings of Leon. Which is possibly why I like Kings of Leon.

Again, I like Kings of Leon, I actually bought there last album.. but on hearing the song on Conan... at no time did that comparison ever come close to entering my brain... and I honestly don't think most people would hear any similarity... it seems to me more likely that some people read the same comparison that I did in RollingStone and so then decided that this song on Conan sounded like a "KOL" song.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dislocateddislocated Posts: 599
    CG49089 wrote:
    Checking out a couple posts on the new song, I came across people (maybe its just one or two people, but it seems like more) comparing the song on Conan to a Kings of Leon song. Actually, they said "KOL"... and I thought is was some indie band I had never heard... but when I realized it was Kings of Leon... I was like are you serious?

I think I read in Rollingstone magazine a few months ago that one of the tracks on the new album wouldn't be out of place on a Kings of Leon album... which I thought was good news because the Kings of Leon songs that I've heard tend to have melodic hooks... and it would be great to see PJ do some more "radio-friendly" songs. But I doubt that the writer at RollingStone was referring to this song "get some".

Nevermind the not terribly unlikely possibility that Kings of Leon was influenced by PearlJam... I don't think it would be terribly out of bounds to say that the Kings of Leon singer has a delivery that is reminiscent (I'm not accusing him of copying or anything) of Eddie's delivery... in which case it would then be a bit strange to say that PJ sounds like Kings of Leon. Which is possibly why I like Kings of Leon.

Again, I like Kings of Leon, I actually bought there last album.. but on hearing the song on Conan... at no time did that comparison ever come close to entering my brain... and I honestly don't think most people would hear any similarity... it seems to me more likely that some people read the same comparison that I did in RollingStone and so then decided that this song on Conan sounded like a "KOL" song.

+1
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,170
    I've been listening to KOL's latest album a lot lately...I didn't think this song sounded like them at all.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    I really don't like the Kings of Leon any more. Their first few albums were ok but their current one is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OVERPLAYED! Everysingle track. If I was PJ and someone compared me to the Kings of Leon I would take legal action!
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    nothing like a KOL song and thankgod.. the end!
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    NoOne'sRivalNoOne'sRival Posts: 299
    Zoso wrote:
    nothing like a KOL song and thankgod.. the end!

Ditto
    "Dream the dream others then...you will be no one's RIVAL!"
    "Doo do do do doo do doo, Doo do do do doo do doo..."
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    CG49089 wrote:

+1

Honestly, have people here LISTENED to KoL??? Go back if you haven't, there is a much fuller sound to "Get Some" compared to the old KoL albums, and the new KoL albums have a much more restrained sound as far as the rocking-ness of "Get Some". Stop the damn comparison, it's not there. At this point you are just looking for the comparison.
  • Options
    DrewRWxDrewRWx Posts: 71
    The gist I was getting was that the original poster was complaining that Pearl Jam was making a reach for mainstream success similar to what Kings of Leon supposedly did.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    RS didn't make the initial statement it was a PJ member referring to a Matt-penned tune.

If you can't hear KoL in the bass and Mike's guitar in the verse, YOU need to go listen to KoL. Add a real produced smooth sound to it and it doesn't sound too far from several of the tunes off their last couple albums.

I think it's as close to KoL as PJ could come.

Let it be stated by moi, that this is the KoL-esque tune on the new album. If I'm wrong, who care. Some people are takin the comparison the wrong way.
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    KOL = Over-rated, thanks to Only By The Night.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,910
    I've very familiar with both bands entire catalogs and the comparison amazes me. There is nothing similar and it's a pretty lauguable call
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    icemanap wrote:
    I really don't like the Kings of Leon any more. Their first few albums were ok but their current one is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OVERPLAYED! Everysingle track.

Step one - stop listening to corporate radio.

There are actually a few really good tracks on the new album, mostly, the ones that aren't over played ...
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    I've very familiar with both bands entire catalogs and the comparison amazes me. There is nothing similar and it's a pretty lauguable call

It amazes me that you don't hear it.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    sounds like a pearl jam song to me :lol::lol::lol:

to fast and rocky to be on one of KOL's last 2 albums, not country/southern enough to be on their first 2

and if it did sound like a KOL song, so what!!!! PJ have made a habit of wearing their influences on their sleeves, so why stop now :lol:
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options

to fast and rocky to be on one of KOL's last 2 albums, not country/southern enough to be on their first 2

and if it did sound like a KOL song, so what!!!! PJ have made a habit of wearing their influences on their sleeves, so why stop now :lol:

It's not that I would mind so much if a Pearl Jam song sounded like a Kings of Leon song...I would hope I would be objective and honest enough to admit it if the song sounded like KOL... my point was that this song does not.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,905
    it sounds absolutely fuck all like a KOL song. The whole notion it is bizarre.

