Eating in a Restaurant - from a Waitress

2»

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    This is just a quick rant that I have to get off my chest and maybe it'll enlighten those of you who do this:

When you go out to eat and you're not satisfied with your meal, speak up when the waiter asks you how your meal is! You're paying for this dish and it better be exactly how you like it!

On Friday night, I talked this young mother into ordering the flatiron. Then when I asked her how her steak was, she just looked at me, did a little shrug and nod and said, "it's ok." I could tell from her body language that it wasn't "ok." This response pisses me off like nothing else! Tell me if you have a problem with your fucking meal! This is your chance to fix it, that's why I'm asking!
    So, I pushed and finally got it out of her that it was underdone, but she didn't want to send it back, she said she'd just eat around the rare parts and take the rest home. Whatever. She still tipped me 20% and I am there to make money, so it all worked out.

Maybe it is because in a lot of places people think if you send something back, the cook is going to do something bad to your food.

That's what i worry about. I hate when I go out to eat with someone who is a picky eater and has all kinds of "special requests" and you can see that the waitress/waiter is annoyed. I always think they are so gonna spit in our food..lol.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    And don't tell me maybe i suck or whatever, because I know I am a good waitress. some people just don't tip, and they get treated accordingly. Also, Karma's a bitch--you don't need me spittin in your food or whatever. It'll come around.

we dont tip over here in the uk... if we do the person deserved it.

i'd hate to be on that knife edge of thankfulness if i were a waiter over there... basically being super nice to people in the hope that they stuff $5 into my tip pot... i'd feel like a stripper to be honest.. a performing seal... kowtowing to the customer so they can pay my wages.

the US tipping system is completely nonsensical to me... i know y'all love it and shit... but to the other 94% of people around the globe it just seems dumb.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    dunkman wrote:
    we dont tip over here in the uk... if we do the person deserved it.

i'd hate to be on that knife edge of thankfulness if i were a waiter over there... basically being super nice to people in the hope that they stuff $5 into my tip pot... i'd feel like a stripper to be honest.. a performing seal... kowtowing to the customer so they can pay my wages.

the US tipping system is completely nonsensical to me... i know y'all love it and shit... but to the other 94% of people around the globe it just seems dumb.

I 100% agree, Dunk! I'd like to go the US soonish and the whole tipping thing freaks me out!!!! Fucking stupid idea!
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Yeah, I don't like the idea of tipping.

I used to work in a supermarket here in Australia for 6 years. I could say I got tipped maybe 3 times. Each time I tried to refuse it.

My point is, here in Australia me and the waiter down the road get paid about the same basic wage approx$20 per hour. Yet there is this preconceived idea that for bringing my plate of food to me, that I should tip? I can't and do not agree with this. This is why I try not to tip. Not because I am a prick, but if tipping was standard across all industries then that might change my schema.

Unless the waitress was hot of course.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pjfan31 wrote:

I used to work in a supermarket here in Australia for 6 years. I could say I got tipped maybe 3 times. Each time I tried to refuse it.

My point is, here in Australia me and the waiter down the road get paid about the same basic wage approx$20 per hour. Yet there is this preconceived idea that for bringing my plate of food to me, that I should tip? I can't and do not agree with this. This is why I try not to tip. Not because I am a prick, but if tipping was standard across all industries then that might change my schema.

The problem is waiters make about $4.50 an hour in the US and if you work at a supermarket you get about $9.00 an hour and people at the market don't get tipped.
    NERDS!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    pjfan31 wrote:

The problem is waiters make about $4.50 an hour in the US and if you work at a supermarket you get about $9.00 an hour and people at the market don't get tipped.

I understand that. But not here in Aust. It is just a tradition that has spilled over from the states I think.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pjfan31 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

I understand that. But not here in Aust. It is just a tradition that has spilled over from the states I think.

