Options

Favorite specific part of a song?

Comments

• Options
    Definitly(sorry for my english)it's the part from the song Alive: Do i deserved to be?is that the question,and is so who answers,who answers??...When i have listened this song and part i cryied.I love this song in live pinkpop :)
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    it's just ALWAYS gonna be the build up before a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw..

and then hearing that LIVE

well, fuck :lol::)
    wah
  • Options
    fleursie60fleursie60 Posts: 7
    edited April 2010
    When Ed sound checks Immortality on the Italy DVD. Sounds like he just smoked half a pack of cigs, but I love that clip

That's my fave bit of imagine in Cornice as well!! Along with the bit at the end when he's walking up the stairwell in that old building and there's the cover of Tom Petty's 'Picture in a Frame' playing.
    Post edited by fleursie60 on
    Fleur
  • Options
    I've been listening to the 09/30/09 LA bootleg alot lately and my fave part is the intro and 1st verse of Porch. initially it's just Ed jamming by himself then the rest of the band start to come in and it's just a cool, mellow start to the song before it goes crazy! Love it!!
    Fleur
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636
    the bass riff in middle of save you
    the change in all those yesterdays
    present tense
    i could be there in 33 minutes or so...live boston
    everything has chains, absolutly nothing's changed
    i pledge my greivance to the flag
    boom and mike dueling on crazy mary live
    tribute to 9 friends on lbc live
    i sense a wave , building , before it breaks
    lukin
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    Also, heard a great version of Betterman with Eddie solo in Chicago. So many, it'd be hard to name them all.[/quote]

Yah, that was a very, very awesome version of Betterman at solo Chicago show.
  • Options
    LiDurLiDur Posts: 4
    Black.
    MTV Unplugged.
    "we belong together"
    Damn near 20 years and it fucking kills me every single time.
  • Options
    PASSION76PASSION76 Posts: 136
    I've got way too many to list but at the moment the chorus in Marker in the sand.
  • Options
    beginning of Red Mosquito-also the bridge before the "If I had known then" part
    also love the juxtaposition of Life Wasted Reprise followed by Alive on 2007 Lolla bootleg
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,588
    just about any version of SOLAT....hey, na-na-na-na, hey that's something....makes me smile every time. :mrgreen:

eh oh eh o ehh
    eh oh eh o ehh....good, too!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    PASSION76 wrote:
    I've got way too many to list but at the moment the chorus in Marker in the sand.

Do you mean the part of the song right before "coming out, coming out" is sung, or the part where there's the sudden change.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    Black - mtv unplugeed,we belong together
    Black - how ed grab the microphone before i know someday
    Black at benaroya - when ed pass to the crowd to sing
    Nais in Berlin - this is for the birds..
    Nais Nurnberg '00...Mike is God..,how stone look at him..when he jams the strat
    Indifference at Manchester - thank u Manchester, thank u Greece
    Even flow - before solo when ed pass it to Mike..
    Release - ed say ,hi dad ,after a thunderstrike at Bonner Springs Kansas
    Jeremy - Athens 06 when he raise the mic for crowd sing oh oh
    Jeremy - jeremy spoken,spoken
    Alive - ny 1998 solo when Mike tag war pigs
    SOLAT - hey, na-na-na-na
    SOLAT - Mtv ,this is a song i wrote for my surfboard
    Porch - Mtv -prochoice
    Ghost - So much talk it makes no sense at all
    Sleight of hand - til he had more time, more time...time to dream, to himself,he waves goodbye, to himself
    i'll see you on the other side...
    BLACK - Madrid 07..u could be here,i could be there,but im here,fuck u in the there,its ok,its ok im with my friends,and i sing,tururutu tururu
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Any live boot when they play Indifference, it's spine tingling
    "I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune
    I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room"

Not for You at Pistoia 06 when the crowd start chanting "This is not for you" at the wrong time - escellent!

I also love the start to Satan's Bed on the State College 03 boot. Shame they fucked the song up, or should I say Ed fucked it up. :lol:
  • Options
    brisbane 2009: midway through the set, pearl jam break into off he goes. as the end draws near, eddie says 'here we go' and then the band finish as one. then matt starts a beat and not for you begins. about 3 mins in, eddie talks about how he's never heard the word 'schoolies' before. that he's heard the media giving them trash and all he could understand was the fact that some young men and woman just got out of a lot of school and they just wanted some freedom for a few weeks. great atmosphere.
    a wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw. delivered him wings, 'hey look at me now!'
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    The first one I can think of is the line " I got scratches all over my arms one for each day since I fell apart" from Footsteps off "Surfer Eddie's sunshine state". You can hear his voice slightly break and he carries out so much emotion at that point it's almost overwhelming.
  • Options
    sj.brodiesj.brodie Posts: 468
    imalive wrote:
    just about any version of SOLAT....hey, na-na-na-na, hey that's something....makes me smile every time. :mrgreen:

eh oh eh o ehh
    eh oh eh o ehh....good, too!

03/05/98 Melbourne, Eddie tags Fugazi's "Suggestion" at the end of SOLAT and it sounds cool as fuck! I'll put that down as a best moment.

Also
    Not unlike a friend that
    politely drags you down, down, down, down, down
    cool thread
  • Options
    There are hundreds of possibilities roaming around in my head, but lately it has to be the funky music for You Are. I got to hear it twice at MSG this year.
    MSG 6-24-08, 5-20-10, 5-21-10, Prudential Ctr. 5-18-10
    Spectrum 10-30-09, Wachovia 10-3-05

Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?
  • Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    listen.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S73ypK3As8I

the way the guitars come in at 2:57
    then the way the vocals come in at 3:00

:mrgreen:
  • Options
    morellomorello Auckland, New Zealand Posts: 6,212
    Hey, cool thread, good on you for bumping it rollings. I'm just snagging it to check out some of the specific bits people like & may contribute my own later. :)
    <hr>
    PJ - Auckland 2009; Alpine Valley1&2 2011; Man1, Am'dam1&2, Berlin1&2, Stockholm, Oslo & Copenhagen 2012; LA, Oakland, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle 2013; Auckland 2014
    EV - Canberra, Newcastle & Sydney 1&2 2011
  • Options
    lyearslyears Posts: 212
    Light Years - 4:10 to 4:21 (and then to 4:50)
    Hyde Park 25/06/10 - Manchester 20/06/12 - Leeds 08/07/14
  • Options
    U_it'sUUUU_it'sUUU Posts: 75
    Album versions only;
    start to porch, especially ever since I can sing along to any live version, too, and the last part (I know that I would not ever touch you-hold you-feel you-ever hold-never again)
    the ending to parting ways and the album as well, (before the typemachine scares the hell out of you) as someone else already talked about the crushing of bass and drums after "...and though he's too big a man to say, there's a fear they'll soon be parting ways" ' absolutely dark and desperate
    Bushleaguer: the clear guitars sound on the whole of the second verse and again later on, after first chorus
    the intro to hail hail - i just love Stone
    the music theme on DTE (the one the crowd has taken over now :cry: )- i just LOVE Stone
    the build up to "a wave came crushing like a fist to the jaw...." and " and he still gives his love...." this is jenious
    beginning of Sad
    "She once believed..." in Nothingman
    RVM: saw things and all the rest
    the change of tempo at the point of "...I was bitten, it must have been the devil....-...-...he's a-waiting oh..."
    faithful: M.Y.T.H. to the end
    State of love and trust: all but in particular the hey na na na na hey, that's something...
    beginning of Not for you and the first verse, I like Eddie's scornful vocal style here
    the list would go on and on but I have to use capitals for the first time in this forum to pay my respects to the singer of the most expressing, intense, powerful, self-relieving and releasing seconds of music in a song ever sung by someone:
    I'LL RIDE THE WAVE...................WHERE IT TAKES ME...........
    Young Eddie / old Eddie, you always get blown way.
  • Options
    SColumSColum Posts: 18
    Dont know if it has been said but the little bass melody in pilate before "stunned by my own reflection....." especially on a live version, I always have that part stuck in my head.
  • Options
    KingclaKingcla Posts: 26
    Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more
    than this.
    Ooh. Whoa, much more than this. Woh see the world. Much more than...
    Oh, much more than. Why?
    Reading Festival - Aug 27, 2006 ** Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007 **Shepherd's Bush Empire - Aug 11, 2009 ** Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009 ** O2 Arena London - Aug 18, 2009 ** The O2 Dublin - Jun 22, 2010 ** Hyde Park London - Jun 25, 2010 ** Heineken Jammin' Festival Venice - Jul 06, 2010 ** Manchester Arena - June 20th, 2012 ** Manchester Arena - June 21st, 2012 ** Berlin 02 World - July 5th, 2012 ** Leeds First Direct Arena - July 8th, 2014 ** Milton Keynes Bowl - July 11th, 2014 ** London O2 Arena - July 18th, 2018
  • Options
    meveretmeveret Posts: 110
    The drums that kick off Jeremy after the bass intro.
    The "YEAH" part of Evenflow.
    The part of Hard to Imagine where the guitars really kick in and Ed starts to sing "Things were different then....."
    The end of Glorified G where they sing "Life Comes...."
    The crash of guitars in Parting Ways that leads into Ed singing "Drifting Away"- Someone else pointed this out too.
    The guitar intro to Of the Girl as someone already stated.
    The first chorus of Sleight of Hand blows me away.
    The bass outro to Jeremy.
    The part of Daughter where Ed puts a lot of emphasis on the "Don't Call" towards the end of the song.
    Eddie's vocal intro to Hunger Strike still gives me chills at times even though I've heard it billions of times.
    The drums crashing over Mike's solo towards the end of Breath.
    The drums at the very start of SOLAT.
    The guitar outro to All Those Yesterdays where Ed starts to sing "You've got time to escape."
    Also the line "I'll wait up in the dark for you to speak to me, I've opened up Release me" and the end where Ed sings his heart out with the "I ooooooooooo"
    Finally as some else mentioned the guitar solo at the end of I am Mine. I always wish it was longer!!
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • Options
    JossieJossie Posts: 505
    I love on live version in Tower Records 1991 there is words in "Alive"
    "Is something wrong" she said "Of course there is" and in stead of classic words what's follows Ed sang "You play unplugged" she said "And it's driving me crazy"...
    This lovely treatment always make me smile... :)
  • Options
    lpeddlelpeddle Posts: 293
    So many of you have already mentioned some GREAT ones:
    -"We Belong Together"
    -"I'll ride the wave...WHERE IT TAKES ME!!!!!!!"
    -"Hey na na na na na.."
    -Beginning of Of the Girl (especially on Benaroyal Hall)

