Options

Pearl Jam is going to play Alpine Valley in 08

Comments

• Options
    londonwpr wrote:
    I'd like to compare Alpine '03 to any other show PJ has ever played as one of their best. It was a magical night - great setlist, beautiful weather, amazing vibe and absolutely INCREDIBLE audience. You can't talk smalk about a place you've never been to. It was a wonderful experience. Plus, Eddie promised us a show in 2004 and we're still waiting on that...:)

Ok so Alpine 03 was better then the Vic last year, Gorge 06 night I, and Grand Rapids 06? Are you freaking kidding me? Its an ampitheatre just like Deer Creek in Indy, Blossom in Clev, the Tweeter center in Philly, or DTE in Detroit. I get that those are fun shows to see cause you can drink in the parking lot before big deal. You can drink anywhere before or after the show. I understand that the ice show was there and thats great. But I don't get how you can act like its a Holy place like the Gorge, Fenway, Lambeau, Wrigley, Red Rocks, MSG to name a few. If you want to go by promises Ed says that kind of stuff at the end of many shows. Don't get me wrong I am sure its a good place to see a show but why bitch about them playing there instead of just playing in the states period! Thats all I am saying why be so specific.
    Yellow Ledbetter is my least favorite song. Because as soon as you hear the first note you know it is time to say goodbye.
  • Options
    otterotter Posts: 753
    Were coming up on 5 yrs since they last played Alpine. Now is the time. :D

skipped s. fl. alltogether last time out. but I moved back to pa. maybe johnstowns war mamorial
    I found my place......and it's alright
  • Options
    Ok so Alpine 03 was better then the Vic last year, Gorge 06 night I, and Grand Rapids 06? Are you freaking kidding me? Its an ampitheatre just like Deer Creek in Indy, Blossom in Clev, the Tweeter center in Philly, or DTE in Detroit. I get that those are fun shows to see cause you can drink in the parking lot before big deal. You can drink anywhere before or after the show. I understand that the ice show was there and thats great. But I don't get how you can act like its a Holy place like the Gorge, Fenway, Lambeau, Wrigley, Red Rocks, MSG to name a few. If you want to go by promises Ed says that kind of stuff at the end of many shows. Don't get me wrong I am sure its a good place to see a show but why bitch about them playing there instead of just playing in the states period! Thats all I am saying why be so specific.

Were not bitching were asking for them to come back in a nice and fun way. Why do you have such a bug up your ass about it? Just cause you haven't been there and seen a show at Alpine why must you be so negative? Of course in any state would be great to see them.
    It's special cause bands like PJ, DMB , and Jimmy Buffett make it special. Maybe someday you will get to experience it. And if you can't stand these threads why did you bump this one this morning? Hmmmm?
  • Options
    Were not bitching were asking for them to come back in a nice and fun way. Why do you have such a bug up your ass about it? Just cause you haven't been there and seen a show at Alpine why must you be so negative? Of course in any state would be great to see them.
    It's special cause bands like PJ, DMB , and Jimmy Buffett make it special. Maybe someday you will get to experience it. And if you can't stand these threads why did you bump this one this morning? Hmmmm?

Someone made a comment in response to me so i responded. I don't have a bug up my ass. Last time I checked I wasn't responding to your post I was responding to. There are no need for attacks man! I think you need to relax bro.
    Yellow Ledbetter is my least favorite song. Because as soon as you hear the first note you know it is time to say goodbye.
  • Options

Someone made a comment in response to me so i responded. I don't have a bug up my ass. Last time I checked I wasn't responding to your post I was responding to. There are no need for attacks man! I think you need to relax bro.

Totally relaxed here.....bro. :)

Just when and if ever they come back to Alpine. Go check it out.
  • Options

It's a historic place. There are 40,000 rocking fans at Alpine with a gynormous lawn. I think it deserves to be mentioned with the venues you listed above...after all, this is where Stevie Ray played his last show.

I'm not saying that Alpine was necessarily better than the shows you mention above, but it should be mentioned when fans talk about incredible shows. I'll be happy with any type of tour...I just think thousands of fans would be ecstatic to see Alpine included in that tour.

