Options

Eddie Vedder Solo=Pearl Jam???

2»

Comments

• Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    bhigh901 wrote:
    It may be tough for some of us in the forum to grasp but some people would be upset if they paid that much to hear Ed Vedder and got Pearl Jam instead. There are people that don't like pearl jam but enjoy his solo work. It''s a misbilling and at $75 a pop, you just can't do that.
    i wouldnt mind pissing off the 12 in attendance that only like ed
    i met a girl at ny1 who said she only liked stone but thought she'd check out ed's show :shock:
    but yea the legality of it doesn't make it possible i guess.. but i'm no lawyer
    Actually, there is no legal issue whatsoever. Eddie Vedder is performing live with whatever band he chooses. If he just.so happened to choose Pearl Jam as his band then there would really be no legal problem. There is no contract nor guarantee as to what type of performance he will make other than most likely a length of time minimum commitment. Granted we all assume it will be a solo acoustic performance, but has it actually been worded anywhere officially that this is what is to happen?

Oh, i'm not saying it's illegal. I'd personally love it as well. I was just basically stating that if it were Pearl Jam they would call it a Pearl Jam show. It's not like it was any easier to get tix for this than a regular PJ show anyways so what would be the point?
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    It may be tough for some of us in the forum to grasp but some people would be upset if they paid that much to hear Ed Vedder and got Pearl Jam instead. There are people that don't like pearl jam but enjoy his solo work. It''s a misbilling and at $75 a pop, you just can't do that.
    Couldn't disagree more. I consider myself lucky to have seen them *only* 9 times, and I've been all over the place (both around the world and within the venue). Within the venue, literally front row at the X in Toronto in 1993 (with 50,000 of my closest friends) to as ABSOLUTELY far back as you can get at the Marine Midland Arena in Buffalo in 1996. Since then I've been about mid venue in Duesseldorf, Germany and about 10 rows back in Vienna, Austria.... all with more than 15-20k of my closest friends. I wouldn't trade any of the experiences.

But to see PJ in a more intimate setting... maybe acoustic, maybe not, but definitely a more intimate atmosphere, would be this 17 year fan's icing on the cake. It's not quite a "club" (or bar) setting which I think would be even better of course... but bottom line, $75 to see them with 1/4 the normal crowd size (or less)??? Any day.

Their fan base is so broad at this point: old, young, financially secure, the not so financially secure, etc, that I think it's not really possible to please everyone with anything they do (see tour date release thread). Clearly even the "fans" on this board all don't agree on what they would prefer.

It's an opinion, and everybody has one. Doesn't mean you're wrong, just that I don't agree! :-)

After reading your message i can't determine what you are disagreeing with. Are you disagreeing with me saying that "some" wouldn't like it? Are you saying that everybody would be 100% in to it?

Again, if PJ were going to play i think they would just call it PJ. Tickets would be the same range and availibitly wouldn't be much differnet seeing as most 10C members were shut out anyways.

note: i've seen PJ a few more times than you :P :oops:
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    bhigh901 wrote:
    I realize this.. I was just pointing out the arguement that if for some crazy and albeit extremely unlikely reason the band were trying to do warmup shows in these small theaters and selling them as Ed shows there would be no legal trouble for doing so.. I did not imply that I think this is the case.. I want a solo show, but do u think I'd be upset if.the full band were on stage?
    I wouldn't be upset either, honestly. But, I was talking to a dj from the local station pushing the EV shows, and he apparently didn't know what the shows entail from what I got from him. I don't know how I feel about radio stations telling the public to expect something that isn't what the show is about. You get a bunch of drunk people looking forward to a rock concert only to show up for a one man acoustic show, and you get trouble. I wish it was written somewhere too so the audience knows what they're in for. Surprises, to me, aren't really fair for the ticket holder.
  • Options
    Couldn't disagree more. ... blah blah blah ... Doesn't mean you're wrong, just that I don't agree! :-)

After reading your message i can't determine what you are disagreeing with. Are you disagreeing with me saying that "some" wouldn't like it? Are you saying that everybody would be 100% in to it?

Again, if PJ were going to play i think they would just call it PJ. Tickets would be the same range and availibitly wouldn't be much differnet seeing as most 10C members were shut out anyways.

note: i've seen PJ a few more times than you :P :oops:
    yeah, sorry, I ramble... I disagree that it's a mis-billing and "you just can't do that". I think maybe I responded only to that, ignoring your point about "some people" etc. I agree with the generalization that some people wouldn't like it, but disagree that a majority wouldn't dig it to see PJ "unexpectedly" in place of EV. I'm happy to agree that we disagree on that if you'd like to end it here?

What I know is that I'm going to the Palace Theater on June 8th, and 9th. From what I can tell, I'm going to be hanging out with 2800 PJ/EV fans and if we're lucky we're going to see at least one member of PJ on stage. LOL. That's good enough for me.

response to note: rock on!
  • Options
    yeah, sorry, I ramble... I disagree that it's a mis-billing and "you just can't do that". I think maybe I responded only to that, ignoring your point about "some people" etc. I agree with the generalization that some people wouldn't like it, but disagree that a majority wouldn't dig it to see PJ "unexpectedly" in place of EV. I'm happy to agree that we disagree on that if you'd like to end it here?

What I know is that I'm going to the Palace Theater on June 8th, and 9th. From what I can tell, I'm going to be hanging out with 2800 PJ/EV fans and if we're lucky we're going to see at least one member of PJ on stage. LOL. That's good enough for me.

Haha, yeah, we can do that. And yeah, i'm pretty sure most would be overly excited with it, including myself. Must say i'm a bit jealous you'll be seeing Ed as well. Have a blast though. and who knows, maybe the whole band will show up :D

I will continue to wait for LP9 and west coast dates!
  • Options

Haha, yeah, we can do that. And yeah, i'm pretty sure most would be overly excited with it, including myself. Must say i'm a bit jealous you'll be seeing Ed as well. Have a blast though. and who knows, maybe the whole band will show up :D

I will continue to wait for LP9 and west coast dates!
    heh. I missed him last year, and don't have a good excuse for it... so I jumped at the chance this time around. Not sure if it was this thread or another one where I said this, but I'm holding my breath that Mr. Harper accidentally stumbles on stage at least one night (I've already seen PJ live!)!!!
    ... waiting impatiently for LP9 as well!