Options

Once Again RS gets it wrong

HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
edited June 2008 in The Porch
Has the top 100 guitar songs of all time and PJ only shows up at 77 with Evenflow (1958?), behind Smashing Pumpkins for heaven's sakes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/20947527/page/32

Sorry if someone posted this already
SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    100 greatest bands or song list are fun to read, but are subjective to the editors tastes.
  • Options
    Jason P wrote:
    100 greatest bands or song list are fun to read, but are subjective to the editors tastes.
    Absolutely right; it's still amazing to me how much RS disrespects PJ
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
  • Options
    Absolutely right; it's still amazing to me how much RS disrespects PJ

Wow to have one of your songs be considered in the top 100 guitar songs of ALL TIME and that is considered being disrespectful? Your just kidding right???

Your comment is actually disrespecting "common sense".
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    they never got over the toilet paper use that Ed had for them, I suppose.

they apparently can dish it out but they can't take it........

hey if you want to play with the big boys, you had better be tough.

what losers............
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    I_Got_ShitI_Got_Shit Posts: 325
    It's Rolling Stone...the magazine that trashed Eric Clapton, broke up Cream and ripped Led Zeppelin.
    *Does not include encore of Garden and Leash.
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    How can Sleater-Kinney come before Pearl Jam?
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    Wow to have one of your songs be considered in the top 100 guitar songs of ALL TIME and that is considered being disrespectful? Your just kidding right???

Your comment is actually disrespecting "common sense".
    You're an idiot first and foremost. I didn't know I could make a comment about Pearl Jam not getting enough respect on a PEARL JAM BOARD. To have a PJ song that low and below Sleater-Kenny, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, etc. is disrespectful period. Not saying they should be number one, but seriously much higher.
  • Options
    i am a targeti am a target Posts: 803
    I_Got_Shit wrote:
    It's Rolling Stone...the magazine that trashed Eric Clapton, broke up Cream and ripped Led Zeppelin.

i agree with them on eric clapton.

however. i believe henry rollins said it best:

"rolling stone lost all credibility when it saw fit to quote drew barrymore."
  • Options
    You're an idiot first and foremost. I didn't know I could make a comment about Pearl Jam not getting enough respect on a PEARL JAM BOARD. To have a PJ song that low and below Sleater-Kenny, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, etc. is disrespectful period. Not saying they should be number one, but seriously much higher.

I'm an idiot.....clever.

You can make any comment you want and you did, I just thought it was pretty weak. To bash RS when they listed a PJ song in the top 100 is kind short sighted. I always thought the # stuff on these lists was kind of irrelavent. I consider myself a pretty big PJ fan and actually think American Girl should be ahead of Even Flow, but to say it is being disrespectful is kind of a reach. However, if this really burns you up inside, then vent on. Hope it helps.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    these lists are so full of shit......

Top 100 frontmen of all time.......Cobain always hits the top ten with Vedder no where to be seen......bullshit as ever,.

But why do we care?? Its only an opinion, you try being stuck with the pice of shit that is the NME over in the uk
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I_Got_Shit wrote:

Nice reference...
  • Options
    The P.T. wrote:
    Ugh. Even reading that band name brings memories from that tour. I avoided going in early so I didn't have to hear her screech every night. Too bad Ed felt the need for her to come on stage and ruin at least 1 song at the end of the night though.

Ha! That is pretty funny. Did you go to Philly 05 when they came out for just about the entire encore? I didn't have that much of a problem with them, I have heard worse. Good question though, worst PJ opening band? That might make for a fun thread.
  • Options
    I'm an idiot.....clever.

You can make any comment you want and you did, I just thought it was pretty weak. To bash RS when they listed a PJ song in the top 100 is kind short sighted. I always thought the # stuff on these lists was kind of irrelavent. I consider myself a pretty big PJ fan and actually think American Girl should be ahead of Even Flow, but to say it is being disrespectful is kind of a reach. However, if this really burns you up inside, then vent on. Hope it helps.