Trust me I hate tipping too ;)

I usually tend to tip more than I should, usually only when I'm drinking though. Here you'll find tipping the bartender more will result in a drink with twice as much liquor :mrgreen:
    NERDS!
    pjfan31 wrote:

that is the problem... why do restaurant customers get the raw deal just because you havent heard of the invention of the 'minimum wage' ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Posts: 15,165
    Lucky she didn't go all Gordon Ramsay on you!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    edited April 2009
    dunkman wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

that is the problem... why do restaurant customers get the raw deal just because you havent heard of the invention of the 'minimum wage' ;)

I don't think customers are getting the raw deal, I think they are getting the opposite. I mean lower wages for servers, means that prices at restaurants can be lower. If you have a good experience you can leave a good tip, and the waiter makes more money. If you have bad service you don't leave a very good tip and your dinner is not as expensive. It is like the restaurant version of natural selection. The opposite would be to have no tipping, pay every waiter the same higher wage and have meal and drink prices be higher (even if you get crap service).
    Post edited by Kel Varnsen on
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    Yeah, I've been working in restaurants for 17 years and have never witnessed a chef do something bad because food was sent back.
    maybe not a "chef"..
    i was a line cook for nearly 10 years...
    i've seen some awful stuff.

if im in a restaurant and my food isn't perfect, i'll smile and say thanks
    i takes a foreign object to ruin my time

at least the lady tipped well..all that really matters
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Always thought of it as beginning for money sorta thing.

I don't think customers are getting the raw deal, I think they are getting the opposite. I mean lower wages for servers, means that prices at restaurants can be lower. If you have a good experience you can leave a good tip, and the waiter makes more money. If you have bad service you don't leave a very good tip and your dinner is not as expensive. It is like the restaurant version of natural selection. The opposite would be to have no tipping, pay every waiter the same higher wage and have meal and drink prices be higher (even if you get crap service).

why would the prices be higher?

if a meal costs you $10 and you then tip $2 then the meal cost you $12

if there was no tipping then the meal could be raised to $12 and the staff would get a good hourly wage and not have to be performing seals for big fat men who complain about their steaks.

how much is a meal over in the US anyway... say Steak, Fries & Salad with a drink... roughly how much would that be?
    Firstly, the chef/cook does not care if you tip or not. He gets paid the same either way.

so chef does all the hard work and gets paid the same either way? seems a bit shit to me... cooks work hard... its a skilled job.

There is a family of non-tippers that frequents my restaurant. I would never taint their food because it is unethical and just plain wrong. Also, if caught, i would lose my job or worse. The first 2x I waited on them, I gave them my usual good service. No tip. Now when they come in, they are my last priority. Unless all my other tables need absolutely nothing, I don't care if they need drink refills or whatever. I don't care if the cooks try to pass off old fries or overcooked meat. (Normally, in my restaurant, i can tell the cooks if i don't like how something looks before it leaves the kitchen, and they have to fix it) I don't care if they get their food at the same time as their apps and salad--my main goal is to get them in and out, and free up my table. They never complain, but they never tip either (not just me--we've all waited on them) Why should i go out of my way, when i know it's only gonna cost me a buck or 2 in tipout? I'd rather write it off and focus on my other tables, who will tip for my good service.

so you treat people shit because they dont tip... in my system you wouldn't have to tip and so you could treat everyone the same.. seems to me that in America money talks... and if you get a customer in who gave you a big fucking tip last time then you are going to fawn all over him and neglect your other customers who dont tip as well... its rewarding the fancy cash splashers... and thats what makes it a repugnant system... some poor joe wants to take his lady out for a meal but might not have the same kinda cash flying around as Mr L.A. Wyer... so he gets 2nd rate service because of that?

pay decent wages and you'll still get decent service... the French are considered the masters of customer service in the fine dining world... this is reflected in their salary... pay good and you'll get good staff... pay a shit wage and it doesnt turn into a profession to aspire to.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    edited April 2009
    dunkman wrote:

if there was no tipping then the meal could be raised to $12 and the staff would get a good hourly wage and not have to be performing seals for big fat men who complain about their steaks.

how much is a meal over in the US anyway... say Steak, Fries & Salad with a drink... roughly how much would that be?

