Options

RITFW with Bono

philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
edited May 2009 in The Porch
The song came on so i just left it. What was all the making poverty history bullshit? Bono with his £1000 nob head glasses talking about poverty.

Pearl Jam should really think about saying no if they are ever asked or feel the need to invite Bono to sing with them. They did half a decent album and somehow everyone remembers them as gods.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    How is it any different from Ed rantin on Porch from unplugged or the C-R-E-E-E-D during Green Disease?
  • Options
    it just seems so lame though. changing the words enough to make it fit bono and his agenda. it was a hideous version in my view
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    dont worry it will never happen again and we can all put it behind us and pretend it never happened.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    DewieCox wrote:
    How is it any different from Ed rantin on Porch from unplugged or the C-R-E-E-E-D during Green Disease?

"CREED"?

Do you mean "GREED"?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    South Park portrayed Bono perfectly:

The worlds biggest shit.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    CJMST3K wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

"CREED"?

Do you mean "GREED"?

I was thinking the same thing lol.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    He's changed it to CREED, live. There are at least a few different versions from 03.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    DewieCox wrote:
    He's changed it to CREED, live. There are at least a few different versions from 03.

Yup.

Also, "it's deceiving ... a band called Cre-eed." Thought that was funny lyric change, coming after the "stowaway with my throat" line.

On the original topic, I don't really like that version either. I don't like it when people cover a song and completely change the lyrics. Corin Tucker did this on RITFW on the 2003 tour and it irritated me to no end.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    DewieCox wrote:

Yup.

Also, "it's deceiving ... a band called Cre-eed." Thought that was funny lyric change, coming after the "stowaway with my throat" line.

On the original topic, I don't really like that version either. I don't like it when people cover a song and completely change the lyrics. Corin Tucker did this on RITFW on the 2003 tour and it irritated me to no end.

HAHA. Didnt know that... Reminds me of Celebrity Death Match!
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I agree I hate that version of RITFW with Bono. It is terrible and lyric change totally ruined the song. I also agree with the poster who mentioned Corin Tucker changing the lyrics back in 03...she ruined EVERY song she sang on! Her voice is a combination of nails on a chalkboard and a dying bird.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    PearlJamPatriotPearlJamPatriot Posts: 2,426
    I agree I hate that version of RITFW with Bono. It is terrible and lyric change totally ruined the song. I also agree with the poster who mentioned Corin Tucker changing the lyrics back in 03...she ruined EVERY song she sang on! Her voice is a combination of nails on a chalkboard and a dying bird.
    I hate it too.
    Pearl Jam Shows: 1998 - 9/11 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 9/13 Hartford, CT || 2000 - 8/24 Wantagh, NY (Jones Beach 2); 8/27 Saratoga Springs; 8/29 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 8/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2) || 2003 - 4/29 Albany, NY; 5/3 State College, PA; 7/2 Mansfield (night 1); 7/6 Camden, NJ (night 2); 7/8 New York, NY (MSG night 1) || 2004 - 9/28 Boston, MA (night 1); 9/29 Boston, MA (night 2) || 2005 - 10/3 Philadelphia, PA || 2006 - 5/12 Albany, NY; 5/13 Hartford, CT; 5/24 Boston, MA (night 1); 5/25 Boston, MA (night 2); 5/27 Camden, NJ (night 1); 5/28 Camden, NJ (night 2)|| 2008 - 6/19 Camden, NJ (night 1); 6/24 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 6/25 New York, NY (MSG night 2); 6/27 Hartford, CT; 6/28 Mansfield, MA (night 1); 6/30 Mansfield, MA (night 2); 7/1 New York, NY (Beacon Theater)|| 2009 - 9/21 Seattle, WA (night 1); 9/22 Seattle, WA (night 2); 10/27 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 1); 10/28 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 2); 10/30 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 3); 10/31 Philadelphia, PA (Spectrum night 4)|| 2010 - 5/15 Hartford, CT; 5/17 Boston, MA; 5/20 New York, NY (MSG night 1); 5/21 New York, NY (MSG night 2)|| 2011 - 9/3 East Troy, WI (PJ20); 9/4 East Troy, WI (PJ20) || 2012 - 9/2 Philadelphia, PA, 9/30 Missoula, MT || 2013 - 7/19 Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), 10/12 Buffalo, NY, 10/15 Worcester, MA (night 1), 10/16 Worcester, MA (night 2), 10/18 Brooklyn, NY (night 1), 10/19 Brooklyn, NY (night 2), 10/25 Hartford, CT || 2014 - 10/22 Denver, CO || 2015 -  9/26 New York, NY (Global Citizen Festival) || 2016 - 5/1 New York, NY (night 1), 5/2 New York, NY (night 2), 8/5 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1), 8/7 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 2) || 2018 - 9/2 Boston, MA (Fenway Park night 1) || 2020 - 3/30 New York, NY
    Eddie Vedder solo: 2008 - Boston night 1 & 2 || 2009 - Albany, NY night 1 & 2 || 2011 - Hartford, CT, Boston, MA

