im thinking about taking a road trip this summer by myself.

Drop The Leash 10Drop The Leash 10 Posts: 7,011
edited October 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
im only 16 and an excellent driver. ill turn 17 in august. its about 338 miles away but i honestly think i can handle it if i avoid NYC. my parents are still up in air about it but im sure theyll let me go. idk im kind of nervous about it but i have enough common sense i think. you're thoughts? suggestions?
I will be what i could be
Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CateetoCateeto Posts: 377
    If you have the free time/money, go for it! There are so many things you'll discover and learn from your journey... Besides, who else will be able to say they've dropped everything and done the same thing? It will be a great adventure for you.
  • Indian SummerIndian Summer Posts: 2,296
    Road trips are much better when you have a crew with you.
    "It's all happening"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    im only 16 and an excellent driver. ill turn 17 in august. its about 338 miles away but i honestly think i can handle it if i avoid NYC. my parents are still up in air about it but im sure theyll let me go. idk im kind of nervous about it but i have enough common sense i think. you're thoughts? suggestions?

i did drives of that length and longer when i was your age...as long as you don't have your head up your ass you'll do fine :D
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    Hmmm where could you be going?! ;) hehe :lol:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • im putting aside a ton of money right now. the only problem is if my parents let me take a car.

• vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Where are you coming from? I'm in the NYC area- and making the same drive. If you are still nervous by then, I can lead you out of the city until you feel comfortable to go the rest of the way out there.
  • vduboise wrote:
    Where are you coming from? I'm in the NYC area- and making the same drive. If you are still nervous by then, I can lead you out of the city until you feel comfortable to go the rest of the way out there.
    im coming from north of boston. going down to the philly burbs. i think i can get a route on the gps that avoids all of it.

im coming from north of boston. going down to the philly burbs. i think i can get a route on the gps that avoids all of it.

I think you will be ok. Its like a straight shot on 95. You may (usually) have some traffic buildup when you hit the CrossBronx Expressway- and the George Washington Bridge- but when you get to the Jersey side, its usually smooth until the merge at exit 7.

Enjoy the road trip. Just leave earlier than you think.
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    Let me know of the exact dates, so I can inform my family to stay off the roads. :lol:
    vduboise wrote:

We drove from Philly to the Boston area numerous times a year and we never went though NYC. We took the jersey turnpike until NY, and were only in NY for a few minutes before CT. My dad used to say that the worst part of the drive was the 3 hours in CT, because it was 2 lanes each direction and everyone drove fast and recklessly.

I suggest he buck up and drive in Chicago.. I've never seen worse drivers.

We drove from Philly to the Boston area numerous times a year and we never went though NYC. We took the jersey turnpike until NY, and were only in NY for a few minutes before CT. My dad used to say that the worst part of the drive was the 3 hours in CT, because it was 2 lanes each direction and everyone drove fast and recklessly.

Yeah, you will only be in the Bronx for a short time- 45- min, depending on traffic- no need to go into Manhattan, unless you want to sight see. This is a really nice drive, don't stress on it. Just make sure you check the car out before you leave and don't forget the spear tire.
    vduboise wrote:

Yeah, you will only be in the Bronx for a short time- 45- min, depending on traffic- no need to go into Manhattan, unless you want to sight see. This is a really nice drive, don't stress on it. Just make sure you check the car out before you leave and don't forget the spear tire.

There is a route he can take where he never goes into the city at all. We never went near NYC when we went.
  • Do it senor. That's all that needs to be said. If your parents are cool with it, and you're comfortable doing it and you have the means to do it, then you should. It'll be a bit liberating for you, not to mention, a nice getaway is always healthy.

I still road trip quite frequently up the CA coast. I'll never grow tired of it, until of course I'm too tired to do it. :P
    Yeah, He can take 90-->84--->87--->to the turnpike. That totally avoids new york. But I've found going around NY takes longer than just the straight route of 95- but I could be wrong :D
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Do what your name says, drop the leash and get out of my fucking face.

Just do it.
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Would everyone be as encouraging if this was a girl taking this trip ?

Just curious

I don't know about the trip..when I was 16 I was not mature enough to do something like that

Shit happens it's not always a smooth trip..you can get lost even with a GPS

What's the furthest you've driven on your own ?
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    edited May 2009
    What everyone be as encouraging if this was a girl taking this trip ?