Why oh why do we need to start comparing a new song to everyone and everything? cant it just be a new song, which to me it is, it sounds fresh and loads of punch. Its new Pearl Jam. fact.
  • Options
    I'd almost guarantee when the album comes out, that I'll be able to come back to this thread and say that Get Some is the most KoL sounding song on the album.

That is all.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,905
    DewieCox wrote:
    I'd almost guarantee when the album comes out, that I'll be able to come back to this thread and say that Get Some is the most KoL sounding song on the album.

That is all.

i'm extremely confident you are totally wrong on that, like it'll bear no resemblance at all.
  • Options
    CG49089 wrote:

It's not that I would mind so much if a Pearl Jam song sounded like a Kings of Leon song...I would hope I would be objective and honest enough to admit it if the song sounded like KOL... my point was that this song does not.

and i was agreeing with you... look at the first line of my post 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,

• Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    jimed14 wrote:
    icemanap wrote:
    I really don't like the Kings of Leon any more. Their first few albums were ok but their current one is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OVERPLAYED! Everysingle track.

Step one - stop listening to corporate radio.

There are actually a few really good tracks on the new album, mostly, the ones that aren't over played ...

Where I worked they played the same radio stations every day unfortunately - in the UK we don't get a great choice apart from perhaps BBC 6Music. Hearing the same 4 KOL songs every 45 minutes wound me up - would do for any band to be honest. I am sure there's other better songs on the album, for that they can be no doubt. I really liked their old stuff, they sounded fresh and different. But any bands who are overplayed for me it's a turn off.
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    BD122845BD122845 Posts: 43
    KOL can't be compared to PJ. KOL is a trick. They are being promoted by Bono! I was forced to see them open up for U2 8 times, one time opening up for Pearl Jam in VA Beach last summer and worked their show recently. KOL is a band for 10 to 20 year old bobbers. They are the next Jonas Brothers. The only 2 good musicians in KOL are the bass player and drummer. The guitarist and lead singer suck! Plus they are not big enough and have no right to kick out stage/deck hands out of the building right before their performance until the end of the show. They have had success for like 6 months and have only 2 hits. :lol:
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    The only comparison I see at all is that both bands have written instant-classic, epic songs about loss....Cold Desert is in the same vein as Black....same vibe. that's about all I've got.
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    I don't understand these comparisons at all. AT ALL.
    I've been a fan of Kings of Leon since their 2nd album came out and am quite familiar with their entire catalogue. That being said, I have never ever made any musical connections between them and PJ. Can anyone point out some specific examples of what songs sound similar so that I may listen for them?
    Also, I have never read any articles/reviews that mention similarities between the two and I don't think I've been living under a rock. Could it be that many of the people on this board got into them through PJ so they hear their music in a specific context?
    Hmmmmm....
  • Options
    CG49089 wrote:

and i was agreeing with you... look at the first line of my post 8-)

cool, I like when people agree with me... alright then, carry on, carry on.
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:
    I don't understand these comparisons at all. AT ALL.
    I've been a fan of Kings of Leon since their 2nd album came out and am quite familiar with their entire catalogue. That being said, I have never ever made any musical connections between them and PJ. Can anyone point out some specific examples of what songs sound similar so that I may listen for them?
    Also, I have never read any articles/reviews that mention similarities between the two and I don't think I've been living under a rock. Could it be that many of the people on this board got into them through PJ so they hear their music in a specific context?
    Hmmmmm....

I agree that there s not much of a connection, but there was an article in RollingStone a few months ago that I saw... which I had honestly forgotten about until I saw people making the same comparison now... so my best guess is that they read the same article or something similar... someone said RollingStone was quoting a PJ member as making the comparison on the new material... which maybe it was but that's not the way I remember the article.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The message board here looks just like the KOL message board too.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    yea kings of leon are shit, sellout bollocks
  • Options
    CG49089 wrote:
    cool, I like when people agree with me... alright then, carry on, carry on.

8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,490
    there is nothin to compare,,pj is the greatest rock band in the WORLD
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”