Life without credit cards

2»

Comments

• PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Love the miles....4 tickets to FL last year....4 tickets to CA last Summer, bumped from the flight home, 6 FREE tickets anywhere in the lower 48...we are heading to Yellowstone in July!
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Love the miles....4 tickets to FL last year....4 tickets to CA last Summer, bumped from the flight home, 6 FREE tickets anywhere in the lower 48...we are heading to Yellowstone in July!

it's truly a beautiful thing! rewards for spending your $$$ that you would've been spending anyway. if one is RESPONSIBLE with their card usage, a creidt card is an EXCELLENT TOOL for managing your personal finances, can actually save more $$$ by doing so AND get some awesome rewards - like free travel! win-win!!!

and hello......off-topic but this IS a pj board, check your emails people, check the porch...10c just about announced shows this year!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• No credit cards for me I've never owned one.Totally debt free, If I have to make an on line purchase I buy a pre paid visa. Every thing else cash or money order. I recommend reading Financial peace by Dave Ramsey if anybody is having Financial problems. :)
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    prfctlefts wrote:
    No credit cards for me I've never owned one.Totally debt free, If I have to make an on line purchase I buy a pre paid visa. Every thing else cash or money order. I recommend reading Financial peace by Dave Ramsey if anybody is having Financial problems. :)

sounds good....but just an fyi - one CAN have a credit card and be debt-free. unless you consider 30 days of 'debt' living in debt. ;) i call it an interest-free loan, also smart. :) seriously tho, i hear ya....we all need to find an approach ti living, including our finances, in a way that works best for us.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I rarely use cash! Recently I had to and it seemed so odd. It was like I didn't know what to do. I even mentioned it to the cashier because I was so awkward with the real stuff.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    I've had my problems with credit card debt. It got up above $10,000 at one point. Sad thing is, yeah sure I have a bunch of nerdy/geeky things, but nowhere enough to figure out how it go so high!! :lol:

I don't eat out/go to the bar as much as a I used to either, which has helped greatly. Anyway, now that I'm debt free its been nice be able to pay off my credit card every month and not have any stinking interest!!
  • davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    i listened to john commuta's transforming debt into wealth and it changed my life
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    So these threads from years ago that get bumped...borne of boredom or actually searching for the specific subject?

This cat's curious!

As to the OP, haven't had a credit card in I don't know how long; everything's either paid via debit card or cold hard cash. I can't - and won't! - spend what I don't have and will never, EVER go into debt again.

(sidenote - anyone else have dreams about their wallet being lost or stolen?)
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I use a debit card and don't trust myself with a credit card
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    hedonist wrote:
    So these threads from years ago that get bumped...borne of boredom or actually searching for the specific subject?

This cat's curious!

As to the OP, haven't had a credit card in I don't know how long; everything's either paid via debit card or cold hard cash. I can't - and won't! - spend what I don't have and will never, EVER go into debt again.

(sidenote - anyone else have dreams about their wallet being lost or stolen?)

sometiems boredom, sometimes searching

i agree with you on the CC thing. I've not had a CC since 95ish. If i don't have the cash, i don't buy the product or service...and even when i do have the cash, i often don't buy the product or service.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I think about getting an American Express Card just to get those exclusive seats to concerts they offer.

I can borrow my bosses, but i don't like asking.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I haven't used a credit card in years either. All debit card and cash for me.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    I haven't used a credit card in years either. All debit card and cash for me.

missing out on a ton of points, miles, rewards, cash back, etc.

if you are able to pay using debit, you obviously have the cash in your checking account. i'd use a credit card and pay it off online on a weekly basis. this way you are always in front of paying your bill and still getting all of the rewards associated with a CC.

