Anyone ever had to deal with a bat?

Travels WithTravels With Posts: 580
edited July 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
One woke up my wife and I this morning at 4 AM flying circles around our bed. After getting it out I didn't think much of it. Now that I've read some things on line I'm almost convinced it was probably rabid and we were unknowingly bit. The health department said we probably need to be given a series of 5 shots just in case. Have any of you had the shots before? This has been a horrible day, I just keep having flashbacks of old yeller. :shock:
“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    One woke up my wife and I this morning at 4 AM flying circles around our bed. After getting it out I didn't think much of it. Now that I've read some things on line I'm almost convinced it was probably rabid and we were unknowingly bit. The health department said we probably need to be given a series of 5 shots just in case. Have any of you had the shots before? This has been a horrible day, I just keep having flashbacks of old yeller. :shock:

where do you live!?
  • jesus christ!! get the shots. ive heard they hurt like hell. but you gotta do what you gotta do.

hope you're alright
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Travels WithTravels With Posts: 580
    I BrisK I wrote:

where do you live!?

northern California
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    I live in college housing and I've had bats before.. they always seemed to show up when I was too drunk to know what to do with them... I digress.

The WORST was one night I came home from a party to find a bat flying in circles in my living room... so I ran like hell and locked myself in my bedroom figuring that the problem would resolve itself by morning.. Well, 10 minutes later I'm sitting on my bed and the sucker crawls under my door.

I mean, there was maybe an inch crack where the floor wasn't level and it crawled underneath. Obviously, I freak out and run out of the room and lock myself in the bathroom (because it seemed like the most obvious place to be safe)

Then I realized I left my cell phone and my computer in my room with the bat and no one else was home. When I finally had the courage to open the door to get my phone the thing was clinging to my window just squealing.. you know the horrible noise they make.

So I retreated to the bathroom where I called a male friend to come deal with it because I'm no feminist when it comes to the creepy crawlies. He caught it in a tupperware container and released it to the wild. (He screamed like a girl when he did it too.)

My roommate thought we should get the shots - but none of us did and we're all still here. I guess I like to live on the edge :lol:

Good luck! They're little shits!
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
    I live in college housing and I've had bats before.. they always seemed to show up when I was too drunk to know what to do with them... I digress.

The WORST was one night I came home from a party to find a bat flying in circles in my living room... so I ran like hell and locked myself in my bedroom figuring that the problem would resolve itself by morning.. Well, 10 minutes later I'm sitting on my bed and the sucker crawls under my door.

I mean, there was maybe an inch crack where the floor wasn't level and it crawled underneath. Obviously, I freak out and run out of the room and lock myself in the bathroom (because it seemed like the most obvious place to be safe)

Then I realized I left my cell phone and my computer in my room with the bat and no one else was home. When I finally had the courage to open the door to get my phone the thing was clinging to my window just squealing.. you know the horrible noise they make.

So I retreated to the bathroom where I called a male friend to come deal with it because I'm no feminist when it comes to the creepy crawlies. He caught it in a tupperware container and released it to the wild. (He screamed like a girl when he did it too.)

My roommate thought we should get the shots - but none of us did and we're all still here. I guess I like to live on the edge :lol:

I needed this email!! :lol: Great story. I can't believe it crawled UNDER your door! That probably would have made me scream like a girl -- my wife has totally made fun of my "dancing" around trying to stay clear of its path. And you're right. They are little shits.
  • I live in college housing and I've had bats before.. they always seemed to show up when I was too drunk to know what to do with them... I digress.

thank you. that was the greatest story i have ever read on here :lol:
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I thought this might be an ongoing thing, another raccoon thread....
    How do you think you might have been unwittingly bitten? Is the bite THAT light? weird.
    Hope you can get thru without the shots, I too have heard they're very painful.

That is SO awesome. I can just picture the little fucker squirmin back and forth trying to get thru, face lookin all like this: :twisted: (heeeeeeere's BATTY!)
    I'm not a violent person and practice catch and release even with flies....but if I saw that, I think i'd have ran over there and stomped on it as it came under.
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    Yikes - I just did a google search and read a little bit about bats and bites and rabies - and if I were in your position - I'd get the shots ASAP!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
    I thought this might be an ongoing thing, another raccoon thread....
    How do you think you might have been unwittingly bitten? Is the bite THAT light? weird.
    Hope you can get thru without the shots, I too have heard they're very painful.

That is SO awesome. I can just picture the little fucker squirmin back and forth trying to get thru, face lookin all like this: :twisted: (heeeeeeere's BATTY!)
    I'm not a violent person and practice catch and release even with flies....but if I saw that, I think i'd have ran over there and stomped on it as it came under.

Bat's bites are very light - I took a class in infectious disease ecology this last semester and we did a unit on rabies. If you're really concerned about it I would say call the health department near you and find out what the prevalence of rabies is in your area. The shots aren't as bad as they used to be (when you had to get like 12 in your gut...) but there are multiple shots that have to be gotten. They can just stick them in your arm now. And I hate to be a Debbie Downer... but in recorded history there is only one person who has ever survived rabies after the symptoms started to appear (about 2 months after the initial bite).

