JJ Abrams with a short update on The Dark Tower *spoilers*

Comments

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Going to the book store today to pick up the 1st few books.

Cant wait to dive in.

Where/how do you think Stephen King will be remembered in 250 years? I got into a convo about that last night.

I think King will be remembered somewhat like Edgar Allan Poe in 250 years. Many will laugh at that but I'm sure his stories will continue to be read by younger generations, much like young kids keep listening to Pink Floyd and Zeppelin. I could be wrong, but I think Dickens was a very popular writer in his time who didn't get the massive respect he gets now.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • BlackThirteenBlackThirteen Posts: 423
    I thought the ending of the series was good and I also liked how King included himself as a character in the story. Not many authors would dare go there but he did and did it well. I started this series in 2002 and didn't finish it till 05 when the last book came out. I would love to read all the books again before any movies are made.

I agree. I was kinda on the fence about the ending but the more I think about it the more I like it. But imo it showed that even Roland had a chance at redemption.
    I thought the ending of the series was good and I also liked how King included himself as a character in the story. Not many authors would dare go there but he did and did it well. I started this series in 2002 and didn't finish it till 05 when the last book came out. I would love to read all the books again before any movies are made.

I agree. I was kinda on the fence about the ending but the more I think about it the more I like it. But imo it showed that even Roland had a chance at redemption.

Well, why didn't we get the story of his redemption then? Why not tell the story of him finally getting there with the horn?

It's just a really weak ending and a cop out.
    rrivers wrote:

Well, why didn't we get the story of his redemption then? Why not tell the story of him finally getting there with the horn?

Well it's the possibility of redemption. It's not a definite. Use your imagination. Just an fyi you should try and refrain from the spoilers in case people are reading this thread and want to read the books. Or at least label the spoilers...
  • OneTooFreeOneTooFree Posts: 265
    Ka is a wheel

It's just a really weak ending and a cop out.[/quote]

Well it's the possibility of redemption. It's not a definite. Use your imagination. Just an fyi you should try and refrain from the spoilers in case people are reading this thread and want to read the books. Or at least label the spoilers...[/quote]

That's hilarious, use my imagination! How about King using his imagination and giving us a good ending?

Re: spoilers, I love how everyone else needs to refrain from spoiling things rather than the person who hasn't read the books yet just staying away from the thread. If I hadn't read the books and i saw this thread, I would stay away until I read the books instead of expecting other people to edit their posts for me or write "spoiler warning". I was reading Watchment in March so I stayed away from all threads and reviews of the film until I finished the book. Call me crazy, but I didn't expect strangers to edit out spoilers for me! It's not just here, a columnist I read doesn't discusss Lost anymore because people complain to him about reading spoilers even a week after an episode has aired! Now, because of DVR, we are supposed to not talk about anything until every last person has gotten around to seeing something.

Bottom line, if you haven't read or watched something stay away from threads until you have.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I think Bruce Campbell should play Roland.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

rrivers wrote:

Well it's the possibility of redemption. It's not a definite. Use your imagination. Just an fyi you should try and refrain from the spoilers in case people are reading this thread and want to read the books. Or at least label the spoilers...[/quote]

That's hilarious, use my imagination! How about King using his imagination and giving us a good ending?

Re: spoilers, I love how everyone else needs to refrain from spoiling things rather than the person who hasn't read the books yet just staying away from the thread. If I hadn't read the books and i saw this thread, I would stay away until I read the books instead of expecting other people to edit their posts for me or write "spoiler warning". I was reading Watchment in March so I stayed away from all threads and reviews of the film until I finished the book. Call me crazy, but I didn't expect strangers to edit out spoilers for me! It's not just here, a columnist I read doesn't discusss Lost anymore because people complain to him about reading spoilers even a week after an episode has aired! Now, because of DVR, we are supposed to not talk about anything until every last person has gotten around to seeing something.

Bottom line, if you haven't read or watched something stay away from threads until you have.[/quote]

...This thread isn't about the books just an update about the state of the tv show or movie jj is working on. Maybe you should learn how to read. Geez everyone has opinions and you've made yours pretty clear. You don't need keep reminding everyone. But oh wait your opinion must be more important than everyone elses. Yeah common courtesy isn't really expected on the internet. Sorry for expecting it from you. Anyway I'm done with this pointless flame war. You can have the last say because I know you'll want it. Go all out. Remember the harder you flame me the bigger your E-penis will get.

