Options

RE: EV tixs. Cost of touring

2»

Comments

• Options
    SB51696SB51696 Posts: 10
    My friend, before you say that an act gets 100% of merch, here is what really happens

Before Expenses, the venue gets:

30% (avg)
    CC Fees (2.5%) avg
    staffing (sometimes comes with the package, sometimes doesnt, if not, for a 2k seat venue you are looking at $2k)
    and t-shirt security, prob 2k/show for EV solo sized gig

Then there is the cost of shipping. Bands do not travel with as much merch as you think, a lot of it is "drop shipped" (always do Fed-Ex on this, UPS is not reliable for the one day you might be in town!), depending where the merch is being sent to and from, a box of 72 shirts can cost 28-80 bucks.

Then the cost, I have noticed a lot of PJ merch is American Apparel (or similar) or organic. They are atleast paying 7-9 bucks a shirt before printing and the artist(s) fees.

Now I do agree that merch is a very profitable entity for a band ( I used to be a merch manager for a national touring act), but its not as profitable as many people perceive it.
    KDH12 wrote:
    Fact...

Bands make way more of Merchandise then they do off tickets.

Ever wonder why t-shirt cost $5 and they sell it $35, and they sell thousands of them. Poster cost about $3, I would guess, and they sell them for $35.

And that money goes to the band, not shared with venue or promoter, they pay the artist a bit, have touring merch manger and then the people working the stands are often locals, working for a few bucks a free to shirt and ticket to the show.
  • Options
    just have to trust that they are doing the best they can. the $160+ price for the pairs hurts a little, but hey, thats why we make and save money to begin with, cuz its worth it. If people are that worried about the cost, dont go out for a night or two, problem balanced.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    so what you are saying is....

Eddie clears about $122.50 a show????

hehehehe...........

:mrgreen:

i think a smaller tour simply means smaller profits period. sure, if you're hitting up 30 cities, doing 45 shows you're going to make more $$$, even if charging less per ticket. whether you do 12 shows or 24, you still have to haul all your equipment and crew.....and that has built in costs. obviously, overall...it costs less to tour less and tour with less........but the more you tour, the more you ultimately make. thus, smaller tour, smaller venues, smaller profit margins. to me, that easily equates higher ticket prices. basic economics in my mind. honestly tho, i don't need to analyze the whole thing. :P to ME, $81 to see ed solo, in a very small venue = a-ok. keep prices under $100 a ticket, whether ed or pj (only pay more for charity gigs) and i am there.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow