Options

Ed's voice

124»

Comments

• Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    edited May 2009
    Gonzo1977 wrote:
    I love all the none singers and musicians on here critiquing Ed's singing technique.

I always notice these people are the most critical as well.

They have no idea how to do it. They don't even know the right WORDS to describe what they're talking about. Yet, they feel free to tell Ed how to do it better.
    Post edited by justam on
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Listen to Live on Two Legs vs. any '08 bootleg and you'll hear a MAJOR difference.

Well, shit. Each track on LOL was hand-selected as the best of the best. If Ed didn't sound just right, they wouldn't put it on the record.

Each '08 bootleg is warts and all. There are some moments on various '98 boots when you're thinking "WTF, Ed?" I know, because I have them.

All in all, this comparison is epic, unmitigated fail.

I guess I wasn't too clear. My argument is contained within the quality of his voice not in the quality of the songs executed by the band as a whole.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Well I may not be a singer, but I play 5 instruments...so if that negates me from "criticism" then disregard my comments.

All I wanted to know is why...all of a sudden...does he sing a song a certain way and if people prefer it or the other way...?

That's ok, because I caught flak in another thread when I questioned Mike's solo technique of late...particularly the one sustained note, over and over.

Oooooh well!
  • Options
    cippociappocippociappo Posts: 692
    I don't think I need to be a musician to be able to judge someone's singing.
    Here the point is not if the singing (or guitar riff, or whatever) is hard or not to perform, the point is if people like it or not, and guess what, each person has his/her own personal taste.

e.g. the chef might prepare the most elaborate stuff ever, but if I don't like the taste... I just don't like it, period. I have a taste for food that is personal and does not have anything to do with "how hard it was to make that food". Of course, the harder the task, the easier to screw up, the more excused you are.

Ok, after all of this, my opinion on Eddie: he's always been great, I loved it before, I love him now!!!! 8-):D
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    my thoughts on this...........

1) Ed's voice has held up damn good for almost 20 years on constant touring. We should all be very happy w/ the way he performs, and I think most of us are.

2) As with every year/tour, I think some songs have an "on" year........some songs have an "off" year. I think Why Go is a great example.......I would take the 2008 version in a second versus the 2000, 2003 versions.......

3) I agee with the comments on the falsetto.....it is a bit overdone on some songs. At the shows I don't notice at all,but the boots make it easier to hear. I wish he would just pull it back a little bit, but it doesn't ruin anything for me. I think its partly how the songs have evolved overtime.

4) My main beef is him pulling on/off of the mic.........this makes him sound spotty sometimes, even though he is still nailing the song. With all of the extra moving/dancing these day, this has become a habit.
  • Options
    Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,319
    Ed Grimley, maybe
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    Listen to Live on Two Legs vs. any '08 bootleg and you'll hear a MAJOR difference.

Well, shit. Each track on LOL was hand-selected as the best of the best. If Ed didn't sound just right, they wouldn't put it on the record.

Each '08 bootleg is warts and all. There are some moments on various '98 boots when you're thinking "WTF, Ed?" I know, because I have them.

All in all, this comparison is epic, unmitigated fail.

I guess I wasn't too clear. My argument is contained within the quality of his voice not in the quality of the songs executed by the band as a whole.

Right. And my entire response was about Ed's voice as well, not the band. If there were versions of those song's on which Ed's voice sounded like shit -- and there WERE such versions in '98 -- they wouldn't have been included on LOL.

Just the fact that he sounds "better" on LOL than the worst versions of songs from '08 proves absolutely nothing.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    crashing88crashing88 Posts: 203
    I think a lot of it is just him being winded. And I don't necessarily mean the smoking, though that undoubtedly doesn't help. But listen to how fast they play Corduroy, Even Flow, g2f, etc. these days. the band races through the songs and he has to race to keep up, which I'm sure is exhausting and means his delivery is rushed. When they take time to let the songs breathe and groove at their natural pace, like they did at Benaroya, he's better than ever before. But the rest of the time, he IS kinda hit and miss. I don't think it's all his fault.

Yes I agree with this. They've been blazing through songs ever since the Binaural tour. This gets him winded so he's singing more with his throat than his stomach; less power. I used to think he sounded the best on the Yield tour, that's when Matt just joined and they weren't playing at a super fast tempo. I've been screaming along to PJ for about 14 years now, almost everyday. I'm not great by any means but I've kinda come to understand how Ed sings. But I think he's done great at not totally wrecking his voice, I mean he's gotta take it easy or it'll happen. It nearly did on the No Code Tour. Good thing they took a break in '97.

So I guess that's just how he's going to sound for now on. Which ain't that bad :).

P.S. Thanks for wrecking my voice Ed!
  • Options
    I agree that they play songs waaaay too fast these days and I'm sure he gets winded, however even if you listen to those songs where he's just sitting on a stool (solo tour for example) he's not exactly winded and he inserts the ever prominent falsetto that he never really used to.

I dunno...
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    I agree that they play songs waaaay too fast these days and I'm sure he gets winded, however even if you listen to those songs where he's just sitting on a stool (solo tour for example) he's not exactly winded and he inserts the ever prominent falsetto that he never really used to.