Peace, man! We all want the same thing here...
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386

I get where you're coming from but theres a reason everyone who sees a show there raves about it. That show in 03 was just unbelievable, yes theres tons of biased in there cuz it was my first concert ever (i only recognized like 6 or 7 songs), but listening to that boot made me the psycho fan I am today

i would actually rather see them play there or the Gorge then wrigley or fenway or any ballpark/stadium. just not the same atmosphere
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    londonwpr wrote:
    It's a historic place. There are 40,000 rocking fans at Alpine with a gynormous lawn. I think it deserves to be mentioned with the venues you listed above...after all, this is where Stevie Ray played his last show.

I'm not saying that Alpine was necessarily better than the shows you mention above, but it should be mentioned when fans talk about incredible shows. I'll be happy with any type of tour...I just think thousands of fans would be ecstatic to see Alpine included in that tour.

Peace, man! We all want the same thing here...

Like I said its your standard ampitheatre. Just like DTE, Blossom and Deer Creek. A stage, pavillion, and lawn sounds pretty basic with exception of Stevie Ray's last show.
  • Options
    a5pja5pj Hershey PA Posts: 3,860
    man all i've seen the past week is Alpine valley 08 this alpine valley 08 that...
    How bout a North East show people, we haven't had one in a while!
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• Options
    poto101 wrote:
    I get where you're coming from but theres a reason everyone who sees a show there raves about it. That show in 03 was just unbelievable, yes theres tons of biased in there cuz it was my first concert ever (i only recognized like 6 or 7 songs), but listening to that boot made me the psycho fan I am today

i would actually rather see them play there or the Gorge then wrigley or fenway or any ballpark/stadium. just not the same atmosphere

Are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!Ask anyone who has been to the Gorge if it is on the same level as Alpine Valley! Then prepare to have them fall over laughing you can't compare the two. I would say the only thing close to the Gorge is Red Rocks. As for atmosphere there is no way any ampitheatre can touch the Gorge when it comes that! I am quite positive many would back me on that.
  • Options
    Like I said its your standard ampitheatre. Just like DTE, Blossom and Deer Creek. A stage, pavillion, and lawn sounds pretty basic with exception of Stevie Ray's last show.

Well I doubt they will play Alpine this year. So don't worry you won't have to see this thread anymore. Anywhere will be nice to see them of course. I wish you would have been there in 2003. You would maybe understand the obsession that some of us have been feeling for them to return to Alpine.
  • Options
    Are you freaking kidding me!!!!!!!!!!Ask anyone who has been to the Gorge if it is on the same level as Alpine Valley! Then prepare to have them fall over laughing you can't compare the two. I would say the only thing close to the Gorge is Red Rocks. As for atmosphere there is no way any ampitheatre can touch the Gorge when it comes that! I am quite positive many would back me on that.

No need to attack people, chill out bro.
  • Options
    Patrick you have to have my back on this bro you know its true! If your not sure ask Mic or anyone of the other 100 people you know who have been to a show out there!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nixon in Detroit

No need to attack people, chill out bro.
  • Options
    pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    First off, I am listening to a Jack Johnson boot and he just broke into Marley's "Natural Mystic"!!!!! I need to see Jack Johnson!!!!

Allright... I have been to Alpine at least 20 times... I have been to the gorge 3 times(05/06 PJ shows), and I have been to red rocks(never seen PJ)

The gorge is AMAZING, but it is also far far away, for most people... Alpine is AMAZING! AMAZING!!! AMAZING! Alpine is awesome, the gorge is too! For some reason, it seems that every time a decent band plays Alpine, they go nuts and put on amazing shows, unless it is -30 degrees. Red Rocks is cool, great sound, great atmosphere, great location if you live in denver, but it is small. Also, every time I go to red rocks I walk right up to the 6-10th row about and sit down... it's like all GA. I saw The Black Crowes, Dylan/MMJ, and a few other shows there and never had a problem just walking up to the stage and sitting down.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick Red Rocks because it is so close to home, followed by Alpine... The gorge is nice, but it is a pain to fly into seattle, drive out to the middle of nowhere and camp, and most of the 10C seats are the reserved section. I have a good 10C number, but if I didn't stand on my chair I wouldn't have been able to see shit!

