Options

"Pearl Jam," the album

aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Okay, now that this record is almost 3 years old, and on the cusp of the forthcoming release, i think this album has lasted the time test and is still a terrific, rocking, loud album.

I cannot believe how fast time flies. It still feels like this album just came out. But, as time goes by, it, like all previous albums, has become a marker in my life (or in the sand). I remember (as I do with all PJ albums) what i was doing, who I was doing it with, and where we were doing it. I remember the sights, sounds, and smells of my life from 3 years ago just by listening to this self-titled greatness.

Anyhow, this is my shout out to the greatness that is the album, "Pearl Jam."

Show your love! :mrgreen:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Okay, now that this record is almost 3 years old, and on the cusp of the forthcoming release, i think this album has lasted the time test and is still a terrific, rocking, loud album.

I cannot believe how fast time flies. It still feels like this album just came out. But, as time goes by, it, like all previous albums, has become a marker in my life (or in the sand). I remember (as I do with all PJ albums) what i was doing, who I was doing it with, and where we were doing it. I remember the sights, sounds, and smells of my life from 3 years ago just by listening to this self-titled greatness.

This album has grown on me, with the exception of only a few tracks. Comatose may very well be one of my favourite PJ tracks period.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I really do like the album.

Im a big 'Army Reserve' guy.
  • Options
    Inside Job. :)
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    YES.. I absolutely love Binaural and Riot Act..
    ..wait, are you talking about that shitty exotic fruit?
    I'm sorry, really, but "Pearl Jam" sounded boring after 1 month from the release..
    if they make another average album like this.. It's the end.
  • Options
    MFC9289MFC9289 Posts: 144
    I totally agree with the OP. I really do love this album, and it simply evades me how a good amount of PJ fans shit on it. It may not be as experimental as No Code, or simply not as good as Yield (which is my favorite), but I don't find much fault with it. It's hard rocking and every song stands on its own, and I feel like it's the type of album they really needed to make as a band. And it truly does remind me of that spring/summer right after it came out.
    Boston II 9/29/04, Bonnaroo 6/14/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08

"Ransom paid the devil
    He whispers pleasing words
    Triumphant are the angels if they can get there first..."
  • Options
    TonykinTonykin Posts: 252
    I like it very much... It's one of my top 3 along with Ten & Yield... Severed Hand my favorite one... And Avocado it's my favorite fruit, a la guacamole VIVA MEXICO CABRONES!!

"... Tan suato mi'jo!!"

-Salomón & Artemisa Vargas
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I still like it and feel it has passed the test of time for me.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    simmers33simmers33 Posts: 228
    Yes good album! Definitely deserves its place in the PJ library.

Severed Hand live either as an opener or 2nd song is pretty cool. Which do you like better live? When they play the song's original intro music over the house speakers or when the guys play the intro on their guitars? I can't decide.
    Good evening...
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    It has definitely passed the test of time for me as well. Very solid album overall. I'm surprised by the amount of negative responses that it gets around here.
  • Options
    rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    Great PJ album, in my opinion. Probably in my top 3, after No Code & Yield.

Marker In the Sand & Army Reserve are brilliant songs, but there's so much to love here.

Comatose, Parachutes, Gone, WWS, Life Wasted, Big Wave....all good stuff
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Options
    evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    I agree, it really has stood the test of time. I liked Riot Act, and love Binaural, but self titled stepped their gamed up and has the potential to surpass those last two.

Just the amount of songs destined to be classics in the future proves it is a really great album. Life Wasted, Comatose, World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, and Come Back are all sure fire entire crowd sing alongs.
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    There are high points(Army Reserve, Inside Job, MAIS) and low points(Comatose, Big Wave)
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    robcascie wrote:
    I'm sorry, really, but "Pearl Jam" sounded boring after 1 month from the release..

Woe, over dramatised there. Please dont talk such utter bollocks
  • Options
    greenmannygreenmanny Posts: 766
    I also enjoy the album. Two of my favorite PJ songs come from it: "Comeback" and "Parachutes."
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I remember the hype very well. I was on the way to Vegas first time i heard WWS.

i need to give it another spin soon. Going to dust off Riot Act as well.

