Options

Last time out at the Toronto Molson Amphitheater in 2003

crazybootsiecrazybootsie Posts: 127
edited May 2009 in The Porch
Hello Folks,

Many things in life have changed over the last 6 years since this show but if you were one of the lucky ones to have been there that night on June 28th, 2003 I'm sure you still remember. I bring this up only because at that show Eddie said something very interesting, he said that PJ was thinking about doing a tour that next year of about 7 of the best Pearl Jam cities and Toronto would be one of them!!!! well it's been 6 years since and I know that they have been back many times but I believe we are getting that show that was talked about way back when and it's going to be one for the ages!!!!!!!!!!!

One other thing about that show in 03 was the festival of lights fireworks that went off just as they were singing Baba O'Riley. unreal!!

Molson Amphitheatre
Jun 28, 2003
Set 1

* Release * Breakerfall * Hail Hail * Save You * Cropduster * Dissident * In My Tree * Given To Fly * Insignificance * Love Boat Captain * Get Right * I Believe In Miracles * I Got Id * Lukin * Corduroy * Thumbing My Way * Daughter * Even Flow

Encore 1

* Bu$hleaguer * Fortunate Son * Do The Evolution * Better Man * Crazy Mary * Spin The Black Circle
* Rockin In The Free World

Encore 2

* Baba O'Riley
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    TUTMAN08TUTMAN08 Posts: 82
    Sounds terrific. Got my ticket confirmation yesterday and while I hate to wish the summer away, I can't wait for the show.

On another note - are there any hotels within walking distance of the Molson?
  • Options
    MANTISMANTIS Posts: 272
    TUTMAN08 wrote:
    Sounds terrific. Got my ticket confirmation yesterday and while I hate to wish the summer away, I can't wait for the show.

On another note - are there any hotels within walking distance of the Molson?

that all depends on how you define 'walking distance'!

Columbus 00 -- Toronto 00 -- Toronto 03 -- Hershey 03 -- Boston I 04 -- Boston II 04 -- Toledo 04 -- Kitchener 05 -- London 05 -- Hamilton 05 -- Ottawa 05 -- Toronto 05 -- Toronto I 06 -- Toronto II 06 -- Cleveland 06 -- Detroit 06 -- Gorge I 06 -- Gorge II 06 -- Chicago Lolla 07 -- Toronto 09 -- Buffalo 10 -- Hamilton 11 -- Toronto I 11 -- Toronto II 11 -- Buffalo 13 -- London 13 -- Toronto I 16 -- Toronto II 16 -- Ottawa 16 -- Chicago I  18 -- Chicago II 18 -- Hamilton 22 -- Toronto 22

Ed Ved - Toronto I 08--Toronto II 08

• Options
    edited May 2009
    I live here in Toronto and there are not many hotels in close walking distance of the show but that doesn't matter as you can cab it or street car to the event. Check out these 2 hotels below as they are the closest it's a 20 minute walk or it's a $10 cab ride to the amphitheater. the closest street would be King st.

before show parties would be a tailgate or the Brazen head pub in liberty village as it's the closest bar to the show and about 10 minute walk. good spot, http://www.brazenhead.ca/

http://www.torontoregency.hyatt.com/hya ... /index.jsp

http://www.travelodge.com/Travelodge/co ... o&variant=

Best after show spots

1.Underground garage- awesome spot, great alternative music http://www.undergroundgarage.ca/ no dress code
    2.Tattoo rock parlour - good spot http://www.tattoorockparlour.com/ not sure about dress code
    3. The horseshoe Tavern - great spot, many of the tops acts played here in the day. http://www.horseshoetavern.com/ no dress code
    4. if your looking for some fine Toronto women check out the Drake hotel - http://www.thedrakehotel.ca/ great rooftop patio- but get dressed up if going there.
    Post edited by crazybootsie on
  • Options
    yellowled81yellowled81 Posts: 87
    Eddie said the same thing at Alpine Valley in '03 and they still haven't been back or scheduled a date. But, I can't complain with two shows at the UC in Aug!
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i booked a night at the days inn on 14 roncesvalles ave... hotels.com said it was about 1.5 miles away from molsen... is this w.in walking distance or will i have to take piblic transportation?