Sorry I rambled, hehe, bob.

Redeyes and Detroit... two of my good friends, both who appreciate a good live show as much as I do... lets all get along, we all just want to see PJ and would go pretty much anywhere to see them at this point...
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257

I haven't been to the Gorge and hear it's incredible. I hope to go some day. I have been to many, many shows in my day (not just PJ) Red Rocks is amazing no question...but Alpine, if not as good, is pretty fuckin' close.
    I know many people that have been to the Gorge and while the setlists may have been better, most of them still agree that Alpine '03 show is just as good if not better.
    I'm from the midwest and have seen shows all over the country and I can say without question that not only are pre-concerts at Alpine (and the shows themselves) second to none...but so is College Football Tailgating ;) SEC is pretty close Hehehe

Anyways, it just seems crazy to me to be talking the way you are about something you haven't actually experienced first-hand.
    If they play there this year, you should come tailgate with us...free beer! It'll be a good time!
  • Options
    Ok distance not being a factor which is better in your opinion atomsphere wise???
    pjtaper wrote:
    First off, I am listening to a Jack Johnson boot and he just broke into Marley's "Natural Mystic"!!!!! I need to see Jack Johnson!!!!

Allright... I have been to Alpine at least 20 times... I have been to the gorge 3 times(05/06 PJ shows), and I have been to red rocks(never seen PJ)

The gorge is AMAZING, but it is also far far away, for most people... Alpine is AMAZING! AMAZING!!! AMAZING! Alpine is awesome, the gorge is too! For some reason, it seems that every time a decent band plays Alpine, they go nuts and put on amazing shows, unless it is -30 degrees. Red Rocks is cool, great sound, great atmosphere, great location if you live in denver, but it is small. Also, every time I go to red rocks I walk right up to the 6-10th row about and sit down... it's like all GA. I saw The Black Crowes, Dylan/MMJ, and a few other shows there and never had a problem just walking up to the stage and sitting down.

I guess if I had to choose, I'd pick Red Rocks because it is so close to home, followed by Alpine... The gorge is nice, but it is a pain to fly into seattle, drive out to the middle of nowhere and camp, and most of the 10C seats are the reserved section. I have a good 10C number, but if I didn't stand on my chair I wouldn't have been able to see shit!

Sorry I rambled, hehe, bob.

Redeyes and Detroit... two of my good friends, both who appreciate a good live show as much as I do... lets all get along, we all just want to see PJ and would go pretty much anywhere to see them at this point...
  • Options
    Patrick you have to have my back on this bro you know its true! If your not sure ask Mic or anyone of the other 100 people you know who have been to a show out there!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nixon in Detroit

I'm not stupid enough to think Alpine is better then the Gorge. I've seen the pictures and heard all the stories. You can't compare it and I've never tried too. It's not even a contest. I've never been there and not sure if I ever will. How much better can the next Gorge shows be anyway? Now the next Alpine show, that to me is worth 10 trips out to the Gorge. It may happen this year or next or never. But there is always hope that maybe this will be the year. And like myself and others we are hoping for a return to Alpine. And we will keep on hoping. I'm glad I'm not the only person that hopes too. I always support other people's threads for other shows. I always took you as the same type. Lets hope we get some news about a few shows somewhere this year.

peace

And if you go to the next Alpine show. Your gonna have a great fucking time. :D
  • Options
    fuck alpine.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    1 2 3 4 OT Total

NY Giants 3 3 14 0 3 23 Final

Green Bay 0 10 7 3 0 20 OT

NYG: B. Jacobs 21 Rush, 67 yds, 1 TD
    GB: D. Driver 5 Rec, 141 yds, 1 TD

Box Score - Recap
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20080120009
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options

Considering Alpine is double in size compared to other ampitheaters, I'd say it's not very standard. Come to a show there sometime and you'll see what the fascination is. Not only is the venue kick ass, but the people out tailgating before and after the show make the atmosphere one of the best of the many venues that I've been to. That said, I'd love to go to the Gorge sometime.
    7/8/95, 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 8/20/00, 8/21/00, 10/8/00, 10/21/00, 6/16/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 6/24/03, 10/3/04, 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/20/06, 6/24/06, 6/30/06
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Patrick, you got some pics or links for pics from the 03, 00 Ice Bowl, or even the 2 night stand in 98. Maybe that will give him an idea of what it's like. Still if you haven't been there you just wouldn't understand.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 386

