im thinking about taking a road trip this summer by myself.

Comments

• SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,434
    Cateeto wrote:
    If you have the free time/money, go for it! There are so many things you'll discover and learn from your journey... Besides, who else will be able to say they've dropped everything and done the same thing? It will be a great adventure for you.
    bullshit....

the kid is 16..........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
    Do it senor. That's all that needs to be said. If your parents are cool with it, and you're comfortable doing it and you have the means to do it, then you should. It'll be a bit liberating for you, not to mention, a nice getaway is always healthy.

I still road trip quite frequently up the CA coast. I'll never grow tired of it, until of course I'm too tired to do it. :P
    bullshit..........

the kid is 16..........
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Do what your name says, drop the leash and get out of my fucking face.

Just do it.
    bullshit.....

the kid is 16............
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    suggestions?

i suggest you get a little more experience under your belt before embarking on such a trip alone.
    common sense is great, but the limited time you have spent behind the wheel is concerning, honestly.

that's an ambitious undertaking for anyone your age. be safe.
    Nice shirt.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    scb wrote:
    i wouldnt let my 16 year old child take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves........in a million years....

and any parent that would let their child take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves.....needs to have their head examined.....

just my humble opinion.............

Yeah... I'll be curious to see whether they actually let him go.
    I tell ya....

i really dont care what kind or responses i get from my point of view............

but i cant believe how many people here think it is a GOOD IDEA for a 16 YEAR OLD CHILD to take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves......

sometimes i feel like i live on another planet..........

16 year old children who have had a drivers license for less than a year should not be allowed to take a 350 mile roadtrip (700 roundtrip???) by themselves.....

and any parent with any common sense realizes this...........

Yeah... I'm inclined to agree with you - although I do think there are plenty of factors to consider. I think I'd be more likely to let him go if he were super-mature, had been driving - and working - for a couple of years, was taking a safe route, and was going to meet up with his dying grandmother or something.

But I'm twice his age and just this year decided it was safe for me to take a road trip by MYself. (Granted, that does have a lot to do with me being a woman.) There are just so many thinkgs that could go wrong...

It could be a great experience though... I guess you just never know. But I'll tell you what... if they do let him go, even I'm going to be worried sick until he gets home safely. :oops:
    ive been on this board for 7 years.....

i have read a ton of NONSENSE over those 7 years.....

but some of the replies in this thread.....COULD BE THE BIGGEST PILE OF HORSESHIT I HAVE EVER READ ON THIS BOARD!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!

THE KID IS 16!!!!!!!!......

there is no.."if you are mature enough"

THE KID IS 16.....HE ISNT MATURE ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!

there is no..."this will be a good experience for you"...............

THE KID IS 16!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    to OP: have you ever done really long drives before,for hours on end? like say, a couple hundred miles? If you havent done it, fatigue is going to be an issue, whether you like it or not. You really need to consider it in your shoes. Also, having people with you would halp as (1) theyll keep you awake while driving and (2) you can do shifts. Just something to consider.

When i look back on myself at that age, i didnt take enough risks. They are the thing that help you mature & harden you up. But i wouldnt have done something like that if i wasnt experienced enough.

is there no equivalent of inter-railing in USA? (in europe, most teens/college students backpack around the continent,but they do it on trains & buses. rarely do people drive it. maybe europe suits that kind of thing more (more cultural changes more often, smaller countries, etc).

either way, be sure you dont crash, get mugged, raped, tortured, or busted for speeding or something stupid. all this shit can happen.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    Jordy, people don't go inter-railing when they're 16, they're usually at least 2 years older.

I find it hard to get my head around the fact that 16 year olds can even DRIVE in the States!

Speedy, chill a li'l :evil:
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,261
    Jennytree wrote:
    Jordy, people don't go inter-railing when they're 16, they're usually at least 2 years older.

I find it hard to get my head around the fact that 16 year olds can even DRIVE in the States!

Speedy, chill a li'l :evil:

I realise theyre older, i meant to say that. Theyre older, usually in groups, and not worrying about drink/drive/the other pressures of having a car. Its just that its the European version of American "road trips". I was just curious if anyone there does anythnig like that, even if its a minority.

Americans finish school & all that earlier too though. Different culture. Parts of europe are like that too to be fair.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    edited May 2009
    First of all, I don't think 16 year olds should be driving at all. I think 18 should be the legal driving age.

Aside from that, no way would I let my son (when he is 16) do that. Too young, not enough experience driving or in life in general. Not enough experience to know what to do in an emergency. Hell you can't even check into a hotel room, or use a credit card.

My fist road trip without my parents I was 18 and had my crew at the time with me, four of us. So whoever said roadtripping with your friends is more fun was right on.

All that being said, I wish I could take a long ass road trip by myself right now.
    Post edited by Flagg on
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    First of all, I don't think 16 year olds should be driving at all. I think 18 should be the legal driving age.

Aside from that, no way would I let my son (when he is 16) do that. Too young, not enough experience driving or in life in general. Not enough experience to know what to do in an emergency. Hell you can't even check into a hotel room, or use a credit card.

My fist road trip without my parents I was 18 and had my crew at the time with me, four of us. So whoever said roadtripping with your friends is more fun was right on.

