Broncos trade Jay Cutler to the Bears

OneTooFreeOneTooFree Posts: 265
edited January 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373
The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, a source told ESPN.com.

The Broncos confirmed the move.

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, a source said.

To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a third-round pick in 2009.

The Bears beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices.

Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.

Cutler had not returned phone calls from the Broncos, according to the team, and had been staying away from the offseason program.

wow... giving up an awful lot for the kid
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    Way too much.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • OneTooFreeOneTooFree Posts: 265
    i was kind of hoping Sexy Rexy would be going to Denver instead of Neckbeard...

my friends in Denver would have gotten so much shit from me over that

:lol:
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    HOLY F'N SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so un-Bears like!

WOW!
  • Wow the bears gave up a shit load. I can see Orton and maybe a first rounder but 2 first rounders and a second??

If I were McDaniels i would give Chris Simms a chance to battle Orton for the Denver Qb job. I grew up with Simms and he can be nasty. Killer arm. Just needs the right opp.

I'd love to hear a bronco fan reaction???
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    I LOVE THIS TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To the non-Bears fans, this may seem like giving up a shitload. But it doesnt matter with all the QB issues we've had over the years.

Angelo finally grew a set and made a move. Thank God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mca47 wrote:
    HOLY F'N SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is so un-Bears like!

WOW!

So un-Bears like!

I thought my friend was fucking with me when he texted me the news, but then my phone started blowing up like crazy so I knew it was true! I am so pumped right now!

To the non-Bears fans, this may seem like giving up a shitload. But it doesnt matter with all the QB issues we've had over the years.

Bears also signed Orlando Pace too.

I love this deal!
    The gave up a first rd (18th overall pick) and a 3rd (they have two 3rd rd picks anyways) and Orton.

I can handle that for a top tier QB (which the Bears have pretty much never had).

Love love love this deal!
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    The Bears just made the playoffs.
    Cutler puts them head in shoulders over Minnesota, Green Bay and definitely Detroit.
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Does DEN have a 1st round pick of their own ?

Ya figure The Bears only gave up Orton who is not that good the 18th pick this year...and most likely late pick in the 20's for next year...assuming they make the playoffs which they probably will

Trying to figure out DEN's QB situation now...I would assume they would maybe pick one up in the draft ?

Use Orton a year or 2 and give the job to a young player they drafted
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • OneTooFreeOneTooFree Posts: 265

Ya figure The Bears only gave up Orton who is not that good the 18th pick this year...and most likely late pick in the 20's for next year...assuming they make the playoffs which they probably will

Trying to figure out DEN's QB situation now...I would assume they would maybe pick one up in the draft ?

If the reports are correct, the Broncos will have the following picks in the upcoming NFL Draft:

1-12-12 Denver
    1-18-18 Denver (from Chicago)
    2-16-48 Denver
    3-15-79 Denver
    3-20-84 Denver (from Chicago)
    4-14-114 Denver
    5-13-149 Denver
    6-12-185 Denver
    7-16-225 Denver
    7-26-235 Denver (from Atlanta)

that is not a bad way for McDaniels to start building the team he wants
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889

If the reports are correct, the Broncos will have the following picks in the upcoming NFL Draft:

1-12-12 Denver
    1-18-18 Denver (from Chicago)
    2-16-48 Denver
    3-15-79 Denver
    3-20-84 Denver (from Chicago)
    4-14-114 Denver
    5-13-149 Denver
    6-12-185 Denver
    7-16-225 Denver
    7-26-235 Denver (from Atlanta)

that is not a bad way for McDaniels to start building the team he wants

It will be interesting to see how this looks a few years from now. Either McDaniels has a great shot at building a team, or they will have regretted giving up a franchise QB.

I don't like that the Bears gave up 2 number ones...
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • The Bears aren't giving up too much in draft picks, they typically don't draft well, especially in the first round. Check the last several years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4037373
    The Chicago Bears pulled the big upset Thursday afternoon by acquiring Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, a source told ESPN.com.

The Broncos confirmed the move.

To acquire Cutler, the Bears had to give up quarterback Kyle Orton and first-round picks in 2009 and 2010, a source said.

To complete the trade, the Broncos had to give back a third-round pick in 2009.

The Bears beat out the Redskins, Buccaneers, Lions, Titans and other teams to get land the 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback.

The Broncos had been asking for at least two first-round choices.

Cutler asked to be traded when he found out first-year coach Josh McDaniels tried to acquire Matt Cassel in a trade with the Patriots.

