Options

Unplugged DVD

soonerdeadsoonerdead Posts: 117
edited February 2009 in The Porch
it says that the not shown Oceans will be on the dvd. what about rockin' in the free world? and it's been awhile but i don't remember SOLAT on the original broadcast either. damn vcr ate my tape many moons ago.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    soonerdead wrote:
    it says that the not shown Oceans will be on the dvd. what about rockin' in the free world? and it's been awhile but i don't remember SOLAT on the original broadcast either. damn vcr ate my tape many moons ago.

I have not heard about RITFW, so i can't help you there.

but there is some speculation (partially from me) that there will be additional stuff on the dvd. the best buy video has a version of alive from Rockplast or something on it, so why would that be put in a video to promote the dvd and not actually BE on the dvd?? that is my theory. plus there are like 3 hours of extra space to fill, so there could always be some more stuff. '92 was the most documented era for the band in terms of video until 2000, so there could always be more stuff on it.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    I'm more happy for the 5.1 surround sound remix than the footage. And Black and Porch sound great on PJ's myspace.
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    soonerdead wrote:

but there is some speculation (partially from me) that there will be additional stuff on the dvd. the best buy video has a version of alive from Rockplast or something on it, so why would that be put in a video to promote the dvd and not actually BE on the dvd?? that is my theory. plus there are like 3 hours of extra space to fill, so there could always be some more stuff. '92 was the most documented era for the band in terms of video until 2000, so there could always be more stuff on it.

yeah, you can check out RITFW on youtube
  • Options
    CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    NewJPage wrote:
    soonerdead wrote:
    '92 was the most documented era for the band in terms of video until 2000, so there could always be more stuff on it.

Official band documentation, or other? I didn't know they had paid cameramen working their '92 shows... If so, and if more gets released, I'll be completely elated.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • Options
    NewJPage wrote:
    soonerdead wrote:

I've also noticed on a tracklist somewhere, that RITFW also wasn't listed for the Drop in the Park vinyl. I'm guessing Sony or whoever didn't want to pay the licensing fee for the Neil Young song, so... no RITFW in unplugged or Drop in the Park.
    Rock me Jesus, roll me Lord...
    Wash me in the blood of Rock & Roll
  • Options
    arthurdent wrote:
    NewJPage wrote:
    soonerdead wrote:

I've also noticed on a tracklist somewhere, that RITFW also wasn't listed for the Drop in the Park vinyl. I'm guessing Sony or whoever didn't want to pay the licensing fee for the Neil Young song, so... no RITFW in unplugged or Drop in the Park.

But the thing is that any band can record and sell any commercially released song. Britney Spears can record & sell "red mosquito" and it's perfectly legal. They just need to pay for using the song... and I think that PJ would be well served to make sure their shows are complete. Ugh... I'd hate to be paying $140, and have these shows not complete.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    arthurdent wrote:
    NewJPage wrote:
    soonerdead wrote:

I hope your kidding. That version is by far the best version I have ever heard. I love how it starts of slow in the first verse and explodes to life in the second verse. Better be on the vinyl or imma be pissed. :twisted: :evil:
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    But the thing is that any band can record and sell any commercially released song. Britney Spears can record & sell "red mosquito" and it's perfectly legal. They just need to pay for using the song... and I think that PJ would be well served to make sure their shows are complete. Ugh... I'd hate to be paying $140, and have these shows not complete.[/quote]

i hope you're right. i would like some clarification on this. surely they know that we know oceans isn't the only song not shown on the original broadcast. it's all on youtube. it's excruciating for me to watch it with the timer bar at the bottom.
  • Options
    Kind of reminds me of how the "I won't back down" from the 2005 gorge show was mysteriously missing due to a technical problem they experienced with the recording when the basecamp bootlegs were first released. Funny thing was that that same song was included miraculously unglitched when the Gorge box set was released years later.

RITFW is a funny one to me. With the amount of times they've played it live and released it on bootlegs, I think the band should have just worked out a one-time-fee with Neil and call it a day. :mrgreen:
    Barrie '98
    Saratoga Springs, Toronto '00
    Toronto, Montreal '03
    Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto '05
    Toronto I & II, Albany, Hartford, Gorge I '06
    Camden I & II, Washington DC '08
    Toronto, Chicago I '09
    Columbus, Indianapolis, Buffalo '10
    Alpine Valley I & II, Toronto I & II, Hamilton '11
    London, Buffalo '13
    Detroit '14
    Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I & II '16
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 503
    if it is not the ENTIRE mtv unplugged show (oceans & ritfw) then i say, WHAT THE FUCK!? why do i even want the dvd if it's not the entire show. i've had the ENTIRE show on a dvdr for a long time. why watch the new one then? i really hope they put all the songs on it.
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    I hope your kidding. That version is by far the best version I have ever heard. I love how it starts of slow in the first verse and explodes to life in the second verse. Better be on the vinyl or imma be pissed. :twisted: :evil:

http://www.amazon.com/Collectors-1DVD-4 ... 90IC3V3KVZ

LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park - Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien) "Even Flow," "Once," "State Of Love And Trust," "Why Go," "Deep,", "Jeremy," "Black," "Alive," "Garden," "Porch"

and...