OKAY wow, you really had to go that far didn't ya

Where did i say Alpine was better than The Gorge?????

all i was saying is how i dont understand how you can consistantly put down alpine without having been there. I think it has been pretty clear that the three best outdoor places to see PJ are The Gorge, Red Rocks, and Alpine.

why are you hating on alpine without having been there.

like i said, theres a reason everyone who goes there raves about alpine
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    I had grass seats for the two Milwaukee shows with Tom Petty and the sound up there was horrible for Pearl Jam's set. So I need to get that taste of disappointment out of my mouth. And dammit, Alpine is cool.
    "so this is how liberty ends, with thunderous applause"
  • Options
    I've only been to two Gorge shows and that was for DMB. I've been to more Alpine shows than I can remember and hope to be able to forget a few more if you know what I mean...

As far as venues I think both the Gorge and Alpine are without peer (I'm not commenting on Red Rocks since I've never been, it looks spectacular but smaller). I think that the Gorge, straight-scenery-wise, has the edge over Alpine. The general expansiveness of the whole area is without question a spectacular backdrop for a rock concert. The stage is basically see through and overlooks a tremendous natural wonder. That being said, once darkness hits this feature is diminished dramatically. The backdrop at Alpine is still very nice with forest and ski slope in the background of the stage, as well as a few trees right on the concert grounds.

I think the Alpine "Hill" vs. the Gorge mild decline is edge alpine... I don't know exact capacities but I would think Alpine is substantially larger and looking back on the crowd there is a much more impressive experience than at alpine, maybe because of the incline but also because of the sheer mass of rock-crazy-happiness.

I think the sound is probably substantially better at Alpine but don't have any real objective way to qualify this. Alpine is in a bowl with nice overhang to enhance acoustics where the Gorge is on a stage at the edge of the world.

The wildcard between the two is probably the tailgaiting before/after experience. Pre-show Alpine wins this easily, it is the best preshow atmosphere I've ever been associated with, better than football games, other concerts, etc. Post show is still decent but people are usually fairly worn out and wanting to get out of the parking lot (sometimes a major hassle). Post-show at the Gorge is pretty amazing if you are camping on site. The fact that you just walk back to your tent and endless amounts of beer/liquor/pot, etc. ith a throng of elated fans to party into the night with is really quite fantastic. If it is multiple night shows, you get to wake up the next day (or not sleep at all) and hang all day with new friends who love the same stuff you do as well. This makes the gorge (in multiple day shows) an experience everyone should have.

For me I probably take Alpine for granted to some degree and I also love the fact that the Gorge is like PJ's backyard or something. The '03 concert was the best concert I've ever seen though regardless of venue and can't wait for them to return.

If you've never been to either venue, you owe yourself a trip to both. Having said ALL of this, I'd love to see PJ at the Gorge but really hope they come back to ALPINE THIS YEAR!!!
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I've only been to two Gorge shows and that was for DMB. I've been to more Alpine shows than I can remember and hope to be able to forget a few more if you know what I mean...

As far as venues I think both the Gorge and Alpine are without peer (I'm not commenting on Red Rocks since I've never been, it looks spectacular but smaller). I think that the Gorge, straight-scenery-wise, has the edge over Alpine. The general expansiveness of the whole area is without question a spectacular backdrop for a rock concert. The stage is basically see through and overlooks a tremendous natural wonder. That being said, once darkness hits this feature is diminished dramatically. The backdrop at Alpine is still very nice with forest and ski slope in the background of the stage, as well as a few trees right on the concert grounds.

I think the Alpine "Hill" vs. the Gorge mild decline is edge alpine... I don't know exact capacities but I would think Alpine is substantially larger and looking back on the crowd there is a much more impressive experience than at alpine, maybe because of the incline but also because of the sheer mass of rock-crazy-happiness.

I think the sound is probably substantially better at Alpine but don't have any real objective way to qualify this. Alpine is in a bowl with nice overhang to enhance acoustics where the Gorge is on a stage at the edge of the world.