Cutler had not returned phone calls from the Broncos, according to the team, and had been staying away from the offseason program.

wow... giving up an awful lot for the kid
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • stupid stupid stupid trade. bears should have never dumped that much for cutler
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    stupid stupid stupid trade. bears should have never dumped that much for cutler

The Bears needed a QB. Would a star QB available at the 18th pick (first round)? Unlikely, especially the quality of Cutler (who is only 25).
    They gave up ONE of their two third round picks and a first round next year...which if they make the playoffs it won't be a top pick anyways.
    Orton? C'mon, the guy is going to be a career backup with absolutely no arm or the ability to move in the pocket.

The defense needs some help but in just a couple of spots. The signed Orlando Pace, an upgrade at OL.

I think they are doing a good job.

Barring any freak injuries, this may be the first time in my life where the Bears had a quality QB and RB at the same time (who both happen to be young).

Having Cutler in there with the ability to throw the ball more than 15 yards (Orton) will open up the offense, and this should also open up the running game.

All in all, I think it was a fantastic trade!
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    haha

GO CHARGERS!!!

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    I've always kind of liked the Bears for some reason, and while it was a bit of a steep price to pay, I think they potentially made a good move.

Although if you are rebuilding a team, Mcdaniels put himself into a better position to do that than you could ask for.

As for Cutler to chicago...as long as the kid pans out it will be a good move [duh.] but really, has this team ever in history had a good quarterback? Plus this is the NFC North, this arguably makes the Bears the best team in that conference and gives them a good shot at the playoffs.
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    At first it seemed to me like it was too much, but I'm not entirely sure. The Bears weren't going to get an impact player of Cutler's caliber from the draft this year. I guess it all depends on what sort of needs that will be there for next year's draft.

But what is Denver going to do at QB? You give up a franchise QB, and go to camp with a couple of mediocre guys.... but if McDaniels really wanted Cassell, I guess that wouldn't have been much different then where they are now. We'll see what happens in the draft, but right now Denver is a worse team than they were last year.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
    gobrowns19 wrote:
    I've always kind of liked the Bears for some reason, and while it was a bit of a steep price to pay, I think they potentially made a good move.

Although if you are rebuilding a team, Mcdaniels put himself into a better position to do that than you could ask for.

As for Cutler to chicago...as long as the kid pans out it will be a good move [duh.] but really, has this team ever in history had a good quarterback? Plus this is the NFC North, this arguably makes the Bears the best team in that conference and gives them a good shot at the playoffs.

Cutler hasn't taken a snap in Soldier Field and he's already one of the best Chicago QB's of alltime...that's how bad they have been.
    While the Bears WRs aren't probowl quality (Hester someday...maybe) they have to be ecstatic with Cutler coming into town. Orton had/has absolutely NO arm what-so-ever. I was one last year who actually wanted Grossman to start for the simple fact that while he made bad decisions he could actually throw the ball.
    If the Bears can pull in a vet like Tory Holt, or Harrision I think they'll be fine. With the speed of Hester and a guy like Holt, WR should be ok for this year. They still have one of the best young tight ends in Olsen to throw to, and Forte had an awesome year last year. They got an upgrade on the OL, and if they can get another solid blocker, the Bears might...for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time have a quality offense.
  • Jimmydean55Jimmydean55 Posts: 1,278
    mca47 wrote:
    The Bears needed a QB. Would a star QB available at the 18th pick (first round)? Unlikely, especially the quality of Cutler (who is only 25).
    They gave up ONE of their two third round picks and a first round next year...which if they make the playoffs it won't be a top pick anyways.
    Orton? C'mon, the guy is going to be a career backup with absolutely no arm or the ability to move in the pocket.

The defense needs some help but in just a couple of spots. The signed Orlando Pace, an upgrade at OL.

I think they are doing a good job.

Barring any freak injuries, this may be the first time in my life where the Bears had a quality QB and RB at the same time (who both happen to be young).

Having Cutler in there with the ability to throw the ball more than 15 yards (Orton) will open up the offense, and this should also open up the running game.

All in all, I think it was a fantastic trade!

+1. We can't draft for shit in the first round anyway, so 2 first rounders are nothing. I would be more worried about the third rounder we gave up, haha.

Great deal....
  • pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    You can have whatever QB you want, but if you don't have anyone that can catch the ball it won't matter. I can't wait to see balls hitting off Hester's shoulder pads and then the ground!!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
    At first it seemed to me like it was too much, but I'm not entirely sure. The Bears weren't going to get an impact player of Cutler's caliber from the draft this year. I guess it all depends on what sort of needs that will be there for next year's draft.

