On which album is Ed's voice the best?

PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
edited June 2009 in The Porch
In your opinion.

I'll take any of the first 3 albums. So much power in his voice. So strong.

"ALWAYS, KEEP IT, LOOOOOAAAADED!"

On some of the later albums (No Code, Binaural, Riot Act) I really miss the rasp and grit in his voice he had on Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy. But then I'll listen to a song like Present Tense or Nothing As It Seems and really appreciate the softness and character in his voice.

I really love his voice on Yield as well. Songs like Given to Fly, In Hiding, and Faithful really showcase his talent.

What say you? O_o
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• binaural
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • annenomiesannenomies Posts: 165
    Benaroya Hall is perfect
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,039
    no code
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    Sweet Relief
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Dissident67Dissident67 Posts: 568
    definitely binaural
    "Change don't come at once, it's a wave, building before it breaks"
  • Pearl JamesPearl James Posts: 420
    In your opinion.

On some of the later albums (No Code, Binaural, Riot Act) I really miss the rasp and grit in his voice he had on Ten, Vs., and Vitalogy. But then I'll listen to a song like Present Tense or Nothing As It Seems and really appreciate the softness and character in his voice.

I really love his voice on Yield as well. Songs like Given to Fly, In Hiding, and Faithful really showcase his talent.

What say you? O_o
    Its tough to have rasp and grit when you smoke cigarettes :(
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    In your opinion.

What say you? O_o
    Its tough to have rasp and grit when you smoke cigarettes :(

I would think that would "improve" the rasp and grit :?

Anyhow, it's definitely Binaural. Not my favorite album (that would be Yield...obviously :) ) but he is at his best on that album. NAIS and Sleight of Hand are two prime examples.
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    yield seems to be the perfect balance of vocal range, control, power, and maturity for me... hasnt dropped off drastically since then... but if i were to graph it all out yield is definitely the best IMO
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • bradbury14bradbury14 Posts: 21
    For me.... VITALOGY hands down. I sometimes find myself just paying attention just to Eddie . The intensity is unreal. I'm mean anyone can belt out some lyrics but can you really imagine another singer even coming close to his performance on that record. He sounds possesed. :twisted: Every note is extremely well punctuated. I'm going to go listen to Tremor Christ now.... maybe even Whipping and satan's bed and corduroy, prob the whole album
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Yield. Definately Yield.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    bradbury14 wrote:
    For me.... VITALOGY hands down. I sometimes find myself just paying attention just to Eddie . The intensity is unreal. I'm mean anyone can belt out some lyrics but can you really imagine another singer even coming close to his performance on that record. He sounds possesed. :twisted: Every note is extremely well punctuated. I'm going to go listen to Tremor Christ now.... maybe even Whipping and satan's bed and corduroy, prob the whole album
    I was going to say No Code until I read your post, and now I'm really unsure. He does sound like he's possessed on Vitalogy, and even though his voice is stronger and he has more control on No Code, the raw emotion of Vitalogy's vocals makes it too hard to decide.

This is why Pearl Jam is great.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    Just listening to Spin the Black Circle...God damn that man was a MONSTER on that record!

Vedder circa 91 - 94 = One of the best voices EVAR!

He should really ease up on the smoking and drinking.
  • mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    without a doubt, no braianer.........

VITALOGY
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    I think Yield.

Brain of J and DTE have that Ed banshee screamin
    mellow Ed with Wishlist, Faithfull(some different Eds in this one)
    I dunno how to explain it, but the way he sings No Way is just spectacular

and I know I don't have a huge range, but the chorus to In Hiding is harder than hell to sing along with

As someone said earlier, it just has a bit of everything.

Someone mentioned Sleight of Hand earlier..... Ed is soooooooo powerful in the chorus. Sounds like he could blow through your chest. I think it has to do with the dynamics of the verse against the chorus.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    VS
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    Ten
    No Code
    Binaural
    Avocado
    Riot Act

/end
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    VS
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    Ten
    No Code
    Binaural
    Avocado
    Riot Act

/end
    Id say that's a good list.

Once you...were in my....REEAAARVIEWMIRROOOOOORRR

So beastly
  • knowkodesknowkodes Posts: 119
    The best ...hard to say, but you got to love the rasp at the beginning of Dissident. Sounds like he was up all nite and completely out of it!
    * New Orleans-1995* Randall's Island-Sep 28,29 1996* Phoenix 1998* Las Vegas 1998* Los Angeles 1998* Blockbuster Center-Aug 28,29 1998* Continental Arena-1998* MSG- Sep 10,11 1998* Jones Beach -Aug 23,24,25 2000* E-Centre 2000* Nassau Coliseum 2003* Tweeter Center 2003* MSG-Jul 08,09 2003* PNC 2003* Reading, PA 2004* PNC 2005* Camden 2006* Meadwlands-2006* Continental Arena 2006* MSG-Jun 24,25 2008* Dodge Music Center 2008* Tweeter Center 2008* Phil.-Oct 28,30 2009* Hartford-2010* The Prudential Center-2010

• pjammer92pjammer92 Posts: 67
    Vs.
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think Yield.

and I know I don't have a huge range, but the chorus to In Hiding is harder than hell to sing along with

Someone mentioned Sleight of Hand earlier..... Ed is soooooooo powerful in the chorus. Sounds like he could blow through your chest. I think it has to do with the dynamics of the verse against the chorus.

Brain J was from VITALOGY sessions
  • CHANGEinWAVESCHANGEinWAVES Posts: 10,169
    so I think I'm the only person here to think this... but I love his voice on Riot Act... the raspyness and how it sounds like he just woke up. It's a personal opinion so don't bash me on this. :oops:
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
    mach271 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think Yield.

Good thing for my choice that they saved it for Yield then ;)
    so I think I'm the only person here to think this... but I love his voice on Riot Act...:

I agree :D

I think a few of the album cuts sound good, but almost everyone is 10x better live, imo. What you refer as "just woke up" I refer to sorta half assed.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    mach271 wrote:
    without a doubt, no braianer.........

VITALOGY

without a doubt in my mind. the band seemed so "dangerous" on this record, you know what i mean? that era? like anything could happen. ed was pissed. you could just FEEL it on that record. love it.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    No Code
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    mach271 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think Yield.

You really do learn something new everyday.

I always thought BoJ had a tinge of Vitalogy to it, but I never knew they were recorded at the same time.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle Posts: 10,724
    Vitalogy
    Vs.
    Yield
    No Code
    Ten
    NERDS!
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    mach271 wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:
    I think Yield.

You really do learn something new everyday.

I always thought BoJ had a tinge of Vitalogy to it, but I never knew they were recorded at the same time.

YES-SIR.......

It was originally titled BRAIN OF JFK......was played early in their 95 tour too (believe it was soldier field) they played HABIT as well, on that setlist.......
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    12345AGNST1's list is great. with vs on top! VS shows eddie's entire range.

*fast and acurate - go
    *driving vocals - rvm
    *his best screams are here - rvm, blood, leash, gg
    *introspective - indifference
    *poppy - daughter, small town
    *funky - rats

VS shows so many sides of eddie. That is why it is the best one for me.
    I will swallow poison
  • CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    Vitalogy - Yield is Ed at his best. Ten & VS are great, but he calmed his voice down circa 94-98 and it was wonderful, souful stuff. Since 2000 it has changed, down a couple of registers. He also wavers alot more these days on the high notes. He still sounds great though. I Won't Back Down from Vancouver 03 is one of the best examples of modern Vedder, absolutely spellbinding. No-one has a voice like him.
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Without investigating my initial feeling by playing through the whole catalog, I say Vs. :)
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,