All that being said, I wish I could take a lang ass road trip by myself right now.
    i was thinking the same thing...

where is the 16 year old going to stay once he gets 350 miles away????
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    dont let people scare you, i was a transient when i was 15, freeing of the mind is ALWAYS a good thing, lets you look at the world from a different point of view, lets you see things as they are AS A WHOLE, you will get plenty of inspiring words from complete strangers, but you cant let people instill their own fears into you, and driving is the easiest part of it, you can take your time and do whatever resting you may need,
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    dont let people scare you, i was a transient when i was 15, freeing of the mind is ALWAYS a good thing, lets you look at the world from a different point of view, lets you see things as they are AS A WHOLE, you will get plenty of inspiring words from complete strangers, but you cant let people instill their own fears into you, and driving is the easiest part of it, you can take your time and do whatever resting you may need,

Freeing your Mind ? At 16 ? I don't remember many problems in life at 16 where I had to free my mind..the only thing I worried about was when summer vacation started

I understand kids have pressures but come on...he's not taking a mind freeing trip to India to find himself..he's probably looking to get some bootay

I think 16 is way too young to be on your own and like another poster said 16 imo is too young to drive let alone by yourself for a roadtrip

Good points about the Hotel also..he can't even get a room if the car breaks down somewhere

There are too many sickos out there to take this trip by yourself
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    and again i say, u shouldnt pass ur fears on to him
    i dont think it is fear....

i look at it more as common sense...........
    common sense is a weak excuse for a fear

Exactly !

He asked for suggestions and comments and thats what we are doing

I think if my 16 year old came to me with this question I would definitely have to say NO

letting a 16 year old take a 350 mile roadtrip by himself....

is a weak excuse for being a good parent..............

Exactly !

He asked for suggestions and comments and thats what we are doing

I think if my 16 year old came to me with this question I would definitely have to say NO
    if my 16 year old asked to borrow my car so he could take a 350 mile roadtrip by himself.....

first i would laugh my ass off....
    then i would say NO....
    then i would tell him to go clean his room and take out the garbage.....
    then i would tell him to clean his room again because he probably just shoved everything under the bed.....
    then i would tell him to go finish his homework........

Its called looking out for your child and protecting them until they're an adult

So in your scenario of life you just let kids be kids and do what they want ?

• FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

Well, he asked for suggestions and now he is getting them from all sides. He can make his own mind up now.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    you can't teach experience. and the majority of 16 year olds simply don't have enough life experience
    to handle situations that may arise while traveling solo, they just don't.

it would be irresponsible of any parent to simply hand the car keys and a Shell card
    to a 16 year old child and tell them to 'be careful' and send them off on their way.
    Nice shirt.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    personally, i just don't think it's the wisest thing at such an age. i don't have children but i think it would be highly unlikely that if i did, mature or not, i would not allow it. probably not even with friends, but definitely not solo. but hey, if your parents ay it's OK....well then, obviously it's their call to make and they know you far better than any of us...so i wish you luck on your journey, enjoy it and keep safe!

make sure you have a good plan....GPS AND maps with your route.....check the car out thoroughly before embarking on your journey, make sure you have jumper cables, charged phone, recharges, water/snacks for you, etc... and just be smart about your choices. even as a male, you are young and solo....so do please be cautious, but surely...enjoy it all! :)

then again.....at age 16 my parents let me go on a road trip to live aid with my sister, then 21 - what a blast!.....and at 17, my HS graduation gift was a plane ticket to bermuda to visit my then BF, a decade older than me! :shock: hahaha....thinking back, it's amazing.....b/c i had the most conservative of parents, what were they thinking?! ;) hahaha. obviously they loved and trusted me. :) so yea...........it's all individual..........good luck!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    When I was 16.5 and just got my license, I had to convince my dad to let me drive to high school......3 miles away. 350 miles! He would have laughed at me then removed the spark plugs from my car.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,861
    Well , as I see it , we live in a different time now. Things happen sooooo much quicker. Both good and bad.

From what I've seen from DTL10 on HERE , seems like a pretty level headed young ADULT. Holds his own on here without showing his age.Unlike some others who are a tad bit older. His parents know him best. Certainly better than ANY of us do. So final say rests with them. And all who commented , thanks for letting us know how you would decide for your own kids.

OP was pretty vauge about purpose of trip , where he's staying , etc.... Just gonna roadtrip.

As for my opinion? Colby , research route , contingency plans in case , AAA AWESOME suggestion , costs you might expect. Service car BEFORE you leave (oil change and such). And SERIOUSLY stop as often as necessary . NO DRUGS on or in your person , certainly stay away from alcohol. NO hitchhikers. Cell phone to check in , use in case...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • supersonicyearssupersonicyears Posts: 2,619
    Maybe if you were 17 going on 18, had been driving awhile but 16???
    If you were going with an older friend maybe but 16 by yourself...............I say no not yet.
    I hate to be negative but I hope your parents decide not to let you go, at least not for now.
    Things have changed in this world a lot. There are too many things that can happen. You could have a great experience but....

why not have someone go with you?

If you do decide to go please let us all know when so we can all worry together and update us when you get back.
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    I used to make a 2 hour trek every weekend to Mass to see my "girlfriend" when I was turning 17. Half into the drive, there was a storm and a tree branch fell, bounced off my hood and cracked my windshield pretty bad. What did I do? yup, I kept on driving. Then to top it off , I stayed too late (sunday night) and her father offered me some money to fill up the gas tank. I said I should be all set, but thanks. I ran out of gas at 10pm about 7 miles from home with no gas stations nearby. I remember jogging most of the way and getting in t-r-o-u-b-l-e.
    ...hey, I was in love:)
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I
    i'm thinking this is the situation here :lol:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    I

You didnt know I was gonna drop it like that !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDC-CqvNpWs

• CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    I

You didnt know I was gonna drop it like that !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDC-CqvNpWs
    should i say.... I KNOW this is the situation here :P
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"