Options

PJ trumps Green Day... :)

KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Just got on the Tonight Show website and I see GD plays on the second night....score. Conan must be a REAL fan.

Cool considering how huge GD is in the mainstream music circles...not slammin 'em though.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    4Powers204Powers20 Posts: 1,223
    or green day was busy. who cares, it is not a contest.

"We're running out of beer, too?" EV 6/19/08

• Options
    4Powers20 wrote:
    or green day was busy. who cares, it is not a contest.

Never said it was....chill out...I'm just pumped for the show and think its cool Conan picked PJ over allot of other available bands.
  • Options
    say_hisay_hi Posts: 311
    Does anyone think that The Late Show with Conan will attract more bands like PJ, who are reluctent to play on TV because Leno is not there? I mean PJ never played the Late Show with Leno and I am sure they have been offered the musical spot before, but they chose not too. I wonder how Leno feels about this.. on Conans first show he gets PJ and Leno was never able to get them. HA!
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • Options
    satanmansatanman Posts: 295
    is it just me or does GD's new single sound very similar to the intro of last exit. When i heard the intro I was pumped saying my god they are play last exit on the radio and then my dreams went crashing to the floor....
  • Options
    satanman wrote:
    is it just me or does GD's new single sound very similar to the intro of last exit. When i heard the intro I was pumped saying my god they are play last exit on the radio and then my dreams went crashing to the floor....

Wow...thats enough for me to consider buying GD's latest CD! :) Haven't really been into them allot since the 90s
  • Options
    Does anyone think that The Late Show with Conan will attract more bands like PJ, who are reluctent to play on TV because Leno is not there? I mean PJ never played the Late Show with Leno and I am sure they have been offered the musical spot before, but they chose not too. I wonder how Leno feels about this.. on Conans first show he gets PJ and Leno was never able to get them. HA!

Conan's tastes are obviously different than Lenos...it will be interesting to see how the guests,musically and other, compare...it seems (to me anyway), that the Late Show was geared towards an older audience, at least compared to Letterman as an example. That could change...
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    satanman wrote:

Nope, it's not just you. My husband and I thought the exact same thing and we heard the song at completely different times.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    Surf RiderSurf Rider Posts: 813
    Green dayis a very boring band.
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539
    Yes! A Green Day thread!

Green Day were my first "favourite band." They were my first concert (The Phoenix in 1997).
    As much as their last few album have sucked, Dookie still pumps me up to this day (You all know it's a great album).
    But as the thread title states; "PJ trumps Green Day."
    No shit.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Deebs41 wrote:
    Yes! A Green Day thread!

Green Day were my first "favourite band." They were my first concert (The Phoenix in 1997).
    As much as their last few album have sucked, Dookie still pumps me up to this day (You all know it's a great album).
    No shit.

and as much as people will try and say otherwise, green day will not make another album that matches Dookie :D
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    insomniac is one of my favorite albums (other than PJ ones) but there most recent two albums have been sub par for me i like the old punk rock feel
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    InMyTree4 wrote:
    insomniac is one of my favorite albums (other than PJ ones) but there most recent two albums have been sub par for me i like the old punk rock feel

Agreed, easily their second best. I like all of their albums until that point. "Brat" gives me morbid ideas though... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    i was OBSESSED with Green Day when I was 10, i think that was around the time American Idiot had come out. I used to play their cds over and over and sing along to the songs and I got all my other little 10 year old friends into them.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    Tangerine wrote:
    satanman wrote:

Nope, it's not just you. My husband and I thought the exact same thing and we heard the song at completely different times.

Me too. :P
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,861
    Deebs41 wrote:
    InMyTree4 wrote:

Agreed, easily their second best. I like all of their albums until that point. "Brat" gives me morbid ideas though... :mrgreen:

yeah, i would rate insomniac pretty hightly as well. above AI but only just
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,741
    Deebs41 wrote:
    Yes! A Green Day thread!

No shit.

You and me both, Green day were my first idol band too....Amercian Idiot was shit though, theres no getting away from that.
  • Options
    Fu ManchuFu Manchu Posts: 168
    PJ_kidd wrote:
    i was OBSESSED with Green Day when I was 10, i think that was around the time American Idiot had come out. I used to play their cds over and over and sing along to the songs and I got all my other little 10 year old friends into them.

:lol:
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Can never get sick of Dookie.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Kingmidget wrote:
    satanman wrote:

Wow...thats enough for me to consider buying GD's latest CD! :) Haven't really been into them allot since the 90s

Don't do it. It's pretty bad. I kept hearing it was as good as American Idiot. American Idiot is a masterpiece compared to the new one IMO.
    NERDS!
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    satanman wrote:

Don't do it. It's pretty bad. I kept hearing it was as good as American Idiot. American Idiot is a masterpiece compared to the new one IMO.

I'd also advise against it. IMO they haven't released anything in 10 years worth buying........

PS anyone interested in trading some PJ vinyl for my signed Tre Cool drum stick? :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Green Day stopped putting out interesting music after they released Insomniac everything after that is pretty pedestrian imo.

Everything else after that failed to pique my interest.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    Can't wait to see Pearl Jam on TONITE SHOW Monday!! NEW MUSIC FROM PEARL JAM!!!!

on another note ... was VERY lucky to see Green Day in NYC last week at Webster Hall, one of the small sweaty surprise club shows they've been doing ... very, very, HIGHLY AWESOME band and show ... suprises me a bit that Pearl Jam fans aren't more into them, especially after American Idiot, which I think is a masterpiece, and now this new record, 21st Century Breakdown ... it is a brilliant album (they BOTH are), and that goes for the music and the lyrics, very smart stuff ... punk rock for grown ups ... check out the dozens of youtube clips from this show and the one at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC for a good sampler.

...but, obviously, pearl jam rules the fucking day any way you slice it
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,741
    as a HUGE Green day fan back in the day American Idiot is just commercial shite, its listenable dont get me wrong but its lame nonetheless....they obviously saw the 'my chemical romance crowd' and wanted in on the money they saw....

Still I just bought the new one in the hope it might be better, from what I'm reading here its not, a continuation of American Idiot even....
  • Options
    spearhead wrote:

on another note ... was VERY lucky to see Green Day in NYC last week at Webster Hall, one of the small sweaty surprise club shows they've been doing ... very, very, HIGHLY AWESOME band and show

Wow, that's sweet. I have really had zero interest in them for the last few years but I glanced at the setlist from that show and saw that they played some pre-Dookie material that they rarely play. They played "80" for F's sake.
    spearhead wrote:
    suprises me a bit that Pearl Jam fans aren't more into them

I'm not surprised at all. Completely different style of music. I would think most PJ fans of a certain generation liked their early stuff bc it was more influenced by a lot of the same punk rock that PJ was influenced by. But their more recent efforts have strayed quite a bit from into a completely different genre.
  • Options
    spearheadspearhead Posts: 600
    YES ... they DID play 80!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th_CdGsHz3M

I see your point about PJ fans not being into Green Day ... I just find their stuff very hooky and I never get tired of that power punk pop stuff, and I like their bratty fuck you attitude too
    I was alone and far away when I heard the band start playing!

...I was always a DeadHead, but when I first heard Winston Rodney, aka the Burning Spear, sing, I became a SpearHead too!
  • Options
    not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    satanman wrote:

Thought the exact same thing as well.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,759
    This thread needs to meet this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=98428

Maybe there will be fisticuffs.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do