Just curious

I don't know about the trip..when I was 16 I was not mature enough to do something like that

if she is competent and mature enough why not :)

and you're still not mature enough :mrgreen:

don't use gps....getting lost is half the fun :lol:

la to canada and back
    Post edited by norm on
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    norm wrote:

Just curious

if she is competent and mature enough why not

and you're still not mature enough

don't use gps....getting lost is half the fun

la to canada and back

There is usually a double standard with guys and girls..I'm not a parent but I don't think I would let my 16 year old go on something like this without a friend

On a message board you can't determine if someone is mature enough obviously..but just going by age alone I wouldn't allow it

Plus, I hate long drives 8-)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    norm wrote:

Just curious

if she is competent and mature enough why not :D

and you're still not mature enough :mrgreen:

don't use gps....getting lost is half the fun :lol:

la to canada and back

There is usually a double standard with guys and girls..I'm not a parent but I don't think I would let my 16 year old go on something like this without a friend

On a message board you can't determine if someone is mature enough obviously..but just going by age alone I wouldn't allow it

Plus, I hate long drives 8-)

sorry i forgot smilies :oops:

dtl10 seems to me to be very mature for his age...at least from what i've gathered from here ;)
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    vduboise wrote:
    Yeah, He can take 90-->84--->87--->to the turnpike. That totally avoids new york. But I've found going around NY takes longer than just the straight route of 95- but I could be wrong :D

True. Although I think it's I-84 to I-81 in Wilkes Barre/Scranton. I have traveled this route many times as i am also from N of boston. I believe it is only about 50 miles or so longer but worth it to not pay all the tolls in NY/NJ.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    just dont drive tired!
    it is quite a hike
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    vduboise wrote:

take the scenic route thru the Berkshires, Catskills and Poconos. that would not be a bad little trip. you could spend the whole day doing that.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I did the same thing when I was your age and it was fantastic. Great memories, but it was a different time (this was in 1971) so be careful and be prepared. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    make sure you don't stay with any strangers! :lol:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • ArcticangelArcticangel Posts: 1,443
    Sounds like a fun adventure. :)
    I would take so many more road trips if I had a reliable car..
    PJ: St. Paul 6.16.2003, St. Paul 6.26.2006, St. Paul 6.27.2006, Hartford 6.27.2008, Mansfield 6.28.2008, Mansfield 6.30.2008, Beacon Theater 7.1.2008, Toronto 8.21.2009, Chicago 8.23.2009, Chicago 8.24.2009, Philly 10.30.2009, Philly 10.31.2009, Columbus 5.6.2010, Noblesville 5.7.2010

EV: Los Angeles 4.12.2008, Los Angeles 4.13.2008, Nashville 6.17.2009, Nashville 6.18.2009, Memphis 6.20.2009
  • redmosquito10redmosquito10 Posts: 568
    do it for sure, i've been taking road trips pretty often since I was 16, and have had just about everything imaginable happen to me other than getting in an accident (lost, car broken down, flat tire, etc.) and if I could go back I would still go on every single one of those trips. Just bring good music, drink with caffeine in it, some food depending how far youre going, and enjoy.
    "Ah, life is a gate, a way, a path to Paradise anyway, why not live for fun and joy and love or some sort of girl by a fireside, why not go to your desire and LAUGH..."
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    edited May 2009
    Just be sure you're prepared. Is your car reliable? Do you know how to change your own tire? Fix your windshield wipers? Jump your battery? Will your cell phone get service during your entire journey? Do you have AAA? Don't forget to bring the card with you. Don't ever try to drive when you're tired, distracted, or have been drinking. Do you have enough money or a credit card to deal with anything that goes wrong? Are you old enough to get a hotel room if you need it? Et cetera....

Have a great trip! :D

Edit to add: I think the issues with young people taking road trips alone have a lot to do with 1) their decision-making skills/judgement (e.g. are you going to have the good sense to pull over when you're tired) and, 2) their life experience (e.g. are you going to know how to handle it if a problem arises). Thankfully, you have some control over both of these areas.
    Post edited by _ on
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,434
    i wouldnt let my 16 year old child take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves........in a million years....

and any parent that would let their child take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves.....needs to have their head examined.....

just my humble opinion.............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    i wouldnt let my 16 year old child take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves........in a million years....

and any parent that would let their child take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves.....needs to have their head examined.....

Yeah... I'll be curious to see whether they actually let him go.
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,434
    scb wrote:

Yeah... I'll be curious to see whether they actually let him go.
    I tell ya....

i really dont care what kind or responses i get from my point of view............

but i cant believe how many people here think it is a GOOD IDEA for a 16 YEAR OLD CHILD to take a 350 mile roadtrip by themselves......

sometimes i feel like i live on another planet..........

16 year old children who have had a drivers license for less than a year should not be allowed to take a 350 mile roadtrip (700 roundtrip???) by themselves.....

and any parent with any common sense realizes this...........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....