I'll vent on thank you. I am tired of coming on here and making posts and then immediately bashed for making relevant arguments. You should stay away from a Pearl Jam board where fans are going to make points that make Pearl Jam seem more relevant. Isn't that what this board is for, talking about our favorite band? You probably don't hang out here much, but we like to take on Rolling Stone a lot because of their insane lists and completely erroneous judgments.
  • Options
    I'll vent on thank you. I am tired of coming on here and making posts and then immediately bashed for making relevant arguments. You should stay away from a Pearl Jam board where fans are going to make points that make Pearl Jam seem more relevant. Isn't that what this board is for, talking about our favorite band? You probably don't hang out here much, but we like to take on Rolling Stone a lot because of their insane lists and completely erroneous judgments.

Wow!

You are tired of getting bashed for your posts??? Don't know what to tell you, if your always getting bashed, I think it is about time you realized that you might be your own problem. You said RS disrespected PJ and I kind of pointed out the ignorance in your statement.

I should stay away from Pearl Jam Boards where fans make PJ seem more relevant?? Do you speak for everyone here? I said I consider myself a pretty big fan (about 15 years and 20 shows). Yeah, PJ kicks butt, but I don't think this place should or ever be just a fan boy site. That is quite sad actually, which is more and more what I think of you (sad) after reading your last post.

I have been on the site since I joined 10C (98) and while not making it my living or religion, I check the board on a fairly regular basis, usually a lot more around tour time.

Didn't know the whole Rolling Stone thing was an unwritten rule amongst all who post here and that you were required to hate on them. How is that working out for you??? Hating on everything that might not be just the way you want it to be. Sad, very sad indeed.
  • Options
    thrakerthraker Posts: 61
    Just further proof that Rolling Stone is a bunch of burnt-out olde men trying, in vain, to cling to former glories. That magazine was smelling a little over ripe years ago.
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    thraker wrote:
    Just further proof that Rolling Stone is a bunch of burnt-out olde men trying, in vain, to cling to former glories. That magazine was smelling a little over ripe years ago.
    I find nothing relavent in that mag anymore. I've gotten it for 20 years and I'm just going to let the subscription lapse.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    thraker wrote:

...so hang on, it's a bad thing that Pearl Jam is recognised as having one of the greatest guitar songs of all time?
  • Options
    who cares. I am not going to read alot into this thread but I hope somewhere in here someone posts the video where eddie wipes his ass with RS.
    These people do things intentionaly to stir controversy. Like here it is getting publicity. Thats why they do stupid shit like making Cobain the 3rd greatest guitar player ever.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I think it is funny that My Morning Jacket's Run Thru makes the list but Porch does not.

If you listen to the jam on run thru it is totally the porch jam from the early 90's.

Oh well whatever :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    Wow!

You are tired of getting bashed for your posts??? Don't know what to tell you, if your always getting bashed, I think it is about time you realized that you might be your own problem. You said RS disrespected PJ and I kind of pointed out the ignorance in your statement.

I should stay away from Pearl Jam Boards where fans make PJ seem more relevant?? Do you speak for everyone here? I said I consider myself a pretty big fan (about 15 years and 20 shows). Yeah, PJ kicks butt, but I don't think this place should or ever be just a fan boy site. That is quite sad actually, which is more and more what I think of you (sad) after reading your last post.

I have been on the site since I joined 10C (98) and while not making it my living or religion, I check the board on a fairly regular basis, usually a lot more around tour time.

Didn't know the whole Rolling Stone thing was an unwritten rule amongst all who post here and that you were required to hate on them. How is that working out for you??? Hating on everything that might not be just the way you want it to be. Sad, very sad indeed.
    You're a douche; I don't get bashed regularly; there are several people, yourself included, who do not have anything better to do but rip on stuff other people say. If you're a Pearl Jam fan, I might have to rethink being a fan myself. Nickelback fans are looking better and better after seeing some of the inane comments by people like yourself. Please don't come to any of the shows this summer. I may have to sell my tickets if I know someone like you is in the crowd. There was no ignorance in my statement; I pointed out the truth about RS. If you want to disagree then you can, but you are wrong. There is such thing as right and wrong in this world; I know you probably will argue about the subjectivity of music, but once again you are wrong. This not a "fan boy" site, but seems to be drifting towards a place where people, once again like you, bash Pearl Jam, rather than talk about their great music and amazing shows. People want to complain and moan and say, really they aren't as great as some of you fans want to say. Well, don't listen then, if they aren't that great.
  • Options
    You're a douche; I don't get bashed regularly; there are several people, yourself included, who do not have anything better to do but rip on stuff other people say. If you're a Pearl Jam fan, I might have to rethink being a fan myself. Nickelback fans are looking better and better after seeing some of the inane comments by people like yourself. Please don't come to any of the shows this summer. I may have to sell my tickets if I know someone like you is in the crowd. There was no ignorance in my statement; I pointed out the truth about RS. If you want to disagree then you can, but you are wrong. There is such thing as right and wrong in this world; I know you probably will argue about the subjectivity of music, but once again you are wrong. This not a "fan boy" site, but seems to be drifting towards a place where people, once again like you, bash Pearl Jam, rather than talk about their great music and amazing shows. People want to complain and moan and say, really they aren't as great as some of you fans want to say. Well, don't listen then, if they aren't that great.