• Options

I was gonna say, I didn't notice a lyric change. Musta been the atrocious singin........

I like her singin on the 10c single and Hard Sun quite a bit more. She is just really shouty.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Yes, how horrible was it to hear a song we've heard a hundred times sung differently with arguably the greatest frontman of all time. I was at the Toronto show and loved every second of that song. There is no question that U2 is an all-time great band. No question.
  • Options
    philthehip wrote:
    it just seems so lame though. changing the words enough to make it fit bono and his agenda. it was a hideous version in my view

Making it fit his agenda??? The song is about poverty and homelessness to begin with. It's not that much of a stretch. Also, Eddie has changed the lyrics many times. Depending on which country he is in the 'colours on the street' change. Seeing this song live was great, and everyone in the place seemed to be into it. Having a surprise guest who mixes things up a little is great.
  • Options
    Laf9124Laf9124 Posts: 342
    I agree--I was there that night, and while it not only a big thrill for my little brother to see Bono on stage that close, I thought the version was pretty good. Maybe it was the moment, but for a "different" version of RITFW it's definitely worth a few spins.
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    Yes, how horrible was it to hear a song we've heard a hundred times sung differently with arguably the greatest frontman of all time. I was at the Toronto show and loved every second of that song. There is no question that U2 is an all-time great band. No question.
    in your world ed maybe the greatest frontman but in reality theres bout 5-10 lead singers id put ahead of ed. yea U2 is a all time great band if you call whoring yourself out cool.

amen amen
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    I also agree with the poster who mentioned Corin Tucker changing the lyrics back in 03...she ruined EVERY song she sang on! Her voice is a combination of nails on a chalkboard and a dying bird.[/quote]

couldnt have said it better!
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i did not appreciate being subjected to bono singing on ritfw.
  • Options
    philthehip wrote:

Making it fit his agenda??? The song is about poverty and homelessness to begin with. It's not that much of a stretch. Also, Eddie has changed the lyrics many times. Depending on which country he is in the 'colours on the street' change. Seeing this song live was great, and everyone in the place seemed to be into it. Having a surprise guest who mixes things up a little is great.

If the song is already about poverty and homelessness, why did Bono feel the need to change the lyrics? I'm not really anti-Bono. I like U2 alright. But this version really, really made me roll my eyes.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    metsfan wrote:
    in your world ed maybe the greatest frontman but in reality theres bout 5-10 lead singers id put ahead of ed. yea U2 is a all time great band if you call whoring yourself out cool.

