Entire PJ Bootleg Catalog on an ipod?

mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Has anyone tried this? Is it even possible? I am starting to attempt it, but I didn't want to get to the end and find I couldn't fit that last song onto it...

Also, has anyone figured out how to organize music under folders under the artists name- obviously this is easy with playlists- but what about having, say every 2000 bootleg under a "2000" folder inside your Pearl Jam folder?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• when i first got my 30 gig ipod i filled it with pearl jam. it wasn't ever close to all of the bootlegs i have. currently i have about 2500 pearl jam songs on there. i would bet if you got a 160 gig one you could probably do it.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    OK, I'm up to #12 (2000). I can see this might take a bit...
  • only in mp3's

I have ALL the boots and the take up most of my 500 gig portable HD.
  • scottbirdscottbird Posts: 132
    It would depend on the bit rate you get the boots at, you will probably need the 160 gig will all the boots between 128k and 192k. I've always wanted to do that too.
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    That would not be fun.
    That would not be fun.

I can assure you- it's not. It is however my lot in life. I will forever encode pearl jam bootlegs to mp3s. Just as I finish 2003, the 2008 tour will start...
  • wouldn't that be a bit redundant?
    buy the ticket, take the ride.

10.08.00, 12.08.02, 06.16.03, 06.18.03, 06.21.03, 06.22.03, 10.02.04, 10.05.04, 07.15.06, 07.16.06
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Not possible.
  • -> ipod classic 160gb
    -> AAC
    1996: Zürich - 2000: Zürich - 2006: Marseille, Paris & Berne
    wouldn't that be a bit redundant?

Yes. However, my main thinking is backup/saftety and quick access to live material. Actually, no one has said much about the second part of my question. I can't seem to find a way to make folders under an artist. Lets say I wanted a folder just for 2000 boots etc., but since I don't ostensibly need every boot ever with me on even my longest trips, it would be nice if I could just shut off certain folders and only sync say the 2003 tour...

Anyone know of a way to do this?
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    I have 205 PJ concerts on my Ipod, plus all the studio and rare stuff. All and all, it amounts to 6,040 songs and eats up 36.37 GBs of space.

I have an 80 gig classic, but with all my other music I couldn't get much more on it. It could possibly be done on a 160 gig.

I don't want to count up how many PJ concerts there are, but considering Even Flow has been play 608 times (plus add 10% for the rare shows they skip it) and they have approximately 670 concerts.

You would need approx 115 gigs. Good Luck.
    mdgsolo wrote:
    Yes. However, my main thinking is backup/saftety and quick access to live material. Actually, no one has said much about the second part of my question. I can't seem to find a way to make folders under an artist. Lets say I wanted a folder just for 2000 boots etc., but since I don't ostensibly need every boot ever with me on even my longest trips, it would be nice if I could just shut off certain folders and only sync say the 2003 tour...

Yes, I am quoting myself but I'm curious- has anyone figured out the file management part of my question? see quote...
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    How long will it take to get all of these show's encoded to ipod style?

http://db.etree.org/demetriosns

I have them all backed up on CDR, DVDR & now HD. First I would have to extract all the SHN/Flac files to wav, then convert them all to Ipod format. Mama Mia!!!
  • mdgsolo wrote:
    Yes, I am quoting myself but I'm curious- has anyone figured out the file management part of my question? see quote...

I had the same problem so what here's what I do. I have all the 00 boots a ton of the 03 and a lot of the 06 boots. So, on Itunes I just change the artist to Pearl Jam 2000 and the Pearl Jam 2003, etc. So when you are on your ipod it's easy to get to those years. Just a suggestion, it works great for me.
  • mdgsolo wrote:

ive thought about that too, and i think a more simple solution would be to take like all 2000 shows and relabel the artist "Pearl Jam Live 2000". this is very easy to do through itunes. i cant think of an easier way, at least not right now, im on like 2 hours sleep.
    mdgsolo wrote:

Easy

In iTunes, modify the settings of your iPod to only sync to Playlists and Top Rated Songs (i assume your ipod is under 16 gig).

Then, create a playlist called "2000 PJ Boots" - Just drag all the 2000 boots into the folder. Presto

For organizing concerts in my ipod, I tend to lable them in the same way so they are listed in chronological order. For instance:

"2006 (07/06) - San Diego, CA (Cox Areana)"
    "2006 (07/22) - George, WA (The Gorge)"
    "2007 (08/02) - Chicago, IL (The Vic)"

You can rename your concerts pretty easy by selecting all the songs in a particular concert, right click and select "Get Info". Then, just rename the "Album", click OK and they will be renamed.

(Note: if you ripped from CD's and a concert is named "San Diego 7-6-06 (Disk 1)" and "San Diego 7-6-06 (Disk 2)", before renaming all the songs to the same album name, be sure to select each concert seperately and right click > "Get Info" > "Disk 1 of 2" [for disk 1]. Repeat for disk 2 "Disk 2 of 2". Otherwise, the two halves will mix together because disk 1 will have a "track 1" and the same for disk 2. If this doesn't make sense, go drink one (1) beer, wait five minutes, and retry. Keep repeating until results appear.)
    Great info! The last couple of posts were super helpful with the file management stuff. One more question though- I get the syncing to playlists and renaming the artist to Pearl jam 2000 et al, but what if your ipod doesn't have enough capacity for all the music together, can you un-select a playlist or lists so that they are still stored on your harddrive, but not necessarily downloaded onto the pod? And, if you have a playlist called "everything else" or something, can you shuffle all playlists so that you get some PJ along with the rest of the music on the pod?

Thanks!
    mdgsolo wrote:
    Great info! The last couple of posts were super helpful with the file management stuff. One more question though- I get the syncing to playlists and renaming the artist to Pearl jam 2000 et al, but what if your ipod doesn't have enough capacity for all the music together, can you un-select a playlist or lists so that they are still stored on your harddrive, but not necessarily downloaded onto the pod? And, if you have a playlist called "everything else" or something, can you shuffle all playlists so that you get some PJ along with the rest of the music on the pod?

Thanks!

I think you can pick and choose playlists. If you want to delete the songs, just click on the iPod icon and select the item you want to delete. It will not delete items off of your hard drive (if you accidently do it, you can recover the items from your recycle bin.

As for shuffling, it's best to experiment. I actually don't know a whole lot about ipods, but I've been importing my CD's over for the last month so I'm learning small tricks. If you take the time to rate your songs, just pick the "top rated songs" playlist. It will copy all of the songs that have 4 or 5 stars. This is mainly what I listen to because I'm sure to like any song.

Have fun.