Options

The Craft Beer Thread....

Comments

• Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    mcgruff10 said:
    Horos said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    you guys have to be the craft brewery kings of the world.
    Oregon has been at it for a long time. New breweries popping up all the time. Couple of my currents favorites are Boneyard and Block 15.
    Horos,
    I'm gonna load my car with local brews...you do the same.  Let's meet in the middle and exchange....somewhere in Iowa?
    Sounds good but I think a mail exchange would be a bit more up my alley.
    #FHP
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but Three Floyds Zombie Dust is one of the best IPAs around. 
    I may or may not have mentioned it about 22 times. I swear, you'd think I was a damn salesperson or stockholder of FFF. Their heads are definitely up their asses but fuck me is their beer phenomenal. 

If you can get to either Pipeworks or FFF breweries, try checking out Zombie vs. Unicorn. 
    I've had Ninja vs. Unicorn from Pipeworks and it is amazing.  Haven't had Zombie vs. Unicorn though...will have to try it out.  Ever lucky enough to get your hands on any Dark Lord? 
    I have a bottle of the 2016 Dark Lord but I have yet to crack it open. I have someone who is supposed to be getting me a bottle of 2017 Dark Lord as well. I'm not much of a stout guy unless they are heavy on the bourbon (think KBS).  

Never tried Ninja vs. Unicorn. That is at least canned (or bottled) I believe so I'd like to pick some up. Also want to try Pliny the Elder.
    Yeah, definitely try Ninja vs Unicorn....they sell it in 4 pack 16oz cans.  Very good stuff.  

Still haven't had the zombie vs. unicorn....I'm going to have to go on a serious hunt for that one of these days.
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,772
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere, but Three Floyds Zombie Dust is one of the best IPAs around. 
    I may or may not have mentioned it about 22 times. I swear, you'd think I was a damn salesperson or stockholder of FFF. Their heads are definitely up their asses but fuck me is their beer phenomenal. 

If you can get to either Pipeworks or FFF breweries, try checking out Zombie vs. Unicorn. 
    I've had Ninja vs. Unicorn from Pipeworks and it is amazing.  Haven't had Zombie vs. Unicorn though...will have to try it out.  Ever lucky enough to get your hands on any Dark Lord? 
    I have a bottle of the 2016 Dark Lord but I have yet to crack it open. I have someone who is supposed to be getting me a bottle of 2017 Dark Lord as well. I'm not much of a stout guy unless they are heavy on the bourbon (think KBS).  

Never tried Ninja vs. Unicorn. That is at least canned (or bottled) I believe so I'd like to pick some up. Also want to try Pliny the Elder.
    Yeah, definitely try Ninja vs Unicorn....they sell it in 4 pack 16oz cans.  Very good stuff.  

Still haven't had the zombie vs. unicorn....I'm going to have to go on a serious hunt for that one of these days.
    Is the Ninja vs. Unicorn readily available in Chicagoland? I'd definitely be up for a 4 pack.

I live in a pretty small town about 45 minutes east of where FFF is. People around here are definitely behind the times when it comes to knowing about craft beer. The best liquor store around this town still has bombers of KBS (as of 4 days ago). 

As for Zombie vs. Unicorn, I believe at this point it is only available at FFF and maybe Pipeworks.  I asked the bartender at FFF if they would be bottling it and he said he thought Pipeworks may eventually bottle it but it would sell super quick if they did. Long story short, looks like you are going to one of those breweries soon. If you're going to Floyd's during common eating hours, expect to wait an hour.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,891
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    ^^^^ empty glass (who knows a thing or two about beer) swears by tröegs.

as a general rule, I don't believe beer should contain fruit but this stuff is surprisingly good.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Burial Beer Co. has an IPA called Surf Wax.

Y'all need to try this.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:
    One of the handful of IPAs I like!  Troegs is always pretty solid.  I have a few Nimble Giants in the fridge, too.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I prefer hoppier IPAs, but this is decent and pretty refreshing.

• Options
    Yummy. 
  • Options
  • Options
    Where is that Pendleton glass from?
    New Belgium brewing.
    http://www.newbelgium.com/shop/products#/detail/2017-artist-series-globe-glass

Great looking glass!
  • Options
    Yummy. 
    So, what you're telling us is you're drinking expired beer??? ;)
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Yummy. 
    So, what you're telling us is you're drinking expired beer??? ;)
    lol, I bought a case of it for $17.  It's usually that for a 6pack!  I'll take this at those prices all day long!
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    expiration dates are over-rated.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Tried Longtrail's Space Juice yesterday. It was ok.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    Canned beer, if stored properly, lasts a hell of a lot longer than bottled.
  • Options
    That's the rumor.  No one really knows though yet.  I don't think there is a definitive study?

I remember being younger and tasting aluminum.  I know I don't taste that now.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    That's the rumor.  No one really knows though yet.  I don't think there is a definitive study?

It will last longer if it has been processed properly as well. With little oxygen in the cans.

Good canning involves  monitoring  of fill levels to be sure the cans are filled enough, but not too much.  Because of this, the exposure to air is greatly limited - so that dissolved oxygen (DO) levels are very low.  Dissolved oxygen is the biggest reason that canned or bottled (or kegged) beer goes bad.

But because bottles can expose beer to light they don't last as long on store shelves.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

It will last longer if it has been processed properly as well. With little oxygen in the cans.

Good canning involves  monitoring  of fill levels to be sure the cans are filled enough, but not too much.  Because of this, the exposure to air is greatly limited - so that dissolved oxygen (DO) levels are very low.  Dissolved oxygen is the biggest reason that canned or bottled (or kegged) beer goes bad.

But because bottles can expose beer to light they don't last as long on store shelves.
    If you have a cellar then the point is moot about sun and bottles.

The Monks didn't have cans so I'm ok with drinking out of bottles still, lol!

I do have a few BA Ten Fiddy cans that I am aging that I am looking forward to!
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I don't have a cellar. Humidity controlled crisper drawer in the fridge is the best I can do, lol.
  • Options
    The more I drink craft beer, the more I like it.
    The more I like it, the more weight I gain.
    The more weight I gain, the sadder I get.
    The sadder I get, the more I want another beer.
    The more I want another beer, the more I drink.
    The more I drink, the.....well, you get it....
  • Options
    The more I drink craft beer, the more I like it.
    The more I like it, the more weight I gain.
    The more weight I gain, the sadder I get.
    The sadder I get, the more I want another beer.
    The more I want another beer, the more I drink.
    The more I drink, the.....well, you get it....

LOL.  

It's unfortunate how much I enjoy double IPAs....can't imagine the calorie count for those is very low.
  • Options
    Ready for the weekend. The Zombie Dust and Ninja vs. Unicorn are local gems...

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    ^^^^^^^ Love me some Zombie Dust!!!!  Very nice!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Ready for the weekend. The Zombie Dust and Ninja vs. Unicorn are local gems...

Very nice!  Did you get a whole case of zombie dust?!?
  • Options
    ^^^ I wish! 6 pack limit per customer.  They just gave me the empty box to carry all my stuff. 3 Floyds really needs to release more. Increasing the supply would not drive down the prices at all.  Too many people love it and would gladly buy much more at the current price. I know I would! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    ^^^ I wish! 6 pack limit per customer.  They just gave me the empty box to carry all my stuff. 3 Floyds really needs to release more. Increasing the supply would not drive down the prices at all.  Too many people love it and would gladly buy much more at the current price. I know I would! 

Yeah, most stores only get a case or 2 of zombie dust at a time so they usually have a 6 pack limit per customer.  I gotta take a drive out to the brewery one day and buy a case.  My brother did that last year and got some zombie dust that was bottled the day before....so good.
  • Options
    ^^^ Yep. 3 cases dropped off at noon today. They were gone by 12:30 with a 6 pack limit. Crazy. I need to get to the brewery as well. I think it's like $42 a case which is an absolute steal. 
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    bbiggs said:
    ^^^ Yep. 3 cases dropped off at noon today. They were gone by 12:30 with a 6 pack limit. Crazy. I need to get to the brewery as well. I think it's like $42 a case which is an absolute steal. 
    Store near me only sells them in singles for 2.49
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    bbiggs said:
    Store near me only sells them in singles for 2.49
    Wow. Singles only huh? I feel fortunate to get 6 at a time I guess lol. I'm actually going to make the drive to Munster in the next week or two to grab a case (or more). It's not that far from Chicago suburbs. Well worth it.