Options

Jamily

milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
edited April 2009 in The Porch
Does anyone else hate this term for Pearl Jam fans?
It sounds so cheesy...
"The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    milarso wrote:
    It sounds so cheesy...

yeah..it annoys me a bit for some reason.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i like it. it brings me closer to all of you. We're all Jamily!!!!

hahahah jk, it's a bit corny.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    I really don't care either way, but you won't catch me saying it. ;)
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    cmon changeinways, just say it once... we're all in this jamily together...
  • Options
    It is cheesy.......I am not sure what I think about the term....I am getting used to it...I kinda like cheesy things
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,491
    Mmmmmmmmmmm.......cheesy. :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    funnygirl wrote:
    It is cheesy.......I am not sure what I think about the term....I am getting used to it...I kinda like cheesy things
    I like cheese... now if the word came cut out of cheese... i'd at least eat it! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    I think i preffered being a pearl jam fan before the whole "jamily" thing but whatever.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,199
    Damnit! Now you got her started on cheese again.

As for me, I hate the term!
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Damnit! Now you got her started on cheese again.
    :mrgreen:
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    funnygirl wrote:
    I like cheese... now if the word came cut out of cheese... i'd at least eat it! :mrgreen:

Maybe I'm immature, but I find it impossible to read that sentence and see anything other than "cut" and "the" and "cheese."

As to Jamily, I think it's lame, but I also don't really know anyone that uses it.

Cheddar is better.
  • Options

Maybe I'm immature, but I find it impossible to read that sentence and see anything other than "cut" and "the" and "cheese."

Cheddar is better.
    i think I like you.... :oops: ;):lol:
  • Options
    We're just like a bunch of kids who share a real bad last name, like Bong. I had a college ta freshman year named, Pak Bong. Swear to God. What class? Plant Bio!! I digress, Jamily is what were stuck with and I've become proud of it. Cmon Chageinwaves, SAY IT! :)
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    fanch, where are you??
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    We're just like a bunch of kids who share a real bad last name, like Bong. I had a college ta freshman year named, Pak Bong. Swear to God. What class? Plant Bio!! I digress, Jamily is what were stuck with and I've become proud of it. Cmon Chageinwaves, SAY IT! :)
    my maiden name was Reiffer... pronounced Reefer.... maybe I shoulda married Mr.Bong :mrgreen:
  • Options
    Jamily, as a word, said out loud... sounds so horrible... I mean I get it... Jamily/Family but like it reminds me of that show Family Matters.... ya know... like Jamily Matters, which bothers me... not that I didn't like that show but I keep thinking that we'll be at a show and ol' Urkel will show up and start asking us all if he "did that".
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    milarso wrote:
    It sounds so cheesy...
    Yeah, I'll just say ditto to this post.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,909
    Jamily + Wikipedia .. info on Jamily!!!

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1191033,00.html

It's a Pearl Jamily Affair
    The long, strange story of how obsessive fans turned Pearl Jam into the new Grateful Dead.

By Whitney Pastorek

On a balmy September afternoon at Washington State's Gorge Amphitheatre, tailgaters mill around on a lawn overlooking the Columbia River. As tonight's headliner warms up inside the venue, concert bootlegs blast out of cars, and a woman writes ''100'' on her arm in celebration of the number of times she's seen the band live. Old friends reunite, Hacky Sacks fly, and the occasional puff of something other than tobacco floats through the air. But despite all appearances, this is not a Grateful Dead show. It's a Pearl Jam concert. America, meet the Jamily.

Admit it: You sort of thought Pearl Jam broke up. After 1998's Yield, the onetime alt-rock superstars slowly faded from public view, releasing two lackluster studio discs 2000's Binaural and 2002's Riot Act — that sold poorly compared with the band's early successes. But even as their mainstream profile diminished, Pearl Jam were quietly developing a fanatical cult following. The band now packs arenas for two, sometimes three nights in a row, thanks to thousands of intensely dedicated fans who call themselves the Jamily and travel hundreds of miles to sing along with every word. Sixteen years into their career, Pearl Jam have unexpectedly morphed into a modern Grateful Dead, and it just might be their saving grace. ''You don't really set out for that to happen,'' says frontman Eddie Vedder. ''But I think it's kind of the ultimate compliment.''

