Options

going to a concert alone...

2»

Comments

• Options
    HOTRATSHOTRATS Posts: 40
    I used to back i n the day, but I was a concert taper, so It was all good. Concert tapers are great for going to shows solo just to score a good recording. Got boring, so now I always bring someone....More fun that way. :)
    “Without music, life would be a mistake.”
    -Friedrich Nietzsche-
  • Options
    ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    I ended up going to the Berlin 06 show on my own, because a friend bailed on me at the last minute. Met some amazing people there, even though I'm afraid the feeling might not have been mutual, because I had about one drink too many. :) (I'm still sorry!) However, it turned out to be one of the best days ever.
  • Options
    hollyster70hollyster70 Posts: 228
    I'd rather go with a friend but If no one will go, I don't mind. It's not like I'm going to stand there and chat up a friend during a show (HINT-HINT)...I could do that at a bar and save the money. So i say, NEVER let a single ticket keep you from going!
    Be Kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    I think the older you get, the less you care. I'd rather go with friends but I can go by myself no problems now. If alone I usually meet people, like with the Ed Ved solo in Toronto and Chicago and recently seeing Ray LaMontagne.

I used to think you would look like such a looser to go alone but that feeling has long disappeared
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    smarchee wrote:

I used to think you would look like such a looser to go alone but that feeling has long disappeared

hahaha, yeah...same with going to movies alone....a lot of people feel that way, but in reality nobody is even paying any attention to you or the fact that you are by yourself...nor would they care if you were.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    smarchee wrote:

hahaha, yeah...same with going to movies alone....a lot of people feel that way, but in reality nobody is even paying any attention to you or the fact that you are by yourself...nor would they care if you were.

yep, I don't care if I go to shows/movies alone or with someone anymore, I think you reach a certain age and all these feelings about your social standing and your social appearance to others, including strangers, goes right out of your thinking
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    I have seen PJ A total of 12 times here in Melbourne and I have been to EVERY Concert alone. None of my friends are into PJ or their music so I go by myself. Believe me i find it much better to go by yourself, cause i know from my own experiences, I enjoy myself a lot more, cause i can go as crazy as i want without any of my friends (if they were with me) looking on. And besides I find myself making friends at the concerts anyway,which is fun, cause these are people that you may end up forming long friendships with, which is awesome :)

There is absolutley NOTHING wrong with going to a concert alone at all..I LOVE IT :):)
    Melbourne 95 (x3) Melbourne 98 (x3) Melbourne 03 (x3) Melbourne 06 (x3) Melbourne 09 (x1) EV 11' (x2) BDO Melbourne (x1) EV 14' (x2) IF ANYONE HAS SPARES FOR EV MELBOURNE NIGHT 1.. OR KNOWS OF ANYONE WITH SPARES, IM IN DESPERATE NEED OF SOME.. PLEASE EITHER PM ME ON HERE OR THROUGH FB AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT!!!! MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,095
    gone alone many many times

either just as fun or more fun

don't have to responsible for anyone else buy yourself......
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    kermie13 wrote:
    I think the concert itself is not the big deal and getting there cause iam from berlin and know the way, but yes the time in between, as fowls was saying thats what i was thinking about, but who knows who you meet and talk to...

thanks feel a lot better now :P !!!!

kermie

with this fanbase, you can always arrange to meet up with fellow jammers to hang out with before/after the show.

I've been to many concerts by myself because I often have to travel to Montreal to see the bands I want to see, while I find room in my budget for a concert, my friends do not share my enthusiasm for spending $500 for ticket/flight/hotel on one show..
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    PearlJam24PearlJam24 Posts: 340
    hewy wrote:
    and really, you're never alone! haha... think of all the jamily... :D

yep thats what im banking on.

think im goin on a pj pilgrimage by myself for tornont and chicago

Unfortunately I've been a loner on the concerts I've attended the past 6 years...all PJ.

New Orleans `03
    Las Vegas `06
    San Diego `06
    LA 1&2 `06

And I will be alone for the next ones too :cry:

Vedder in Atlanta `09
    ACL `09
  • Options
    washedinblack91washedinblack91 Posts: 3,078
    kermie13 wrote:
    hey guys...i know i know its a silly question, but has anyone ever been to a concert alone??? i´ve seen pearl jam 6 times before, but my old concert buddies either moved away or are not in berlin this summer...but its my favorite band so i think i just go by myself...will be a new experience :?

kermie
    yes i've gone alone. i've seen a collective soul and live show and a pearl jam show by myself. my philosophy is, if you want to do something really badly nothing will stop you and if something does, you were never all that interested in it in the first place. this is why i'm in australia by myself and how i went to new zealand on holiday by myself, i had no one to go with but i wanted to go so i sucked up some courage and just went for it. you cant let fear discourage you from living! 8-) besides, pj fans are friendly im sure you'll meet a new friend. thats how i met one of my friends, i went to a pre-show by myself and just talked.
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    kineticjamkineticjam Posts: 154
    I went to Mansfield II 2008 alone, met some great people and had a blast!!!!!!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Hmm, i always try go with someone but i went to see Orange Goblin on my own. Was a good show but sucked being on my own. Though i went to go the merch stand and i wore my Mike McCready yellow pic shirt and the dude recognised who he was.
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,099
    funnygirl wrote:
    I went to see EV solo last summer by myself! It was fun...I always make friends...just chat it up with the people sitting near you... :mrgreen:

Oh man...think of the all the guys on this bored that would have went with ya:) heheh had to say that FG:)
  • Options
    like.echoeslike.echoes Posts: 582
    pjbugs007 wrote:
    funnygirl wrote:
    I went to see EV solo last summer by myself! It was fun...I always make friends...just chat it up with the people sitting near you... :mrgreen:

Oh man...think of the all the guys on this bored that would have went with ya:) heheh had to say that FG:)

Heh, and based on that Albany thread, I can see why she wouldn't have done that. :roll:
    nothing's changed but the surrounding bullsh1t
  • Options
    pjbugs007pjbugs007 Posts: 1,099
    They are all in heat!! LOL
  • Options
    PearlJm96PearlJm96 Posts: 83
    Been to several by myself over the years. I go to way too many concerts to worry about finding someone with time or money to join me for each one.
    9-3-98 - Birmingham
    8-7-00 - Atlanta
    8-14-00 - New Orleans
    4-9-03 - Birmingham
    4-19-03 - Atlanta
    10-8-04 - Kissimmee
    8-5-07 - Chicago
    5-1-10 - New Orleans
    7-19-13 - Chicago
    11-1-13 - New Orleans
    4-23-16 - New Orleans
    9-19-23 - Austin
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,300
    I went to The Vic and Lollapalooza by myself in 07. It didn't take long to meet up with a PJ crowd though!

Even if I go to gigs with friends, chances are we'll get split up once the jumping around starts anyway!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    I'm going to the chi town show alone and i'm not too concerned. I'm also still for a single ticket to either of the EV philly shows. I'm hoping to make some friends on this board and meet some new people! None of my friends share my love for PJ so it's hard to get them to spend 70 plus dollars for a ticket.
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i went to philly 05, camden I 06, east rutherford I 06, and was in the bonnaroo pit alone (but made friends)

if u really love music then you're there for the music...you're not scoping the place for chicks (or dudes) cuz then the concert might as well just be a bar

ive seen countless shows ranging from ben harper, wilco, and dmb to pearl jam, metallica (in november), and mmj all by myself and ive had a great time

YB
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    PearlJam24 wrote:
    hewy wrote:
    and really, you're never alone! haha... think of all the jamily... :D

yep thats what im banking on.

think im goin on a pj pilgrimage by myself for tornont and chicago

Unfortunately I've been a loner on the concerts I've attended the past 6 years...all PJ.

New Orleans `03
    Las Vegas `06
    San Diego `06
    LA 1&2 `06

And I will be alone for the next ones too :cry:

Vedder in Atlanta `09
    ACL `09
    ill be in atlanta myself as well and goin to ACL with a bud..im sure i'll see ya there.
    with this board it seems u can never really be alone :)
  • Options
    jaboodeyjaboodey Rochester, NH Posts: 90
    I drove to Hershey, PA by myself (singing my head off along the way) and went straight to work afterwards. I agree the break in between bands can be awkward, but it's a happy PJ family, especially if you have fan club tickets. I recommend going to a post that says, "Berlin concertgoers Unite" and finding out where the cool kids are hanging before and after. Or finding out via the profile info which boardmembers are local to you now.
    Don't be that drunk guy dancing a la Will Ferrell with your shirt off thrashing into other people and spitting out the words. Or do it and make more friends.
    Rochester NY '94, E Rutherford NJ '98, MSG '98
    Jones Beach 2000, Mansfield 03, Camden 03, Hershey 03
    Boston VFC 04, Halifax 05
    Hartford 06, Boston 06, E Rutherford 06
    Mansfield I & II 08, Philly Spectrum -Halloween 09! Hartford '10
    Eddie -Boston 6/16/11, Worcester 2013, Amsterdam 6/16/14,
    Quebec City '16, Ottowa '16, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2016
    London 1 2018, Fenway Nights 1 & 2 2018
    Got Id?
  • Options
    pearljimpearljim Posts: 1,306
    I've done it quite a few times and yes it's always more fun to have a fellow friend/fan with you but just hit the pre party or start talking on this board to fellow fans going to the same show(s) as you.

Lot of cool people on here.
    If you have a chance to make life better for others, and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.

Roberto Clemente.
  • Options
    PearlyOceansPearlyOceans Posts: 156
    Though I would rather have a friend coming along, I decided I'm going to see PJ in Rotterdam on my own. None of my friends are able to go to the show with me, but I really want to see them again.
    I'll feel a little akward but I'm sure I'll have a great time as soon as the show starts.
  • Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    i've gone to several concerts by myself, two of which were pj/pj-related.

Drove 4 hours to see pearl jam on 10/01/04 at the vfc reading show - by myself

drove 8+ hours to see pearl jam open for the stones at the end of Sept 05 (think it was sept 28, 05) in Pittsburgh...again, by myself
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...