The prices would be higher because if they eliminated tipping and just gave everyone a 20% raise then everyone no matter how good or bad a server they are would make more money and the owners would have to pass that cost on to the customer. The way it is now if I go to a restuarant and have good service on a 10 dollar meal yes it costs me 12 dollars. But if I have fair to poor service it only costs me 10-11 dollars. With the other way you presented it costs me 12 dollars no matter how bad the service is. Now if every server in every restaurant was great at their job, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but in reality that is not the case.
    Post edited by Kel Varnsen on
    dunkman wrote:

EXACTLY!
    dunkman wrote:

The prices would be higher because if they eliminated tipping and just gave everyone a 20% raise then everyone no matter how good or bad a server they are would make more money and the owners would have to pass that cost on to the customer. The way it is now if I go to a restuarant and have good service on a 10 dollar meal yes it costs me 12 dollars. But if I have fair to poor service it only costs me 10-11 dollars. With the other way you presented it costs me 12 dollars no matter how bad the service is. Now if every server in every restaurant was great at their job, I wouldn't have a problem with that, but in reality that is not the case.

well over here if i get bad service i tell the waitress... if it continues we complain to the manager/ess and we will usually get some free drinks, or free dessert or something... but its very rare as people NEED their jobs.. especially at the moment... if a restaurant owner has to keep giving out free drinks then he'll do something about it... and rightly so... waiter/ess wasnt doing their job properly... but the family in the above no-tipping scenario are not getting treated correctly because they dont tip...

i'd love this tipping rule to come into all aspects of life... imagine being a bus driver and because you didnt get tipped you drove past someones stop, wiggled the wheel as they walked down the aisle, gave out wrong change, parked up somewhere and didnt move for 15 minutes... all the passengers would complain... but if you all tipped him big enough dough then he'd sort you out alright... mr rich man would be at home reading his papers whilst Joe Schmoe would still be 7 miles away from his doorstep cos he didnt tip.
    dunkman wrote:
    well over here if i get bad service i tell the waitress... if it continues we complain to the manager/ess and we will usually get some free drinks, or free dessert or something... but its very rare as people NEED their jobs.. especially at the moment... if a restaurant owner has to keep giving out free drinks then he'll do something about it... and rightly so... waiter/ess wasnt doing their job properly... but the family in the above no-tipping scenario are not getting treated correctly because they dont tip...

Yes, that way is sooooo much easier. And you're right -- people do their job correctly because they'll get fucking sacked if they don't. Plain and simple. Fuck tipping..... :x
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Ok, for me it's not so much that you should complain if it's not perfect but that you shouldn't give off the attitude that you dislike your meal but still tell me 'it's ok.' It's one thing to eat the meal anyway even if you're not satisfied, but don't be a dick about it when I've already asked you how it is and you lied & said it's ok. Does that make any sense.
    After reading this thread I do understand why a person may be intimidated into not complaining, but if that's the case, then lie to me & tell me it's great & leave happy. haha

hahaha.
    :mrgreen:

i agree tho, it's best to be honest.
    i mean sure, i've had some lackluster meals here or there and when asked i say it was fine or whatever....simply b/c it was no biggie, or i realize the dish simply isn't for me, etc. however.....if something is truly wrong with the meal, definitely should let them know. how else can something be improved if it is unknown to be an issue? i've really never been intimidated about making a complaint, not that i've made that many in any case......but i too think it's best to let a restaurant know if you are happy or not. that's how they get repeat customers, and customers get food and service they want too. win-win!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Fact: I love every post dunk has ever made on the subject of tipping.
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182

Maybe it is because in a lot of places people think if you send something back, the cook is going to do something bad to your food.

that doesn't really happen in real life, not in my 15+ years experience in restaurants. Maybe at McD's or something. Or maybe if you're really nasty. But a simple "Would you have this steak cooked up for me please?" will NOT result in that.

Well did you see the Dominos YouTube video of the things this guy did to pizza NOT because anyone pissed him off but maybe he thought it was funny. He stuck cheese in his nose then placed it in the pizza and I believed he farted on some pizzas too. They closed down the Dominos and santized it from head to toe then fired both employees.

I was just talking to a coworker and told me when she worked in a fancy restaurant when another waiter got pissed at someone he would rub his penis on silverware just to get back at people. So they are some sick people out there so be aware of what goes on when you go out to eat.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    If I tell you it sucks is the restaurant going to pay for it? No