Options

why doesn't pj just seat general admission floor?

Comments

• Options
    CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    What a winner post.

Lets just call everyone stupid or dumb or what have you because we dont get our way
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    RM181658 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    im too old to stand for four hours, and if I wanna take a piss, get a beer or some munchies, I want to go back to my spot

plus there are too many inconsiderate and disrespectful people that show up at the last minute and try push there way to the front

ga sucks and is dangerous with large crowds.

If the band read this and knew you were actually eating while they're playing they would cry and wonder what they're doing wrong....that's a funny visual, a guy standing in front of his seat eating a sausage, bobbing his head up and down while aging ed is jumping around onstage during Go....oh man

I never said during the time when the band plays
    ga sucks because you cant leave a good spot at all, that was my point
    but I am guilty of sneaking out during certain songs I don't care for-mostly for beer or a quick piss
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Get_Right wrote:
    RM181658 wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:
    im too old to stand for four hours, and if I wanna take a piss, get a beer or some munchies, I want to go back to my spot

plus there are too many inconsiderate and disrespectful people that show up at the last minute and try push there way to the front

ga sucks and is dangerous with large crowds.

If the band read this and knew you were actually eating while they're playing they would cry and wonder what they're doing wrong....that's a funny visual, a guy standing in front of his seat eating a sausage, bobbing his head up and down while aging ed is jumping around onstage during Go....oh man

I never said during the time when the band plays
    ga sucks because you cant leave a good spot at all, that was my point
    but I am guilty of sneaking out during certain songs I don't care for-mostly for beer or a quick piss

but why would you want to leave a good spot??

and in the crowds in the Uk if you have a good spot and you are with others, those people usually have no problem letting you back to that spot.
  • Options
    Bugs29Bugs29 Posts: 96
    edited May 2009
    since we would never agree on who should stand where, let's see what the band would think.........the band generally feeds off the crowd, they feed off the ENERGY of the crowd. Is energy standing there eating and drinking? They always say they love Italy, and why? because they're active, they feel the energy and express it....and this is the point of Rock music. If you can't, then it's okay, not everyone is so expressive, and not everyone is there for the same reason either...but for the sake of keeping the band and show alive make all shows GA!
    Of course in the US they can't get rid of seating but I'm sure they would toss them if they could...
    Post edited by Bugs29 on
  • Options
    wayne823wayne823 Posts: 67
    The main reason I believe is that American venues don't allow it. I know the UC and Allstate Arenas in Chicago do not allow GA concets for insurance reasons.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

but why would you want to leave a good spot??

and in the crowds in the Uk if you have a good spot and you are with others, those people usually have no problem letting you back to that spot.
    a valid question
    to get a choice spot you need to get in early and stay put-for hours
    its just not fun to me, as I rarely go in to catch opening bands, and being at the back of the floor or a pit section, blows

its really simple, I just like having my own little space where I can come and go as I please, without the hassle of GA
    I dont mind smaller GA shows of less than 1000 people, but for big shows like PJ, I like my reserved space
    -thats all there is to it really
  • Options
    RM181658 wrote:
    since we would never agree on who should stand where, let's see what the band would think.........the band generally feeds off the crowd, they feed off the ENERGY of the crowd. Is energy standing there eating and drinking? They always say they love Italy, and why? because they're active, they feel the energy and express it....and this is the point of Rock music. If you can't, then it's okay, not everyone is so expressive...but for the sake of keeping the band and show alive make all shows GA!
    Of course in the US they can't get rid of seating but I'm sure they would toss them if they could...
    funny, because Ive seen more than a few energetic shows that were reserved
    in fact the best PJ shows Ive seen (with the exception of two-Randalls 96 and the borgata 05) were all reserved
    and Im just curious what your 10c number is, because I have this theory that those with higher numbers prefer GA while those with lower number prefer reserved
    my number isnt that great, 175XXX, but it gets me close enough
  • Options
    InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    i love GA its my only chance at getting front row (twice :) ) because i have a high nimber....and theres way more energy and more passion and fun!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I don't remember any stages shakin so much that the band was a bit concerned, in Europe. I don't think anybody should be doubting any region as far as crowd energy.

When seats start makin PJ's performance worse b/c of reserved seating, then I'll worry about it.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    DewieCox wrote:
    I don't remember any stages shakin so much that the band was a bit concerned, in Europe. I don't think anybody should be doubting any region as far as crowd energy.

When seats start makin PJ's performance worse b/c of reserved seating, then I'll worry about it.

Yeah. Where is the boot of Eddie commenting about the entire stage bouncing up and down from Europe?