i used to be debit card heavy, but then i realized how much cash back i was missing out on. i'll only use my debit card now for quick stops at the supermarket, walgreens, etc.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    I ran a couple cards up when I was in college. :fp:
    All were super-low interest rates so I never missed a payment.
    After the "bailout", banks stated nickle and diming everyone. I never used my cards much at all after college...just made the payments. So after the bailout, apparently Chase sent something in the mail that said, if you use your card anymore we're upping your APR. Didn't read the fine print.
    A month later, I used my card to buy a bottle of water from some gas station. Total charge of maybe $2.
    The next statement comes, and my interest rate nearly doubled.
    Call them up, deal with some asshat. Speak to his manager who tells me "Well, we sent you a notice...we're not reducing your rate". I'm like "I've been a card member for 12 years, never missed a payment and THIS is how your treating your customers?" He's goes "Sorry, nothing I can do". Told him to fuck off and paid that card off the next month. It's still open, but those fuckers will never see another dime from me! :x
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    mca47 wrote:
    All were super-low interest rates so I never missed a payment.
    After the "bailout", banks stated nickle and diming everyone. I never used my cards much at all after college...just made the payments. So after the bailout, apparently Chase sent something in the mail that said, if you use your card anymore we're upping your APR. Didn't read the fine print.
    A month later, I used my card to buy a bottle of water from some gas station. Total charge of maybe $2.
    The next statement comes, and my interest rate nearly doubled.
    Call them up, deal with some asshat. Speak to his manager who tells me "Well, we sent you a notice...we're not reducing your rate". I'm like "I've been a card member for 12 years, never missed a payment and THIS is how your treating your customers?" He's goes "Sorry, nothing I can do". Told him to fuck off and paid that card off the next month. It's still open, but those fuckers will never see another dime from me! :x

That's some bull
  • lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Im not really sure what this thread is exactly about but Ill tell you I sure as fuck dont want a credit card. I'm only 20, but that is the last thing I need. All of my friends are in debt because of that crap.

Good form you...never get if you can help it. My wife and I don't have one either. Best decision ever.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • GivenToLukinKPGivenToLukinKP Posts: 3,076
    The problem with never having a credit card is that you never build any credit, good or bad. if you are responsible and can pay off your balance every month, its a good thing to do because one day you are going to want to buy a home or a car and you are either going to get a shit rate or you won't be approved at all because you have no credit history. You don't have to charge tons of stuff--just charging gas or something and then paying it off every month is going to build your credit.
    Makes much more sense...

2011: East Troy, WI 1 & 2; Toronto ON 1 & 2; Hamilton ON
    2012: Berlin, Germany 1& 2; Stockholm Sweden; Oslo Norway; Copenhagen Denmark
    2013: Wrigley Field- Chicago, IL; Philadelphia, PA 1 & 2; Hartford, CT; Vancouver BC; Seattle, WA.
    2014: Cincinnati, OH; St. Louis, MO; Moline, IL; Milwaukee, WI
    2016: Wrigley Field- Chicago 1&2
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I wish ...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    mca47 wrote:

I did the same thing. Except there were 3-4 of them. So fucking stupid. Mostly spring break trips and bar tabs. Finally paid off the last one last year. Such a great feeling. Now I'm seriously paying off student loans. The fun never ends. :fp:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    mca47 wrote:

I did the same thing. Except there were 3-4 of them. So fucking stupid. Mostly spring break trips and bar tabs. Finally paid off the last one last year. Such a great feeling. Now I'm seriously paying off student loans. The fun never ends. :fp:

after that, it's a house :lol::lol:

paid off the truck in march of 09, the student loans in april of 09. so nice not having anything but the mortgage. that's currently slated for feb 1 of 2034 :lol::lol::lol: plan on having it done before then tho. maybe 2028. time will tell

it feels so weird saying '28 :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,670
    I use the shit out of them for the points.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    we have one because we get cash back. charge the stuff that earns the most cash back, pay off the balance at the end of the month-free money!

Only have the student loan and mortgage as debt. If we can rent the house out for 9 years, it will be paid off.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Posts: 14,823
    81 wrote:

after that, it's a house :lol::lol:

paid off the truck in march of 09, the student loans in april of 09. so nice not having anything but the mortgage. that's currently slated for feb 1 of 2034 :lol::lol::lol: plan on having it done before then tho. maybe 2028. time will tell

it feels so weird saying '28 :lol:

Yep. Now it's paying off student loans and saving up for a house. We're in no hurry to do that though. Prob another 2-3 years in the city and then move out to the burbs. Will prob need a new car in the next year, but holding off on that as long as possible.