"Pearl Jam," the album

2»

Comments

• Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    robcascie wrote:
    philthehip wrote:
    robcascie wrote:
    YES.. I absolutely love Binaural and Riot Act..
    ..wait, are you talking about that shitty exotic fruit?
    I'm sorry, really, but "Pearl Jam" sounded boring after 1 month from the release..
    if they make another average album like this.. It's the end.

Woe, over dramatised there. Please dont talk such utter bollocks

I love Pearl Jam (the band, not the album ;) ) with all my heart, but this album is.. without soul, without spirit, generic and already heard riffs.. I expect much more from them..
    It hurts me, but that's what I think

I hate to be the one to tell you this. But I think your ears are broken. You should see a doctor about that.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Avocado is the kind of generic backburner album I would expect from Creed or Bon Jovi, not Pearl Jam. But you people love that kind of crap, don't you? Give me Riot Act any day.

You should probably visit the doctor with the guy referenced in the post above. Maybe you can get a 2-for-1 discount. Your ears are screwed up, dude.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I sort of consider Avocado my favorite album by them. But about 50% of that reason is simply because I got into PJ right before the album came out and went on tour. So I remember all of that, and when I saw them in 06 at camden it was my first real concert, so I remember that like it was yesterday.

But I have to admit the album doesn't flow well. the first half is fast and energetic while the second half is sort of slower. BUT Life Wasted is one of my favorite PJ songs ever. I love that riff and matts drumming. Marker, comatose, Unemployable, and Army reserve are my other favorites. Severed Hand studio is awesome, but it got pretty played out live. Inside Job is epic, but I have to be in the mood for it.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Avocado is the kind of generic backburner album I would expect from Creed or Bon Jovi, not Pearl Jam. But you people love that kind of crap, don't you? Give me Riot Act any day.

You should probably visit the doctor with the guy referenced in the post above. Maybe you can get a 2-for-1 discount. Your ears are screwed up, dude.

My ears are fine. You have bad taste.
  • Options
    Brownie9160Brownie9160 Posts: 190
    inside job is amazing but my favorite is come back

it really is a perfect song

Agreed...it's grown to be one of my favorites of theirs. It was awesome to see it at Mansfield 1 last year too...it's even better live!

I have been spinning Avocado for the past couple weeks to get me pumped up for some new material, and it really is a solid record. Love the way it starts off with a bang w/ Life Wasted...one of their best riffs imo. I think Severed Hand will be added to the list of opening songs at shows...it works really well. Big Wave is a cool little song and of course Come Back is a perfect, simple song.
    Hartford 06
    Bonnaroo 08
    Hartford 08
    Mansfield I & II 08
    E.V. Boston I & II 08
  • Options

My ears are fine. You have bad taste.

Oh my. Your condition has degenrated more quickly than I thought. Might want to check yourself into the emergency room, pronto.

Or learn sign language. You're going deaf!
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    A good album, but one I was expecting more from. For me, personally, it just felt like the band tried too hard and with some exceptions, it largely came across to me as new lyrics to old riffs and some great tries at different rhythms, tempos, but then the lyrics fell short....for me. I haven't listened to it much since they toured for it...still Play Binaural and No Code pretty commonly.

I am glad though that you enjoy "Pearl Jam"!

I am really hoping for something well outside the box this year, something w/ a more live, spontaneous groove this time around. After almost 20 years maybe thats allot to hope for.

But I remain optimistic! :) ...and my love for this band still grows!
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    A good album, but one I was expecting more from. For me, personally, it just felt like the band tried too hard and with some exceptions, it largely came across to me as new lyrics to old riffs and some great tries at different rhythms, tempos, but then the lyrics fell short....for me.

Wait, your qualm with Avocado is the lyrics? Really? That floors me. I thought, start to finish, it was Ed's best lyrical work since Yield ... and maybe ever.

Avocado's lyrics really are its strongest point. The Ed songs, at least, are amazingly poetic.
  • Options
    KingmidgetKingmidget Posts: 628
    Kingmidget wrote:
    A good album, but one I was expecting more from. For me, personally, it just felt like the band tried too hard and with some exceptions, it largely came across to me as new lyrics to old riffs and some great tries at different rhythms, tempos, but then the lyrics fell short....for me.

Wait, your qualm with Avocado is the lyrics? Really? That floors me. I thought, start to finish, it was Ed's best lyrical work since Yield ... and maybe ever.

Avocado's lyrics really are its strongest point. The Ed songs, at least, are amazingly poetic.

I guess a better way to put it is that when I felt the band really clicked musically on some songs, the lyrics didn' give it justice...whether the verse was dull or Ed's singing style couldn't keep up ( I love Marker...a definite exception for me). Its the irony of the album for me...love the lyrics..so so on the arrangement or vice versa. Just my reaction.