Pearl Jam's journey from megastardom to cultdom has been an unusual one — more often it works the other way. Formed from the ashes of grunge forerunners Mother Love Bone in 1990, the band released its first album, Ten, in 1991, and it has since gone 12 times platinum, thanks to hits like ''Alive,'' ''Even Flow,'' and ''Jeremy.'' Multiplatinum follow-ups Vs.(1993) and Vitalogy (1994) solidified their status as rock icons. But the band's provocative liberal politics and high-profile confrontation with Ticketmaster alienated some of their fans, and Vedder was never really comfortable with fame. By the mid-'90s, Pearl Jam had pretty much stopped promoting themselves, refusing to shoot videos or do most interviews. ''We had to take it back,'' says guitarist Mike McCready, ''because we were all gonna lose our minds.''

Six months after the Gorge show, Vedder is sitting in a rehearsal studio inside Pearl Jam's Seattle headquarters, a large converted warehouse that's home to the band's management, publicity, and merchandising operations. It's six weeks before the May 2 release of the band's eighth album, Pearl Jam, and the place is abuzz with tour and CD-release preparations. The album's first single, the gritty antiwar track ''World Wide Suicide,'' has hit No. 1 on the rock charts faster than any Pearl Jam song before it, and in his notoriously taciturn way, even Vedder is excited. ''It's great to hear that people like the song, and especially a song with a certain amount of context,'' he says. ''I don't think it's adding to the negativity, and it's a release because you've found a way to process what you're thinking about every f---ing day.''
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    my maiden name was Reiffer... pronounced Reefer.... maybe I shoulda married Mr.Bong :mrgreen:

:shock:
    So you are a pot head then? ;)
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I think it sounds dumb as fuck, but nobody else is thinkin of anything.
  • Options
    Thorns2010 wrote:
    Gmoney wrote:

:shock:
    So you are a pot head then? ;)
    nope never touched it.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Did you ever use this line? ;)
    "My name is Brandi Reefer and I'm smokin' hot"
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    LongRd. wrote:
    Did you ever use this line? ;)
    "My name is Brandi Reefer and I'm smokin' hot"

Oh, good one!
  • Options
    Back during the 2006 Avacado tour, there was an article in RS about this. They said us fans are as obsessive as Dead fans, which I don't deny, but they labeled all of us as this "Jamily", when in reality, it seems to be a more societal label rather than one that the actual fans picked. I mean, Dead Head, that's a cool name for the crazy cultish following.
  • Options
    fanch75fanch75 Posts: 3,736
    When I think "Jamily," I think someone who:

1) Obsesses over posters of shows they didn't even attend
    2) Speaks in song lyric quotes
    3) Feels entitled to everything Pearl Jam, goes into convulsions if they aren't in the first 3 rows for 20 shows every tour
    4) Starts a thread every week about Jamily posters, Jamily hoodies, and other Jamily things.
    5) Believes that the riot act album is some sort of misunderstood masterpiece of art
    Do you remember Rock & Roll Radio?
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Jamily, as a word, said out loud... sounds so horrible... I mean I get it... Jamily/Family but like it reminds me of that show Family Matters.... ya know... like Jamily Matters, which bothers me... not that I didn't like that show but I keep thinking that we'll be at a show and ol' Urkel will show up and start asking us all if he "did that".

Ah. If not for Family Matters, I would not have known how to tell my parents that I stole their car and drove it through the living room. Good show. Great life lessons.

I think the term Jamily speaks volumes about this place.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    Know the "Enable word censoring" option?
    wish you would be able to select what words are in it... I'd delete all the swear ones and put Jamily instead.
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    I hated this label at first, but it's been around for so long now that I don't mind hearing it as much...hell, we could be called worse.
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    I've no problem with people using the term 'Jamily' but like others have already said, you won't catch me using it ;)

I may have on occasion used 'jammers' though... :oops:
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    fanch75 wrote:
    When I think "Jamily," I think someone who:

1) Obsesses over posters of shows they didn't even attend
    2) Speaks in song lyric quotes
    3) Feels entitled to everything Pearl Jam, goes into convulsions if they aren't in the first 3 rows for 20 shows every tour
    4) Starts a thread every week about Jamily posters, Jamily hoodies, and other Jamily things.
    5) Believes that the riot act album is some sort of misunderstood masterpiece of art

Yes! Awesome Fanch!- now you need to go to Wikipedia and put this in there!