But what is Denver going to do at QB? You give up a franchise QB, and go to camp with a couple of mediocre guys.... but if McDaniels really wanted Cassell, I guess that wouldn't have been much different then where they are now. We'll see what happens in the draft, but right now Denver is a worse team than they were last year.

It's a lot to give up, but at the same time it's not. Jerry Angelo has been awful with first round draft picks in his tenure. This is going to turn out to be two late first round picks, a third rounder and Orton for a 25 year old franchise QB. I couldn't be happier.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    mca47 wrote:

Bears also signed Orlando Pace too.

I love this deal!
    The gave up a first rd (18th overall pick) and a 3rd (they have two 3rd rd picks anyways) and Orton.

I can handle that for a top tier QB (which the Bears have pretty much never had).

Love love love this deal!

Cutler top tier?? That's a bit of wishful thinking. I'd say he's above average, nothing more. But I understand your excitement. You guys really have never had a great quarterback. Not even very many average ones.
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    milarso wrote:
    Cutler puts them head in shoulders over Minnesota, Green Bay and definitely Detroit.

+1

Huge upgrade for the Bears. I mean, Cutler isn't fantastic or anything but I can't believe anyone in Chicago would complain about this after watching the Grossman/Orton show over the years.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • No broncos fans around here???
    For any...I'm telling you take a look at Simms. At least let him complete with Orton.

Btw....does Rex Grossman have a job?
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
    Flagg wrote:
    milarso wrote:

+1

Huge upgrade for the Bears. I mean, Cutler isn't fantastic or anything but I can't believe anyone in Chicago would complain about this after watching the Grossman/Orton show over the years.

I havent heard any complaints at all in Chicago yet. I still can't believe they actually pulled it off!
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    I think the trade worked for both teams- Denver is going to rebuild and now they have the picks to do it, it means that they may not be good this year, but they need to rebuild the defense. And they got rid of someone that did not want to be there, Orton and Simms might be OK since they have two good receivers. And it makes for an easy road win for the Steelers in 2009. ;)

Chicago gets a good QB that they were probably not going to get in the draft and he is signed for the next 3 years. Puts them right back in the NFC north race. Will make this road win a little more difficult, but he still has no receivers to throw to.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
    No broncos fans around here???
    For any...I'm telling you take a look at Simms. At least let him complete with Orton.

Btw....does Rex Grossman have a job?

The last I heard about Rexy was that he was in talks with Cleveland or Cincinnati or something, presumably as a back-up.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Could this be this decade's Herschel Walker trade? :twisted:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Just looking at the past 13 years of 1st round picks by Chicago I think it's wise of them to trade for a "proven" qb.
    2008 Chris Williams
    2007 Greg Olsen
    2006 Cedric Benson
    2005 Tommie Harris
    2004 Michael Haynes
    2003 Rex Grossman
    2002 Marc Colombo
    2001 David Terrell
    2000 Brian Urlacher
    1999 Cade McNown
    1998 Curtis Enis
    1997 Walt Harris
    1996 Rashaan Salaam

Though there is evidence of some solid defensive picks the offensive selections are horrid. How long did the Bears play the "wait and see" game with Rex??? I keep hearing on ESPN radio that the Bears gave up too much and I think it's ridiculous. On paper--sure easy to say they gave up too much. In reality, when you start looking at their talent for picking first rounders they probably aught to trade them away most years.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Just looking at the past 13 years of 1st round picks by Chicago I think it's wise of them to trade for a "proven" qb.
    2008 Chris Williams
    2007 Greg Olsen
    2006 Cedric Benson
    2005 Tommie Harris
    2004 Michael Haynes
    2003 Rex Grossman
    2002 Marc Colombo
    2001 David Terrell
    2000 Brian Urlacher
    1999 Cade McNown
    1998 Curtis Enis
    1997 Walt Harris
    1996 Rashaan Salaam

Though there is evidence of some solid defensive picks the offensive selections are horrid. How long did the Bears play the "wait and see" game with Rex??? I keep hearing on ESPN radio that the Bears gave up too much and I think it's ridiculous. On paper--sure easy to say they gave up too much. In reality, when you start looking at their talent for picking first rounders they probably aught to trade them away most years.

Wow, seeing this makes me feel a lot less worse than I originally felt from the Browns many busted 1st rounders.
    Happiness is only real when shared