Each venue brings a different crowd and a different energy. To say that a GA audience alone makes for the only fully energized crowd is beyond ignorant IMO.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    Get_Right wrote:
    RM181658 wrote:
    since we would never agree on who should stand where, let's see what the band would think.........the band generally feeds off the crowd, they feed off the ENERGY of the crowd. Is energy standing there eating and drinking? They always say they love Italy, and why? because they're active, they feel the energy and express it....and this is the point of Rock music. If you can't, then it's okay, not everyone is so expressive...but for the sake of keeping the band and show alive make all shows GA!
    funny, because Ive seen more than a few energetic shows that were reserved
    in fact the best PJ shows Ive seen (with the exception of two-Randalls 96 and the borgata 05) were all reserved
    and Im just curious what your 10c number is, because I have this theory that those with higher numbers prefer GA while those with lower number prefer reserved
    my number isnt that great, 175XXX, but it gets me close enough

have you seen the touring band DVD?? next to the IIC? this isnt a coincidence :P
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

Yeah. Where is the boot of Eddie commenting about the entire stage bouncing up and down from Europe?

Each venue brings a different crowd and a different energy. To say that a GA audience alone makes for the only fully energized crowd is beyond ignorant IMO.

well, nobody made such a concrete generalization about a whole show. For example, last summer in Boston it seemed the whole place was being torn apart (mostly because of drunk massholes:), and a few nights before that MSG was crazy as well. But having been to 6 euro shows and 6 US shows, I can say that GA makes for a different feel...i had more fun, and it seemed everyone else did too!
  • Options
    ewokpeltsewokpelts Posts: 709
    WS168245 wrote:
    The main reason I believe is that American venues don't allow it. I know the UC and Allstate Arenas in Chicago do not allow GA concets for insurance reasons.
    not true. metallica had ga shows in january
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    RM181658 wrote:
    I never understood 1 thing: how people at a pearl jam show could stand in front of their seats, bobbing their heads, and with gently bent knees, wavering their bodies to porch...I have to wonder if they have a pulse, but whatever, just don't put seats down for them anywhere near the stage...

so let me get this straight

if i'm not jumping around like a five year old epileptic on a 12 expressos, i'm not enjoying the show?

and why exactly do you or anyone give a flying fuck how someone else enjoys a show?
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Provided the crowd have a brain, and I personally think the Pearl jam crowds do.

just because the band members have brains, doesnt necessarily mean their fanbase does... isnt that evident by 99% of the crap that is posted on this board?
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    Get_Right wrote:

I never did understand that.... but anyway.... less beer, less quick pisses, more into the show.....
  • Options
    redrock wrote:
    Get_Right wrote:

I never did understand that.... but anyway.... less beer, less quick pisses, more into the show.....

I am very much into the show, but I enjoy beer when I go to rock shows, so nature calls on occasion

plus, believe it or not, there are songs that I can do without at a pj show
    Id be happy if they retired even flow for at least 10 years
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I'm personally divided on the subject, I'm in my early 30's and my TC no is 32,### so it they were seated I'm sure I'd be in the front few rows and for various reasons apart from guaranteed tickets to the show I've never quite managed to make the most of my TC as most Euro shows are GA. Having said that I love standing and being in the crowd, having the freedom to go where you want, get crushed (safely) at the front or chill at the back.
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    norm wrote:
    RM181658 wrote:
    I never understood 1 thing: how people at a pearl jam show could stand in front of their seats, bobbing their heads, and with gently bent knees, wavering their bodies to porch...I have to wonder if they have a pulse, but whatever, just don't put seats down for them anywhere near the stage...

so let me get this straight

if i'm not jumping around like a five year old epileptic on a 12 expressos, i'm not enjoying the show?

and why exactly do you or anyone give a flying fuck how someone else enjoys a show?

If you are standing there, barely moving and near the stage during some of their intense songs (especially while eating) then yes, then there is something wrong.....and why I care: you can ask the band the same question, why are they influenced by the energy of the crowd?....I'll still do my dancing but it's better when everyone around you feels it as well...this is why I love euro shows so much more, the atmosphere is more fun. But to put the issue to rest for me: it is always based on preference, everyone is different and thank god for that!

by the way: you really inflated that one with that ridiculous description; educate yourself on epilepsy so you can use it appropriately, you'll also find it's not something to be used in cheap sarcastic humor.
    Post edited by Bugs29 on
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i think simply, GA arena shows are outside the norm in the US/NA these days....not to say they never happen, but simply not so much. i like GA, i like seats....they both have advantages/disadvantages. i've been fortunate, even as a late-blooming fan (joined 10c in 2002)...i've experienced a LOT of GA and a lot of seated. i've seen pj in europe 8x and the NYC irving plaza GA show - which was as off the hook as any of the euro shows i've attended - and that includes all 5 shows in italy 2006.....all the rest of my shows were seated gigs. do remember, the verona show in 2006 was a 'seated gig' as well...and it was crazy good.....as are MSG shows ALWAYS, etc, etc. the vibe can be very different for sure....and that can be better/worse depending on your perspective as well. i'm glad i've experienced both and sure to have more in the future. seated is just 'easier' in general, but doesn't mean it can be still just as crazy-good as a GA show. i DO think it is very much what you grow accustomed to that comes into play a LOT in regards to preferences.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    My 380xxx in Australia basically comes out to be the equivalent of 160xxx in America, and the experience, not having actually been to a US show, I'd say is about the same in terms of crowd involvement in a reserved seating arrangement.

