The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    A little St Paddy’s Day deliciousness...

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    best beer. 
    my favorite beer in Chicago right now. 

^ Its a great one. Noon whistle has some great beers. Squishy gummy is real solid too 
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Check out Gummypocalypse from Noon Whistle.  That's my favorite of all the gummy beers...love that stuff.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Heading to Half Acre for my first time tomorrow prior to the Glenn Hansard show.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    Heading to Half Acre for my first time tomorrow prior to the Glenn Hansard show.
    Sweet! Sounds like a great day all around 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    God damn you guys have some good looking beer in Chicago. I can’t waitbfor the wrigley shows!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    You'd never make it through lent out here. Haha
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Pretty easy to pass on pizza in Chicago.
    #FHP
    edited March 2018
    Horos said:

Just look at the menu beyond the highly over-rated deep dish selections. 

Just don't tell the locals I said that.
    Post edited by darwinstheory on
    Horos said:

Just look at the menu beyond the highly over-rated deep dish selections. 

Just don't tell the locals I said that.
    It's funny how the rest of the country thinks that Chicagoans only eat deep dish pizza.  I eat thin crust 95% of the time.  Deep dish is a treat that I probably have 4-5 times per year and that's it.  
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    You eat pizza 80-100 x year? 
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    I'd say 90% is more accurate.  I prob average pizza once a week.

Back to beer...just got a nice package in the mail from SVRDhnd13.  Can't wait to try some of these IPAs from NY.
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    Horos said:
    I'd say 90% is more accurate.  I prob average pizza once a week.

Back to beer...just got a nice package in the mail from SVRDhnd13.  Can't wait to try some of these IPAs from NY.
    You got it already?! I hope you enjoy. It’s a great six pack of brews- so good I almost didn’t want to send them away haha. 

Still looking to trade NYC beers for trillium or treehouse if anyone is interested. 

On a side note, I went to other half again yesterday. I’ve now tried 66 of their beers!!!
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
    Stopped in at Half Acre yesterday for the first time. Gotta admit, I wasn't overly impressed. The vibe wasn't totally what I'm into (it seemed too bright and cheap of a set up to me, but maybe I'm snobby like that). The beer I found wasn't anything to REALLY write home about. Still but a 4 pack of Daisy Cutter but it didn't live up to the hype to me. In Chicago, I'd pick Goose Island IPA or Revolution Anti-Hero first any day.
    Stopped in at Half Acre yesterday for the first time. Gotta admit, I wasn't overly impressed. The vibe wasn't totally what I'm into (it seemed too bright and cheap of a set up to me, but maybe I'm snobby like that). The beer I found wasn't anything to REALLY write home about. Still but a 4 pack of Daisy Cutter but it didn't live up to the hype to me. In Chicago, I'd pick Goose Island IPA or Revolution Anti-Hero first any day.

Oh really??  Which location did you go to?  I haven't been to the new taproom on Balmoral yet...only the one on Lincoln.  That tap list looks pretty good to me right now!  They have really good food too.  I really miss living right by there.  

I'll always love Daisy Cutter...that's the first beer that really got me into the whole craft beer scene a few years ago.  I agree with you on anti-hero, but Goose IPA over daisy cutter?!?!?  Goose IPA is mass produced garbage!!  I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand that beer and it has gotten so much worse since AB started brewing it at their huge breweries....same with Green Line.
    severed hand thirteen

Oh really??  Which location did you go to?  I haven't been to the new taproom on Balmoral yet...only the one on Lincoln.  That tap list looks pretty good to me right now!  They have really good food too.  I really miss living right by there.  

I'll always love Daisy Cutter...that's the first beer that really got me into the whole craft beer scene a few years ago.  I agree with you on anti-hero, but Goose IPA over daisy cutter?!?!?  Goose IPA is mass produced garbage!!  I don't know what it is, but I just can't stand that beer and it has gotten so much worse since AB started brewing it at their huge breweries....same with Green Line.
    Agree 100% about Goose IPA. No comparison to Daisy Cutter. Anti-Hero is the best of the 3. Green Line might as well be piss water. 
    ^ Damn! Looks like someone had a good weekend! 
    I went to the location on Lincoln. It very well could have been that I over hyped the Daisy Cutter to myself so I expected more from it. I mean, it wasn't awful, but it wouldn't be my pick of the litter either. We didn't eat there due to the smell of sewer (in fairness, I believe it was coming from outside but it still was gross). We walked over to a place called the Bad Apple. Good food and good service. They had an expansive list of craft brews to choose from as well.