http://eil.com/shop/moreinfo.asp?catalogid=460576

LP 3 & 4 - Drop in the Park [Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992, audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien]:
    1. Even Flow
    2. Once
    3. State Of Love And Trust
    4. Why Go
    5. Jeremy
    6. Black
    7. Alive
    8. Garden
    9. Porch
  • Options
    I have my fingers crossed that we will get the complete Unplugged performance. However, based on the information about the previously unaired "Oceans," it's not looking good.

I like how Nirvana's Unplugged DVD contains both the broadcast and complete, uncut versions.

I am still pissed that "Ten" itself wasn't mixed in 5.1 surround sound as part of the reissue. :evil:
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    arthurdent wrote:

LP 3 & 4: Drop in the Park - Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992 (audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien) "Even Flow," "Once," "State Of Love And Trust," "Why Go," "Deep,", "Jeremy," "Black," "Alive," "Garden," "Porch"

and...

LP 3 & 4 - Drop in the Park [Live at Magnuson Park in Seattle on September 20, 1992, audio mixed by Brendan O'Brien]:
    1. Even Flow
    2. Once
    4. Why Go
    5. Jeremy
    6. Black
    7. Alive
    8. Garden
    9. Porch

That's fucked cause the drop in the park bootleg I have has 12 tracks, not 9. Their missing Deep, Sonic Reducer and RITFW. now it seems like, for me, it's not worth the $140 if this is edited and so is the Unplugged DVD.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    soonerdead wrote:
    cjmst3k wrote:
    But the thing is that any band can record and sell any commercially released song. Britney Spears can record & sell "red mosquito" and it's perfectly legal. They just need to pay for using the song... and I think that PJ would be well served to make sure their shows are complete. Ugh... I'd hate to be paying $140, and have these shows not complete.

i hope you're right. i would like some clarification on this. surely they know that we know oceans isn't the only song not shown on the original broadcast. it's all on youtube. it's excruciating for me to watch it with the timer bar at the bottom.

Oh... I'm right. I studied music business in college, albeit about 14 years ago. That's why you'll hear covers of great songs officially released by bands who have no talent. It's called compulsory license.

" You pay the song’s copyright holder (the writer and/or publisher) a fee - a mechanical royalty based on the “statutory rate.” That rate is currently 9.1¢, for songs under five minutes long. It increases periodically."

Here's a good article for you:

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/expert ... elses+song

"Once a song has been commercially released, anyone can record it. You don't have to get permission to do so, and no one can stop you. However, there are things you do have to do. In order to understand how this works, you need to understand one of the fundamental music publishing concepts - compulsory licenses.

A compulsory license, as its name suggests, is a license that a songwriter - once certain conditions are met - must grant to anyone who wishes to use his song. You read that right - must grant. For instance, if you want to record a version of “Stairway to Heaven” on your own record, you don’t have to get anyone’s permission to do so. Because of the compulsory license law, you can record anyone’s song that has been commercially released and put it on your record, and the writer (or publisher) of that song must grant you the license to do so.

However, this compulsory license law also establishes certain guidelines to ensure that songwriters are compensated in a fair and timely manner when their songs are used on other performers’ recordings."
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    CJMST3K wrote:
    soonerdead wrote:
    cjmst3k wrote:

Oh... I'm right. I studied music business in college, albeit about 14 years ago. That's why you'll hear covers of great songs officially released by bands who have no talent. It's called compulsory license.

" You pay the song’s copyright holder (the writer and/or publisher) a fee - a mechanical royalty based on the “statutory rate.” That rate is currently 9.1¢, for songs under five minutes long. It increases periodically."

Here's a good article for you:

http://www.artistshousemusic.org/expert ... elses+song

"Once a song has been commercially released, anyone can record it. You don't have to get permission to do so, and no one can stop you. However, there are things you do have to do. In order to understand how this works, you need to understand one of the fundamental music publishing concepts - compulsory licenses.