soo..
    Life Wasted - 6/10 - fairly dull studio recording - better live
    World Wide Suicide - 8/10 - great punchy power pop - better studio
    Comatose - 6/10 - fun rock song, eds voice ain't too hot on it - better live
    Severed Hand - 7/10 - love Mikes work on the song - much better live
    Marker In the Sand - 5/10 - great ideas poorly executed. music is good but the chorus is wretched - better studio
    Parachutes - 6/10 - music is lovely, my score could go up or down on any given day - better studio
    Unemployable - 6/10 - cringeworthy first listen but thankfully it's aged failry well. a bit too polished sounding - better live
    Big Wave - 6/10 - better with time, fun little tune, a bit guiltypleasureish - much better live
    Gone - 6/10 - almost a great song but it's just not - better live
    Wasted Reprise - 7/10 - does what it needs to do, cant' be too critical either way - better live
    Army Reserve - 9/10 - Easily best song on album. Great PJ Song across the board - better studio
    Come Back - 8/10 - hated at first but i see myself pulling this song out a lot throughout my life. Such a touching song - better live
    Inside Job - 7/10 - Again, could've been so much better . intro could be more adventurous, lyrics could be better - Much better live (mikes tone is ace on his double neck for this lead)

Overall it's a fun record and i kind of understand what they were going for. On surface it seems it could have been such an amazing album but it just falls flat in many places.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    + 1 on the love for this one. Riot Act is a fine album, but song for song I like S/T more.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,777
    The albums always mark transitions in my life... Yield with college, etc.

Lots of transitions came in my life when this album came out. Lots of intense feelings, lots of change. I had this album in my car stereo all summer long. Met the woman of my dreams that summer, going to propose to her (I assume) around the time the new album drops.

It's better live, no doubt about that. But some of those lingering songs... Inside Job, Gone, even the Wasted Reprise strike a chord in me that I've yet to feel from another band.

I can't wait to see what the next album brings...
  • Options
    JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    philthehip wrote:
    robcascie wrote:

I love Pearl Jam (the band, not the album ;) ) with all my heart, but this album is.. without soul, without spirit, generic and already heard riffs.. I expect much more from them..
    It hurts me, but that's what I think
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    aNiMaL wrote:

Im with you. I really liked the self titled album a lot. There a bunch of people that really didn't like it though. It each their own I guess.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    robcascie wrote:
    philthehip wrote:
    robcascie wrote:

I love Pearl Jam (the band, not the album ;) ) with all my heart, but this album is.. without soul, without spirit, generic and already heard riffs.. I expect much more from them..
    It hurts me, but that's what I think

Sorry, im not arguing your right to not like the album, it was the its the end. that was juvinile
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    DewieCox wrote:
    There are high points(Army Reserve, Inside Job, MAIS) and low points(Comatose, Big Wave)
    See, I love Comatose. I think the low points are Big Wave, Unemployable. I think Come Back is OK, but not that crazy about it. Other than that, i really like every song on the album. I love Marker, COmatose, Army Reserve & Inside Job.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options
    FatalFatal Posts: 821
    Didn't quite meet my expectations (which were sky high from all the press and hype before its release), but this is still a very solid Pearl Jam record, and IMO far from their worst.

Binaural and Riot Act both contain some better songs, but top to bottom i find Avocado to be much more consistent.
    Shows: Montreal 98, Barrie 98, Montreal 00, Montreal 03, Montreal 05, Ottawa 05, Toronto 06, Vancouver Night 1 08 (EV), Vancouver Night 2 08 (EV), MSG1 08, MSG2 08, Montreal Night 2 08 (EV), Toronto Night 1 08 (EV), Toronto 09, Hartford 11 (EV), Ottawa 11, Ottawa 16, Ottawa 22.

• Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Comatose, Unempolyable, Big Wave, Inside Job and Parachutes are the only good songs. The rest is generic horseshit.
  • Options
    redeyeredeye Posts: 620
    edited May 2009
    this album was a real grower for me, in the beginning i hated it!!!

i had to give it time, and stuck with it...

and goddamn, i love the album now!!!!( still cant love the artwork lol) army reserve, unemployable, come back, CLASSIC PJ!!!!!

word up OP!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
    Post edited by redeye on
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Comatose, Unempolyable, Big Wave, Inside Job and Parachutes are the only good songs. The rest is generic horseshit.

shut_up.png
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    inside job is amazing but my favorite is come back

it really is a perfect song
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    Avocado is the kind of generic backburner album I would expect from Creed or Bon Jovi, not Pearl Jam. But you people love that kind of crap, don't you? Give me Riot Act any day.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    weird...just this morning i thought i haven't listened to this in a while...might have to spin that black circle tonight :D
  • Options
    JKestleJKestle Posts: 64
    Avocado is a great cover-to-cover album, there isn't a song I don't like.

Favs are definately big wave and army reserve.

Can't wait (but will) for the new one.
  • Options
    EddiesMuseEddiesMuse Posts: 389
    Inside Job. :)

Love this song, and Parachutes too
    Sometimes "Majority" just means all of the Fools are in Agreement.