The GA in Europe is a whole other matter. While no one really stopped me from being hyperactive in the Aussie reserved seating, the GA made me feel as one with the crowd instead of just me on me own (plus the 1 or 6 people I know around me). I haven't really been to a seated show that I can say the same for.

GA isn't necessarily the slam-n-dance crowd. My experiences in London and Dusseldorf, all of 3 days apart, couldn't be any more different, going from 2nd row in front of Mike with fairly sedate mates to 9th row Ed with a full on circle pit. Mind you, these 'rows' in GA mean only how many lines of people are there between your body and the barrier, never having much more than 3 inches (if that) between one row and another.

PJ is PJ- I'll go see them wherever my money can take me, but reserved seating will never be the same again, having experiences European GA.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    LL624LL624 Posts: 43
    Nah....I'll take seats please. :D I got this thing about my personal space...get outta my bubble! 8-) That and I'm old. And I've had way too many drunk elbows hit the back of my head.
    "Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." --Henry David Thoreau
    "Compassion is the basis of all morality." --Arthur Schopenhauer
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    I think GA is the way to go and a way to make everyone semi-happy. Actually everyone other than those always in the first 4 or so rows. If they want seats, they can have the front rows in the wings next to the stage. If they want front row in the Pit, they just have to get there a little earlier than everyone else. One of the reasons Borgata was so amazing was because it was GA and we were able to get there early and get in line so we had a great spot. For the most part, everyone around us was very cool and courteous. Of course there was a little pushing but it's to be expected at a rock concert.
  • Options
    habbotthabbott Posts: 6
    I'll take seats any day. I've done GA for other bands back in the day, and while I enjoyed it, seats might have been better. I always had to take my glasses off for GA, being 5' tall and my eyes at most people's elbow range...bad combo. Also, being 5' and pretty slim I get pushed around pretty easily and can't see over people. with seats I've found people are way more considerate to change seats with their partner so I can see better. GA has always seemed that people are out for just themselves, not caring about about anyone else.

At any rate, seats are what I choose. I like that guaranteed space, as I'm not fond of anyone's sweat other than mine or my husband's.

I am just not a fan of GA and it would not make me happy by any means to be "stuck" in the wings just because I want a seat.
  • Options
    mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    I hate GA, and I just don't go to those shows anymore. The last time I had to stand in a free for all was Lollapalooza, and I was so worried about getting bashed in the head by crowd surfers and the guys behind me throwing shit that I couldn't focus on Pearl Jam. That was officially my last big festival...

If PJ started all GA shows, I'd be devastated because all of the fun (and feelings of safety) would be gone for me. The younger guys in this message board I'm sure don't care as much about that, but as a female in her mid 30's.... it's really not a good time for me to be shoved,prodded and elbowed while trying to enjoy a concert.

No thank you.
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,312
    Why does it matter , if people bop or jump or just stand there enjoying the show everyone enjoys the show in their own personal way ,just because you like to get kicked or shoved or stepped on doesn't make it good for all ,if you wan't to go to only GA shows please do, i won't 1st of all i don't have time to sit there for 6hrs before the doors open i just don't anymore and if the band thought the same thing don't you think they would only do GA shows :idea:
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Why is it that people presume GA'ers get there 6 hours before the show?
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    habbotthabbott Posts: 6
    Hinn wrote:
    Why is it that people presume GA'ers get there 6 hours before the show?

I agree with this as well. Usually I'm coming to a show from work (if it's a weekday) or I'm driving from somewhere. I do not have time to wait 6 hours plus to be able to see. Nor do I have 6 hours to waste and do nothing. I will say that if I get to a show early, I'll sit there and crochet (was making a sweater at the latest kings of leon show I went to) which is another reason I like seats...
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    have your mosh pit at the back of the show.............no person is stopping you.

wait...........i get it, you want pj to see how into the show you are.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    J_LAWNJ_LAWN Posts: 163
    so what i'm getting from most of you here against GA is that your too old (mid 30s) and would rather have a seat? What would Eddie think?! My 50 year old parents waited 4 hours outside in december in Buffalo for a U2 concert and got close enough to touch Bono's hand! C'mon guys for a concert its nice to get a little crazy ;)