Life without credit cards

soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
edited May 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
I had my wallet stolen on vacation. I didn't lose much money and it was close enough to the end that it wasn't a problem, but I did have to cancel all my cards... credit and bank. I'm waiting on the replacements now. It's surreal how much you depend on them without realizing it. I feel like I can't do anything. I just realized yesterday (after about 3 days with no $) that I actually CAN get money from my bank without my atm card by going into the bank and making a withdrawal... it's been YEARS since I actually made a counter withdrawal. So weird.

Anyone else try life without plastic for a while? It's a trip.

To top things off, the USPS seems to have lost all the mail I asked them to hold... nobody knows where it is. That's 3 weeks of mail- including time sensitive job and tax documents and a few cd's I ordered- just gone into a black hole. They better dig that shit up for me soon!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    I don't even want to think of it.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    Good luck with the post office... About 7-8 years ago I went on a 2 week trip and had my mail held. I went to the post office and they couldn't find it. I went back the next day and same thing... I talked to a half dozen people on the phone and they couldn't find anything. About 3 days later all of it showed overflowing my mailbox... I have no idea where it was hiding.

Life without credit cards would be ok... but not my debit card... that thing gets used almost every day (a lot of times several times a day). I don't spend a ton of money ($100 here for groceries, $25 for gas, $10 for lunch, etc.) I can't imagine having to carry that much cash all of the time.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Well that sucks.

I'd be stressing about the tax docs, etc. but that's just me!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Good thing that your vacation wasn't ruined. Sorry to hear about the mail too...the post office can sometimes be a bit...obtuse. I would just continuously demand that they figure the shit out.

The counter withdrawal is a trip...i still forget that I can do that...but a couple times i've remembered when I desperately needed some cash and left my debit card at home.

I had an epiphany recently with cell phones though. My girlfriend and I were sharing a phone, so I let her use it since she is new to town and could have a better use for it if she got lost or whatever...so I just got it back since we got her one of her own....6 months without a cell phone and I have to be honest here...I fucking LOVED it.

Now I'm back to having a vibration in m pocket and endless annoying phone calls :roll: . The implementation of cell phones have made so many people become pushy as hell. Like I need to feel liek shit because I didn't answer my phone...I miss the days of leaving the house and not being bothered by meaningless phone calls...

*sigh* technology...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    my ATM card number was stolen a couple weeks ago and i had to wait for a new one to show up. having to go into the bank was a weird experience for sure, it'd been ages since i did any banking inside. was a pain in the ass though doing anything....getting gas, going to the store. i use my debit card for everything. can't really go around carrying a bunch of cash on you!
  • Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
    dcfaithful wrote:

I had an epiphany recently with cell phones though. My girlfriend and I were sharing a phone, so I let her use it since she is new to town and could have a better use for it if she got lost or whatever...so I just got it back since we got her one of her own....6 months without a cell phone and I have to be honest here...I fucking LOVED it.

Now I'm back to having a vibration in m pocket and endless annoying phone calls :roll: . The implementation of cell phones have made so many people become pushy as hell. Like I need to feel liek shit because I didn't answer my phone...I miss the days of leaving the house and not being bothered by meaningless phone calls...

*sigh* technology...
    Hahaha... I've been without phone a few times (had a habit of losing them :oops: ) and yeh, I loved it... only contact people when YOU want to... making arrangements and STICKING to them cos cancelling last minute isn't an option (just like the good old days) :mrgreen:

So many pros... not enough cons to not having a mobile phone... may just get rid of mine... well once i get a job that is :mrgreen:

Anyway, I don't have a credit card and refuse to get one... so I'd cope without one just fine :mrgreen: my debit card is just like my atm card (apart from one or two online purchases) and I don't have to carry around LOADSA cash on me... I find £50 does me a few days and free withdrawals so it doesn't matter.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    dcfaithful wrote:

Hehe, I don't have that problem with cell phones. I was gone for 3 weeks and the only voicemail when I got back was an automated one from my fitness center confirming my cancellation. Nobody ever calls my phone. I'm not sure why I bother with it.
    dcfaithful wrote:

Hehe, I don't have that problem with cell phones. I was gone for 3 weeks and the only voicemail when I got back was an automated one from my fitness center confirming my cancellation. Nobody ever calls my phone. I'm not sure why I bother with it.
    well MY problem is I won't hear from anyone for days and suddenly they all decide to contact me at once... and I HAVE to reply (this is something I'm going to have to get over :mrgreen: ) so while I'm replying to one, I've 2 or 3 more coming in :shock: during the last rugby (Ireland won the grand slam :mrgreen: ), I checked my phone at half time and I'd something like 12 messages :shock: and a few missed calls :shock: I'd never seen anything like it :mrgreen: but at the end I was quite euphoric so I dunno what kinda replies I was sending out or whether I even replied to anybody at ALL :mrgreen: but yeh, I haven't heard from any of them since :mrgreen::lol:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    ya that's a pain...happened to me years ago.
    When I lost my wallet, it had EVERY piece of plastic AND ID in it.....The registry told me to bring in every piece of paper I had with my name on it...bills, pay slips, lease agreements etc. It sucked.
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko Posts: 2,430
    dcfaithful wrote:

what is your number?
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    dcfaithful wrote:

Yeah fuck having contacts! LOL!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • I would love to be without a cell phone but...