The wildcard between the two is probably the tailgaiting before/after experience. Pre-show Alpine wins this easily, it is the best preshow atmosphere I've ever been associated with, better than football games, other concerts, etc. Post show is still decent but people are usually fairly worn out and wanting to get out of the parking lot (sometimes a major hassle). Post-show at the Gorge is pretty amazing if you are camping on site. The fact that you just walk back to your tent and endless amounts of beer/liquor/pot, etc. ith a throng of elated fans to party into the night with is really quite fantastic. If it is multiple night shows, you get to wake up the next day (or not sleep at all) and hang all day with new friends who love the same stuff you do as well. This makes the gorge (in multiple day shows) an experience everyone should have.

For me I probably take Alpine for granted to some degree and I also love the fact that the Gorge is like PJ's backyard or something. The '03 concert was the best concert I've ever seen though regardless of venue and can't wait for them to return.

If you've never been to either venue, you owe yourself a trip to both. Having said ALL of this, I'd love to see PJ at the Gorge but really hope they come back to ALPINE THIS YEAR!!!

Thank you for your wonderful imput. :)

I've not seen a concert at the Gorge but maybe someday. I find it interesting that people who have not seen a show at Alpine bash it. What's the point of that?

Anyway great post and thanks again for sharing. :D
  • Options
    It really scares me when I think that has been FIVE years since the last Alpine show. It also surprises me that I remember everything that happened that day with such vivid detail, as I was certainly doing my best to kill brain cells. A return to Alpine is very necessary for the band, and I fully believe that it will happen.

I have seen the band perform at I think all of the venues that are being discussed. It's extremely difficult to compare any one place against another. To someone, their greatest experience might be tied to a specific place because they were in the front row, and caught a tambourine at the E-Center in New Jersey or something. So, there would be no other experience that could ever top that one.

So, it’s difficult to be objective.

To me, Alpine Valley is the best, simply because of the “magic” factor. It’s just a vibe that you get there that can’t be explained or duplicated. Plus, out of any venue I have ever seen a concert at, the sound is clearly the best at Alpine. Hands down, no contest. You go there KNOWING that the music will sound perfect. The fans are always great because it’s the perfect “weekend” (or two-day) kind of situation. Everyone is committed to the experience, have traveled some distance (but not too far from civilization) to get there, and are there to celebrate with like minded people. The surrounding area with the rolling hills and unique rock formations popping out of nowhere also do a lot to elevate the atmosphere. The “all-wood” amphitheater and surrounding buildings give off a real “cabin” feel, which is perfect for the kind of music that I enjoy (and the kind of musicians that play there).

I could literally go on for days about what makes Alpine Valley so perfect, but I’ll stop for now. It’s just that the way that all of the elements come together, that gives a concert performed there almost a tangible “magic” about it.

Red Rocks is amazing in that you can’t help be connected to the earth when you are there. The only problem that I have is that it’s almost too overwhelming. I’ve seen hard-core fans tuning out the music so they stare at the amazing rocks. The sound there is also great, but I would say that the vibe is a little off. It’s hard to pin down, but it feels like there shouldn’t be a stage there, and we shouldn’t be celebrating anything besides the ridiculous “only place on Earth” phenomenon that is surrounding us. I mean, people literally go to that area just to look at the rock formations. Throwing music into the mix can sometimes work, but the location has a tendency to take people out of the moment.

The Gorge is awe-inspiring. When the sun sets, it’s just like you can hardly believe that you are there. Similar to Red Rocks, it’s somewhat difficult to get the vibe of the music and the surrounding environment to sync up. It often times feels like one over powers the other, and there is always a slight conflict between the two. Pearl Jam did an amazing job trying to make this work. Also, more than any other venue, The Gorge feels like a pilgrimage. It’s ridiculous getting out to that place. It’s amazing to get their, and the environment is amazing. I would say that the sound is a little bit off, and dealing with the elements has to be something that you plan for. Overall though, I would have to say that it was my second favorite place to see Pearl Jam. It’s kind of like “Pearl Jam Mecca” or something.