anyone from toronto familiar with this?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    Days inn roncesvalle ave is in a shitty part of the city. you can walk, it's a 30minutes or a ten buck cab ride. you can also take the street car which goes by your hotel, across queen street to stong, get off and walk for about 10 minutes and you are there. just know that it's not the nicest area where you are staying. that being said Toronto is a very friendly city and i wouldn't worry too much wherever I stayed.
  • Options
    Days inn roncesvalle ave is in a shitty part of the city. you can walk, it's a 30minutes or a ten buck cab ride. you can also take the street car which goes by your hotel, across queen street to stong, get off and walk for about 10 minutes and you are there. just know that it's not the nicest area where you are staying. that being said Toronto is a very friendly city and i wouldn't worry too much wherever I stayed.

are cabs readily available in toronto like they are in nyc? can you just hail a cab or do you have to call for one?
  • Options
    in that area ( roncesvalle & Queen ) there are lots of cabs. I've been to the amphitheater about 30 times for shows and Afterwards it's a nightmare to get a cab and you'll probably have to walk with everyone else to the next destination.
  • Options
    in that area ( roncesvalle & Queen ) there are lots of cabs. I've been to the amphitheater about 30 times for shows and Afterwards it's a nightmare to get a cab and you'll probably have to walk with everyone else to the next destination.

sweet... im not worried about after the show... as i figured the strength in numbers... hotels.com said that my motel is only 1.5 miles from the venue... is that not true? i usually like to stay within stumbling distance from the venue so i can drink and not have to worry about driving...not that i am driving to toronto, which is besides the point... just want to make sure i get to and fro without getting jumped or violated in any way shape or form...
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,517
    Hello Folks,

Many things in life have changed over the last 6 years since this show but if you were one of the lucky ones to have been there that night on June 28th, 2003 I'm sure you still remember. I bring this up only because at that show Eddie said something very interesting, he said that PJ was thinking about doing a tour that next year of about 7 of the best Pearl Jam cities and Toronto would be one of them!!!! well it's been 6 years since and I know that they have been back many times but I believe we are getting that show that was talked about way back when and it's going to be one for the ages!!!!!!!!!!!

One other thing about that show in 03 was the festival of lights fireworks that went off just as they were singing Baba O'Riley. unreal!!

Molson Amphitheatre
    Jun 28, 2003
    Set 1

* Release * Breakerfall * Hail Hail * Save You * Cropduster * Dissident * In My Tree * Given To Fly * Insignificance * Love Boat Captain * Get Right * I Believe In Miracles * I Got Id * Lukin * Corduroy * Thumbing My Way * Daughter * Even Flow

Encore 1

* Bu$hleaguer * Fortunate Son * Do The Evolution * Better Man * Crazy Mary * Spin The Black Circle
    * Rockin In The Free World

Encore 2

* Baba O'Riley

sat 4th row center at the '03 show. i've never been a fan of the Amphitheatre,...of all the stories and reviews i've read over the years, i always wished the Amphitheatre here had the same vibe and appeal as venues in the States such as Alpine Valley, Mansfield, and even the Dodge Center in Hartford. having been to shows at Mansfield and the Dodge Center, i can honestly say the acoustic and sonic properties at the Amphitheatre are just plain ol' shitty. having gotten that negativity out of my system, though, i can say the '03 show was a powerful one. brought along a friend to the show who had never seen PJ live before but has always been a solid fan, and he LOVED the set, loved the energy of the band and crowd, loved the interaction between the band and the fans up front (ourselves included) and he was blown away by Lukin, hehe. i'll never forget the look on Ed's face, as he looked up and noticed the fireworks going off over and above the lawn section, it's as though he was a kid watching fireworks on the 4th of July, with a smile on his face. here's hoping for some more magic at the shitty Amphitheatre in '08,...

oh yeah, and on behalf of my friend BeerBaron let me just say: fuck the 11pm curfew!