6/10 for me, but again those are just my feelings.
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    I think I sing World Wide Suicide to myself about once a day...

I honestly feel that every PJ album is equally great and equally flawed. What I really like about Avocado is that the first 5 songs are hard rocking songs. They may have mellowed, but they can still bring the noise...
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    damen wrote:
    I think I sing World Wide Suicide to myself about once a day...

I honestly feel that every PJ album is equally great and equally flawed. What I really like about Avocado is that the first 5 songs are hard rocking songs. They may have mellowed, but they can still bring the noise...

yea i a lot of times i listen to the first 3 songs for my warm up run..WWS really gets me goin
    another another another waaaayyy
    im flying after that part 8-)
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Kingmidget wrote:

I guess a better way to put it is that when I felt the band really clicked musically on some songs, the lyrics didn' give it justice...whether the verse was dull or Ed's singing style couldn't keep up ( I love Marker...a definite exception for me). Its the irony of the album for me...love the lyrics..so so on the arrangement or vice versa. Just my reaction.

6/10 for me, but again those are just my feelings.

That's cool. Although I have no idea what the hell you're getting at. ;)
  • Options
    npabla25npabla25 Fort Wayne, IN Posts: 13
    It's my first post here, so hello to all of you. I just wanted to say I love this album. WWS gets me every time! The reason for that is because I lost my brother in Iraq in 2006. I got the phone call on Monday, July 3rd. "I felt the earth on a Monday, it moved beneath my feet..."
    The "medals on a wooden mantle, next to a handsome face" line describes my mother's living room. Just powerful lyrics that really hit home. So, needless to say, this album has a lot of meaning to me.
  • Options
    BEnglish017BEnglish017 Posts: 455
    i think i will enjoy this album much more down the road. it seems to me that i get so caught up listening to the newer bootlegs that i get burnt out on the latest album. once they have a new album come out and they are playing those songs every night i will have an appreciation for "pearl jam". i know they didn't play as much in 08 but i don't have all of those bootlegs. does this make sense to anyone else?
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    damendamen Posts: 104
    npabla25 wrote:
    It's my first post here, so hello to all of you. I just wanted to say I love this album. WWS gets me every time! The reason for that is because I lost my brother in Iraq in 2006. I got the phone call on Monday, July 3rd. "I felt the earth on a Monday, it moved beneath my feet..."
    The "medals on a wooden mantle, next to a handsome face" line describes my mother's living room. Just powerful lyrics that really hit home. So, needless to say, this album has a lot of meaning to me.

that is an amazing but very sad story! Let this song never be underestimated for describing what we all have witnessed in these times.
  • Options
    PJamGrungeFanPJamGrungeFan Posts: 289
    Doesn't compare to the early classics, but it's a good album nonetheless
  • Options
    darthvedder81darthvedder81 Posts: 688
    For me it's their third best album (after "Yield" and "Versus"). I've listened to it so much in the 3 years since it's become overplayed a little though.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    just finished giving it a spin....tremendous album start to finish... :D
  • Options
    RoeghmannRoeghmann Posts: 968
    I really like this album -and I may say it´s just like wine. It seems to get better with age.
    When PJ rocks they are at their best I think, and the Avocado rocks! WWS, Army Reserve n´ Marker are my fave tunes. (only hatch are Big Wave :roll: )
    :mrgreen:
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    It's my least favorite PJ album...but one of them has to be my least favorite, right?
  • Options
    twojawastwojawas Posts: 318
    robcascie wrote:
    YES.. I absolutely love Binaural and Riot Act..
    ..wait, are you talking about that shitty exotic fruit?
    I'm sorry, really, but "Pearl Jam" sounded boring after 1 month from the release..
    if they make another average album like this.. It's the end.

I'm not a fan either. I couldn't stand Riot Act either, but PJ is still one of my favourite bands. I think the good definitely outweighs the bad. :)
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Inside Job, Marker, Severed hand are classic PJ tracks and stood out on the first play of the album.

i HATED Comatose & Unemplyoable for a long time, but theyve grown to be my two favourite tracks on the album. the awkwardness of unemplyable is its secret.

The main thing the album lacked for me was good Jeff song(s) - surely Jeff had written something better than the music for Big Wave?? they couldve put The Forest on.....i digress.

love the Wasted Reprise bit too.
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252
    I didn’t like Adam Kasper’s production on ‘Pearl Jam’. It was without doubt their worst sounding album. It had a compressed, over produced coldness to it.
    As for the songs, way better than Riot Act & possibly Binaural, and I thought the album sounded great live with the exception of Life Wasted & Marker In The Sand.

Also Eddie seemed to be really forcing his voice on this album (Parachutes & Army Reserve are good examples)