I can’t even believe that you tried to throw the Tweeter Center in with these. Was that a joke or something?
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    It really scares me when I think that has been FIVE years since the last Alpine show. It also surprises me that I remember everything that happened that day with such vivid detail, as I was certainly doing my best to kill brain cells. A return to Alpine is very necessary for the band, and I fully believe that it will happen.

I have seen the band perform at I think all of the venues that are being discussed. It's extremely difficult to compare any one place against another. To someone, their greatest experience might be tied to a specific place because they were in the front row, and caught a tambourine at the E-Center in New Jersey or something. So, there would be no other experience that could ever top that one.

So, it’s difficult to be objective.

To me, Alpine Valley is the best, simply because of the “magic” factor. It’s just a vibe that you get there that can’t be explained or duplicated. Plus, out of any venue I have ever seen a concert at, the sound is clearly the best at Alpine. Hands down, no contest. You go there KNOWING that the music will sound perfect. The fans are always great because it’s the perfect “weekend” (or two-day) kind of situation. Everyone is committed to the experience, have traveled some distance (but not too far from civilization) to get there, and are there to celebrate with like minded people. The surrounding area with the rolling hills and unique rock formations popping out of nowhere also do a lot to elevate the atmosphere. The “all-wood” amphitheater and surrounding buildings give off a real “cabin” feel, which is perfect for the kind of music that I enjoy (and the kind of musicians that play there).

I could literally go on for days about what makes Alpine Valley so perfect, but I’ll stop for now. It’s just that the way that all of the elements come together, that gives a concert performed there almost a tangible “magic” about it.

Red Rocks is amazing in that you can’t help be connected to the earth when you are there. The only problem that I have is that it’s almost too overwhelming. I’ve seen hard-core fans tuning out the music so they stare at the amazing rocks. The sound there is also great, but I would say that the vibe is a little off. It’s hard to pin down, but it feels like there shouldn’t be a stage there, and we shouldn’t be celebrating anything besides the ridiculous “only place on Earth” phenomenon that is surrounding us. I mean, people literally go to that area just to look at the rock formations. Throwing music into the mix can sometimes work, but the location has a tendency to take people out of the moment.

The Gorge is awe-inspiring. When the sun sets, it’s just like you can hardly believe that you are there. Similar to Red Rocks, it’s somewhat difficult to get the vibe of the music and the surrounding environment to sync up. It often times feels like one over powers the other, and there is always a slight conflict between the two. Pearl Jam did an amazing job trying to make this work. Also, more than any other venue, The Gorge feels like a pilgrimage. It’s ridiculous getting out to that place. It’s amazing to get their, and the environment is amazing. I would say that the sound is a little bit off, and dealing with the elements has to be something that you plan for. Overall though, I would have to say that it was my second favorite place to see Pearl Jam. It’s kind of like “Pearl Jam Mecca” or something.

I can’t even believe that you tried to throw the Tweeter Center in with these. Was that a joke or something?

Another great post. :)

I remember so much about that June 21st 2003 show at Alpine. I as well was doing alot to kill brain cells that day. lol The sunset was just beautiful and something I'll never forget. It was the best crowd I've ever been apart of. :)
  • Options
    patrick me and you buddy...next gorge show.

i'll swing by denver and pick you up on the way.

we'll put the gorge vs. apline argument to rest. one way or the other. and hell if i am coming your way. we might as well see a red rocks show too. i hear that place is great too.

:)
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    indifferentmanindifferentman Goshen, IN Posts: 731
    ALPINE, ALPINE, ALPINE!!!!!

I'll chime in with the peanut gallery again. It's fucking amazing. I'll have to contribute my "Why Alpine Kicks Ass" essay some other time. I need to get my fat ass to the gym right now.
    I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind - E.V.
    06 Chicago I, 06 Chicago II, 06 Grand Rapids, 07 Lollapalloza, 08 DC, 08 MSG I, 08 MSG II, 08 EV Solo Milwaukee, Chicago I & II 09, Portland 09, Nobelsville 10, Cleveland 10, PJ20 I & II, Wrigley 13, Brooklyn I & II '13, St. Paul 14, Moline 14, Milwaukee 14
  • Options
    RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    I am in full support of this motion! So, I second it and move for a vote...

...all in favor?
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)