;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    sweet... im not worried about after the show... as i figured the strength in numbers... hotels.com said that my motel is only 1.5 miles from the venue... is that not true? i usually like to stay within stumbling distance from the venue so i can drink and not have to worry about driving...not that i am driving to toronto, which is besides the point... just want to make sure i get to and fro without getting jumped or violated in any way shape or form...[/quote]

that distance sounds correct. you don't have to worry too much about getting jumped in Toronto. i lived downtown for 10 years and never once had or saw any shit go down and trust me I've not remembered how I got home many a night!! if you have never been here I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.
  • Options
    sweet... im not worried about after the show... as i figured the strength in numbers... hotels.com said that my motel is only 1.5 miles from the venue... is that not true? i usually like to stay within stumbling distance from the venue so i can drink and not have to worry about driving...not that i am driving to toronto, which is besides the point... just want to make sure i get to and fro without getting jumped or violated in any way shape or form...

that distance sounds correct. you don't have to worry too much about getting jumped in Toronto. i lived downtown for 10 years and never once had or saw any shit go down and trust me I've not remembered how I got home many a night!! if you have never been here I'm sure you will enjoy your stay.[/quote]
  • Options
    sat 4th row center at the '03 show. i've never been a fan of the Amphitheatre,...of all the stories and reviews i've read over the years, i always wished the Amphitheatre here had the same vibe and appeal as venues in the States such as Alpine Valley, Mansfield, and even the Dodge Center in Hartford. having been to shows at Mansfield and the Dodge Center, i can honestly say the acoustic and sonic properties at the Amphitheatre are just plain ol' shitty. having gotten that negativity out of my system, though, i can say the '03 show was a powerful one. brought along a friend to the show who had never seen PJ live before but has always been a solid fan, and he LOVED the set, loved the energy of the band and crowd, loved the interaction between the band and the fans up front (ourselves included) and he was blown away by Lukin, hehe. i'll never forget the look on Ed's face, as he looked up and noticed the fireworks going off over and above the lawn section, it's as though he was a kid watching fireworks on the 4th of July, with a smile on his face. here's hoping for some more magic at the shitty Amphitheatre in '08,...

oh yeah, and on behalf of my friend BeerBaron let me just say: fuck the 11pm curfew!

;)[/quote]

It's all about the beers & left handed cigarettes!!! :D
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    2003 was a great show, just the sound and curfew put a damper on the night. Fireworks were cool, and it was weird seeing the band come on just after 8 p.m. in the light. Hopefully the crowd isn't as dead as it was the first night in may 06 at the ACC!!

Hopefully the set and energy are awesome as it's only one show and it'll probably be filled with a lot of REAL fans not rich trust fund babies whose daddies got them some tix. The Amp sound is shitty and the 11 p.m. curfew is BS.....but I have faith the band will bring their best!!
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    TUTMAN08TUTMAN08 Posts: 82
    Thanks to all for the information. Just so you know there is another informative thread regarding Toronto hotels. Seems like Priceline is the way to go and that people are getting "decent" hotels for $50 - 60 USD.
  • Options
    MudfestMudfest Posts: 1,015
    ===
    "OH Canada...You are so Beautiful when you are Drunk." Eddie
    1993-08-14 Gimli Mb Motorsport Park
    03-05-30 Vanc;05-09-08 Wpg
    05-09-07 Sask Sk;05-09-04 Calg
    05-09-05 Edm Alb;05-09-02 Vanc
    06-07-02/ 03 Denver 1 + 2;06-10-21/22 Bridge 1 +2
    4/3 + 4/2/08 Vanc Vedder ; 6/24+25 MSG /Toronto 09/buffalo 10/EV Chic 1-2
  • Options
    McNairnMcNairn Posts: 284
    The venue is away from hotels and bars and what not but Toronto is totally safe and you can pretty much walk anywhere, anytime, alone or not around downtown area. 1.5 km to hotel is not problem. Just stash some travellers for the walk.
    Lots of trees and parkland around. You can walk a lakeside paved trail from the venue to downtown I think. A long walk but I'm sure it would go quickly as you decompress from the show.
    this seems to me like a heavy fan club show
    PJ could do 5 nights in a row at the ACC in Toronto at 20,000 fans/ night no problem.
    this is a hot ticket

when you are downtown - try to find even one piece of garbage on the ground
    it's incredible

Check out Toronto Island as well - I quick ferry ride and a cool place to run around
  • Options
    I was there in 03, and it was awesome. The fireworks, like some one said. The 5 minute Ed-die chant. The 28 ounce beers!. One drawback, when the show was over, there were no cabs. Me and 3000 of my closest friends made the 30 minute or so walk back to the hotel/bar area
  • Options
    DB41DB41 Posts: 539

It's not thaaaat shitty. Lots of young artists live in that area (amongst the dwindling number of friendly crackheads). There are plenty of excellent vintage clothing and book shops around there as well as a record store or two.
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:

It's not thaaaat shitty. Lots of young artists live in that area (amongst the dwindling number of friendly crackheads). There are plenty of excellent vintage clothing and book shops around there as well as a record store or two.

