Options

Pearl Jam is going to play Alpine Valley in 08

13»

Comments

• Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    ALPINE, ALPINE, ALPINE!!!!!

I'll chime in with the peanut gallery again. It's fucking amazing. I'll have to contribute my "Why Alpine Kicks Ass" essay some other time. I need to get my fat ass to the gym right now.

I know today was essay day about Alpine Valley. lol :D

You all know how I feel so I'm glad to see so many others want Alpine to happen. :)

I got my fat ass to Denver and hiking my weight off. So far so good and best of luck to you also. :D

I'm just a little bit buzzed tonight. lol
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,775
    an alpine announcement would make my year.
    2008 has been shitty so far. need pj lovin' at alpine
  • Options
    It really scares me when I think that has been FIVE years since the last Alpine show. It also surprises me that I remember everything that happened that day with such vivid detail, as I was certainly doing my best to kill brain cells. A return to Alpine is very necessary for the band, and I fully believe that it will happen.

I have seen the band perform at I think all of the venues that are being discussed. It's extremely difficult to compare any one place against another. To someone, their greatest experience might be tied to a specific place because they were in the front row, and caught a tambourine at the E-Center in New Jersey or something. So, there would be no other experience that could ever top that one.

So, it’s difficult to be objective.

To me, Alpine Valley is the best, simply because of the “magic” factor. It’s just a vibe that you get there that can’t be explained or duplicated. Plus, out of any venue I have ever seen a concert at, the sound is clearly the best at Alpine. Hands down, no contest. You go there KNOWING that the music will sound perfect. The fans are always great because it’s the perfect “weekend” (or two-day) kind of situation. Everyone is committed to the experience, have traveled some distance (but not too far from civilization) to get there, and are there to celebrate with like minded people. The surrounding area with the rolling hills and unique rock formations popping out of nowhere also do a lot to elevate the atmosphere. The “all-wood” amphitheater and surrounding buildings give off a real “cabin” feel, which is perfect for the kind of music that I enjoy (and the kind of musicians that play there).

I could literally go on for days about what makes Alpine Valley so perfect, but I’ll stop for now. It’s just that the way that all of the elements come together, that gives a concert performed there almost a tangible “magic” about it.

Red Rocks is amazing in that you can’t help be connected to the earth when you are there. The only problem that I have is that it’s almost too overwhelming. I’ve seen hard-core fans tuning out the music so they stare at the amazing rocks. The sound there is also great, but I would say that the vibe is a little off. It’s hard to pin down, but it feels like there shouldn’t be a stage there, and we shouldn’t be celebrating anything besides the ridiculous “only place on Earth” phenomenon that is surrounding us. I mean, people literally go to that area just to look at the rock formations. Throwing music into the mix can sometimes work, but the location has a tendency to take people out of the moment.

The Gorge is awe-inspiring. When the sun sets, it’s just like you can hardly believe that you are there. Similar to Red Rocks, it’s somewhat difficult to get the vibe of the music and the surrounding environment to sync up. It often times feels like one over powers the other, and there is always a slight conflict between the two. Pearl Jam did an amazing job trying to make this work. Also, more than any other venue, The Gorge feels like a pilgrimage. It’s ridiculous getting out to that place. It’s amazing to get their, and the environment is amazing. I would say that the sound is a little bit off, and dealing with the elements has to be something that you plan for. Overall though, I would have to say that it was my second favorite place to see Pearl Jam. It’s kind of like “Pearl Jam Mecca” or something.

I can’t even believe that you tried to throw the Tweeter Center in with these. Was that a joke or something?

LIke I said I can't comment on Red Rocks (wish I could), but otherwise I think we feel mostly the same way about these venues. I like the analogy of a pilgrimmage or Mecca type thing for the Gorge, it is a bit of a treck into the middle of nowhere - there is a lot of reward for your efforts though!
  • Options
    LIke I said I can't comment on Red Rocks (wish I could), but otherwise I think we feel mostly the same way about these venues. I like the analogy of a pilgrimmage or Mecca type thing for the Gorge, it is a bit of a treck into the middle of nowhere - there is a lot of reward for your efforts though!

I was kicking myself for not doing the Gorge in 2006. But maybe someday I'll check it out. It doesn't even have to be a PJ show.
  • Options
    I have only used this board once before but I wanted to throw this out to anyone who could verify/debunk.

I just got off the phone with TicketLiquidator after seeing on their website PJ tickets available for Lolla 2008. The person I spoke with did indeed confirm they are selling tickets for Pearl Jam @ Hutchinson Field Aug. 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2008.

No, I don't believe everything I see or hear...but wtf?
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386
    I have only used this board once before but I wanted to throw this out to anyone who could verify/debunk.

I just got off the phone with TicketLiquidator after seeing on their website PJ tickets available for Lolla 2008. The person I spoke with did indeed confirm they are selling tickets for Pearl Jam @ Hutchinson Field Aug. 1st, 2nd & 3rd 2008.

i smell bullshit....

could be the date ;-)
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options

Wait what is this now? lol