At certain times, you DO need it.

I mean, how would you ever be able to contact anyone or have them contact you? What if you were out and about and heading somewhere to meet friends you made plans with and it was cancelled and you didn't find out you were wasting your time until it was way too late?

What if you were out and about and there was an emergency? What if you were stranded on the side of the road?
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Im not really sure what this thread is exactly about but Ill tell you I sure as fuck dont want a credit card. I'm only 20, but that is the last thing I need. All of my friends are in debt because of that crap.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    I would love to be without a cell phone but...

At certain times, you DO need it.

I mean, how would you ever be able to contact anyone or have them contact you? What if you were out and about and heading somewhere to meet friends you made plans with and it was cancelled and you didn't find out you were wasting your time until it was way too late?

What if you were out and about and there was an emergency? What if you were stranded on the side of the road?
    Most of that isn't a problem... you have to contact people in person... if you arrange to meet somebody (in person or over a landline) they know they have to be there... people have got WAY too flaky cos of the invention of the mobile phone :mrgreen:

I'll give ya emergency though... sure they do make life a little bit easier... but they can be a fucking pain in the arse :mrgreen:
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I have €80 extra on my credit card... bet the bank HATE me!

I lost my wallet once, and it was such a pain in the face. Anytime I needed cash I had to go into the bank with my passport and make a withdrawal. And I'm useless at telling how much I'd need for a week, so I'd end up going in everyday for li'l amounts instead of one big amount.
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • Somehow, my roommate has been getting along without credit cards, debit cards or a checking/banking account for years now. But then again, he gets paid cash for what he does for a living.

Make your life a mission - not an intermission. - Arnold Gasglow
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    ajedigecko wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

what is your number?

No way man, I'm pretty happy with the lack of ringing on my phone. The people that have theirs permanently glued to their ear annoy me. Seems so desperate. Unless you're a hot, easy, and willing woman.

12345AGNST1, I definitely know a lot of people that got into serious trouble with credit cards in college. Mine are more full than I'd like, but it's never gotten out of control. I ran mine up on a vacation last spring, but only because I knew I had a good summer job lined up that allowed me to pay it off. Now I'm in the same position... it's been run up due to vacation and loan tightness, but I know I have reimbursements on the way from my future employer and a great job starting in September, so I'm not terribly worried. Not everyone is so lucky though. I'm lucky that I never buy expensive clothes... just cd's ;)
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I can't imagine going without one. I almost never have cash on me. Probably not a good idea in case of emergencies.

We use 1 credit card for everything. We use a card that collects air miles. All of my online bills go to it. We use it for every day purchases like food, gas, clothes. Everything. Every single bill that can be paid by credit card or draft goes on there. And when the statement comes due we write one big check and pay it off. Never carry a balance and bank the air miles.

We have a couple of others for emergencies but they hidden away and have no balance on them.

Credit cards can be great things if used wisely, but they can cause great harm if abused. I can't think of much else with so much upside and downside depending on how you use it. But almost everything you do know requires a card, either credit or debit.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 25,424
    Flagg wrote:
    I can't imagine going without one. I almost never have cash on me. Probably not a good idea in case of emergencies.

We use 1 credit card for everything. We use a card that collects air miles. All of my online bills go to it. We use it for every day purchases like food, gas, clothes. Everything. Every single bill that can be paid by credit card or draft goes on there. And when the statement comes due we write one big check and pay it off. Never carry a balance and bank the air miles.

We have a couple of others for emergencies but they hidden away and have no balance on them.

Credit cards can be great things if used wisely, but they can cause great harm if abused. I can't think of much else with so much upside and downside depending on how you use it. But almost everything you do know requires a card, either credit or debit.
    THE MILES!!!!

it is ALL ABOUT THE MILES!!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    Flagg wrote:

great post - exactly what we think, and how we live. if i have $40 in my wallet i have a lot of cash on me. we have begun using cash a bit more, just part of our budgeting this year....for our entertainment expenses to keep them more in line of our financial goals....but everything else from gas for the car to groceries, always on the credit card. it's an interest free loan for 30 days, so it does make excellent financial sense as long as you always pay your bills in full. it is the only major credit card we have, we have another linked to our brokerage account so that's our emergency backup, and a couple store cards we never use...got em for discounts on purchases or 12 months interest free, etc.

my father-in-law, who is 86 has never had a creidt or debit card. he has always owned his home, his car, etc.....always wrote checks or most often, paid cash. so it certainly can be done. i find credit faaarrrrrr more convenient and manageable for day-to-day living, and yes...airmiles rock. 8-)

so you bet, i'd hate to live w/o my cards...what a pain. i never set foot in the bank, always use the ATM, use autopay for many bills, etc....cards are an awesome tool for us. cell phones are convenient, but i do not really talk on the phone much, period. i do not get a lot of calls at all, just as i like it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I don't have a credit card at all and I only have one bank account with card access.