I dunno...

Whatever Ed is doing on the solo tour, he needs to keep doing. It's the best he's sounded ... possibly ever.

EDIT: And I guess I don't know what "falsetto" is. I thought it was the "doo doo doos" on Black. And I'm not hearing that in any of these examples at all.
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    Ed is the best ever
    He can smoke all he wants
    as long as he keeps smoking weed as well, he'll be ok
    Drink your wine
    continue to stumble sideways headfirst into the monitors
    have a cigarette
    throw your wine
    and spit large gobs
    that's what I'm talking about!
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Does anybody know if he received singing lessons?
    Or is he just naturally gifted?
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    EDIT: And I guess I don't know what "falsetto" is. I thought it was the "doo doo doos" on Black. And I'm not hearing that in any of these examples at all.
    Ditto. Can anyone give a concrete example from a show I can look up? Or is it not "falsetto" and just some different style thing he does?
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    Ditto. Can anyone give a concrete example from a show I can look up? Or is it not "falsetto" and just some different style thing he does?

Think of a key on a piano or a pluck of a guitar string...or in this case singing a note as:

Now a falsetto is (more or less) playing or singing a note in a half key above (or below) that note and varying back and forth. So instead of the steady key/note ____________ it would "look" more like /\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\.
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    mca47 wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

Think of a key on a piano or a pluck of a guitar string...or in this case singing a note as:

Now a falsetto is (more or less) playing or singing a note in a half key above (or below) that note and varying back and forth. So instead of the steady key/note ____________ it would "look" more like /\/\/\/\\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\.
    Isn't that vibrato? Falsetto is more that "false" high pitched singing, like slightofjeff mentioned, "do do doo doo do do doo".
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    mca47 wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

Isn't that vibrato? Falsetto is more that "false" high pitched singing, like slightofjeff mentioned, "do do doo doo do do doo".[/quote]

Yeah, you're right. This is vibrato. Falsetto usually deals with the person no longer "singing" in their singing voice, and instead reaches a higher pitch with a different vocal technique.
  • Options
    mca47 wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

Yeah, I think that's "vibrato": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrato

Falsetto is "an artificially high voice" -- ie the doo doo doos in "Black" -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/falsetto

That's why I was having trouble following this thread.
  • Options
    mrshock13mrshock13 Posts: 472
    mca47 wrote:
    bazzer wrote:

Yeah, I think that's "vibrato": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibrato

Falsetto is "an artificially high voice" -- ie the doo doo doos in "Black" -- http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/falsetto

That's why I was having trouble following this thread.[/quote]

So you were confused by the apparent confusion of terms and concepts...hm....confusing.
  • Options
    mrshock13 wrote:
    So you were confused by the apparent confusion of terms and concepts...hm....confusing.

Yeah, people were commenting on Ed's rampant use of "falsetto," then providing links without any falsetto in them whatsoever.

You can see how it was difficult to figure out what people were talking about.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,075
    My main beef is him pulling on/off of the mic.........this makes him sound spotty sometimes, even though he is still nailing the song. With all of the extra moving/dancing these day, this has become a habit.

This disturbs me :) And that he holds back or growls through the new rocksongs instead of singing/Screaming them.

He still has a great voice. Listened to Tremor Christ from Torino 06 and I think it sounds great and with energy in the voice. Then listen to any new song and he sings them in different and more boring way.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    it was a little rough last night.
  • Options
    offigooffigo Posts: 81
    Last night he sounded tired or sick or something (swine flu??). His voice is still great!! His solo shows last year with Into the Wild stuff was unreal.
    "Really don't mind if you sit this one out.

My words but a whisper -- your deafness a SHOUT.
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think."
  • Options
    FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    mrshock13 wrote:
    lost my shit and exploded on her. I had to catch myself.

Why does this make me this of Borat?
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    his voice is beautiful- better than when he was younger- proof- ARC- milwaukee 08
    simply amazing- i hope to hear it again in 3 weeks (:
    maybe long nites this time around
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    his voice is beautiful- better than when he was younger- proof- ARC- milwaukee 08
    simply amazing- i hope to hear it again in 3 weeks (:
    maybe long nites this time around

ARC brought me to tears in the first chicago 08 show. there, i said it.
  • Options
    ok so we just got back from nashville2 and he was totally on. he was way better than we ever dreamed it to be!!
  • Options
    Black-12Black-12 Posts: 249
    IMO Ed has the best voice over any other male singer out there. :)
    I agree with Vedder Girl!!!!!!!! :D
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    mrshock13 wrote:
    Ok, so I gave one of my friend, who has never listened to pearl jam, their first 3 albums. After a few weeks, I asked her what she thought of them, and she said they were ok, but she hated the vocals. She said that she likes "smooth" vocals, and hearing that about eddie, I almost flipped out and lost my shit and exploded on her. I had to catch myself.
    Eddie just give me a call last night,,his voice is better yesterday,,and he do some practice extra for the all 4 european concert im going..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Vocal_fold_falsett_animated.gif
  • Options
    bump
This discussion has been closed.