On which album is Ed's voice the best?

2»

Comments

• Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    TEN!
    'Release' still gives me shivers...Ten is way under-appreciated by people on here; rarely get's picked on these 'best of' posts...maybe everyone is sick of it....
  • mach271 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think Yield.

Brain of J and DTE have that Ed banshee screamin
    mellow Ed with Wishlist, Faithfull(some different Eds in this one)
    I dunno how to explain it, but the way he sings No Way is just spectacular

and I know I don't have a huge range, but the chorus to In Hiding is harder than hell to sing along with

As someone said earlier, it just has a bit of everything.

Someone mentioned Sleight of Hand earlier..... Ed is soooooooo powerful in the chorus. Sounds like he could blow through your chest. I think it has to do with the dynamics of the verse against the chorus.

Brain J was from VITALOGY sessions

The song Brain of J was from Vitalogy era, but the track on Yield was recorded during the Yield sessions, wasnt it?

And thats what the op is talking about, how Eds voice sounds during the recording of each album.

Regardless, my pick is Vitalogy!!! :D
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • vitalogy. if for no other reason because of nothingman.
  • RITFWinCORITFWinCO Posts: 217
    While I am most partial to Yield and No Code as albums (obviously loving them all), I got to agree with Vitalogy from the vocal standpoint. It peaked ever so slightly there. If you listen to VS it is very strong vocally too.

But when we talk of variation between the albums let's face it, Ten through Binaural are all vocally outstanding---almost splitting hairs. OnlY Riot Act is where I thought EV mumbled through the album and didn't push his vocals to his potential as he sings Riot Act songs live far better than on the album itself.
  • TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    I think probably 'Vs' but I keep wavering because it's hard to distinguish between 'best' voice and favourite songs.

On a related note, today my friend sent me an mp3 of the main vocal track for Alive. It's amazing to hear just Ed's voice without anything behind it. But whereas before, I never understood much about the 'Ten' reverb that everyone talks about...I certainly do now!
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 703
    VS
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    azwyldcats wrote:
    VS

Without a doubt.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    vitalogy. if for no other reason because of nothingman.

I find that interesting, as an example of his 'best' voice. I always wince a bit on 'She once believed'...just doesn't seem to hit it quite right and it sounds kinda strained
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    All of them haha...if I had to pluck out one it would be probably 'Vitalogy" :)
  • MdurbanMdurban Posts: 25
    Personally I have to give my vote to VS

TEN was a great introduction, but over produced, too many effects, and he was still learning his trade in terms of studio work.

VS was a perfect balance between his raw snarl and his more 'tuneful' later efforts.

And to hear them live when touring on the VS album was incredible, full of that early energy and yet without the limitations of having to pick out a set of tracks that would compliment the arena...they just played all they had with all they had :)
  • I'D RATHER BEI'D RATHER BE Posts: 551
    Ten

It's what got us into all these other albums in the first place!
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,277
    In your opinion.

I'll take any of the first 3 albums. So much power in his voice. So strong.

"ALWAYS, KEEP IT, LOOOOOAAAADED!"

On some of the later albums (No Code, Binaural, Riot Act) I really miss the rasp and grit in his voice he had on Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy. But then I'll listen to a song like Present Tense or Nothing As It Seems and really appreciate the softness and character in his voice.

I really love his voice on Yield as well. Songs like Given to Fly, In Hiding, and Faithful really showcase his talent.

What say you? O_o

yield!
    danny d
  • JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    THATS A NO BRAINER..........TEN WAS HIS BEST ...........YOU ARE ALLOWED TO CHANGE ON THIS LOL
  • QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Posts: 3,635
    Ten

It's what got us into all these other albums in the first place!

absolutely.

such passion, such anger. there is a certain rawness that is quite captivating.
    Nice shirt.
  • JP33JP33 Posts: 1,348
    Is that even a question?..........TEN.....Duh
  • HbudjrHbudjr Posts: 150
    JP33 wrote:
    Is that even a question?..........TEN.....Duh
    Winner!!!!!
    8/23/2009- Chicago- United Center
    5/6/2010- Columbus- Nationwide Arena
    6/26/2011- Detroit- Fox Theater- EV Solo
    9/22/2012- Atlanta- Piedmont Park
    10/11/2013- Pittsburgh - Consol Energy Center
    11/26/2013 - Oakland - Oracle Arena
    10/1/2014 - Cincinnati - US Bank Arena
    10/16/2014 - Detroit - Joe Lewis Arena
    4/26/2016 - Lexington - Rupp Arena (Hometown Show)
    8/20/2016 - Chicago - Wrigley Field
  • pkh43pkh43 Posts: 253
    Binaural.
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    VITALOGY!!!!

Last Exit, STBC, Not For You, Tremor Christ and Whipping for the pure unadulterated screeming power.

Corduroy, Nothingman, Satans Bed, Betterman and Immortality for the smooth richness.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • wnh1977wnh1977 Posts: 618
    I agree with some on this thread that Riot Act was his most disappointing vocal performance. I think I would like that whole album better if it was just made better. I feel studio albums should be about precision and songs like "Thumbing My Way" they bragged about it being one of the first couple takes.

How about No Code for "most versatile vocal performance"? Pensive songs like "Sometimes", "Off He Goes", "Present Tense, "Around the Bend"... I think he sounds great. The screamers like "Lukin" and "Habit" are not my favorite Ed, but I feel like he's able to execute them in '96.
    1998: 6/26, 6/27, 6/29
    2000: 8/15, 8/18, 10/9, 10/11, 10/12
    2003: 6/18, 6/21, 6/22
    2005: 9/9, 9/28
    2006: 5/16, 5/17, 6/26, 6/27
    2007: 8/5
    2009: 8/23, 8/24
    2010: 5/3, 5/4, 5/21
    2011: 9/3, 9/4, 9/11, 9/12
    2013: 7/19, 11/16
    2014: 10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 10/17
    2016: 4/16, 8/20, 8/22
    2018: 8/18, 8/20, 9/2
    2022: 9/18
    2023: 8/31, 9/2, 9/5
    2024: 5/18, 6/29
  • lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    well........TEN REDUX OFCOURSE!!! sounds amazing, yields second.
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Hub.Hub. Posts: 1,990
    Ten (or Ten Redux), no matter the mixing: in this (these) album(s), Ed had the best voice. :D
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam Posts: 139,548
    easy one...definitely Binaural
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”