No, I meant that Bono was the greatest frontman of all time. U2 has sold out a freaking stadium tour 25-30 years into their careers. They continue to make relevant music, which no other band has ever done this long into their career. They are an all-time great band because millions of people love them, and they take risks (ala Pop and Zooropa).
  • Options
    Yes Bono is conceited, but he also has done a lot of good work around making people aware of various situations and working with politicians to make changes. Pearl Jam opened for U2 early on in their career and were consistently booed at the shows - Bono and co. had lots of good talks with PJ about this and they all are friends. So it isn't unlikely that they run into each other on stage again.

I have no problem with Bono changing lyrics - Ed does it all the time. I like the version and listen to it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Maybe take it off your iPod? Seems like an easy solution.
  • Options
    Yes Bono is conceited, but he also has done a lot of good work around making people aware of various situations and working with politicians to make changes. Pearl Jam opened for U2 early on in their career and were consistently booed at the shows - Bono and co. had lots of good talks with PJ about this and they all are friends. So it isn't unlikely that they run into each other on stage again.

I have no problem with Bono changing lyrics - Ed does it all the time. I like the version and listen to it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Maybe take it off your iPod? Seems like an easy solution.

I'd like an example of Ed covering a song and completely changing whole batches of lyrics like Bono does here. Maybe they are out there, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    I was there that night too and I just about jumped out of my skin when Bono joined them on stage... the crowd pretty much lost their shit. I happen to love that version... maybe you had to be there *shrugs*, I don't know... maybe some of you were there and hated it anyway. I'm just not one of them.

BTW, Ed changes the lyrics to "Throw Your Arms Around Me" all the time... in that instance I don't think it's so much that he's "changing them" consciously insofar as he just sings the wrong words... consistently. I don't really care... I love that song, I always have and I'm okay with Ed mucking it up a bit ;) Maybe not the best example, lol... I do think it threw Mark Seymour a little, though :lol:
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353

word.
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,353

I'd like an example of Ed covering a song and completely changing whole batches of lyrics like Bono does here. Maybe they are out there, but I can't think of one off the top of my head.

almost any version from the last few years ed changes the lyrics in the last verse on Rockin...
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options

almost any version from the last few years ed changes the lyrics in the last verse on Rockin...

to what?

When I'm talking about changing lyrics, I'm meaning a whole batch of them. Not just "homeless man" to "soldier man."

I'll admit I haven't heard every single version of RITFW from the last several years, but I've heard many. And none of them changed as drastically as Bono changed them here. Maybe I'd feel better about the Bono version if he changed them to something, I don't know, less inane. "Make poverty history?" ... wtf is that?
  • Options
    Maybe you had to be there then. I just cant stand Bono maybe. I am the only person I know who does not like Joshua Tree. Its not my fault if all my friends are terminally tone death lol. no Im only playing, U2 are not that bad. Just in my view not that good either. I dont ever remember Edd changing entire songs before this one so I blame Bono entirely. Someone said about 5 to 10 front men being better than Edd? I can only think of 2. Robert Plant and Andy Latimer from Camel. I dont include Pink Floyd because I dont feel they had a front man as such. The Doors I dont feel were around long enough, but I love their music totally. And please if anyone comes back at me with Queen I am going to cry lol. I dont base all this on Neatness and well rehearsed professional ways because Edd would not be in my top 100 lol. I base it more on how he makes me feel when I see PJ perform or listen to their music. PJ is something very very special and we are all the chosen ones. Its a religion you see
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,020

:lol:
  • Options
    nukebootnukeboot Posts: 1,465
    It's art, folks. Nobody expects you to like it all.

I hear endless crap about PJ from the haters out there and the U2 bashers
    are just as willing to trash. If you don't like them, fine. But try to have some
    respect for your fellow posters who do.
    EdSurfingSig_zpsgmyltito.jpg
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    nukeboot wrote:
    It's art, folks. Nobody expects you to like it all.

I hear endless crap about PJ from the haters out there and the U2 bashers
    are just as willing to trash. If you don't like them, fine. But try to have some
    respect for your fellow posters who do.

Well thats me told off :(