A compulsory license, as its name suggests, is a license that a songwriter - once certain conditions are met - must grant to anyone who wishes to use his song. You read that right - must grant. For instance, if you want to record a version of “Stairway to Heaven” on your own record, you don’t have to get anyone’s permission to do so. Because of the compulsory license law, you can record anyone’s song that has been commercially released and put it on your record, and the writer (or publisher) of that song must grant you the license to do so.

However, this compulsory license law also establishes certain guidelines to ensure that songwriters are compensated in a fair and timely manner when their songs are used on other performers’ recordings."

Also, you can't make any drastic changes to the arrangement and the original writer is paid for every copy pressed, not sold. I'm sure they get money for dl's somehow.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Also, you can't make any drastic changes to the arrangement and the original writer is paid for every copy pressed, not sold. I'm sure they get money for dl's somehow.

I think your question about DL compensation is also covered in the link to the article. I just posted some of the article. :)
  • Options
    bazzerbazzer Posts: 3,090
    arthurdent wrote:

and...

1. Even Flow
    2. Once
    4. Why Go
    5. Jeremy
    6. Black
    7. Alive
    8. Garden
    9. Porch

That's fucked cause the drop in the park bootleg I have has 12 tracks, not 9. Their missing Deep, Sonic Reducer and RITFW. now it seems like, for me, it's not worth the $140 if this is edited and so is the Unplugged DVD.
    Well, one of those lists Deep as being on there and one doesn't, so it's fair to say that neither have 100% credibility...
  • Options
    Don't I recall watching a video of Oceans as a promo for the reissue....I don't remember where and I suppose it could have been on youtube, but it seems like it was somewhere official and in relation to the reissue
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Don't I recall watching a video of Oceans as a promo for the reissue....I don't remember where and I suppose it could have been on youtube, but it seems like it was somewhere official and in relation to the reissue

i believe you might be referring to the best buy video for their pre-order which is also cheaper that what we clubbers get. it's just 11 bucks cheaper, but still...
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    if it is not the ENTIRE mtv unplugged show (oceans & ritfw) then i say, WHAT THE FUCK!? why do i even want the dvd if it's not the entire show. i've had the ENTIRE show on a dvdr for a long time. why watch the new one then? i really hope they put all the songs on it.
    actually after ritfw they did leash and garden
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    Mr DerpMr Derp Posts: 319
    metsfan wrote:

Parachutes and Bu$hleaguer were in the 2nd encore, too.
  • Options
    Mr Derp wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

um yeah, ain't tryin' to hate on you derp, but i'm gonna be pretty fuckin' peaved if i paid 140 fuckin' biscuits and the entire show isn't apart of the dvd
  • Options
    Mr DerpMr Derp Posts: 319
    No problem, just injecting some levity.

Personally their inclusion/exclusion isn't make or break for me (Yes, I've already paid my $140 for the shiniest edition). I just hope that if they aren't on there it's for a legitimately good reason and 10c/PJ tell us exactly why.

Really, what do they have to gain by maliciously excluding a song or two (especially from a package like this one)? I just can't picture Ed and Stone sitting in a dark room somewhere drawing up a master plan to rip us off by rereleasing the Unplugged DVD with "2 'Bonus Songs!" 10 years from now.
  • Options
    It would seem weird not to inlcude the full performance, but I bet they dont. Certainly not the between track banter and probably not all the songs. I hope I'm wrong. If they don't include them, there's just about 0% chance that they'll ever tell us why...
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 14,002
    Mr Derp wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

actually leash and garden were played cause i have a bootleg of unplugged with leash and garden. but hey good joke, i lol'ed
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    actually leash and garden were played cause i have a bootleg of unplugged with leash and garden. but hey good joke, i lol'ed
    Ditto. I think your bootleg is wrong, probably just two tracks tacked on the end. Wouldn't the encore be more widely circulated if it existed?
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Happy to be adding a third copy of Unplugged to the two I already have. Thanks PJ for finally releasing this amazing performance.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    bazzer wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    Ditto. I think your bootleg is wrong, probably just two tracks tacked on the end. Wouldn't the encore be more widely circulated if it existed?
    I do believe you are correct as far as those tracks being tacked on and part of another performance because the copy I had included those two tracks as well
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    I am happy that it is coming out at all. At least all the PJ originals are guaranteed.
  • Options
    danny72688 wrote:
    I am happy that it is coming out at all. At least all the PJ originals are guaranteed.

I'm not too disappointed about losing RITFW from unplugged. Quite frankly, I've never thought the performance was all that great. But I'd hate to see RITFW not on the Drop in the Park vinyls. '92 electric versions of RITFW were killer.