Options

UEFA Champions League

qtegirlqtegirl Posts: 321
edited May 2009 in All Encompassing Trip
Second leg semi finals start tomorrow! Your predictions?

Arsenal vs Man Utd:
Game score: 1-1; ManUtd move on with agg. score 2-1

Chelsea vs Barcelona:
Game score: 0-0; Barcelona moves on on PK's
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    hoping barcelona beat chelsea. Would like Arsenal to win the competition but as long as it's not cheslsea i'm good.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    GO MAN UTD!
    I hate Arsenal!
    & Chelsea!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Hope Barcelona can beat Chelsea ... and a 6-2 score like against Real Madrid would even be nicer ;)

In the other game, I prefer Arsenal but I doubt they will make it. Man Utd is a stronger team.
  • Options
    Jesus! I turn the game on, 15 mins gone and Man UTD are 2 - 0 up!!!!??? WTF?
  • Options
    IGotShit76IGotShit76 Posts: 768
    Yeah ... WTF :evil:
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    too bad for arsenal the game got away from them so early
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Shocking sending off. Gotta feel for Fletcher.
  • Options
    HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Completely legitimate for anyone who understands the laws of the game, even if I do feel for Fletcher. Why he would go for a tackle like that at a time when the Arse needed 5 goals I'll never understand, though.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Hinn wrote:
    Completely legitimate for anyone who understands the laws of the game, even if I do feel for Fletcher. Why he would go for a tackle like that at a time when the Arse needed 5 goals I'll never understand, though.

These guys play the game as much with their heart as they do with their feet. Emotions run so high that sometimes I think the brain checks out and the body just does whatever it feels.

Wish the game could have been more even. I turned it on, looked away and Park scored. Looked away again, and Cristiano had put one in. Man U is on a roll!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    Just in case someone comes in and says no way was that a penalty, here it is. FIFA and The FA have slightly different wording, but the idea is simple.

It doesn't matter if Fletcher got the ball first- that's not part of the law. The commentators would have you think otherwise, but it's their job to commentate, not get things right. His tackle caught Cesc in a way that prevented him from moving on to the ball. Cesc would have been clear down on the goalkeeper. Hence it's an obvious chance that was cut off illegitimately, hence the red card decision.

I hate United. I think Rooney should've been booked for a cynical foul in the first half as Arsenal broke away, which the ref correctly allowed Arse to play on, though he definitely should've come back at the end of that run of play to issue a card. I hate Rooney too. But that was a case where I think the ref used his judgement to recognise the enormity of stopping someone from playing in the final. He didn't have this available to him in Fletcher's case.

Anyone who thinks that wasn't a penalty needs to take it up with the laws, not the ref's application in this instance.
  • Options
    Hinn wrote:
    Just in case someone comes in and says no way was that a penalty, here it is. FIFA and The FA have slightly different wording, but the idea is simple.

It doesn't matter if Fletcher got the ball first- that's not part of the law. The commentators would have you think otherwise, but it's their job to commentate, not get things right. His tackle caught Cesc in a way that prevented him from moving on to the ball. Cesc would have been clear down on the goalkeeper. Hence it's an obvious chance that was cut off illegitimately, hence the red card decision.

I hate United. I think Rooney should've been booked for a cynical foul in the first half as Arsenal broke away, which the ref correctly allowed Arse to play on, though he definitely should've come back at the end of that run of play to issue a card. I hate Rooney too. But that was a case where I think the ref used his judgement to recognise the enormity of stopping someone from playing in the final. He didn't have this available to him in Fletcher's case.

Anyone who thinks that wasn't a penalty needs to take it up with the laws, not the ref's application in this instance.

Good post. My hubby lives and breathes football, but he wasn't home to watch with me today. Since I'm still learning the nuances of the sport, I appreciate insight into how the game is called. Thanks again!
  • Options
    To the tune of 'That's Amore'....

When the ball hits the goal it's not Giggs it's not Scholes it's........Ronaldooooooo

COME ON UTD!!!

Good to see Arsenal crushed!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I wanted (and expected) United to win, but I didn't expect the game to be over within 11 minutes!

What a great display by Man Utd. Now, I don't think it matters whether we meet Chelsea or Barcelona in Rome...

Bring it on!
  • Options
    If we meet Chelsea may we beat them again in the final!
  • Options
    Come on Barcelona!!! (Although i do think Chelsea will win)
  • Options
    What the hell, did somebody pluck out that ref's eyes prior to the start of the match?
    Both the tripping (I know the ref had a bad line of sight but still) and the non hand ball call were just crap!
  • Options
    jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    WOW! :shock: :o :shock:
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • Options
    Having a hard time here figuring out who's most disgraceful- the ref, Ballack or Drogba. Or Terry, Captain Blue, who actually led his team to yell at the ref.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Hinn wrote:
    Having a hard time here figuring out who's most disgraceful- the ref, Ballack or Drogba. Or Terry, Captain Blue, who actually led his team to yell at the ref.

I think the ref helped them plenty with the phantom call on Abidal.

Go Barcelona!
    NERDS!
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    I´m very happy that barca won. I hated the way chelsea played defensively in the first game. That´s what they get for playing the way most football fans hate to watch a game.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    HAHA Chelsea, money can't buy you silverware, take that you arrogant pigs!
    Drogba you are a clown, Ballack you are a bully!
    Terry show some leadership!

CARN UTD!!! Bring on Barca!
    I will be late to work again just like last year!
  • Options
    HAHA Chelsea, money can't buy you silverware, take that you arrogant pigs!
    Drogba you are a clown, Ballack you are a bully!
    Be nice to Terry. He did show leadership- he led a group of his teammates to yell at the ref after the final whistle.
  • Options
    And to think that i actually considered buying tickets to the Chelsea summer tour in the US...

Nevermind!
  • Options
    davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Suarez had a couple beautiful goals today and wow, I've never seen Messi miss a penalty and then the rebound..

watch Man City score a goal in the first 10 minutes next week..youll see Suarz biting for sure!!
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Can't believe Chelsea-PSG is going into extra time here. Of course it had to be Luiz who scored the goal to tie it all up. Crazy.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    What a game. 10 men vs 11 chelsea. Costa should've been carded 5 times. But what a game.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    badbrains said:

What a game. 10 men vs 11 chelsea. Costa should've been carded 5 times. But what a game.

Ref had a horrible game all around. Missed calls all over the place. I can't believe Chelsea couldn't take more advantage of being a man up for most of the match.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

badbrains said:

Ref had a horrible game all around. Missed calls all over the place. I can't believe Chelsea couldn't take more advantage of being a man up for most of the match.
    Ya that ref was terrible. Ibra should not have gotten a red.
  • Options
    FORZE JUVE!
  • Options
    FORZA JUVE!*