I lived in that area for 3 years just on the edge of parkdale and compared to where the other hotels are located it is shitty. You are correct about the vintage clothing and book shops though.
  • Options
    Deebs41 wrote:

I lived in that area for 3 years just on the edge of parkdale and compared to where the other hotels are located it is shitty. You are correct about the vintage clothing and book shops though.

Agreed, definitely shitty relative to where the other hotels are... buy they don't have the Easy Rider diner.
  • Options
    This is very true. great spot for breakfast.
  • Options
    McNairn wrote:
    The venue is away from hotels and bars and what not but Toronto is totally safe and you can pretty much walk anywhere, anytime, alone or not around downtown area. 1.5 km to hotel is not problem. Just stash some travellers for the walk.
    Lots of trees and parkland around. You can walk a lakeside paved trail from the venue to downtown I think. A long walk but I'm sure it would go quickly as you decompress from the show.
    this seems to me like a heavy fan club show
    PJ could do 5 nights in a row at the ACC in Toronto at 20,000 fans/ night no problem.
    this is a hot ticket

when you are downtown - try to find even one piece of garbage on the ground
    it's incredible

Check out Toronto Island as well - I quick ferry ride and a cool place to run around

the day of the '03 Amphitheatre show, early in the afternoon before soundcheck Ed left the venue on his bike with the intention of cycling that very same lakeside bike route. Ed spotted a couple of fans hanging around outside the venue, and asked them how to get to said bike route, but as it turned out these fans were either drunk/stoned out of their minds so not only didn't they realize it was Ed but they also gave him shitty directions because they told Ed to follow the road out of the venue and look for signs that read "Gardiner". for those not familiar with Toronto, the "Gardiner" is an Expressway which runs along the venue. Ed took the fans' advice, only to return 10 minutes later somewhat disappointed to say, and this is a direct quote "that was not the way, was it?!" lol. needless to say, Ed was later given correct directions and he peddled up and down that bike route,...
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    qwerty1qwerty1 Posts: 142
    Something Ive been thinking about;

The concert is on the first day of the CNE, right across the street. Is the 11pm curfew extended for the midway? I havent been to the EX in years, but something tells me that the noise curfew is extended for that area of town during the CNE.

Anyone know for sure?
    This sidewalk is for regular walking, not for fancy walking!
  • Options
    qwerty wrote:
    Something Ive been thinking about;

The concert is on the first day of the CNE, right across the street. Is the 11pm curfew extended for the midway? I havent been to the EX in years, but something tells me that the noise curfew is extended for that area of town during the CNE.

Anyone know for sure?

the 11pm curfew relates to a noise by-law in place, and as such is never extended,...

• Options
    RazzyLaneRazzyLane Posts: 146
    Deebs41 wrote:

So....if one were travelling to Toronto for the show and only had time to stop at one or two bookstores....which are the best to shop at? :D
  • Options
    RazzyLane wrote:
    Deebs41 wrote:

So....if one were travelling to Toronto for the show and only had time to stop at one or two bookstores....which are the best to shop at? :D

I like She Said Boom because they have a great selection of used books AND vinyl. There's one on Roncesvalles relatively close to the venue and one on College.
    http://www.shesaidboom.ca/
  • Options
    RazzyLaneRazzyLane Posts: 146
    Deebs41 wrote:
    RazzyLane wrote:

I like She Said Boom because they have a great selection of used books AND vinyl. There's one on Roncesvalles relatively close to the venue and one on College.
    http://www.shesaidboom.ca/

Thank you!! Looks like a great place. :D
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    I met Ed after that show, we hung out with about 10 other fans for just over an hour. I will never forget the conversations we had that night.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    VOLITION wrote:
    I met Ed after that show, we hung out with about 10 other fans for just over an hour. I will never forget the conversations we had that night.
    Where would one hang out after the show if one were hoping for that long-shot opportunity? :lol:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1