Options

RITFW with Bono

2»

Comments

• Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    philthehip wrote:
    Well thats me told off :(

Sorry if I came off as all preachy and whatnot.

I'm just raw right now. In a thread about Jeff on another board about another topic :roll:
    everyone started jumping all over his abilities and the band in general. Really got me going.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    Hey dude its all gravy, I am just flippant and quite sarcastic. I dont really hate U2 they just aint my scene. Wheres this other thread dude? i will come and battle for ya lol
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    I used to be a RABID U2 fan... Like follow them 4-5 shows per tour Rabid.. They lost me around Vertigo.. When they screwed over the fanclub when they went to online from print.. Those bastards still owe me $20 or 4 issues of Propaganda.. Lol.. Anyway.. RITFW is the only thing Bono and Edge have done that I found Remotely intersting since Elevation.. I played this latest piece of poo in my work truck everyday for a week hoping it would grow on me.. I liked it less and less everyday.. I am glad that PJ are not a total studio fabrication so completely dependent on producers that they finally have to include them in the songwriting credits.. Check the creds on Horizon and u will see what I am saying.. Geez.. I used to Worship these schmucks..
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    philthehip wrote:
    Wheres this other thread dude? i will come and battle for ya lol

Wish you could, but it's a paid board for my college football team.

I put up the good PJ fight for us though.

8-)
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    Child Of The 90sChild Of The 90s Posts: 526
    edited May 2009
    When I'm talking about changing lyrics, I'm meaning a whole batch of them. Not just "homeless man" to "soldier man."

I'll admit I haven't heard every single version of RITFW from the last several years, but I've heard many. And none of them changed as drastically as Bono changed them here. Maybe I'd feel better about the Bono version if he changed them to something, I don't know, less inane. "Make poverty history?" ... wtf is that?

I just realized that this thread is referring to the Christmas single version (Australia 2006), not the Toronto version like I originally thought.

If you look at the notes on the album cover, it says "Additional lyrics by Ed Vedder and Bono". That means that it was a colaboration. If you listen closely, you can hear that it is actually both of them that say "make poverty history". Also, there are some sections in the song when Ed and Bono go back and forth from line to line with different lyrics. It's definitely not just Bono.

I also listened to my Toronto version of this to see how they perform it, and Ed also made changes there:

"never get to be cool, never get to be him"
    "there's a thousand points of light for the African man. There's a kinder gentler coming to help you hand".
    "he's a fan of the people, he's standin' on the side, he's got fuel to burn, he's got roads to drive"
    Post edited by Child Of The 90s on
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    I just realized that this thread is referring to the Christmas single version (Australia 2006), not the Toronto version like I originally thought.

If you look at the notes on the album cover, it says "Additional lyrics by Ed Vedder and Bono". That means that it was a colaboration. If you listen closely, you can hear that it is actually both of them that say "make poverty history". Also, there are some sections in the song when Ed and Bono go back and forth from line to line with different lyrics. It's definitely not just Bono.

I also listened to my Toronto version of this to see how they perform it, and Ed also made changes there:

"never get to be cool, never get to be him"
    "there's a thousand points of light for the African man. There's a kinder gentler coming to help you hand".
    "he's a fan of the people, he's standin' on the side, he's got fuel to burn, he's got roads to drive"

Wow. That is just awful.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    If the song is already about poverty and homelessness, why did Bono feel the need to change the lyrics? I'm not really anti-Bono. I like U2 alright. But this version really, really made me roll my eyes.

Because he wanted to adapt the song to suit a specific cause rather than just the general issue. Kinda like how Ed changed the lyrics to "We got a thousand points of light for the New Orleans man" after Katrina.
  • Options
    If the song is already about poverty and homelessness, why did Bono feel the need to change the lyrics? I'm not really anti-Bono. I like U2 alright. But this version really, really made me roll my eyes.

Because he wanted to adapt the song to suit a specific cause rather than just the general issue. Kinda like how Ed changed the lyrics to "We got a thousand points of light for the New Orleans man" after Katrina.

Right. Like I said, changing one word or phrase is one thing. Changing an entire block of lyrics in a cover song, IMO, is dumb.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,558

Right. Like I said, changing one word or phrase is one thing. Changing an entire block of lyrics in a cover song, IMO, is dumb.

You know what is dumb? Continuing to sing "Here's to the State" with Jerry Fallwell and Alberto Gonzales references when Fallwell is dead and Gonzales is no longer AG. Also, John Roberts is a pretty fair justice so he doesn't fit into the song as well. That whole song has redone lyrics.
  • Options
    You know what is dumb? Continuing to sing "Here's to the State" with Jerry Fallwell and Alberto Gonzales references when Fallwell is dead and Gonzales is no longer AG. Also, John Roberts is a pretty fair justice so he doesn't fit into the song as well. That whole song has redone lyrics.

I agree. That was/is ridiculous.