Oh man, "heeeeeeere's BATTY!" :lol: That is EXACTLY what it felt like! I swear that as long as I live I will never forget what it looked like to have that thing crawling under my door... just digging it's little claws into the carpet and pulling itself along. *shudders*
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
    Here's another bat story for you. :) This was actually at a different house too! It was our first night moving in and a couple of neighbors stopped by (on their way home from the bar) to welcome us to our new house. Of course we offered to give them the grand tour... showed them all the rooms and said "The basement is really sketchy, I don't think you want to see it."

Being boys, they insisted. So I walk them down to the basement.. and I'm on the steps behind them when all of a sudden a bat DIVE BOMBS my head! I mean it went right by my face!! I screamed and ran upstairs... shutting them in the basement. :lol: When I finally calm down and open the door to let them out... I see them, drunkenly dancing around the basement... one with his shirt off trying to parachute it over the bat (not a very effective strategy :? ) while the other has his baseball cap off swinging it around.

The one guy finally connected with his baseball cap and knocked it to the ground where him and his buddy both stared at it for a second... then stomped the shit out of it!! :shock: The one guy scooped it up with his hat and threw it out the back door...

The next day we went over to their house with a six-pack as a thank you. We handed them the beer and said "hey, thanks for taking care of the bat for us last night..."

Their response... "what bat?" :lol::lol::lol:

Here's another bat story for you. :) This was actually at a different house too! It was our first night moving in and a couple of neighbors stopped by (on their way home from the bar) to welcome us to our new house. Of course we offered to give them the grand tour... showed them all the rooms and said "The basement is really sketchy, I don't think you want to see it."

Being boys, they insisted. So I walk them down to the basement.. and I'm on the steps behind them when all of a sudden a bat DIVE BOMBS my head! I mean it went right by my face!! I screamed and ran upstairs... shutting them in the basement. :lol: When I finally calm down and open the door to let them out... I see them, drunkenly dancing around the basement... one with his shirt off trying to parachute it over the bat (not a very effective strategy :? ) while the other has his baseball cap off swinging it around.

The one guy finally connected with his baseball cap and knocked it to the ground where him and his buddy both stared at it for a second... then stomped the shit out of it!! :shock: The one guy scooped it up with his hat and threw it out the back door...

I totally needed these guys. They sound much more effective than me with my old kitchen broom. Perhaps if this happens again I'll take a break, pound a few beers, take a couple shots, and then go settle things with the bat!

The next day we went over to their house with a six-pack as a thank you. We handed them the beer and said "hey, thanks for taking care of the bat for us last night..."

dawng wrote:
    Yikes - I just did a google search and read a little bit about bats and bites and rabies - and if I were in your position - I'd get the shots ASAP!

NO KIDDING!! :o I had the same thought when I did my google search.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Here's another bat story for you. :)

you have TWO bat stories???

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    norm wrote:
    Here's another bat story for you. :)

you have TWO bat stories???

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well actually I have three.. but the other one is way anticlimactic compared to these two. :lol: Maybe I should have led with that...
    I told you that I live in shitty college housing! Bats are often the least of my problems! Ahh to be young and poor and have low standards for housing, eh?

Then there was the time that I brought laundry home to my parents over the holidays and I dumped out my basket and a mouse scurried away... :shock: Merry Christmas Mom! :lol:

Sooo... who wants to come visit? :D

• redmosquito10redmosquito10 Posts: 568
    ahh gotta love college housing, we had a bat in my house last year. i live with 5 other guys, and i'm by far the busiest/the one who is least often in the house. Well, one night I'm out at the bar with a few friends and I get a call from a roommate, saying there's a bat in the house, and he doesn't know what to do. I tell him to call another roommate, I've already been drinking for a while, only to find out that all 5 of them are at my house, sitting out in our back yard because they're afraid to deal with it. My friend convinced me the best thing to do would be take a couple of shots before going to deal with it, so we did, and I convinced him to come help me get rid of it. Flash forwards to 20 minutes later, when he, wearing a catcher's mask, chest protector, and armed with one of those giant orange wiffle ball bats, and I, in football helmet, shoulder pads, and armed with a hockey stick, enter the house. We walked in, walked around, couldn't find anything, and we're on the verge of convincing ourselves it was gone when it came flying down the stairs and drilled my friend right in the back of the head. We each took about 20 swings before realizing we wouldn't connect with the thing, grabbed a huge blanket, and basically cornered it until we could throw the blanket over it and take it outside. I still like to think of myself as a hero to my roommates, and clearly the man of the house
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
    Oh the blanket strategy is always effective.

College kids are the best at dealing with stuff like this.