Sorry guys for going so off topic I promise if I post in this thread again it will be only on topic.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    rrivers wrote:

Some people followed the series for close to 30 years only to find that he has to make the quest again, and you thought that was good? I'd love to hear why you think that.

The reason many authors would not insert themselves in the story is that it is dumb and totally takes the reader out of the story every time the author is mentioned.

In you're opinion it's dumb, but in my opinion I think it worked. Look, the point is the author wants you to read his books and you did. He can't please everyone, but King started showing up in book 4 or 5 (I can't remember exactly) but even though you found it dumb, you kept on reading. Mission accomplished for King. I liked that it was left open. Not every story needs closure and a definite end. Reading is about being able to decide for yourself what the story means to you. I think that the people who followed it for 30 years shouldn't be dissapointed. It's like the end to the Sopranos. People dwell on the ending and how bad it was but forget that it was one of the best shows in television history as a series. It was chock full of good shit just like the Dark Tower series. I would read it all over again even knowing the end.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
    rrivers wrote:

Some people followed the series for close to 30 years only to find that he has to make the quest again, and you thought that was good? I'd love to hear why you think that.

The reason many authors would not insert themselves in the story is that it is dumb and totally takes the reader out of the story every time the author is mentioned.

In you're opinion it's dumb, but in my opinion I think it worked. Look, the point is the author wants you to read his books and you did. He can't please everyone, but King started showing up in book 4 or 5 (I can't remember exactly) but even though you found it dumb, you kept on reading. Mission accomplished for King. I liked that it was left open. Not every story needs closure and a definite end. Reading is about being able to decide for yourself what the story means to you. I think that the people who followed it for 30 years shouldn't be dissapointed. It's like the end to the Sopranos. People dwell on the ending and how bad it was but forget that it was one of the best shows in television history as a series. It was chock full of good shit just like the Dark Tower series. I would read it all over again even knowing the end.

The reason I stayed with it was because it was chock full of good shit outside of King showing up. The ending was not left open it was just repeated which is a really cool thing to do to people who have followed the story for twenty plus years.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Danimal - Bruce Campbell crossed my mind too.

rrivers - I know you are a huge King fan because I've read many of your posts from the old board on. So let me ask you a question. How would you feel about the ending if King had never injected himself into the story? It sounds like you hate both.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    rrivers wrote:
    The reason I stayed with it was because it was chock full of good shit outside of King showing up. The ending was not left open it was just repeated which is a really cool thing to do to people who have followed the story for twenty plus years.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only thing that repeated was the first paragraph in Book 1 mirrors the last paragraph in Book 7. This creates the full circle effect. Not necessarily repeating. It's like a Tarantino movie where the end starts the movie and the plot progresses throughout and at the end, you are back at the beginning again. That's what I got out of it. I don't think that the end of book 7 is repeated, I think the start of Book 1 is where Book 7 left off. I can't say for sure but I think that is where King was going with this all along IMO.

the one thing i keep coming back to is the horn...

through all the books, Roland did not have the horn which would have allowed him to fully complete his journey. it wasn't until he was back at the beginning (or the end depending on how you're looking at it) that the horn was in his hand. so perhaps, the "end" of the story is King's way of saying: "you know the road Roland will travel. you know the twists & turns he will take & the fate that will befall those of his ka-tet. but how many times has he traveled this path? how many times has he repeated the same mistakes and witnessed/allowed his loved ones to pass from this world? it is, in fact, irrelevant because Ka is a wheel and our hero now has that which will perhaps allow him to finally, once and for all complete his journey."
    Flagg wrote:

You KNOW that would be hilarious!
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

Danimal wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Well you know he had that western show on the Sci Fi Channel for awhile. I didn't watch it but I think that's where I got the idea.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    the one thing i keep coming back to is the horn...

through all the books, Roland did not have the horn which would have allowed him to fully complete his journey. it wasn't until he was back at the beginning (or the end depending on how you're looking at it) that the horn was in his hand. so perhaps, the "end" of the story is King's way of saying: "you know the road Roland will travel. you know the twists & turns he will take & the fate that will befall those of his ka-tet. but how many times has he traveled this path? how many times has he repeated the same mistakes and witnessed/allowed his loved ones to pass from this world? it is, in fact, irrelevant because Ka is a wheel and our hero now has that which will perhaps allow him to finally, once and for all complete his journey."