And if I may continue being honest, I have only had Goose IPA a few times in the past 2 years so I may be overstepping by bounds on that one as well. I could have spoiled myself too much on 3 Floyds, Greenbush, Burn Em' and Bells products. 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Damn! Looks like someone had a good weekend! 
    That’s from the past two weekends and yes I’ve been having a great time haha
    severed hand thirteen

I went to the location on Lincoln. It very well could have been that I over hyped the Daisy Cutter to myself so I expected more from it. I mean, it wasn't awful, but it wouldn't be my pick of the litter either. We didn't eat there due to the smell of sewer (in fairness, I believe it was coming from outside but it still was gross). We walked over to a place called the Bad Apple. Good food and good service. They had an expansive list of craft brews to choose from as well.

And if I may continue being honest, I have only had Goose IPA a few times in the past 2 years so I may be overstepping by bounds on that one as well. I could have spoiled myself too much on 3 Floyds, Greenbush, Burn Em' and Bells products. 
    Yeah, daisy cutter isn't the best beer out there, but it's just a quality, very drinkable pale ale.  Bad Apple is awesome!  Great food and an awesome beer selection.  I used to go there all the time.  Now I'm getting depressed about living in the burbs!!

Drinking 3 floyds all the time will definitely spoil you.  I saw that they are planning a huge expansion.  Maybe it will bring their prices down a bit.  Still have trouble paying $15 for a 6 pack of their stuff...
    Yeah, I was surprised by Bad Apple. My girlfriend wasn't feeling too into the menu at Half Acre and we had to get to the Glen Hansard show last night so I hit Google maps and saw Bad Apple across the street. Looked at their website and we were both pleased.

3 Floyds is planning to start the massive expansion right after this year's DLD in May. I think it is supposed to be done sometime in 2019-2020. I am a little nervous about it though. I feel like the quality of the bottled Zombie Dust is down quite a bit over the last 6 months. But it could be that I don't drink it as quickly as I used to either. I only buy their brews from the brewery itself because it was always a lot cheaper. But now it's gone up $2-$3 a 6 pack overnight....but you know I'll still drink it every time!
    Yeah, I was surprised by Bad Apple. My girlfriend wasn't feeling too into the menu at Half Acre and we had to get to the Glen Hansard show last night so I hit Google maps and saw Bad Apple across the street. Looked at their website and we were both pleased.

3 Floyds is planning to start the massive expansion right after this year's DLD in May. I think it is supposed to be done sometime in 2019-2020. I am a little nervous about it though. I feel like the quality of the bottled Zombie Dust is down quite a bit over the last 6 months. But it could be that I don't drink it as quickly as I used to either. I only buy their brews from the brewery itself because it was always a lot cheaper. But now it's gone up $2-$3 a 6 pack overnight....but you know I'll still drink it every time!

Yeah, that's a great neighborhood right over by Half Acre.  I lived about a mile north of there for 6 years and would be over there all the time.

I'll always pay for the zombie dust, but I'm much less likely to buy much else from 3 floyds these days with their high prices.  Most 6 packs of Revolution beers are $9.99 and just as good if not better than 3 floyds.  
    I’ve posted this one before but every time I drink it I like it more. I’ve been drinking a fair amount of Zombie Dust so the taste is fresh in mind. This Brickstone APA tastes just like it and it’s cheaper and easier to find. For anyone in Chicagoland or the Midwest (not sure where they distribute to), try this one out. If you’re a Zombie Dust fan, this is a fantastic beer. Curious to hear if others agree.
    I'll stan for Half Acre anytime. I think DC is the best of the readily available ChiPAs. 

I liked the brickstone APA. Its solid. I think I'm over Zombie though. Its good and I'll get a 6 pack a couple of time a year. But since its come out, so many other beers have popped up in Chicago alone, that I enjoy just as much if not more. 
    ^ what beers in particular have you been enjoying as much as zombie dust? I’m always looking for alternatives and suggestions that are just as good with similar taste. I don’t know enough about the hops to get too technical, but I believe ZD uses citra hops. I think for my tastes that kind of hop is the best tasting, but I definitely enjoy plenty of other types. 
    bbiggs said:
    ^ what beers in particular have you been enjoying as much as zombie dust? I’m always looking for alternatives and suggestions that are just as good with similar taste. I don’t know enough about the hops to get too technical, but I believe ZD uses citra hops. I think for my tastes that kind of hop is the best tasting, but I definitely enjoy plenty of other types. 
    Fist City is my go-to for a  pale ale.  Not too high ABV so you can have a few of those without getting super buzzed.  Such a great beer.

I do enjoy the Brickstone APA....haven't had that one in a few months.  I'll have to grab a 6 pack of that one next time I'm at Binny's
    ^ agreed on fist city. One of my go-tos.  For some reason the Brickstone apa just keeps growing on me and has become one of my favorites. Great value for the quality