Options

Footsteps...

2»

Comments

• Options
    I don't see how a harmonica can take away from a song about death row. I think it definitely adds to the ambience. Nearly jizzed my pants when Ed first started using it.

to each his own...i didn't say i hate the harmonica..i just like the harmonica-less version better.

Footsteps - Zurich 6-18-1992 - my favorite version!!

...and where did you hear it was about death row?? i didn't know that!
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,931
    I don't see how a harmonica can take away from a song about death row. I think it definitely adds to the ambience. Nearly jizzed my pants when Ed first started using it.
    Nah , this song goes with alive.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    mickeyrat wrote:

No shit, Sherlock. What does that have to do with anything I wrote?
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,931
    mickeyrat wrote:

Possibly because the thread is about Footsteps and your post infers the song is about death row? Take a pill.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    I like it with harmonica but not the Frankenstein "Lost Dogs" version.
  • Options
    ToneTone Posts: 1,206
    aicbones wrote:
    I like the harmonica, but I'm too used to the original. Every time I hear the version with harmonica it jumps out at me like something is not right.

Yep, I feel exactly the same way... I also prefer original Wash as opposed to "Lost Dogs" Wash... it's just what I'm used to 8-)
    Glaciers melting in the dead of night and the superstars sucked into the supermassive.
  • Options
    mickeyrat wrote:

Possibly because the thread is about Footsteps and your post infers the song is about death row? Take a pill.

alright...break it up, break it up...don't make me take my belt off! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I didn't "infer" anything. I just listened when Ed explained what Footsteps is about. You have no idea how the Alive-Once-Footsteps trilogy fits together, do you?

It's OK to admit it. I'm sure someone will explain.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • Options
    +1 for the harmonica

(smile is one of my favorite riffs to play on harmonica)
  • Options
    WaveCameCrashinWaveCameCrashin Posts: 2,929
    Harmonica fo sho 8-)
  • Options
    +2 for the harmonica

Time of Trouble by Temple of the Dog had a harmonica and it sounded amazing. It just goes with the flow of the music.
  • Options
    PaukPauk Posts: 1,084

I didn't "infer" anything. I just listened when Ed explained what Footsteps is about. You have no idea how the Alive-Once-Footsteps trilogy fits together, do you?

It's OK to admit it. I'm sure someone will explain.
    I'll back you up :lol:

Alive = Father dies(...your real daddy was dying). Mother goes a little insane and sees her husband in her son (I can't remember anything to this very day 'cept the look). Incest fucks up the son's mind ("You're still alive" she said, "oh, but do I deserve to be").

Once = Crazy son goes on a killing spree (Once upon a time I could control myself) because of the conflicting feelings for his mother (Once upon a time I could love you).

Footsteps = Son writes letter to mother about his conflicting feelings of love (Photos on my chest, it was you) and blame for fucking his mind up (If there was a reason, it was you).

I'm sure it used to be on theskyiscrape FAQ, but the new version doesn't seem to have a FAQ section anymore.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I love when Ed plays the harmonica! :)
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    parintachin73parintachin73 Posts: 731
    Gotta vote yes on the harp. It adds another element to an already beautiful song.
  • Options
    I love when Ed plays the harmonica! :)

i do to..on smile..not footsteps
  • Options

to each his own...i didn't say i hate the harmonica..i just like the harmonica-less version better.

Footsteps - Zurich 6-18-1992 - my favorite version!!

...and where did you hear it was about death row?? i didn't know that!

Ed, from the big Cameron Crowe interview in RS, before Vs. was released, explaining the trilogy:

"But I'm still alive. I'm the lover that's still alive. And the whole conversation about 'You're still alive, she said' And his doubts: 'Do I deserve to be? Is that the question?' Because he's fucked up forever! So now he doesn't know how to deal with it. So what does he do, he goes out killing people -- that was [the song] 'Once.' He becomes a serial killer. And 'Footsteps,' the final song of the trilogy, that's when he gets executed. That's what happens. The Green River killer... and in San Diego, there was another prostitute killer down there. Somehow I related to that. I think that happens more than we know. It's a modern way of dealing with a bad life."
  • Options

Ed, from the big Cameron Crowe interview in RS, before Vs. was released, explaining the trilogy:

"But I'm still alive. I'm the lover that's still alive. And the whole conversation about 'You're still alive, she said' And his doubts: 'Do I deserve to be? Is that the question?' Because he's fucked up forever! So now he doesn't know how to deal with it. So what does he do, he goes out killing people -- that was [the song] 'Once.' He becomes a serial killer. And 'Footsteps,' the final song of the trilogy, that's when he gets executed. That's what happens. The Green River killer... and in San Diego, there was another prostitute killer down there. Somehow I related to that. I think that happens more than we know. It's a modern way of dealing with a bad life."

very interesting..never knew...thanks for sharing dude!

that's one of the things i like about Ed's lyrics...you can kinda fit them to your life and have it mean something he didn't intend it to mean..yet it fits so well you think he wrote it for you!
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    I like the Harmonica (as long as Eddie's not too drunk to use it, lol) and Footsteps is one of my favorite songs...London will be my 18th show and I've yet to here it...Footsteps in London, please!!
  • Options
    Elbereth84Elbereth84 Posts: 253
    I like the harmonica ... it's like the icing on the cake. :)
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,093
    Rossum20 wrote:
    I like the Harmonica (as long as Eddie's not too drunk to use it, lol) and Footsteps is one of my favorite songs...London will be my 18th show and I've yet to here it...Footsteps in London, please!!

I second that - PLEASE PLAY FOOTSTEPS IN LONDON :D:D

Definately prefer version with harmonica....EVERYBODY should listen to the version on the Newcastle 06 boot it is hauntingly good... :) and the main reason its my "most want to hear live" song now
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    pearljamchrispearljamchris Posts: 282
    Rossum20 wrote:

Definately prefer version with harmonica....EVERYBODY should listen to the version on the Newcastle 06 boot it is hauntingly good... :) and the main reason its my "most want to hear live" song now

i third that request, footsteps for london!!! harmonica playing preferd but optional :D
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options
    Elbereth84Elbereth84 Posts: 253
    grungeyed wrote:
    Rossum20 wrote:

i third that request, footsteps for london!!! harmonica playing preferd but optional :D

They better play it in Berlin ... :D
  • Options
    pearljamchrispearljamchris Posts: 282

Definately prefer version with harmonica....EVERYBODY should listen to the version on the Newcastle 06 boot it is hauntingly good... :) and the main reason its my "most want to hear live" song now[/quote]

i third that request, footsteps for london!!! harmonica playing preferd but optional :D[/quote]

They better play it in Berlin ... :D[/quote]

to hell with it lets have it in rotterdam aswell! loads of footsteps!
    IF YOU HATE SOMETHING,.. DONT YOU DO IT TOO
  • Options

now i know why he says "and this is act 3" when he does footsteps in Zurich (6-18-1992)...they do the trilogy during that show...def my fav version of footsteps by far!