I had my wallet stolen about a year ago and had to cancel my card, I found it surprsingly easy to withdraw what I needed over the counter. To be honest, it made me realise how much I spend on little things when I just put them on my debit card :shock:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,138
    I’m typically pro-credit card and rarely do I carry more the $20 cash with me. But recently I didn’t have my credit card and I’ll admit that my spending habits were much more frugal. Usually my grocery bill runs around $100 per week, but when I had cash only I was much more aware of keeping a running tally in my head and the end result was that the total was only $58.

It’s easier, physiologically, to hand over a credit card then wads of cash. On the other hand, when I travel I wouldn’t be caught without my credit card. It really restricts your options if you only have cash..
    Jason P wrote:
    I’m typically pro-credit card and rarely do I carry more the $20 cash with me. But recently I didn’t have my credit card and I’ll admit that my spending habits were much more frugal. Usually my grocery bill runs around $100 per week, but when I had cash only I was much more aware of keeping a running tally in my head and the end result was that the total was only $58.

It’s easier, physiologically, to hand over a credit card then wads of cash. On the other hand, when I travel I wouldn’t be caught without my credit card. It really restricts your options if you only have cash..

absolutely!
    study after study has illustrated this point. thus why one must really be cautious with their usage, pay attention to their spending habits, etc.

also why we decided for our monthly entertainment budget, to go cash...so we'd et more frugal. :P however, for things like groceries and the like...i just can't be bothered using anything but a credit card. if we need food, or there's a good sale on something we use regularly and i'd like to stock up, etc....i far rather be able to get all we want and need in one shopping trip than not have enough cash, have to hit up an ATM or make another trip back, etc. purchases at the grocery store, drug store, etc..i definitely think of as 'necessities'....so i personally like creidt for it. but you bet, you most definitely can easily overspend if you do not truly weigh the value of your purchases before plonking down the plastic.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

And that's why I prefer cash... I have a much more emotional connection to parting with the money if I can SEE it and feel it in my hands :lol: I just find the whole plastic money thing quite strange to be honest :oops: . Sure, they're grand to have in emergencies... but once I got my debit card I'm now able to impulse shop online :oops: which wasn't available to me before and they're generally things I want but could do without. I just think avoiding using a credit card gives me a better value on money and what things are worth. If I have a certain amount of cash to do me a few days, it WILL do me a few days. Taking the card out, it's much more tempting to go over your psychological budget.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    i just bought a brand-new, much needed green rope hammock......ours finally died last summer and we must get a new one before hammock season kicks in! :D ....and did so without leaving my little work cube, got it online b/c none of our local merchants seem to have green rope hammocks this season for whatever reason :| ...so comparison shopped for quality/price, found exactly what i was looking for, bought it without leaving work....all thanks to the internet and a credit card. also will get said hammock and hopefully, weather permitting, get to try it out, before i even have to take the $$$ out of my own account, pay the bill in full in about 30 days. it's a beautiful thing. :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Flagg wrote:

Better keep an eye on those cards... the credit card companies are starting to cancel or lower the available credit line on cards which are unused and carry little or no balance.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I've had my car stolen before :(

imagine that...

I've had my purse snatched off of my arm after the robber spoke to me....

I'm glad you have money in the bank to take out, some people don't.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    THE MILES!!!!

Hey! Those miles are taking us to Canada this year and have made many PJ shows possible.

Maybe I wouldn't need them if Pearl Jam ever played, oh I don't know, within 1000 miles of my house once in awhile!!!
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    chromiam wrote:
    Flagg wrote:

Better keep an eye on those cards... the credit card companies are starting to cancel or lower the available credit line on cards which are unused and carry little or no balance.

Yeah, I've thought about that. But what can you do?

And now I have two with Chase. I have a Chase card and a WAMU card that is now Chase. I imagine they are going to cancel one on me.
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    Flagg wrote:
    THE MILES!!!!

Hey! Those miles are taking us to Canada this year and have made many PJ shows possible.

Maybe I wouldn't need them if Pearl Jam ever played, oh I don't know, within 1000 miles of my house once in awhile!!!

seriously.
    i have been saving my miles for foreeeevvveeeerrrr....for the someday dream of a trip for two to oz, hopefully coupled with some live pj. maybe hawaii. i will say, my mother has generously donated her airmiles to me, 2x now. once for my trip out west to seattle thru edmonton to see pj in 2005....and again in 2006 to see pj 5x in italy. mom rocks, and so do airmiles! :mrgreen:
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...