PS: LOVE the catchers getup. I probably would have put one on if I had one! :lol:

• Here's another bat story for you. :) This was actually at a different house too! It was our first night moving in and a couple of neighbors stopped by (on their way home from the bar) to welcome us to our new house. Of course we offered to give them the grand tour... showed them all the rooms and said "The basement is really sketchy, I don't think you want to see it."

I had a very simular story, I was going down into the basement, concentrating on the steps because they are kind of steep and ricketty. When I get to the bottom I start to look up and see a bat flying right at me, so I take off my hat and start flailing wildly at it, manage to make contact, knocking it onto a pile of clothes that were waiting to go into the wash. so I throw a towel ( a white one of course) on him and look for something to smash him with. To my luck my wifes high heel boots were right there. so needless to say we don't use that towel anymore. :D

walk the bridges,.......before you burn them down
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Oh man, "heeeeeeere's BATTY!" :lol: That is EXACTLY what it felt like! I swear that as long as I live I will never forget what it looked like to have that thing crawling under my door... just digging it's little claws into the carpet and pulling itself along. *shudders*

Are Travels With and Captainwisejam the two guys from your second story or wtf? :? :lol:
    Why are people quoting your story without responding or even a :lol: ??
    funny stuff too, btw!...except it's a little disturbing to hear about something being stomped to shit :shock:
    ...and oh, do I have mouse stories. A few. I guess most people would, but this one's special.
    We got a couch back from storage that was INFESTED....somehow, none of us noticed anything out of the ordinary while moving it...we get it in the house, put it down and went for drinks...go back in the room, my sister sits down, and one runs across her lap.....she loses it, we look up, and there were DOZENS of mice crawling thruout the brick around our fireplace...it looked like it was moving. had to move out for a couple days while exterminators did their thing :shock:
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202

Why are you convinced it's rabid? I'm 99% sure you'd KNOW if you were bit. There'd be marks. You'd have woken up. Something. We get them in our house all the time. Only real problem is once they find a way in, they tend to return.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Great stories here! Bats are great but outside not inside. It is true that they do carry rabies, so shots are probably a good thing unless you have the bat to test. I'd definitely check with your doctor to see if necessary in your area though because the shots aren't easy. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."

Are Travels With and Captainwisejam the two guys from your second story or wtf? :? :lol:
    Why are people quoting your story without responding or even a :lol: ??
    funny stuff too, btw!...except it's a little disturbing to hear about something being stomped to shit :shock:
    ...and oh, do I have mouse stories. A few. I guess most people would, but this one's special.
    We got a couch back from storage that was INFESTED....somehow, none of us noticed anything out of the ordinary while moving it...we get it in the house, put it down and went for drinks...go back in the room, my sister sits down, and one runs across her lap.....she loses it, we look up, and there were DOZENS of mice crawling thruout the brick around our fireplace...it looked like it was moving. had to move out for a couple days while exterminators did their thing :shock:

I have no idea why people are quoting my story without commenting. One was a fluke.. but two now. Neil? Neil's roommate whose name escapes me? Is that you?

Ew. Mice. Plural.

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169

I totally needed these guys. They sound much more effective than me with my old kitchen broom. Perhaps if this happens again I'll take a break, pound a few beers, take a couple shots, and then go settle things with the bat!

"I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"

I had a very simular story, I was going down into the basement, concentrating on the steps because they are kind of steep and ricketty. When I get to the bottom I start to look up and see a bat flying right at me, so I take off my hat and start flailing wildly at it, manage to make contact, knocking it onto a pile of clothes that were waiting to go into the wash. so I throw a towel ( a white one of course) on him and look for something to smash him with. To my luck my wifes high heel boots were right there. so needless to say we don't use that towel anymore. :D

Ahhh good call. :)
    And yes. Liquid courage is essential when dealing with flying rats.
    High heeled shoes... not so sure.. :?

Man... how's we miss that twice? Thanks. :)

i always do that... so I knew where to look for the mistake :P

i always do that... so I knew where to look for the mistake :P

Good call. I tip my cap to you. 8-)

• Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876

OMG ! My wife would have had a fuckin heart attack !

I've only killed one with a tennis raquet when it got into a buddy of mines apartment and also i killed one with a shovel in my backyard right before my dog got near it !

Call me BATMAN Mother fuckers !! :?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    This thread is going to keep me awake all night! :shock:
  • jammergirljammergirl Posts: 599
    omg, this thread is hilarious! my bat story is pretty funny, i grew up on a ranch and we had bats in one of our barns. well, we noticed our cat started leaping around on the lawn one evening. we assumed she was jumping up to catch bugs or something. well, then she sauntered in the house, walked right up to my mom's feet and set a live bat down that she had caught! my mom was like "wtf...oh my god!!!" we all started screaming as the bat began dive-bombing us. luckily my dad grabbed a tennis racket and beat it, then threw it outside. this happened a few times that summer. :?
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,457

all i know is.....

if a fucking BAT crawled under the door and in to my bedroom.....

my girlfriend would be on her own.....

because i would LEAP right out the fucking window.....hehehehehehehehehe
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....