I like your analysis
  • vduboisevduboise Posts: 1,937
    Flagg wrote:
    Danimal wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Well you know he had that western show on the Sci Fi Channel for awhile. I didn't watch it but I think that's where I got the idea.

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. I could see him as Roland- but he feels comical- and Roland is more like a serious character. Don't know if he could pull it off
    Flagg wrote:
    Danimal wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Oh man! I totally forgot about that show! The Adventures of Brisco County Jr!!!

Hahahaha! I only said Bruce Campbell to be an asshole. (Even though I think he's great.)

He is great!

Seriously though it would have to be someone older. Like Harrison Ford's age but someone not so iconic.

How many actors in their late 50s early 60s could pull this off?
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:

rrivers - I know you are a huge King fan because I've read many of your posts from the old board on. So let me ask you a question. How would you feel about the ending if King had never injected himself into the story? It sounds like you hate both.

Hi Flagg! If King had not injected himself into the story I don't think it would have changed my feelings about the ending, but it would have made me enjoy the story more.

cropduster, you make good points. Fuzzy, I like your point about Ka being a wheel. I have always just thought that if Roland has taken this journey countless times, shouldn't the story be told where he gets out of the loop rather than just one of the many, many trips through the loop.
    Flagg wrote:
    How many actors in their late 50s early 60s could pull this off?

Rutger Hauer!!
    rrivers wrote:
    Fuzzy, I like your point about Ka being a wheel. I have always just thought that if Roland has taken this journey countless times, shouldn't the story be told where he gets out of the loop rather than just one of the many, many trips through the loop.

i would like that too, but i don't think that's the point of King's story...

HOWEVER, anyone who wants more of The Dark Tower should check out Marvel Comics' 3 Graphic Novels (The Gunslinger Born, The Long Road Home, & Treachery). they cover the travels/tribulations of Roland, Alain, & Cuthbert... the first is pretty much just the flashback from Wizard & Glass, but the next to go deeper into the history of Roland's original ka-tet and what happened to them after their time Mejis

A+ stuff
    rrivers wrote:
    Fuzzy, I like your point about Ka being a wheel. I have always just thought that if Roland has taken this journey countless times, shouldn't the story be told where he gets out of the loop rather than just one of the many, many trips through the loop.

i would like that too, but i don't think that's the point of King's story...

HOWEVER, anyone who wants more of The Dark Tower should check out Marvel Comics' 3 Graphic Novels (The Gunslinger Born, The Long Road Home, & Treachery). they cover the travels/tribulations of Roland, Alain, & Cuthbert... the first is pretty much just the flashback from Wizard & Glass, but the next to go deeper into the history of Roland's original ka-tet and what happened to them after their time Mejis

A+ stuff

I bought the first comic when it came out (I want to say Feb. 2007). I liked it a lot, the art is fantastic. I meant to just get them when they came out in hardcover all together, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. They are also doing one for The Stand which I would like to read.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i guess this isnt gonna happen after all....
    i guess this isnt gonna happen after all....

Please elaborate.

:?:

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    In November 2009, Abrams stated that he would not be adapting the series. During an interview with MTV, Abrams made the following comments: "The Dark Tower thing is tricky. The truth is that Damon and I are not looking at that right now." Furthermore, in an interview with USA Today, Damon Lindelof stated that "After working six years on 'Lost,' the last thing I want to do is spend the next seven years adapting one of my favorite books of all time. I'm such a massive Stephen King fan that I'm terrified of screwing it up. I'd do anything to see those movies written by someone else. My guess is they will get made because they're so incredible. But not by me."[21]
    Yeah, this sucks. I had high hopes that Abrams might have done it some justice. I guess Star Trek was a bigger success than he thought it would be at the time and now he is devoting more effort to it instead. I honestly don't know how this story would translate as a movie though. But I thought if anyone could do it, Abrams could.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    Yeah, this sucks. I had high hopes that Abrams might have done it some justice. I guess Star Trek was a bigger success than he thought it would be at the time and now he is devoting more effort to it instead. I honestly don't know how this story would translate as a movie though. But I thought if anyone could do it, Abrams could.

HBO is the perfect place for it.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    rrivers wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Pretty much, they would have to break down each book into a season.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    rrivers wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Pretty much, they would have to break down each book into a season.

I read a few weeks ago that HBO is adapting George RR Martin's "Game of Thrones" series.