Man, the hits just keep coming. First I was an idiot, but now and I am a douche. Real mature (though I totally am down with the D word, unlike others that lurk around here).

Your own words..."I am tired of coming on here and making posts and then immediately bashed for making relevant arguments. "

Sounds like you bashed a lot to cry about it like that.

Your own words..."If you're a Pearl Jam fan, I might have to rethink being a fan myself. Nickelback fans are looking better and better after seeing some of the inane comments by people like yourself. Please don't come to any of the shows this summer. I may have to sell my tickets if I know someone like you is in the crowd."

This may be the most ignorant thing I have seen on this board. Oh by the way, I was going to Camden I and II, MSG II, and Boston I but I might try to go to every show and even the Beacon if it means saving the rest of the crowd from enduring the likes of yourself. Enjoy jamming to "RockStar" all summer long buddy!

You say I can have an opinion but am wrong. Wow, that is pretty open minded thinking you have going on there. However, I have already pointed out your a pretty ignorant dude.

My argument about RS stands for itself, PJ had a song on the top 100 list of ALL time, didn't get your point besides the fact your just bashing a mag cause Ed doesn't care for it. Granted the mag isn't anything what it used to be, I don't think it is all that bad and to still be around has to say something for them.

Oh and get a grip cause the whole last part of your post is just a rambling sad dribble. But hey have a blast....'Cause we all just wanna be big rockstars And live in hilltop houses driving fifteen cars The girls come easy and the drugs come cheap We'll all stay skinny as we just won't eat
    Hey hey I wanna be a rockstar
    Hey hey I wanna be a rockstar

ROCK ON NICKLEBACK FAN!!!!!!
  • Options
    Fury ThreeFury Three Posts: 32
    Rolling Stone must have some sort of rule that keeps them from making it through any list without Nirvana or Smells Like Teen Spirit in particular taking a position in the first ten.
  • Options
    is that the new issue with the girls from 'the hills' on the cover ?? yeah enough said.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    Bangers_n_mashBangers_n_mash Posts: 1,241
    uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɹ,ǝʍ 'punoɹ ʎɐʍ ɹǝɥʇo ǝɥʇ ןןɐ s,ʇı
  • Options
    tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    The funniest part of that article is they think Pearl Jam released Evenflow in 1958.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    gndcd402gndcd402 Posts: 2,558
    its your typical rock list with Nirvana ALWAYS in the top 10. Clearly, Nirvana is leaps and bounds above PJ when it came to making music, putting on shows, etc. ::sarcasm::
  • Options
    marker2727marker2727 Posts: 91
    What???? NO Mudhoney? In 'n' Out Of Grace should make this list easy. RS sucks . . . they have always sucked. Patti Smith said it best "FUCK Rollingstone".
    can't escape from the common rule
    if you hate something, don't you do it too...
  • Options
    writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    who cares. I am not going to read alot into this thread but I hope somewhere in here someone posts the video where eddie wipes his ass with RS.
    These people do things intentionaly to stir controversy. Like here it is getting publicity. Thats why they do stupid shit like making Cobain the 3rd greatest guitar player ever.

here you are, friend.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IcZ2yBcvFQ

(and yeah I mentioned that they never got over it earlier on;but I saw you said you didn't get to the other posts..........I agree.)
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • Options
    libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    RockMama wrote:
    How can Sleater-Kinney come before Pearl Jam?

that is something...

It's just a list..I really don't take RS too seriously.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.