Some others:
    -In Do the Evolution - the guitar before Ed sings "Admire me, admire my home...". I also love the way he sings "IT'S HERD BEHAVIOUR!!" in most live versions.
    -The beginning of Go, Animal, Corduroy, Last Exit....
    -The begininng of Rearview Mirror how it starts slow and speeds up
    -When the drums come in in Betterman right before "Memories back when she was...."
    -In Come Back - "If I don't fall apart, will my memories stay clear?" Seriously makes me tear up every time!
    -"I just want to scream HELLLOOOOO!!"
    -"She's been diagnosed...by some STUPID FUCK!!!"
    -The build up in Unthought Known...to "Feel the sky blanket you with GEMS AND RHINESTONES!!"
    -The way Ed usually yells "Ya FUCKERS....he still stands!!!!!!" in Given to Fly

I could go on and on...but I'll leave it at that...for now :D
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    I have to agree with everything Ipeddle stated. Specifically "We-We belong-We belong together-together-together-yaaaeeeeeeeh." From unplugged.

My other two all-time raves from live performances are:

Pinkpop2000: Where EV screws up the first chorus and says "sorry" in between lines then procedes to rock out harder.

San Fran06: he screws up the first song and says " I forgot the fucking words. I'll be begging your forgiveness the rest of the evening."

And lastly at the same show where he blows through I Got ID and Pete Townsend's the shit out of his telecaster. Soooooooo amazing.

Great thread.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    Just reading this thread gives me goosebumps... another one i wanted to add is the entire 2nd verse of Marker in the Sand, a song that i've never felt gets enough love. That entire 2nd verse, to me, is just Eddie screaming truth at the closed-minded. Makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time... "CALLING OUT" at the end of the song hits me too
    to the universe i don't mean a thing,
    and there's just one word that i still believe,
    and it's love... love
  • Options
    WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    Well there are a lot of stuff in PJ songs that does this sort of stuff for me, but if I had to pick one it would have to be the part in "All Those Yesterdays" when Mike and Stone go into the heavy riff/groove of the song and Ed starts singing "You've got time to escape, It's no crime to escape". I mean jesus, that would give ANYONE chills, right? :lol::lol::lol:
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,458
    intro of "Inside Job"
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”